44%
Maybe
4%

Total votes : 25

Re: Poll: Primary schools back june 1st

Mon May 11, 2020 8:33 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:The answer Chris Whitty just gave the country was disgusting.

He just said that reception and year one will go back before the rest to test whether or not the virus spreads again. In other words they are cannon fodder.
It is a test to see if they can reopen schools fully, what if the virus spreads and the kids get sick ?
If they are not sure then they should not be opening them at all
Mine will not be going until at least july now after that answer. I was on the fence but that did not give me any confidence at all

Welsh schools no chance going back in july as WG have said wont opening june and considering that it will take 3wks to set up school it will leave couple weeks before summer hols that if teachers can be bothered to go back to set schools up because they are resistant to going in early to do so... like said they are trying everything they can to stall going back :o

WAG could give us the all clear early June and with that 3 weeks notice we could go back late June. Is possible All

I didn’t think it would be June 1st, more like mid to late June just for a few weeks.

Mon May 11, 2020 9:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

He just said that reception and year one will go back before the rest to test whether or not the virus spreads again. In other words they are cannon fodder.
It is a test to see if they can reopen schools fully, what if the virus spreads and the kids get sick ?
Mine will not be going until at least july now after that answer. I was on the fence but that did not give me any confidence at all

Welsh schools no chance going back in july as WG have said wont opening june and considering that it will take 3wks to set up school it will leave couple weeks before summer hols that if teachers can be bothered to go back to set schools up because they are resistant to going in early to do so... like said they are trying everything they can to stall going back :o

They can stuff their fines where the sun don’t shine from now on then....it obviously isn’t that important is it. :banghead: :banghead:

Mon May 11, 2020 9:58 pm

goats wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

They can stuff their fines where the sun don’t shine from now on then....it obviously isn’t that important is it. :banghead: :banghead:

There will be no fines for parents not sending kids to school for time being.... union tonight said 7weeks is unreasonable timescale to open schools...not once have they put forward any ideas of how to get schools up and running only reasons not to open? ;)

Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:I'm not sure I'm happy for my children to go back to school in 3 weeks time.

There will be a lot of arguments in families over that decision

My first thought is Will they be kept separate from children of NHS workers who are in contact with the Virus in hospitals as they could be unknown carriers? As harsh as that sounds it's a valid point as those children are at a higher risk.

Will we get fined if we choose to keep them home longer to ensure it is safe ?

How do you get all those kids to social distance?

Thomas I though from our previous interaction on here you have stated that you were in the same age group or a little older than me, so if that is correct then you must be doing very well with a young wife to have children that young :laughing6:

Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 am

He didn’t say that though Thomas,
Speaking at the government's press conference on Monday evening, the chief medical officer for England, Prof Chris Whitty, said the risks of coronavirus were "very, vey low in children in contrast to other infectious diseases".
Stop scaremongering like so many others. Whitty is one of the top people in the world on this stuff, if it wasn’t for him leading us (like he did working with SARS before this) I’d be concerned but he knows he’s shit so to speak. Denmark have been doing small classes and it’s fine.

Tue May 12, 2020 5:53 am

Igovernor wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I'm not sure I'm happy for my children to go back to school in 3 weeks time.

There will be a lot of arguments in families over that decision

My first thought is Will they be kept separate from children of NHS workers who are in contact with the Virus in hospitals as they could be unknown carriers? As harsh as that sounds it's a valid point as those children are at a higher risk.

Will we get fined if we choose to keep them home longer to ensure it is safe ?

How do you get all those kids to social distance?

Thomas I though from our previous interaction on here you have stated that you were in the same age group or a little older than me, so if that is correct then you must be doing very well with a young wife to have children that young :laughing6:

I'm not sure I have ever told anybody my age on here. There are a few usernames that are similar to mine so could be someone else ?

Tue May 12, 2020 5:58 am

goats wrote:

Speaking at the government's press conference on Monday evening, the chief medical officer for England, Prof Chris Whitty, said the risks of coronavirus were "very, vey low in children in contrast to other infectious diseases".
Stop scaremongering like so many others. Whitty is one of the top people in the world on this stuff, if it wasn’t for him leading us (like he did working with SARS before this) I’d be concerned but he knows he’s shit so to speak. Denmark have been doing small classes and it’s fine.

I'm not scaremongering I've been backing the government nearly all the way through this and looked at every decision with an open mind.

Yes he said the risks are very low in children. Followed by him saying they need to send pupils back in stages to check the transmition rate does not increase around the schools. If they were sure it wouldnt be a issue he wouldnt have made that statement and I'm not happy with my kid being a Guinea pig for them to trial.

Question for you, Why are they sending the oldest class in a primary school with the youngest but no body in between for a few weeks?

And I agree the guy seems brilliant and knows his stuff but that does not mean he is right on this issue.

Tue May 12, 2020 6:05 am

thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:

I'm not scaremongering I've been backing the government nearly all the way through this and looked at every decision with an open mind.

Yes he said the risks are very low in children. Followed by him saying they need to send pupils back in stages to check the transmition rate does not increase around the schools. If they were sure it wouldnt be a issue he wouldnt have made that statement and I'm not happy with my kid being a Guinea pig for them to trial.

Question for you, Why are they sending the oldest class in a primary school with the youngest but no body in between for a few weeks?

And I agree the guy seems brilliant and knows his stuff but that does not mean he is right on this issue.

They are only sending the oldest, year 6, because they are about to make the huge leap to high school, many will have severe anxieties about this after being off for months. Year one is a crucial time for their development, they forget things very quickly if not re emphasised regularly. I know, I used to teach at these levels.
Remember kids this age aren’t getting the virus, some believe now it’s not even possible for them to spread it. In the life of a virus September 1st isn’t far away, what you going to do then?

Tue May 12, 2020 6:16 am

thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:

Also,
No evidence formally presented yet, it would be very early for that. But there has been a study sponsored by the Royal College of Paediatricians (although at the moment published via a blog) which cannot identify a single case of a child under 10 passing the virus on.

It seems to be a large study of thousands of cases across China and Europe. One example used in the media is the child of the first UK case, who had been in close contact with almost 200 people. Many had caught a common cold from him but none caught Covid, despite Covid being more contagious .

It is obviously too early to be sure, and more research is needed, but Switzerland are acting on it and allowing children close contact with grandparents.

If young kids could go to school and see family members at some point before too long, without increasing the risk of transfer, it would be massive for people and an economic boost.

Tue May 12, 2020 6:18 am

goats wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:

They are only sending the oldest, year 6, because they are about to make the huge leap to high school, many will have severe anxieties about this after being off for months. Year one is a crucial time for their development, they forget things very quickly if not re emphasised regularly. I know, I used to teach at these levels.
Remember kids this age aren’t getting the virus, some believe now it’s not even possible for them to spread it. In the life of a virus September 1st isn’t far away, what you going to do then?

You are right not many are getting it but some ARE getting it. Others are presenting with a different inflammatory disease which is being accredited to Covid.

It's a gamble to send your child to a school on June 1st . I will be waiting 2 weeks to see if the spread increases or not .

Even the school unions and a lot of teachers are saying it's too early and they need more time

Tue May 12, 2020 6:23 am

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... oronavirus

Tue May 12, 2020 7:21 am

thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:

You are right not many are getting it but some ARE getting it. Others are presenting with a different inflammatory disease which is being accredited to Covid.

It's a gamble to send your child to a school on June 1st . I will be waiting 2 weeks to see if the spread increases or not .

Even the school unions and a lot of teachers are saying it's too early and they need more time

I think June 1st is to early, mid to late would be good, a month of school before another very long break.
Difficult to see what they need more time for? Forgotten how to teach? How long does it take to move a few tables and chairs out of a classroom? Believe me I know

Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am

thomasblue wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/nhs-warns-of-rise-in-children-with-new-illness-that-may-be-linked-to-coronavirus

You know they all had underlying conditions or specific issues yeah?

Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am

goats wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:

I think June 1st is to early, mid to late would be good, a month of school before another very long break.
Difficult to see what they need more time for? Forgotten how to teach? How long does it take to move a few tables and chairs out of a classroom? Believe me I know

To be honest mate it's just a worry. They should have come out and said " after looking at the data and science we are confident children are safe to resume school but we will stagger the ages to allow schools to design social distancing measures at the beginning"
I and a lot of other peoples worries would have been eased. The wording of the statement made it sound like it's a test and now we are left wondering if they should go back first day or not.

Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 am

goats wrote:
thomasblue wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/nhs-warns-of-rise-in-children-with-new-illness-that-may-be-linked-to-coronavirus

Not all of them. Multiple cases in New York especially where a lot of them had no known issues.
Plus they dont tell us what these issues are to ease peoples worries about the situation

Re: Primary schools back june 1st

Tue May 12, 2020 7:41 am

goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Question: How many school age children with no underlying conditions have died ?

I see your point but they could be carriers, in which case all school staff could be at risk.

Latest theory by scientists in Switzerland is that kids might not even be able to carry the virus now let alone get it, let’s hope that is the case. As there are so few patients with covid in hospitals now surely the risk must be minimal of passing it through to key workers and into schools. When they shut the r rate was 3, now it’s 0.4 if you take out care homes. Moreover, the6 have another 6 weeks off coming up mid July, surely it would make sense to just do staggered classes for a few weeks to give the kids a semblance of normality and some very stressed parents a chance to go to work, to pay the bills.....

That seems reasonable. :thumbup:

Tue May 12, 2020 7:53 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Question: How many school age children with no underlying conditions have died ?

I see your point but they could be carriers, in which case all school staff could be at risk.

Latest theory by scientists in Switzerland is that kids might not even be able to carry the virus now let alone get it, let’s hope that is the case. As there are so few patients with covid in hospitals now surely the risk must be minimal of passing it through to key workers and into schools. When they shut the r rate was 3, now it’s 0.4 if you take out care homes. Moreover, the6 have another 6 weeks off coming up mid July, surely it would make sense to just do staggered classes for a few weeks to give the kids a semblance of normality and some very stressed parents a chance to go to work, to pay the bills.....

As I stated before. My school has been prepared for weeks. Lots of different plans and practices ready to begin, modelled on advice from around the world. Depending on what is legally allowed (obviously). When and who depending on what the government says is ok.

Why do schools in Wales need three weeks from an announcement to prepare? All I've seen on the news is Headteachers moaning, they need some proper leadership coaching. Solutions not problems.

Prior preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance... Oh the Welsh education system! Haven't they seen this coming? What is Kirsty Williams doing?! I think she just wants another excuse for the underperforming of Welsh children, she can't possibly have their best interests at heart.

Tue May 12, 2020 7:56 am

thomasblue wrote:
goats wrote:

Not all of them. Multiple cases in New York especially where a lot of them had no known issues.
Plus they dont tell us what these issues are to ease peoples worries about the situation

I’m sure it was New York where, out of 8, six were Afro Caribbean kids and two were clinically obese. I’m not saying that’s ok in any way but they were specific. Very strange how this affects BAME genetic more.....hopefully we will find out more soon about this.

Tue May 12, 2020 8:31 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

As I stated before. My school has been prepared for weeks. Lots of different plans and practices ready to begin, modelled on advice from around the world. Depending on what is legally allowed (obviously). When and who depending on what the government says is ok.

Why do schools in Wales need three weeks from an announcement to prepare? All I've seen on the news is Headteachers moaning, they need some proper leadership coaching. Solutions not problems.

Prior preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance... Oh the Welsh education system! Haven't they seen this coming? What is Kirsty Williams doing?! I think she just wants another excuse for the underperforming of Welsh children, she can't possibly have their best interests at heart.

Danish teacher just in bbc news, check it out, saying it’s working out very well. Shame we in wales are so far behind them. They’ve brought in sinks to wash hands outside and do it as part of a keep fit routine too. Small groups, assigned play areas and staggered lunches.....

Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am

goats wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Danish teacher just in bbc news, check it out, saying it’s working out very well. Shame we in wales are so far behind them. They’ve brought in sinks to wash hands outside and do it as part of a keep fit routine too. Small groups, assigned play areas and staggered lunches.....

The Danish model is one we've been looking at. It certainly looks to have been phased correctly over there. I'll check that out cheers mate.

And yes, it's a shame so many in Wales just look for problems and moan. So backward.

Tue May 12, 2020 9:14 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
goats wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
goats wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

The Danish model is one we've been looking at. It certainly looks to have been phased correctly over there. I'll check that out cheers mate.

And yes, it's a shame so many in Wales just look for problems and moan. So backward.

After this I’m seriously considering moving abroad :banghead:

Tue May 12, 2020 10:07 am

I've been tempted in the past. More the weather than anything. Some lovely schools abroad to go and work in.

Where are you tempted to go? We could do with a whole thread to lighten the mood. Where would you live and why? Haha

Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 am

jimmy_rat wrote:I've been tempted in the past. More the weather than anything. Some lovely schools abroad to go and work in.

Where are you tempted to go? We could do with a whole thread to lighten the mood. Where would you live and why? Haha

Denmark? Norway?

Tue May 12, 2020 12:52 pm

thomasblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:What's happening with schools in Wales?

Bethan Lewis

BBC Wales Family & Education Correspondent

On Thursday, Education Minister Kirsty Williams said schools wouldn’t reopen on 1 June
However the Welsh Government hasn't ruled out anything after the 'beginning of June', including later that month
The Welsh Government has promised at least three weeks' notice before a ‘phased’ return
A document on schools is due this week but there's no mention so far of it including any sort of timescale for reopening

It's looking like English schools only on June 1st which Boris did not mention in the broadcast.
Will Wales really defy Westminster ? Even with the 3 weeks they can still go back first week in June in Wales. Its likely that will happen as well

It's not a case of defying Westminster. Health and education, among other things, are devolved issues so we are perfectly entitled to make our own decisions. :thumbright:

They are doing it to justify there existance. Nothing to do with it being the correct call (which it may well be) it's all to do with forcing a wedge between the union which is why they did it Friday and Scotland are doing the same. It's pathetic and dangerous. If it was to do with making a decision they would have done it today after the announcement not friday.
They should all be working together as a country not sepersting us making it all harder for everybody

Welsh Labour and the DUP are Unionist parties so definitely not trying to force a wedge between the Union.
Johnson is a buffoon. Shallow and out of his depth. A coward who didn't have the balls to face Andrew Neil before the December election and now he's stopped his Ministers from facing Piers Morgan. If they can't answer tough questions from interviewers they shouldn't be in the job.
Personally I feel happy the the rest of the UK is taking a more cautious and sensible approach.

Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm

moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

On Thursday, Education Minister Kirsty Williams said schools wouldn’t reopen on 1 June
However the Welsh Government hasn't ruled out anything after the 'beginning of June', including later that month
The Welsh Government has promised at least three weeks' notice before a ‘phased’ return
A document on schools is due this week but there's no mention so far of it including any sort of timescale for reopening

It's looking like English schools only on June 1st which Boris did not mention in the broadcast.
Will Wales really defy Westminster ? Even with the 3 weeks they can still go back first week in June in Wales. Its likely that will happen as well

It's not a case of defying Westminster. Health and education, among other things, are devolved issues so we are perfectly entitled to make our own decisions. :thumbright:

They are doing it to justify there existance. Nothing to do with it being the correct call (which it may well be) it's all to do with forcing a wedge between the union which is why they did it Friday and Scotland are doing the same. It's pathetic and dangerous. If it was to do with making a decision they would have done it today after the announcement not friday.
They should all be working together as a country not sepersting us making it all harder for everybody

Welsh Labour and the DUP are Unionist parties so definitely not trying to force a wedge between the Union.
Johnson is a buffoon. Shallow and out of his depth. A coward who didn't have the balls to face Andrew Neil before the December election and now he's stopped his Ministers from facing Piers Morgan. If they can't answer tough questions from interviewers they shouldn't be in the job.
Personally I feel happy the the rest of the UK is taking a more cautious and sensible approach.

Are you sure that Welsh Labour is a Unionist party mate?
Personally, I think Boris is right re Piers Morgan as he just shouted over the people he was interviewing and constantly interrupted them or twisted what they were actually saying. Very rude and poor interviewing techniques.

Wed May 13, 2020 3:54 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

Personally, I think Boris is right re Piers Morgan as he just shouted over the people he was interviewing and constantly interrupted them or twisted what they were actually saying. Very rude and poor interviewing techniques.

Welsh Labour under Drakeford are about as Unionist as the SNP. Drakeford is a lifelong Republican and I can remember him saying on a TV interview that he he felt he could have "A Working Relationship with the Royal Family", not the Queen but the Royal Family and there in lies his true colours.

Ever since Drakeford helped Rhodri Morgan with his "Clear Red Water" vision for Wales he has been waiting for an opportunity to control ALL aspects of Welsh Society but, in my opinion, he has failed to understand that citizens rights are embedded in the UK Constitution and that he cannot introduce Law which takes away basic citizens right to Liberty, Privacy, Freedom of Conscience and Expression and to freedom of Association and Assembly.

Since Boris Johnson imposed the lockdown on the British Public he knows full well that we have consented to the temporary removal of our rights because of this unprecedented crisis, he even thanked us ALL during his TV speech Sunday evening. There has been no such acceptance from Drakeford and his cronies and if his "Vision" gets tested in the Supreme Court in London I believe he will get his arse kicked.

In my opinion this crisis has highlighted everything that is wrong with devolution and Drakeford is becoming the Poster Boy for the advert to reverse the devolution vote.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed May 13, 2020 5:36 pm

castleblue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Bethan Lewis

Welsh Labour under Drakeford are about as Unionist as the SNP. Drakeford is a lifelong Republican and I can remember him saying on a TV interview that he he felt he could have "A Working Relationship with the Royal Family", not the Queen but the Royal Family and there in lies his true colours.

Ever since Drakeford helped Rhodri Morgan with his "Clear Red Water" vision for Wales he has been waiting for an opportunity to control ALL aspects of Welsh Society but, in my opinion, he has failed to understand that citizens rights are embedded in the UK Constitution and that he cannot introduce Law which takes away basic citizens right to Liberty, Privacy, Freedom of Conscience and Expression and to freedom of Association and Assembly.

Since Boris Johnson imposed the lockdown on the British Public he knows full well that we have consented to the temporary removal of our rights because of this unprecedented crisis, he even thanked us ALL during his TV speech Sunday evening. There has been no such acceptance from Drakeford and his cronies and if his "Vision" gets tested in the Supreme Court in London I believe he will get his arse kicked.

In my opinion this crisis has highlighted everything that is wrong with devolution and Drakeford is becoming the Poster Boy for the advert to reverse the devolution vote.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

That's what I thought mate :bluescarf:

Fri May 15, 2020 8:41 am

Children can still carry the virus and bring them back to where they live and there friends. So I say no schools for a while I know that other countries have gone for a different approach but we are 1 nation who left the EU so we should go our own way.

Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Some children could be back in school 'before summer'

The first minister said the Welsh Government's plan is to get some children back into school before the summer break.

The UK government intends for schools in England to reopen to more pupils before the summer holiday, but there is no timetable in the Welsh Government's roadmap.

Mark Drakeford said: "Our primary objective is to guarantee the safety of pupils, and of staff, and that is why we are doing things the way we are doing them here in Wales."

"We would like to be able to bring some further children back into school before the summer holidays, and my colleague Kirsty Williams will provide more detail about how we plan to go about that this afternoon.

"We will use this time to plan, to talk, and to confirm with our trade unions, with our local education authorities and our parents, that if the moment does come when we can bring more children back through the school gates, it will be because it is safe to do so. "

Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Liverpool schools will not reopen in June, says Mayor

Schools in Liverpool will not reopen to all pupils after the city's mayor, Joe Anderson, raised safety fears.

Only the children of key workers and vulnerable children will be allowed in school from June 1, the city council confirmed earlier today.

Earlier this week, Mayor Joe Anderson said he was "minded to resist" Prime Minister Boris Johnson's suggested June 1 partial reopening date.

The local authority said schools reopening will be staggered, with all pupils only allowed in when headteachers, governing bodies, council officials and unions are satisfied it is safe to do so.
Post a reply