A forum for all things Cardiff City

Recording Covid

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:46 pm

The numbers of recorded cases?
How are they collated?
Is it hospital admissions?
Hospital deaths only?
Hospital recoveries only?

If these are the true numbers, then why are we preparing stadia etc to house the infected?

I appreciate that the Government need to contain the spread BUT the numbers and the overriding strategy seems to be hiding the true numbers...

Hoping I'm wrong

Re: Recording Covid

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:07 pm

From what i am lead to believe - Figs are just from the Hospitals - and not people who have died at home etc..

This is the same for people who might have the virus and are at home - they are not added to the figs .

Each of the 4 nations give their figs out daily and are added up to give us a daily UK fig .

Will try and find info to confirm the above - but i am sure it's just Hospital results .

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:52 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:The numbers of recorded cases?
How are they collated?
Hospital deaths only?

If these are the true numbers, then why are we preparing stadia etc to house the infected?

I appreciate that the Government need to contain the spread BUT the numbers and the overriding strategy seems to be hiding the true numbers...

Hoping I'm wrong

the prep is more to do with what might happen to what is happening..

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:55 pm

This was put up earlier from BBC WALES Today - Look at the last line " PHW " stressed the true number of cases was likely to be much higher ...So do un reported figs get added on the next day ?? These figs are just what has come from the PHW .
Also anyone who has died - The family must be told first before it is reported and added to figs .

There have been 14 new coronavirus deaths confirmed in Wales, Public Health Wales has said.

This brings the total number of deaths linked to Covid-19 to 62.

There were 210 new cases of the virus, bringing the total confirmed cases in Wales to 1,451.

This is the largest daily increase announced so far.

However, PHW stressed the true number of cases was likely to be much higher.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:09 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:The numbers of recorded cases?
How are they collated?
Hospital deaths only?

Hoping I'm wrong

We may need every bed and more. The figures suggest that the lockdown is having a better effect here than it has in some other countries but its early days and this will go on a long time. Fingers crossed it doesn't speed up and the NHS can cope with a steady flow of patients which they can manage. Much more likelihood of keeping people alive if they're not overrun like you saw in Italy and Spain. A bit more time to get these critical ventilators ready.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm

What seems to have been no longer mentioned is the amount of people who have sadly died who had existing underlying health issues.

There is evidence that there have been deaths of people from Coronavirus who had absolutely no underlying health issues but I've not seen or heard any figures to show how many of the deaths so far have been to people with no underlying issues. Have I missed that?

It would also be interesting to know how many deaths the NHS would "normally" expect to occur over the same period of time in a year without this virus.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Official figures now show that the UK death toll is now at 1,408. The Department of Health and Social Care says 134,946 people have been tested for the coronavirus, with 22,141 returning positive.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:49 pm

davids wrote:What seems to have been no longer mentioned is the amount of people who have sadly died who had existing underlying health issues.

There is evidence that there have been deaths of people from Coronavirus who had absolutely no underlying health issues but I've not seen or heard any figures to show how many of the deaths so far have been to people with no underlying issues. Have I missed that?

It would also be interesting to know how many deaths the NHS would "normally" expect to occur over the same period of time in a year without this virus.

no there is not much info on the breakdowns ..but I did read that of the 190 deaths in England yesterday 187 were of people aged between 59 and 105... so age is defo a factor.. and men seem to fair worse than women .

and there is this from the Italian National Health Institute { the article isn't but the figures are } its a fortnight old though average age 79 and 99% had underlying medical issues...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... italy-says

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:08 pm

dogfound wrote:
davids wrote:What seems to have been no longer mentioned is the amount of people who have sadly died who had existing underlying health issues.

no there is not much info on the breakdowns ..but I did read that of the 190 deaths in England yesterday 187 were of people aged between 59 and 105... so age is defo a factor.. and men seem to fair worse than women .

and there is this from the Italian National Health Institute { the article isn't but the figures are } its a fortnight old though average age 79 and 99% had underlying medical issues...

I think the term underlying health issues is quite broad though and by the time you much over 50 there's probably quite a lot who have at least some issue. I'm sure its done to give us all a bit of reassurance to the rest of us but I've no doubt that some labelled with underlying health issues still had plenty of life to give.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 pm

epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I think the term underlying health issues is quite broad though and by the time you much over 50 there's probably quite a lot who have at least some issue. I'm sure its done to give us all a bit of reassurance to the rest of us but I've no doubt that some labelled with underlying health issues still had plenty of life to give.

I dunno . we aint going to know the exact details until its over and people can break it down, but our government have listed the conditions that make you more at risk...and the stats show which ones massively effect your chances along with age .. cardiovascular disease .diabetes , chronic respiratory disease , hypertension , cancer in that order.. these are mainly the causes for our annual half a million deaths in a normal year.. so I would imagine when its said underlying medical conditions its more often than not these..

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 pm

BREAKDOWN OF PRE-EXISTING CONDITION
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease
13.2%
10.5%
Diabetes
9.2%
7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0%
6.3%
Hypertension
8.4%
6.0%
Cancer
7.6%
5.6%
no pre-existing conditions
0.9%

Click on the link below and go to the post with the worldometers link ( Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 am). Scroll down to Coronavirus Worldometer Sections, then click on Age, Sex, Existing Condition. There's plenty of useful information in the link.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213789

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 am

UK's true death toll still unclear
Michelle Roberts

Health editor, BBC News online

The UK's Office for National Statistics (ONS) has released new figures on coronavirus deaths in England and Wales, which include how many were registered up to 20 March – the day that pubs and clubs were ordered to shut down to help tackle the outbreak.

What’s different about the data is it looks at community deaths – people who died at home or in residential care whom doctors recorded on the death certificate as probably having Covid-19. There were 103 of these – 1% of all deaths.

The ONS also trawled a few days ahead of 20 March to capture any deaths stuck in a recording backlog. That brings the total to 210 deaths involving coronavirus.

That’s 40 more than the 170 deaths announced by the government at the time – those were all hospital deaths of patients who had tested positive for coronavirus and so definitely had the infection.

In comparison, there are not enough tests to check how many people in the community are infected or how many deaths are linked to Covid-19.

So these community death figures are interesting but they don’t give us a clearer idea of the true toll.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:01 pm

BREAKING

Seven more deaths in Wales
Seven more people have died in Wales after testing positive with coronavirus - taking the total to 69, Public Health Wales has said.

In its latest daily announcement, the NHS body said there had been 112 new confirmed cases, with the total number now at 1,563.