Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: THE 72 LEAGUE CLUBS HAVE VOTED AND

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 am

The 72 clubs voted on the weekend and this season will be completed on the pitch no matter what before anyone even thinks about future seasons.

The EFL having already revealed that all 72 of their clubs have agreed to complete the season, it appears likely that the Premier League will have no choice but to continue to investigate the best way to play out the 92 remaining fixtures.

Cardiff City, Swansea City, Leeds United and West Brom handed huge boost in promotion pursuit due to Premier League rule

Some have called for the season to be voided, but this crucial ruling means the season will have to be played until it reaches its conclusion

By Glen Williams :thumbright: :thumbright:

Wednesday 1st April 2020

Cardiff City and Swansea City have been handed a boost in their play-off pursuits

Cardiff City and Swansea City have been handed a huge boost in their quest for Championship play-off spots as it has emerged

Premier League clubs will not be given a chance to void the current season.

Top-flight clubs will gather for a video conference on Friday to discuss the next steps amid the coronavirus pandemic, with football in England suspended until at least April 30.

With the pandemic not expected to peak in England until May or June, however, the chances of being able to resume at the end of April appear remote.

As things stand, both South Wales clubs face anxious waits to see how the season is resolved, with the Bluebirds sitting two points outside the play-off spots and the Swans just one point behind them.

Both will harbour real ambitions of breaking into top six when the season resumes, however some mooted plans have proposed to get rid of promotion to the Premier League all together.

The delay in resuming the campaign has led to dissension from some clubs, who feel the cleanest way to resolve the issue is to declare the season null and void - as the FA has done for football below the National League.

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady has already gone public with her desire to cancel the season, while other clubs are also believed to support that idea.

It would see Liverpool robbed of their first league title in 30 years, whilst the likes of Norwich City, Aston Villa and Bournemouth would be handed a reprieve from the relegation battle they currently find themselves in.

Yet it has emerged that Premier League clubs cannot unilaterally scrap the campaign, with any change in promotion and relegation needing to be agreed with the FA League Committee and the EFL.

With the EFL having already revealed that all 72 of their clubs have agreed to complete the season, it appears likely that the Premier League will have no choice but to continue to investigate the best way to play out the 92 remaining fixtures.

Part of the issue comes from promotion to the Premier League - with Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion both clear at the top of the Championship table, the Premier League would need to agree with the EFL that cancelling promotion would be the best course of action.

For those still chasing promotion, Cardiff and Swansea included, it is unlikely they will be dissuaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: THE 72 LEAGUE CLUBS HAVE VOTED AND

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:09 am

I’m probably in the minority but it’s the wrong decision for me.

With thousands dying and the situation as it is and will be for some time I would prefer to see the current season declared void, however, the leagues are under huge financial pressure from Sky etc to complete.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:12 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’m probably in the minority but it’s the wrong decision for me.

With thousands dying and the situation as it is and will be for some time I would prefer to see the current season declared void, however, the leagues are under huge financial pressure from Sky etc to complete.

I can totally understand both sides of the argument tbh mate. It’s a tough one to call that’s for sure.
I suppose the fact that they haven’t set a date is good. It’ll happen when it happens now I suppose, though it will almost certainly be later than April imo. Will it then flow into next season?!?

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:41 am

FB

Paul Snoops:

All the leagues that have been void that feed the vanarama leagues with promotions/ relegations will have to be reinstated too then surely, wouldn’t be fair on a team pushing for promotion from non league to league football

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:48 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’m probably in the minority but it’s the wrong decision for me.

I totally agree with you also.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:48 am

But yet sky say theres no timeline on returning and will only do so if government say it's safe to do so .. but if they have voided lowest leagues and re instated prem and football league that's just wrong on a lot of levels but just shows it's all about the ££££ sadly . For me this pandemic needs to have been halted first then discussed about football and other sports restarting because this is all guess work we could be 3-6-9 months away no one knows

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:59 am

I cannot see football being played in this country until September or October at the earliest. Even if the peak has passed infection rates will still be high and medical staff will be needed to heal the sick not attend football matches.

if the season is to complete (a mistake in my view) then the new season will have a delayed start, possibly January 2021. As to what happens about player contracts (expiring at the end of june) is anyones guess. Football should have accepted that the season is over and taken the finacial hit like thousands of businesses all over the UK.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am

Wrong decision and puts all players, staff, medics and other people at risk of catching the virus. Selfish decision because of the money involved with football, as previously stated the national league and the other that has been declared void will have to be played aswell as it's not fair on them to lose out on money whilst the bigger clubs get theirs

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Well UEFA have cancelled june internationals champions league Europa finals and you now got Wimbledon cancelled june july time aswell dont see football being back anytime soon

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Chippy82 wrote:But yet sky say theres no timeline on returning and will only do so if government say it's safe to do so .. but if they have voided lowest leagues and re instated prem and football league that's just wrong on a lot of levels but just shows it's all about the ££££ sadly . For me this pandemic needs to have been halted first then discussed about football and other sports restarting because this is all guess work we could be 3-6-9 months away no one knows

They have to look ahead (as will other sports/businesses) and the 72 clubs have been asked to indicate their stance, as is only right and proper

Such an overwhelming vote to finish the current season that is well in progress (more than 3/4 through is indicative that the clubs want this season to finish no matter when (and certainly before any new one begins)

For me, it is the correct thing to do and will maintain the integrity of the Premier League and EFL when the gongs and/or wooden spoons are handed out ahead of whatever the next season is

Whilst some (and I understand) will say 'stop it now', I still maintain that once this wretched virus has been controlled, life will slowly but surely return to some sort of normality. At that point our focuses will change and football will suddenly become 'important' to us supporters again and what would we rather see...?

Three teams from the Championship who have earned their right to a place at the money-lade top table; or three teams from the Premier League survive through the backdoor, hence consolidating their position and finances in the process?

Doesn't matter who those teams are going up (one could even be us) or those coming down really (although I'd love one to be Villa) so long as the integrity of the competition is maintained, i.e. those teams that have worked hard to be successful this season should be allowed to succeed or fail on their own merits rather than those of a whim (or the likes of Karren Brady's self-interest)

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 pm

The problem is that the reasons behind clubs wanting to continue the season are purely financial. it has nothing to do with the integrity of the competition.

If the integrity of competition was the main driver then why cancel lower level league football and expunge results? If integrity of the competition is the main driver why does everyone keep talking about the need to give the top teams in the Champonship their chance to feed in the Premier trough? If integrity of the competition is the main driver why are clubs consulting lawyers to see how they can wriggle out of player contracts?

Its NOT about integrity it is about MONEY! Especially TV money!

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm

length of government restrictions will determine if this season is finished .

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Sven wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:But yet sky say theres no timeline on returning and will only do so if government say it's safe to do so .. but if they have voided lowest leagues and re instated prem and football league that's just wrong on a lot of levels but just shows it's all about the ££££ sadly . For me this pandemic needs to have been halted first then discussed about football and other sports restarting because this is all guess work we could be 3-6-9 months away no one knows

They have to look ahead (as will other sports/businesses) and the 72 clubs have been asked to indicate their stance, as is only right and proper

Such an overwhelming vote to finish the current season that is well in progress (more than 3/4 through is indicative that the clubs want this season to finish no matter when (and certainly before any new one begins)

For me, it is the correct thing to do and will maintain the integrity of the Premier League and EFL when the gongs and/or wooden spoons are handed out ahead of whatever the next season is

Whilst some (and I understand) will say 'stop it now', I still maintain that once this wretched virus has been controlled, life will slowly but surely return to some sort of normality. At that point our focuses will change and football will suddenly become 'important' to us supporters again and what would we rather see...?

Three teams from the Championship who have earned their right to a place at the money-lade top table; or three teams from the Premier League survive through the backdoor, hence consolidating their position and finances in the process?

Doesn't matter who those teams are going up (one could even be us) or those coming down really (although I'd love one to be Villa) so long as the integrity of the competition is maintained, i.e. those teams that have worked hard to be successful this season should be allowed to succeed or fail on their own merits rather than those of a whim (or the likes of Karren Brady's self-interest)

You have been chief drum banger on here for it I'd swear you were a liverpool fan

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:36 pm

Sven wrote:

Theres more to life than football and sport in general if this season gets re started it will for one reason the £££££££££££££££££££ it's so obvious its pathetic

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:42 pm

:thumbup:
dogfound wrote:

length of government restrictions will determine if this season is finished .

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Football wake up. Who gives a toss if the season is completed. Thousands are dying ffs. Wake up to the real world.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Thewifestheboss wrote:Football wake up. Who gives a toss if the season is completed. Thousands are dying ffs. Wake up to the real world.

Exatly I'm bored with no sport on but theres more to life and worry about atm

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:01 pm

up to 20,000 may die in the UK from Coronavirus (hopefully it won't be that many) and that is very sad but lets calm things down.

Life goes on and when the time is right Football should rightly continue, first and foremost when the experts say it is safe to do so

Dogfound is right, the government will determined it all really.

On a side note, it may just be me, but there is a lot of sensationalism starting to creep in with this whole pandemic now, some people seem to be thriving on it a bit much for my liking.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:08 pm

RV Casual wrote:up to 20,000 may die in the UK from Coronavirus (hopefully it won't be that many) and that is very sad but lets calm things down.

Life goes on and when the time is right Football should rightly continue, first and foremost when the experts say it is safe to do so

On a side note, it may just be me, but there is a lot of sensationalism starting to creep in with this whole pandemic now, some people seem to be thriving on it a bit much for my liking.

How on earth are people thriving on it ??

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Chippy82 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:up to 20,000 may die in the UK from Coronavirus (hopefully it won't be that many) and that is very sad but lets calm things down.

By being massively overdramatic, sensational and scaremongering with any chance they get.

Evidence, just check social media and any other online outlets.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:

By being massively overdramatic, sensational and scaremongering with any chance they get.

Lol what a load of crap what people are not aloud to be scared or worried what's going on are they people lost jobs and more because of this and there being over dramatic

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:30 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:

what other online outlets you on about no doubt according to you what's being reported and confirmed is still being over dramatic another 500 die in last 24 hours so is that over dramatic aswell scaremongering no sadly its facts?????

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 pm

100% agree.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Chippy82 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:

what other online outlets you on about no doubt according to you what's being reported and confirmed is still being over dramatic another 500 die in last 24 hours so is that over dramatic aswell scaremongering no sadly its facts?????

That's not what I said is it.

The reporting of facts is fine, but the hysterics of some in other non main stream media is absolutely shameful and they are thriving on it for their own agendas, hope that clears up the point I was making

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:42 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

100% agree.

Thank You mate, glad someone could see the point I was making :thumbup:

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:43 pm

RV Casual wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

100% agree.

Thank You mate, glad someone could see the point I was making :thumbup:

I’ve been making the same point on other threads but some won’t listen unfortunately

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:

The reporting of facts is fine, but the hysterics of some in other non main stream media is absolutely shameful and they are thriving on it for their own agendas, hope that clears up the point I was making

Wasnt how it seemed so pardon my response but I'm a sports fan it's boring as sin with none on but that's uk us sport yes I like my baseball ice hockey basketball aswell but this is just crazy times atm and it dont seem like it's going end anytime sadly

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Chippy82 wrote:

mate, there is outrage about all sorts of things without those outraged even giving a seconds thought to what they are outraged about.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 pm

The problem is that, what if we are where we are with the virus and its September time or October will they continue to pursue the rest of the season then?

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Chippy82 wrote:

Totally agree, this virus is bad, and it’s a real worry of how it’s all going to pan out

However, while millions of people are working and volunteering and going the extra mile to keep the country going, many other people are sitting on their arses spouting out all sorts of crap and seem to have their own agendas with scaremongering and over dramatic nonsense