Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City implement 20 per cent pay cuts rest furlouhed

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 am

Bluebirds manager Neil Harris and chief executive Ken Choo lead the way by volunteering for cuts as club see income dry up during lockdown

However, the majority of the non-playing staff will be placed on furlough for the time being( Govt payments).

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris has accepted a pay cut

Cardiff City are the first Championship club to implement the 20% cut.

Thursday 2nd April 2020

Cardiff City are to implement pay cuts and put non-playing staff on the Government's furlough scheme as they face the stark reality of the coronavirus crisis.

Bluebirds manager Neil Harris and chief executive Ken Choo have taken the lead by volunteering to reduce their salaries by 20 per cent as the lockdown continues.

The Bluebirds take an estimated £400,000 from match-day revenue, but haven't had a home game since the 2-2 draw with Brentford at the end of February.

With no sign of when they will play their remaining Championship fixtures at Cardiff City Stadium, the Bluebirds hierarchy say they have been forced into action for non-playing staff.

Bluebirds chairman Mehmet Dalman and chief executive Ken Choo discussed the issue this week and came up with a plan of action.

Choo and Harris each accepted the 20 per cent pay cut, which will also be the case for other Bluebirds high earners who remain working to keep the club ticking over. Those who fall into this category but who are on lower incomes won't see their salary affected.

However, the majority of the non-playing staff will be placed on furlough for the time being.

The Bluebirds are also thought to be waiting for a directive on what happens with the salaries of the players. The PFA, the players' union, have reportedly told their members nationwide not to accept any wage cuts.

That, it seems, might prove to be an unsustainable situation. in the current crisis. Players in other high profile sports are accepting the need to take cuts to keep clubs and governing bodies sustainable and it seems likely football will eventually follow suit.

Confirming the changes for non-playing staff at Cardiff, club chairman Dalman said: "The first thing to say is that we are in the same position as everybody else.

"But unless we take some action today our position will not be financially viable. We would hit a wall soon.

"Ken and I discussed the best way forward. The staff we can put on furlough we will.

"For those who don't fit into furlough, we are implementing the 20 per cent cuts for the higher earners and those on lower salary won't be affected.

Cardiff's other Board members don'take a wage from the club anyway.

Re: Cardiff City implement 20 per cent pay cuts rest furlouh

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Once again the players are not yet or are going to be the last affected

PFA need to get their act together and order a big pay cut for the big earners but don’t hold your breath with that bellend Gordon Taylor in charge

What’s the bet they will offer a wage referral I.e get it all back in the future rather than a pay cut

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:37 pm

It shouldn’t come down to the PFA, the players should not have to be told. They earn thousands and can afford a pay cut. It’s a disgrace.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:41 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Once again the players are not yet or are going to be the last affected

PFA need to get their act together and order a big pay cut for the big earners but don’t hold your breath with that bellend Gordon Taylor in charge

What’s the bet they will offer a wage referral I.e get it all back in the future rather than a pay cut

Well said. Yes I can see the selfish sods making a 'kind gesture' to defer their wages :roll:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:48 pm

Can’t say I’m overly happy with this at all

The players should collectively be taking cuts to pay the wages of the people who make their jobs much easier day to day without them the club doesn’t function

I hope they come out and do the right thing, the higher earners anyway

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 pm

smakerzthebluebird wrote:Can’t say I’m overly happy with this at all

The players should collectively be taking cuts to pay the wages of the people who make their jobs much easier day to day without them the club doesn’t function

I hope they come out and do the right thing, the higher earners anyway

Totally agree.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Swansea City have asked most of their non-playing staff to be placed on furlough due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Steve Cooper's men have not taken to the field since they drew 0-0 with promotion hopefuls West Brom at the Liberty Stadium on March 7.

They are not due to return to action until the weekend of April 30 at the earliest, although that date is expected to be pushed back as a result of the pandemic.

Players, coaches and staff have been working home for several weeks in line with government advice in a bid to reduce the spread of the virus.

And it's understood that the vast majority of the club's non-playing staff have received a letter from chairman Trevor Birch regarding the Covid-19 crisis.

Swansea will utilise the scheme to protect jobs in a move that allows up to 80% of wages to be paid by the government, with the club vowing to pay the remaining 20% for the "immediate future".

Some sections of the club's staff - such as those in senior management - will continue to work as normal.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:54 pm

All well paid players should be following Barcelona lead with 70 percent reductions for a few months

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Mr Potato wrote:It shouldn’t come down to the PFA, the players should not have to be told. They earn thousands and can afford a pay cut. It’s a disgrace.

surely its better if every player at every club is subject to the same amounts / percentages than it just being random individuals conjuring up varying amounts ?
I haven't read anywhere that players are not prepared to lose some of their wages...just people assuming that's the case...

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 am

Players shouldn’t be watching normal people at their clubs take 20% hit on pay. Spurs, Newcastle Cardiff or jacks etc shouldn’t be asking for help pay wages when their players are lapping up many thousands.

So surely it’s better if players just say I will take a 20% cut. Don’t sugar coat it. It’s wrong and you know it.