Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 15/12/20

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:48 pm

There seems to be increased pressure on the government to review the relaxation of the restrictions for Xmas. At the end of the day I’ve heard many joe public asking why are the government relaxing restrictions over Xmas as we are facing quite a serious situation. Well it’s upto people if they want to restrict further aswell - it’s their choice (if for example there are no changes to the current relaxation). If people don’t think it’s safe to mix over Xmas then don’t. It’s not like everyone has followed the rules from the beginning anyway (many have thank goodness). If you are wondering why we aren’t going into a stricter lockdown now and continue over Xmas then perhaps it’s your own responsibility to not mix. Like the government has said although the rules are there you don’t have to mix to the max. For example of it states only mix with 2 other households (for example) then just mix with one or none. I for one will not be spending Xmas with my family as am not well anyway...I cannot risk getting anything otherwise I’d likely end up in hospital even with a bad cold. That would take up a hospital bed. Also my elderly parents won’t be mixing either. My sister has bad asthma so that’s a no go really too. It is what it is...it’s a depressing time make no bones about it but it is what it is. Will be Interesting to see if the government are going to change the Xmas rules. Personally I believe they should and I know there will be people who will disagree. I’m not disputing that Xmas is a important time and time to spend with family......but I want to look forward to seeing my family after Xmasand next Xmas! Cross fingers with this vaccine things will start to ease but it could be months before that happens.

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:There seems to be increased pressure on the government to review the relaxation of the restrictions for Xmas. At the end of the day I’ve heard many joe public asking why are the government relaxing restrictions over Xmas as we are facing quite a serious situation. Well it’s upto people if they want to restrict further aswell - it’s their choice (if for example there are no changes to the current relaxation). If people don’t think it’s safe to mix over Xmas then don’t. It’s not like everyone has followed the rules from the beginning anyway (many have thank goodness). If you are wondering why we aren’t going into a stricter lockdown now and continue over Xmas then perhaps it’s your own responsibility to not mix. Like the government has said although the rules are there you don’t have to mix to the max. For example of it states only mix with 2 other households (for example) then just mix with one or none. I for one will not be spending Xmas with my family as am not well anyway...I cannot risk getting anything otherwise I’d likely end up in hospital even with a bad cold. That would take up a hospital bed. Also my elderly parents won’t be mixing either. My sister has bad asthma so that’s a no go really too. It is what it is...it’s a depressing time make no bones about it but it is what it is. Will be Interesting to see if the government are going to change the Xmas rules. Personally I believe they should and I know there will be people who will disagree. I’m not disputing that Xmas is a important time and time to spend with family......but I want to look forward to seeing my family after Xmasand next Xmas! Cross fingers with this vaccine things will start to ease but it could be months before that happens.

I couldn't agree more - great post! I also suspect that there may yet be some bending to pressure and an eleventh hour reversal of this promised relaxation - at least to some degree. :thumbup:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Today: UK

Tuesday 15th December 2020

506 New deaths

Total deaths 64,997

New Virus 18,450

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 16/12/20

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:23 am

Covid: Staff at Cardiff vaccination centre test positive -

Nine members of staff at a mass vaccination centre in Cardiff have tested positive for coronavirus.

A staff email from Cardiff and Vale Health Board said vaccinations had been "paused" and staff working at the site were being tested.

Anyone identified as a close contact would be invited for testing, the email said.

No "additional risk has been identified to anyone who has been vaccinated at the centre", the board added.

The email, seen by BBC Wales, said: "We can confirm that nine staff at our mass vaccination centre in Splott have now tested positive for Covid-19.

"We have implemented testing among staff at the unit to manage the outbreak and minimise the spread."

The email added: "Our Covid-19 vaccinations over the next few days will be paused while we carry out testing of staff and we would appreciate your patience at this time."

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:45 pm

BREAKING -

Two household limit at Christmas in Wales to be made law
People will only be able to meet two households plus an additional single person household in Wales over the festive period by law.

The Welsh government has clarified that guidance set by the first minister on Wednesday will be set out in regulations.

It comes despite earlier reports that the four UK nations had agreed to allow three households to meet.

The relaxation in the rules have been planned for 23-27 December.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Track and trace? Did you know you've only got to be in same place as a positive case to be self isolated by track & trace app! Friend went for coffee with 2 others another person tested positive so everyone who went to cafe that day as to isolate for 10 days regardless of what time they were there ? Glad I don't use it no wonder so many people are self isolating if this is how they run it.. :o

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 17/12/20

Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:23 pm

UPDATED:

Thursday 17th December 2020

United Kingdom

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 18/12/20

Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:11 am

Covid-19 leading cause of death in Wales again -

Covid-19 was the biggest cause of death in Wales in November for the first time in six months, new figures show.

The virus accounted for 21.6% of all registered deaths, a higher proportion than in England, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Covid had last been the leading cause of death in both April and May before dropping back.

The mortality rate rose "significantly" for a second month, to 260 deaths per 100,000 people in Wales.

It was also more than twice the rate in the most deprived areas compared with the least deprived areas.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 18/12/20

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:34 am

Covid in Wales: How many deaths have there been? -

The total number of reported deaths from Covid-19 in Wales has now passed 3,000, with a further 38 reported on Friday by Public Health Wales (PHW).

It takes the total number of deaths from Covid-19 in Wales to 3,011.

There were 2,801 new cases reported, taking the total number of cases since the pandemic began to 117,367.

The case rate for Wales has jumped to 562.2 cases per 100,000 for the past seven days, up from 530.2 on Thursday.

Covid: Boris Johnson 'hoping to avoid' national lockdown

PM Boris Johnson says he is "hoping to avoid" another national lockdown in England but that Covid-19 cases have increased "very much" in recent weeks.
Nearly 90% of hospital beds in England are full, with coronavirus adding to normal winter demands.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 19/12/20

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:13 am

UPDATED SATURDAY 19TH DECEMBER 2020

UK

489 New deaths

28,507 New cases

Total deaths 66,541

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 20/12/20

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 am

A Wales-wide lockdown has been brought forward to Sunday with festive plans cancelled for all but Christmas Day.

First Minister Mark Drakeford told people to "stay at home" after urgent talks with ministers over a new strain of coronavirus.

Plans to relax rules from 23 to 27 December to allow people to celebrate with loved-ones have been scrapped.

Meeting up is now limited to Christmas Day.

Announcing the new measures, meaning people have to stay at home and only go out for essential reasons, Mr Drakeford said hundreds of people had already contracted the new, "more aggressive" strain of the virus in Wales.

"While we all want to avoid further disruption to businesses and plans for Christmas, our overriding duty is to protect lives here in Wales," he said.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 21/12/20

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:49 am

Covid: Cases rise as Christmas rules come into force -

Coronavirus cases in the UK have risen by 35,928 - nearly double the number recorded last Sunday, figures show.

Public Health England medical director Yvonne Doyle said the "sharp" rise in cases was of "serious concern".

It comes as Health Secretary Matt Hancock warned that a new variant of the virus was "getting out of control".

Christmas plans have been scrapped or restricted for millions across the UK amid warnings the variant is up to 70% more transmissible than previous types.

The number of new UK infections on Sunday is an all-time high for recorded cases and nearly double the 18,447 cases reported a week ago.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:21 am

BORIS THE CLOWN

Late on lockdown

Late on face masks

Late on PPE

Late on final Xmas plans

Late on Brexit deal

etc etc

Costing lives beyond :cry: , for me Boris Johnson one of the worst ever PM'S.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:27 am

Updated: Monday 21st December 2020

UK

67,401 Total deaths

326 New deaths

35,928 New cases

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Funny how the rest of the world have put a ban on the uk travel perhaps we should have done the same in march this year rather than letting 20 thousand come back from the likes of india pakistan etc once we where in lockdown.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm

The new variant of coronavirus "looks very likely to be the significant driver" of the growth in cases in Wales in recent weeks, the country's deputy chief medical officer Prof Chris Jones has said.

He told a Welsh government briefing: “On Monday last week, we were aware of 10 cases in Wales.

“By Friday, this had risen to 20, mainly in Bridgend and the Vale of Glamorgan.

"But a new analysis by the weekend, suggested this new strain is much more common and it is present all over Wales – this includes north Wales where overall rates of the virus are lower than in south Wales

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:57 pm

stickywicket wrote:The new variant of coronavirus "looks very likely to be the significant driver" of the growth in cases in Wales in recent weeks, the country's deputy chief medical officer Prof Chris Jones has said.

He told a Welsh government briefing: “On Monday last week, we were aware of 10 cases in Wales.

“By Friday, this had risen to 20, mainly in Bridgend and the Vale of Glamorgan.

"But a new analysis by the weekend, suggested this new strain is much more common and it is present all over Wales – this includes north Wales where overall rates of the virus are lower than in south Wales

Today advisor says 60% of new covid cases is new strain? Their figures are so out of line with reality its untrue!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm

montyblue wrote:Funny how the rest of the world have put a ban on the uk travel perhaps we should have done the same in march this year rather than letting 20 thousand come back from the likes of india pakistan etc once we where in lockdown.

Can you ban your own people from returning home privately when gvmnt paid for charter planes to do same later? They certainly were not tourists come to see buck house ect.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 pm

montyblue wrote:Funny how the rest of the world have put a ban on the uk travel perhaps we should have done the same in march this year rather than letting 20 thousand come back from the likes of india pakistan etc once we where in lockdown.

We had no choice. They were British citizens. The opposition parties were going nuts about Brits being stranded abroad and the UK government doing nothing to repatriate them. The UK government chartered planes and used the RAF.

You cannot criticise them for doing nothing (in your view) and then criticise them for doing something.
Make your mind up.
Or do you think Labour/Liberals/Plaid/SNP were wrong in demanding the repatriation of Brits abroad? It seems Labour would have stranded them abroad and left them to whatever happened. What would you have done?

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 22/12/20

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:03 am

Covid: Wales' NHS 'stretched to limit' with 2,300 cases in hospital -

NHS staff are "stretched to their limit" as hospitals try to cope with more than 2,300 Covid patients, Wales' first minister has said.

Mark Drakeford said critical care units were "operating far beyond their normal capacity".

A Welsh Government briefing revealed there were more than 100 deaths with Covid-19 reported over the weekend.

It comes as the new variant of the virus as been found "all over Wales" - with at least 600 cases.

"Unless we can regain some control of the spread of coronavirus, I am sorry to say we will see more deaths," said Mr Drakeford.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics suggest 28% of sample swabs taken in the second week of December were the new variant of the virus.

Wales' deputy chief medical officer Dr Chris Jones said public health colleagues "feel this new strain could be causing up to 60%" of Covid infections in Wales.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Why is O.N.S giving out figures for Wales which is from 11th dec Showing massive increase of deaths from around 3400? to 4200 surely WG had figures just after 11th but its taken 11days to come out? Being a cynic wonder if it's not to show WG in bad light that WG didn't announce fugures at time like they normally do! :o

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:46 pm

Wales now has the worst coronavirus infection rate in the world.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/poli ... d-19506904

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:00 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Wales now has the worst coronavirus infection rate in the world.

its been corrected to the 2nd worst...

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:33 pm

skidemin wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Wales now has the worst coronavirus infection rate in the world.

its been corrected to the 2nd worst...

Well that's something for the Dripford fans to celebrate.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:09 pm

Updated: Tuesday 22nd December 2020

UK

New deaths 691

Total deaths 68,307

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:12 am

glas wrote:

We had no choice. They were British citizens. The opposition parties were going nuts about Brits being stranded abroad and the UK government doing nothing to repatriate them. The UK government chartered planes and used the RAF.

You cannot criticise them for doing nothing (in your view) and then criticise them for doing something.
Make your mind up.
Or do you think Labour/Liberals/Plaid/SNP were wrong in demanding the repatriation of Brits abroad? It seems Labour would have stranded them abroad and left them to whatever happened. What would you have done?

What a load of tosh. The government were letting in Chinese/ Italian tourists through Heathrow at the start of the epidemic and carried on letting in flights from New York in the summer when the city was rife with covid. No person protection/ track and trace or quarantine methods worth a cup of salt were in place. The whole British government response to this pandemic has been a shambles. Our death toll considering we are an island tells it's own story.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Bobby banks wrote:
glas wrote:

Make your mind up.

What a load of tosh. The government were letting in Chinese/ Italian tourists through Heathrow at the start of the epidemic and carried on letting in flights from New York in the summer when the city was rife with covid. No person protection/ track and trace or quarantine methods worth a cup of salt were in place. The whole British government response to this pandemic has been a shambles. Our death toll considering we are an island tells it's own story.

In Covid terms that's ancient history. The UK is the most densely populated nation in Europe, and probably the unhealthiest. Two factors that have had a major impact. Whatever Governments across Europe have tried, it hasn't worked.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:32 pm

New strain now from south africa more deadly than the new variant ffs never ending more contacious again

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:07 pm

montyblue wrote:New strain now from south africa more deadly than the new variant ffs never ending more contacious again

Thought it was same as our variant? These are being picked up by uk and s africa because we have far better research into the genomes of sar-2-covid than most countries, hence we know we got it ....other countries have it but not picked it up yet ! Interesting read my daughter is a genetic technologist at uhw ... you watch it will start coming out in other countries soon !

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 23/12/20

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:11 pm

New strains are likely to be widespread just not picked up yet.