Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ GREEDY FOOTBALL PLAYERS “

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 am

I’ve just watched the news on bbc.1 and can't believe what I am hearing,players arenot prepared to take pay cuts untill theyve spoken to there unions,hang on a min,theres lots off ppl out there who have had to take pay cuts,even loose there jobs,and what about the NHS whos on the front line,on shit pay,and you have the cheek to moan about having to have a pay cut,ya horrible overrated,over paid twats.disgusting thats what i think.

The attitude of Premier Players has ruined our game over paid, don’t care about anyone .

If they want to safe the game, they have help as well.

Re: I’ve just watched the news on BBC.1 and players

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:33 am

Forever Blue wrote:I’ve just watched the news on bbc.1 and can't believe what I am hearing,players arenot prepared to take pay cuts untill theyve spoken to there unions,hang on a min,theres lots off ppl out there who have had to take pay cuts,even loose there jobs,and what about the NHS whos on the front line,on shit pay,and you have the cheek to moan about having to have a pay cut,ya horrible overrated,over paid twats.disgusting thats what i think.

The attitude of Premier Players has ruined our game over paid, don’t care about anyone .

Disgraceful Annis.
I’m wondering if greedy agents without any morals are also behind this. Doesn’t matter though, they have their own brains to think what the right thing to do is.... well let’s hope so.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:41 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I’ve just watched the news on bbc.1 and can't believe what I am hearing,players arenot prepared to take pay cuts untill theyve spoken to there unions,hang on a min,theres lots off ppl out there who have had to take pay cuts,even loose there jobs,and what about the NHS whos on the front line,on shit pay,and you have the cheek to moan about having to have a pay cut,ya horrible overrated,over paid twats.disgusting thats what i think.

Disgraceful Annis.
I’m wondering if greedy agents without any morals are also behind this. Doesn’t matter though, they have their own brains to think what the right thing to do is.... well let’s hope so.

I think your right greedy agents will also be behind this.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:55 am

BBC

Premier League clubs are living in a "moral vacuum" and players should be first to sacrifice salaries during the coronavirus pandemic, say politicians.

Julian Knight, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, has condemned the actions of some Premier League clubs, who have furloughed non-playing staff.

Tottenham , Newcastle , Bournemouth and Norwich have opted to utilise the government's job retention scheme.

"It sticks in the throat," said Knight.

"This exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre."

Spurs chairman Levy issues warning as non-playing staff take pay cut
Newcastle put non-playing staff on leave
Norwich begin to furlough staff

Re: “ GREEDY FOOTBALL PLAYERS “

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:12 am

In moments of self reflection it’s difficult to justify investing so much, not only financially but also emotionally, in guys who kiss the badge but in truth care only about money.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 am

Appalling :cry:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 am

Very dangerous, they will face a backlash from fans if they are not careful, they are already extremely privileged and a pay rise fro anyone in league 1 is the right thing to do to show we are all in this together!

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:42 am

There is the odd exception like Aaron Ramsey who donate 10's of thousands of £'s to the NHS but most football players are greedy selfish overrated twats.

And I fully agree with the comments above about agents they are a cancer within football and long overdue action is needed to haul their influence in.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:43 am

Bluebina wrote:

Very dangerous, they will face a backlash from fans if they are not careful, they are already extremely privileged and a pay rise fro anyone in league 1 is the right thing to do to show we are all in this together!

Spot on :thumbup:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:48 am

Bluebina wrote:

Editied Pay cut not rise ;)

Very dangerous, they will face a backlash from fans if they are not careful, they are already extremely privileged and a pay cut for anyone in league one is the right thing to do to show we are all in this together!

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 am

Perfect time to bring in a wage cap

Lower all players wages means lower ticket prices and bigger attendances.

They should be donating a percentage to ground staff anyway without them they wouldnt be getting paid a penny

Even if they bought in a 5k a week wage cap they would still take it as they wont get that money anywhere else

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 am

Can’t believe that the players haven’t volunteered to take a pay cut already (not everyone but say everybody earning £5k a week or more)

I started to get bored with the Premier league about 4 years ago, the obscene wages were one of the reasons and even though I have sky sports only watch 8-10 games a season these days

Agents are mostly greed parasites.. the Sala tragedy highlighted that and as for PFA ceo Gordon Taylor?? How the hell is he still in a job of any kind never mind such as high profile and well paid job?? It just defies belief. Listen to him being interviewed he is a complete out of touch moron. He’s an embarrassment to his profession.

The players and owners need to do the right thing and fast!!

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:48 am

At the end of this a United response if players at the top level don't take pay cuts.
Everybody cancel their Sky Sports subscriptions and the clubs will not be able to pay their wages.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am

Not all footballers are greedy!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213924

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:02 pm

Bluebina wrote:

They won’t face a backlash though, Liverpool spurs Utd etc, no one cares, when they stroll into the pitch they will get the usual happy clap. Footballers do not care for anything aside from their pockets. The vast majority are mercenaries and sadly they don’t give a shit.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Igovernor wrote:Not all footballers are greedy!

Well done to him for giving away a days pay I wish a few more players could do this

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 pm

They have signed a contract that guarantees their salaries and of course they can't be forced to give up a percentage, however morally they have an obligation as many are voluntarily giving up a percentage. Those who don't are complete arrogant and conceited tosses that deserve nothing out of the game.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Lineker donates two months' salary to charity

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker says he will donate two months' salary to the British Red Cross to help in their work in the fight against the coronavirus.

The former England international, who currently works for both the BBC and BT Sport, recently served a period of isolation after his son George showed symptoms of the virus.

"The British Red Cross are on the front line trying to help in all sorts of different ways with the coronavirus," Lineker told World At One.

"Hopefully lots of other people that are in a position of relative wealth can do something similar and I am sure many will."

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 pm

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... s-18024852

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:43 pm

I’ve always watched football and supported the team - they provide great entertainment and in the past I’ve looked at them as hero’s. Over the last months my opinion has altered to the fact there are some hero’s in the world...real hero’s - NHS staff and health care workers, other key workers that are at risk out there too. People who volunteer to provide for the vulnerable at a time like this. These people are true hero’s. Scoring a goal Is not. Don’t get me wrong they have great talent and do provide fans with a lot of joy but we also pay for this entertainment.

Ok so the players are currently not obliged to take a cut however.....
The players should not have to be told at all.....I would say they should be given time to think what they will do in terms of a pay cut but this is about doing the right thing. I personally would be very surprised if every club in the premier league and championship players don’t take a significant cut (50%) very soon. It’s not forever but it will help get us over this very tricky difficult time. As a club and for the staff that are lower paid. There are so many people out there at the moment who have no money due to job loss and are even wondering where the next meal is coming from. Will they have a roof over their head soon, will they be homeless.......and to try and claim universal credit is so difficult (I’ve known people who have tried for over 2 weeks and can’t get through - money is running out)because of the number of claims going in the poor staff there are stretched to the limit. So to be honest if our players and others don’t follow in taking a pay cut of atleast 20% or more or be seen to be helping donate to a cause that is in need at the moment I will Be quite livid. Infact they will loose all respect from me and in all honesty I would consider not coming back again. I have been one of many fans paying for tickets etc...well let’s see what happens and if they do take a cut soon fair enough but if not that’ll be it for me.
Ps. Thanks to all the footballers who have donated or taken pay cuts you are doing the right thing.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:51 pm

Tax 'obscene' furloughing by football clubs - MPs

Premier League football clubs which do not cut the salaries of highly-paid players while furloughing non-playing staff must be told by the government to pay a windfall tax, says the Department of Culture, Media and Sport parliamentary committee.

DCMS committee chair Julian Knight has written to Chancellor Rishi Sunak urging for sanctions to be brought in to stop clubs pursuing what he describes as "a two-tier system".

"We are facing an obscene situation where top players who aren’t working are continuing to see hundreds of thousands of pounds roll in each week while the staff who keep the clubs going are losing wages," says Mr Knight.

Clubs have come under fire for not deferring the wages of their players, with players' union the Professional Footballers' Association facing criticism for its slow response.

Former England international Gary Lineker says he is "positive" the players will "want to do something to help".

Lineker - now a television presenter - thinks they will "respond in the right way" after agreeing on a course of action, although he thought the PFA rarely gave "great guidance or leadership".

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:I’ve always watched football and supported the team - they provide great entertainment and in the past I’ve looked at them as hero’s. Over the last months my opinion has altered to the fact there are some hero’s in the world...real hero’s - NHS staff and health care workers, other key workers that are at risk out there too. People who volunteer to provide for the vulnerable at a time like this. These people are true hero’s. Scoring a goal Is not. Don’t get me wrong they have great talent and do provide fans with a lot of joy but we also pay for this entertainment.

Ok so the players are currently not obliged to take a cut however.....
The players should not have to be told at all.....I would say they should be given time to think what they will do in terms of a pay cut but this is about doing the right thing. I personally would be very surprised if every club in the premier league and championship players don’t take a significant cut (50%) very soon. It’s not forever but it will help get us over this very tricky difficult time. As a club and for the staff that are lower paid. There are so many people out there at the moment who have no money due to job loss and are even wondering where the next meal is coming from. Will they have a roof over their head soon, will they be homeless.......and to try and claim universal credit is so difficult (I’ve known people who have tried for over 2 weeks and can’t get through - money is running out)because of the number of claims going in the poor staff there are stretched to the limit. So to be honest if our players and others don’t follow in taking a pay cut of atleast 20% or more or be seen to be helping donate to a cause that is in need at the moment I will Be quite livid. Infact they will loose all respect from me and in all honesty I would consider not coming back again. I have been one of many fans paying for tickets etc...well let’s see what happens and if they do take a cut soon fair enough but if not that’ll be it for me.
Ps. Thanks to all the footballers who have donated or taken pay cuts you are doing the right thing.

Excellent post, this could be a dangerous time for football and the premier league in particular

I for one have not missed it at all, and I’ve been a season ticket holder and sky sports subscriber for 25 years!!

Players and PFA need to get their act together very quickly and make a SIGNIFICANT gesture like a a big pay cut not a deferral from its big earners before it’s too late

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Makes you wonder why we shell out our hard earned cash from our average incomes to watch highly paid prima donna's doesn't it? Watch out for the backlash.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Bebbsyboy wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Not all footballers are greedy!

Well done to him for giving away a days pay I wish a few more players could do this

Don't you 4 months pay?

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Hancock: Premier League players should take pay cut

There's a question about whether Premier League football clubs should be using a taxpayer-funded scheme to pay staff on temporary leave.

There's been criticism of clubs that have used the scheme whilst keeping players on full wages.

In reply Health Secretary Matt Hancock says "everyone needs to play their part" in helping the UK respond to the crisis.

He says the "first thing" Premier League footballers could do to help would be to take a pay cut.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:56 pm

I can't believe the Spurs club captain will allow all 550 non playing staff to take pay cuts while his team mates take on average 70k a week!

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 pm

bluecityblue wrote:I can't believe the Spurs club captain will allow all 550 non playing staff to take pay cuts while his team mates take on average 70k a week!

I sort of agree , but

FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY NON PLAYING STAFF...?

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:12 pm

It’s shocking but did anyone honesty expect the greediest of the greedy to give up anything?
The staff on min wage etc at all clubs are the ones being hit hardest...
Daniel Levy at Spurs got £7m last year in wages and bonuses ....and he wants financial help off the government to pay his staff???!!!
Look at what FC Sion did when 9 players refused to take a pay cut , they sacked them ... wouldn’t take a pay cut even when the club was potentially going bust

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:31 pm

According to the Global Sports Salary Survey, the average salary in the PL for a first team squad player is just over £3 million a year. That’s about £60,000 a week, which is far more than most people earn in a year. In his book, Robert Peston, now an ITV journalist, reckons anybody on £70,000-75,000 a year can live very comfortably , so all PL players should take at least a 50% pay cut and ensure those non playing staff are paid in full. Also, if these clubs can pay millions in transfer fees, they should be able to pay their staff their full wages. I don’t begrudge any footballer their massive salaries, because if I'd have been good enough, I wouldn’t have turned down the money, and I doubt if anyone else on this site, would have either.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:44 pm

'Players will have to share burden'

The Professional Footballers' Association has said it "fully accepts that players will have to be flexible and share the financial burden" of the coronavirus pandemic.

The trade union for professional association footballers in England and Wales says its members must act "in order to secure the long-term future of their own club and indeed the wider game".

The statement came after UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the "first thing" Premier League footballers could do to help is "take a pay cut".

Speaking at the government's daily briefing, Mr Hancock added: "Everybody needs to play their part in this national effort and that means Premier League footballers."

On Wednesday, Premier League clubs were accused by Julian Knight, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, of living in a "moral vacuum" after some clubs furloughed non-playing staff while preserving the wages of highly-paid players.