Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Breaking: Newcastle are the first club to put there staff on

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:36 pm

Newcastle are the first club to put there staff on temporary leave well the Newcastle fans never liked you much before Mike Ashley if you can’t support your staff with all the money and empire you have got I hope all their fans turn even more against you .
Your a greedy b*stard anyway , you even we’re trying to keep Sports Direct open with the virus.

I could understand lower leagues clubs doing this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Breaking: Newcastle are the first club to put there staf

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Newcastle United have become the first Premier League club to place their non-playing staff on temporary leave because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Managing director Lee Charnley emailed staff on Monday to say the decision was taken to safeguard the club's future.

Employees including the academy and foundation charity have been instructed to apply for the job retention scheme.

Workers will be paid 100% of their salaries until the end of April when the decision will be reviewed.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced earlier in March that workers can claim 80% of their wages up to £2,500 a month.

In January, talks of a £340m takeover of Newcastle by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund were said to be "advanced".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 pm

No Surprise it would be " His Club " to do this first !!! - As you said Annis - Lower League Clubs would need the help more .

This has now opened the door for more clubs to join in along with his Sports Direct ( which i would understand ) .

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:59 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:No Surprise it would be " His Club " to do this first !!! - As you said Annis - Lower League Clubs would need the help more .

This has now opened the door for more clubs to join in along with his Sports Direct ( which i would understand ) .

Tony, I can see this time next week many more clubs now following as Ashley has opened the door to it first.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:03 pm

If they furlough their jobs are protected and they still get an income.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:No Surprise it would be " His Club " to do this first !!! - As you said Annis - Lower League Clubs would need the help more .

Tony, I can see this time next week many more clubs now following as Ashley has opened the door to it first.

Agree - My point is why can't he speak to his playing staff and get the players to give 10% of their wage to help others ??
Seems to work with the Barcelona squad - who have given up much more than 10% !!!

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:30 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Agree - My point is why can't he speak to his playing staff and get the players to give 10% of their wage to help others ??
Seems to work with the Barcelona squad - who have given up much more than 10% !!!

Very good point :thumbright:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:20 am

Juventus players have given up all their salaries for the next 4 months :clap:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:39 am

I think he is being very fair to be honest.
He has managed to keep paying them so far with little income and now he is offering another full months pay before they join the jobs retention scheme set out by the government.
Not sure what he is doing wrong as it is the correct procedure and in reality in his circumstances we would all do the same.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 am

Don't know if i'm reading this wrong, but the it says on the picture that he will be paying staff their full wages until at least the end of April. By saying at least it seems he will be reviewing the situation then, a lot better than many who have been laid off.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 am

thomasblue wrote:I think he is being very fair to be honest.
He has managed to keep paying them so far with little income and now he is offering another full months pay before they join the jobs retention scheme set out by the government.
Not sure what he is doing wrong as it is the correct procedure and in reality in his circumstances we would all do the same.

Agree

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:25 am

Bluesince72 wrote:Don't know if i'm reading this wrong, but the it says on the picture that he will be paying staff their full wages until at least the end of April. By saying at least it seems he will be reviewing the situation then, a lot better than many who have been laid off.

The staff will receive 100% of their wages but 80% will be funded by the taxpayer via the staff retention scheme that Rishi Sunak introduced a couple of weeks ago. The point being made is Mike Ashley is a very wealthy man (£2/3 billion) and is relaying on public finances.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:23 am

It’s a business it’s sensible move for the long term of the club as harsh as it is. Other businesses are doing it daily but no one is getting upset at them. We laid of 35 people at work last week had no choice to look after the core essentiall staff. They also will be first in line when we recruit again when things pick up.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Bluesince72 wrote:Don't know if i'm reading this wrong, but the it says on the picture that he will be paying staff their full wages until at least the end of April. By saying at least it seems he will be reviewing the situation then, a lot better than many who have been laid off.

The staff will receive 100% of their wages but 80% will be funded by the taxpayer via the staff retention scheme that Rishi Sunak introduced a couple of weeks ago. The point being made is Mike Ashley is a very wealthy man (£2/3 billion) and is relaying on public finances.

I agree with you morally but Ashley didn’t amass that fortune by putting his hand in his pocket without having to

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:06 pm

Surely our club needs to be doing the same.

I dont see any issue with Newcastles stance along with most employers.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:12 am

wez1927 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I think he is being very fair to be honest.

Agree

agree

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

His sports direct business last year as a whole had over 19000 employees.
Should he pay them all full pay?
He wont be rich for very long if he does.
So what that hes asking for public money , it will safeguard all those jobs

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:32 am

Ashley is a social cancer