Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How long realistically do u think?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:47 pm

This lockdown will last? I know we are in official lockdown for 3 weeks, BUT do u think it will last for few more weeks? Months?

I seen on the news the government are saying if we can keep it to about 20k deaths we’ve done well! So they obviously know that it’s not going to last 3 weeks,

I’m saying that they should come out and say we’re on lockdown till July, because they’re be riots and it does give hope doing it in stages,

But what do u guys think?

Re: How long realistically do u think?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 pm

craig1927 wrote:This lockdown will last? I know we are in official lockdown for 3 weeks, BUT do u think it will last for few more weeks? Months?

I seen on the news the government are saying if we can keep it to about 20k deaths we’ve done well! So they obviously know that it’s not going to last 3 weeks,

I’m saying that they should come out and say we’re on lockdown till July, because they’re be riots and it does give hope doing it in stages,

This is purely guesswork based solely on what I’ve seen / read in media.
Lockdown as it is now I can see happening until around mid - late May which is when I think we’ll see a steady reduction of cases / deaths. Hi I think there may then be slight changes in what we can do ( not sure what) but there will be rules in place still.
I believe schools will remain closed but I think that staff will return to school early July to sort things for September. Travel restrictions will clearly depend on where you’re going but I’d be surprised if we’re not allowed some movement by late July - August.
I have a feeling that the remainder of the football season may start in July (perhaps behind closed doors initially).

Before I have any abuse, we were asked our thoughts. In truth I’m not ultra confident in any of that but as I said, it’s purely my estimation at the current time.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:18 pm

12 weeks I think it will be

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:45 pm

How long is a piece of string? :?

It depends on so many factors, it is pretty much impossible to say at this time

So long as people stick to the advice given and do their part(s) as individuals and families, it will hopefully pass quicker than many might think

Over to us (as responsible citizens).... ;)

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 am

craig1927 wrote:This lockdown will last? I know we are in official lockdown for 3 weeks, BUT do u think it will last for few more weeks? Months?

much depends on these 3 million testing kits they are trying out now. and finding out the actual figures of people who have already had it should these tests work..
if they do not work accurately ..I agree with svens answer about string.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 am

It definately wont end after 3 weeks!
End of June would be my guess and even then a limited return to normal

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44 am

Here is Spain they have now increased the lockdown further to non essential workers be allowing to leave houses.

The full lockdown has been two weeks and they continue to make guidelines stricter as no signs of improvement at the moment.

The peak is still yet to come.

The UK is a few weeks behind and I don’t believe the measures are tough enough yet in UK to stem the passing on off the virus. I only hope people heed the advice because the sooner they do the sooner things will start to get better.

It is impossible as a few have said to put a time scale on it.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:32 am

The number of people who have died with coronavirus in the UK has now reached 1,019, with a further 260 deaths announced on Saturday.

There are now 17,089 confirmed cases in the UK.

In the letter being sent to 30 million households at an anticipated cost of £5.8m, Mr Johnson writes: "From the start, we have sought to put in the right measures at the right time.

"We will not hesitate to go further if that is what the scientific and medical advice tells us we must do."

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:40 am

Dobbin wrote:Here is Spain they have now increased the lockdown further to non essential workers be allowing to leave houses.

The full lockdown has been two weeks and they continue to make guidelines stricter as no signs of improvement at the moment.

The peak is still yet to come.

The UK is a few weeks behind and I don’t believe the measures are tough enough yet in UK to stem the passing on off the virus. I only hope people heed the advice because the sooner they do the sooner things will start to get better.

It is impossible as a few have said to put a time scale on it.

How long has Spain been on lock down?

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:57 am

14th March which was originally meant to run to the 29th March but was extended further until mid April.

Further restrictions have been put in over weekend re non key workers.

Easter is massive over here so extending the lockdown past the Easter weekend will keep people from celebrating and lining the streets for processions as they normally do.

The peak is expected to be next weekend which will be three weeks after the lockdown from what we are being told.

I hope people heed the advice of Boris otherwise I fear the UK will head the same way. I think that if UK had lockdown earlier it would have stemmed the transfer of horrendous virus but not stopped it entirely.

Challenging times ahead for all - stay home stay safe

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:08 am

Dobbin wrote:14th March which was originally meant to run to the 29th March but was extended further until mid April.

Easter is massive over here so extending the lockdown past the Easter weekend will keep people from celebrating and lining the streets for processions as they normally do.

The peak is expected to be next weekend which will be three weeks after the lockdown from what we are being told.

I hope people heed the advice of Boris otherwise I fear the UK will head the same way. I think that if UK had lockdown earlier it would have stemmed the transfer of horrendous virus but not stopped it entirely.

From what I have seen on TV there is a lag between social action taken (a lock down) and a change in figures on infection and death due to COVID-19. That lag is about 3 weeks which would tie in with what you are being told about the peak of infection.

The UK has only been in lock down for 1 week so for the next 2 weeks there is only going to be bad news. Of course we must wait to see if our lock down is enough to flatten the curve although I do believe most people are sensible and are following the guidelines.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Dobbin wrote:14th March which was originally meant to run to the 29th March but was extended further until mid April.

From what I have seen on TV there is a lag between social action taken (a lock down) and a change in figures on infection and death due to COVID-19. That lag is about 3 weeks which would tie in with what you are being told about the peak of infection.

The UK has only been in lock down for 1 week so for the next 2 weeks there is only going to be bad news. Of course we must wait to see if our lock down is enough to flatten the curve although I do believe most people are sensible and are following the guidelines.

I agree mate.
Importantly the death toll may still be rising in 2-3 weeks but after the peak it is hoped the new cases should fall and that should then gradually have a positive effect on the number of deaths.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

The Govt. is nos saying possibly 13 weeks. Of course they're painting worst-case scenarios, but I honestly think that 3/4 weeks is the max. before a substantial proportion of the population say 'sod it', whatever the risk/consequences. I know everyone is saying at the moment 'for as long as it takes', but you can't keep people penned up for such lengths of time, especially younger people who are virtually risk-free..

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:37 am

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:

The Govt. is nos saying possibly 13 weeks. Of course they're painting worst-case scenarios, but I honestly think that 3/4 weeks is the max. before a substantial proportion of the population say 'sod it', whatever the risk/consequences. I know everyone is saying at the moment 'for as long as it takes', but you can't keep people penned up for such lengths of time, especially younger people who are virtually risk-free..

I hope you are wrong but there is a distinct danger that might happen. One of the reasons given for delaying the lock down was 'compliance fatigue' where people would simply get tried of being isolated from friends and family.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:57 am

What is worrying is that despite being in a much tougher lockdown than we have been and for longer the death toll in Spain seems to be rising by the day.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:13 pm

davids wrote:What is worrying is that despite being in a much tougher lockdown than we have been and for longer the death toll in Spain seems to be rising by the day.

When they reach the peak there the new cases will hopefully plateau but deaths will continue to rise. Eventually, due to the plateau of new cases there will be a steady decrease in deaths.
As sad and alarming the number of deaths continues to be, we need to be watching the trend with the number of new cases.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:14 pm

How long is a piece of string.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Harries - Six months before we can review

Paul Brand from ITV News asks Dr Harries if current measures in place will continue beyond three weeks.

She points out the UK has only had one week of the measure and that the prime minister said the situation would be "reviewed" after the three weeks.

But she adds it would be "quite dangerous" to then revert to normal life.

"If we stop then all of our efforts will be waisted", she adds.

She says that measures may be reduced gradually over time.

Dr Harries says it might be two or three months before we see the longer-term impact, and about three to six months before to see "at which point we can actually get back to normal".

"And it is plausible it could go further than that", she adds.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:52 pm

Very last week of May or first week of June is the most quoted dates from the experts :thumbup:

Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Beginning of June would be my guess, the economy wouldn’t be able to take anything longer

The return to “normal” life would probably have to be staggered with with restrictions on opening times etc

Things will probably not be the same until a vaccine is found

But like most people I am only guessing

Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 pm

"Don’t expect to go to back normal life any time soon," was the message from today's UK government press conference.

And it’s not one any government would want to deliver.

At least another two weeks must pass before it will even know if its more stringent social distancing measures are having an effect.

The process of lifting them could take much longer, with some restrictions being in place, on-and-off, for six months.

But, the government tried to offer some reassurance on one of the biggest concerns raised in the outbreak so far.

Robert Jenrick reeled off a long list of protective equipment, running to the hundreds of millions, that he says has been delivered to the NHS frontline.

The coming weeks will certainly test if it is enough.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:10 pm

'No doubt' lockdown will be longer than three weeks

Mark Drakeford says he has “no doubt at all” the restrictions will go beyond three weeks and warned individuals and businesses to expect a “long haul”.

He was responding to comments made by England’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Jenny Harries, who said she expected the restrictions to continue for up to six months.

Mr Drakeford said: “There is no doubt at all that we are facing restrictions beyond the three weeks of the immediate period that we made on Monday of last week.

“I think there will be a gradual reduction in restrictions over time.

“We may need significant restrictions for longer than the original three weeks and beyond that period there will be time when we don’t just go from everything being restricted to nothing being restricted. That’s going to be a long haul, a difficult haul for individuals and businesses.”

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:47 pm

My opinion:

Spain the whole of April, maybe some of May.

UK as not as strict till July or August.