Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Neil Warnock pays tribute to '

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:11 am

My gratitude to Dan McCauley: Neil Warnock pays tribute to former Plymouth Argyle chairman

McCauley, the Pilgrims' owner from 1991 until 2001, passed away on Saturday at the age of 84

By Chris Errington

31 MAR 2020

SPORT

Neil Warnock pictured front right with Dan McCauley as Argyle's players celebrate their Endsleigh League Division Three Play-Off Final Semi-Final Second Leg win against Colchester United at Home Park on May 15, 1996 (Photo by Professional
Neil Warnock has admitted he owes a lot to former Plymouth Argyle chairman Dan McCauley, who died on Saturday at the age of 84.

It was McCauley who appointed Warnock as the Pilgrims’ boss in the summer of 1995.

Argyle were promoted the following season by beating Darlington 1-0 in the Division Three Play-Off Final at Wembley.

However, their relationship deteriorated after that and Warnock was eventually dismissed by McCauley in February 1997.

Warnock put their differences behind him a long time ago and went on to have a long and very successful career in management.

The 71-year-old remains grateful to McCauley for giving him the opportunity to take charge of Argyle.

It also led to him living in the same family home with his wife, Sharon, in south-east Cornwall ever since.

Warnock told Plymouth Live: “When I first met Dan he had a reputation as a difficult man to deal with for managers, but I thought I could change all that.

NEIL WARNOCK:

“Sharon and I, we had some great times with Dan and his wife, Ann.

“I was convinced that together we could have taken the club a lot higher.

“I never bore him a grudge when I left because I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for him.

“I heard him say in one interview that Wembley was the best football day of his life.

“I will always remember that smile on his face, with that hat on, at Wembley. I can see it as clear as day.

“Sharon and I owe everything to Dan because he gave us the opportunity to move down to the West Country.”

Warnock revealed in his 2007 autobiography where he felt his relationship started to turn sour.

It was after Warnock had a bigger hotel room than McCauley before an away game against Scunthorpe United.

“I was disappointed how we fell out, over something really trivial, because we really enjoyed his company.

“Sharon and I had some great laughs with him. One night I remember we all went to see Barry White in concert.

“It was at Sheffield City Hall. We were all up, singing and dancing in the aisle. We had great times like that.

“That’s why I was so disappointed when it just changed in a split second and his support wavered.

“From that day, he never rang me again. He sent me faxes, so I knew the relationship had gone.”

Warnock added: “That hasn’t soured anything. The only disappointment was, and still is, that I felt we could really have a go at getting to the top level, without spending a fortune.

“Once he didn’t really want to talk to me on the phone, or anything, there was only one it was going to end, but that will never diminish the times we had – we had some good laughs.”

Warnock remains the only manager to have led Argyle to victory at Wembley. “I’m still proud of that,” he said.

“That’s why I went them to go straight up this year. I said to Ryan (Lowe) ‘Make sure you go straight up, I don’t want you winning in play-offs!’

“It’s lovely when people still remember that, and it was a fabulous day. I had never seen anything like it and I don’t think Dan had either really.

“It was one of the best periods of my life and we owe it to him now. We wouldn’t be down in the West Country.

“I would never dream of leaving – it’s just a magical place. I always brought my teams down here (in pre-season).”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.