Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gary Neville Plan on how to finish the season gets approval

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:53 am

Man Utd legend Gary Neville's five-point plan that will delight Liverpool, Leeds United, Cardiff City and Swansea City and gets approval from others .

There has been much debate about how football authorities bring this term to a conclusion and Neville has suggested a way forward

By Mathew Davies

Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville

Sunday 29th March 2020

Manchester United legend Gary Neville has put forward a five-point plan to save the football season amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The Premier League, Championship and every division of the game has been put on hold due to the virus, with April 30 now the earliest date that the 2019-20 campaign will return.

But that is seen as a conservative estimate given the seriousness of the situation worldwide, with calls in some parts for the season to be called off completely.

Yesterday our colleagues at Football.London reported that league chiefs are now setting out plans to finish the 2019-20 campaign behind closed doors over a period of four to six weeks starting in July.

That is something similar to what Neville suggested on Twitter. The Sky Sports pundit laid out his proposal in a five-pronged bulletin:

finish this season in a short timeframe when safe
condense next season if needed
open transfer window from May and run it all the way through 20/21 to give clubs agility
extend player contracts to complete 19/20
financial packages for clubs in need inc non-league
Neville's tweet received the seal of approval from Swansea City's Wayne Routledge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Man Utd Gary Neville's five-point plan that will Delight

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:53 am

Gary Neville’s Tweet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Gary Neville Plan on how to finish the season gets appro

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:11 pm

If the season could be completed by maybe mid or late July, then start the new season in September The players are having a long break now, so they shouldn't need a close season. September to end of April gives you 35 weeks or so. Have no League cup or international breaks so league and European games can be played mid week. Should easily complete a league season and possibly keep the FA cup, but have no replays at all.
And if this seasons end is to be played behind closed doors, then stream all games on line, or TV, season ticket holders should get it free while others pay a nominal fee for it. I wouldn't want or expect to get some of my season ticket money back, it's not the clubs fault, I just want some football back.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm getting sick of this. The 2019/20 season is finished football is not that important. Everyone should be concentrating on beating the COVID-19 virus not worrying about whether Liverpool win the PL, Leeds and WBA get promoted or players receive wages/bonuses and clubs sponsorship payments.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:43 pm

The whole world is in turmoil and Neville got his 5 point plan for football.For fucks sake I’m more concerned for my families welfare than when a football can be kicked again.
As marks of respect all sports Know it alls should be directing their opinions on keeping people safe.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:53 pm

theclaw wrote:The whole world is in turmoil and Neville got his 5 point plan for football.For fucks sake I’m more concerned for my families welfare than when a football can be kicked again.
As marks of respect all sports Know it alls should be directing their opinions on keeping people safe.

Neville can say what he wants, not a hope in hell of this happening. I will be surprised if we step into any Stadium in 2020.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Would finishing this season starting again in February 2021 and finishing beginning of May 2021 be an option considering how bad current world affairs are? I suppose financially, a lot of the smaller clubs would struggle, but they will in all potential options so financial aid packages may need to be put in place.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:42 pm

Fuk the season this is an absolute joke, people’s loves are at risk who gives a shit about the football. Cancel the season just like the rugby and re start a new season when the government says it’s safe to do so.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:Fuk the season this is an absolute joke, people’s loves are at risk who gives a shit about the football. Cancel the season just like the rugby and re start a new season when the government says it’s safe to do so.

Agreed rugby so far ahead of football on many fronts.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:08 am

TERRYB wrote:
theclaw wrote:The whole world is in turmoil and Neville got his 5 point plan for football.For fucks sake I’m more concerned for my families welfare than when a football can be kicked again.

Neville can say what he wants, not a hope in hell of this happening. I will be surprised if we step into any Stadium in 2020.

I'm with you on this mate,f@ck the money side of anything,far far worse going on,other than footy ffs! :old: :bluebird:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:40 am

Even if games are played behind closed doors how are you going to stop players spitting, you see it in every game and by almost all players. Are they going to keep 2 metres apart and wear protective masks. Be sensible and responsible. Ffs cancel the season. Forget the FA the Government should cancel the season.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I'm getting sick of this. The 2019/20 season is finished football is not that important. Everyone should be concentrating on beating the COVID-19 virus not worrying about whether Liverpool win the PL, Leeds and WBA get promoted or players receive wages/bonuses and clubs sponsorship payments.

Spot on.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I'm getting sick of this. The 2019/20 season is finished football is not that important. Everyone should be concentrating on beating the COVID-19 virus not worrying about whether Liverpool win the PL, Leeds and WBA get promoted or players receive wages/bonuses and clubs sponsorship payments.

:thumbup: Thousand of these from me mate well said :thumbup: