Hull City first club to reveal

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Hull City revealed as first club to oppose Championship restart in open letter to Cardiff City, Swansea City, Leeds United and West Brom

The Tigers are hovering dangerously above the bottom three but it is understood both South Wales clubs are in favour of the season resuming

By Glen Williams

Tuesday 19th May 2020

Ehab Allam, centre, the vice-chairman of Hull City, has written to all Championship clubs to say he thinks the season should be voided
Hull City have been revealed as the first club to oppose to restarting the Championship season.

Ehab Allam, the club’s vice-chairman, has written to EFL chairman Rick Parry and the 23 rival Championship clubs to outline his "serious concerns" over football's return amid the coronavirus pandemic.

It has been previously reported that five second-tier clubs are rebelling against a season restart, with three said to be from Yorkshire, with Hull City being the first club.

WalesOnline understands Cardiff City and Swansea City, both of whom sit within three points of the play-off spots, are in favour of restarting the campaign as and when it is safe to do so.

But the Hull City chief has claimed the club will face costs of around £1.2million in failing to complete the season and addresses his fears over sporting integrity, revealing that he will vote against potential changes to contract extensions beyond June 30.

The Tigers sit one place and two points above the relegation places having failed to win a Championship match since New Year's Day.

Allam writes: “I do not presently believe that the 2019/20 season can be safely completed without unnecessarily exposing Championship clubs to potential legal action in the event that one or more of its employees (or their family members) were to become infected with Covid-19.

“As made clear on last week’s conference call, I am against the 2019/20 season being completed under the present circumstances and in light of the wider public health issues facing the United Kingdom at the present time.

“My position remains that the season should be voided and (with no further games played and efforts instead being focused upon ensuring a safe return in the advance of next season, whenever that ultimately takes place), with this means of drawing a conclusion to the 2019/20 season (including how the important questions of promotion and relegation would then be addressed) being put to a formal vote pursuant to the EFL’s Articles of Association.”

Despite Hull City's objections, it's understood that the majority of Championship clubs are keen to complete the 2019/20 season.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Hull City first club to reveal

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Hull City revealed as first club to oppose Championship restart in open letter to Cardiff City, Swansea City, Leeds United and West Brom

The Tigers are hovering dangerously above the bottom three but it is understood both South Wales clubs are in favour of the season resuming

By Glen Williams

Tuesday 19th May 2020

Ehab Allam, centre, the vice-chairman of Hull City, has written to all Championship clubs to say he thinks the season should be voided
Hull City have been revealed as the first club to oppose to restarting the Championship season.

Ehab Allam, the club’s vice-chairman, has written to EFL chairman Rick Parry and the 23 rival Championship clubs to outline his "serious concerns" over football's return amid the coronavirus pandemic.

It has been previously reported that five second-tier clubs are rebelling against a season restart, with three said to be from Yorkshire, with Hull City being the first club.

WalesOnline understands Cardiff City and Swansea City, both of whom sit within three points of the play-off spots, are in favour of restarting the campaign as and when it is safe to do so.

But the Hull City chief has claimed the club will face costs of around £1.2million in failing to complete the season and addresses his fears over sporting integrity, revealing that he will vote against potential changes to contract extensions beyond June 30.

The Tigers sit one place and two points above the relegation places having failed to win a Championship match since New Year's Day.

Allam writes: “I do not presently believe that the 2019/20 season can be safely completed without unnecessarily exposing Championship clubs to potential legal action in the event that one or more of its employees (or their family members) were to become infected with Covid-19.

“As made clear on last week’s conference call, I am against the 2019/20 season being completed under the present circumstances and in light of the wider public health issues facing the United Kingdom at the present time.

“My position remains that the season should be voided and (with no further games played and efforts instead being focused upon ensuring a safe return in the advance of next season, whenever that ultimately takes place), with this means of drawing a conclusion to the 2019/20 season (including how the important questions of promotion and relegation would then be addressed) being put to a formal vote pursuant to the EFL’s Articles of Association.”

Despite Hull City's objections, it's understood that the majority of Championship clubs are keen to complete the 2019/20 season.

The words ‘hovering above the bottom 3’ are the key for me. Be interesting to hear their stance if they were top 6. Tbf though I think most clubs would do the same in their position.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Mr Moo Cow » Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm

My personal view is football should be null and void this season and start afresh next season

What is football without supporters ?

Problem comes if we get a 2nd wave of this virus - Throws next season into turmoil as well if this happens
Mr Moo Cow

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue May 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:My personal view is football should be null and void this season and start afresh next season

Problem comes if we get a 2nd wave of this virus - Throws next season into turmoil as well if this happens

Fully agree with you this season is now a nonsense and should be scrapped.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Tue May 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Hull are not just “hovering above the relegation zone” they are in free fall and will probably get relegated so they have a genuine reason for wanting the season cancelled
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby theclaw » Tue May 19, 2020 5:18 pm

I don’t blame Hull.
theclaw

Postby skidemin » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Hull are not just “hovering above the relegation zone” they are in free fall and will probably get relegated so they have a genuine reason for wanting the season cancelled

yes, well they were in free fall but I think a 2 month break might bring different types of form to different clubs. will be interesting if it does start back and wouldn't be surprised to see more than the normal amount of results that youd not expect.

regarding Hull and any team where there could be a relegation downside I don't blame them one bit.
skidemin

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm

i think some fans would feel different if we were top.

i dont see any logic in voiding a season so close to a finish. We just dont start a new one until this one is finished.
2blue2handle

Postby BLUECHUGGY » Wed May 20, 2020 7:31 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:My personal view is football should be null and void this season and start afresh next season

Well put, with you all the way on this one :thumbup:
BLUECHUGGY

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed May 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Null and void can't be an option, primarily for the money.

This all "football is nothing without fans" is a nice thought but it's just people dreaming.

Money makes the world go round and the same applies to football.

The season will continue without supporters in stadiums, and people need to get used to that idea.

Worked well enough in Germany at the weekend.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Mr Moo Cow » Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Null and void can't be an option, primarily for the money.

This all "football is nothing without fans" is a nice thought but it's just people dreaming.

The season will continue without supporters in stadiums, and people need to get used to that idea.

It was my opinion but money means nothing if players are still testing positive for this virus

It just can’t and won’t start up until it’s safe

For me I would have no interest in games behind closed doors, that German football was a farce
Mr Moo Cow

Postby RV Casual » Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 pm

If one person dies as a direct result of coronavirus which is then attributed to the resumption of Football then it will be a sad state of affairs.

I'm glad I haven't got to make the decisions, it's the same with Schools, one child or teacher dies as a direct result then it's a huge can of worms.

Some things just need to be put on the back foot for the moment, sport is one of them.
RV Casual

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:

It was my opinion but money means nothing if players are still testing positive for this virus

For me I would have no interest in games behind closed doors, that German football was a farce

I agree that it has to be safe for players before it starts, no argument with that.

But get used to seeing matches with no fans.

Null and void is not an option.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby jimmy_rat » Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote:

I agree that it has to be safe for players before it starts, no argument with that.

The silence was surreal.

Can't they play fan noise? Or even better let you sing down your phone! Haha
jimmy_rat

Postby skidemin » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote:

its only not an option because of TV.. so it really comes down to how flexible TV companies are willing to be.. and how important next seasons product is to them.. at this point in time im sure they think they can televise both an end to 19/20 and a full 20/21 season but as the days/weeks roll by and the 20/21 season comes under jeopardy that might change..?
skidemin

Return to General Chat