Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Jordon Mutch still only '

Wed May 20, 2020 10:41 am

What happened to Jordon Mutch, the Cardiff City and Crystal Palace enigma playing in the middle of nowhere and is still only 28

The midfielder gained his fair share of fans in this corner of the world, but his journey has gone from Premier League riches to almost nothing in a matter of years

By Glen Williams

Wednesday 20th May 2020

Jordon Mutch's time at Cardiff City is remembered fondly by most.

Having worked with him previously at Watford, then manager Malky Mackay was delighted with the capture of Mutch, who was then also impressing at England Under-21 level.

"Jordon is a top player with great potential for a big career in the game, which we hope to see him fulfil with us here at Cardiff City," Mackay said upon signing him.

All the noises from Birmingham City, however, were that this guy was going to be a top player for years to come, that's for sure.

Having bedded in during his first season at the club, the year they were first promoted to the Premier League, largely owing to injury troubles, it is not unfair to say he flourished in the top flight.

In a Bluebirds side which quite frankly struggled in the top tier, Mutch scored seven goals and produce five assists from his advanced midfield role. During that season, Mackay tipped him to go on and achieve great things in the game and, depending on how you view success, some would argue he did that. But it all appears to have fallen off a cliff.

Let's have a look at the player's journey from South Wales to where he finds himself now.

When City were relegated back down to the Championship, Mutch, then 22 and with the world at his feet, had his fair share of admirers.

But it was Harry Redknapp at QPR who won the race and it genuinely seemed like a coup for him, forking out a somewhat princely £6m for him.

“Jordon’s a fine young player, with a big, big future,” said Redknapp at the time. “He’s already shown what he can do at this level with Cardiff last season with a decent goals return – and this move will provide him with a great platform to take his game on to the next level.

“He wants to learn and improve his game. He’s a good pro with a great attitude and this is a big opportunity for him at QPR.”

But Mutch's time at QPR was a frustrating one, failing to really hold down a position in the first team. By the time the end of January came around in 2015, he had played only 11 games in all competition for the club.

But it was Crystal Palace who offered him a lifeline out and, after just six months in West London, he moved to the south of the capital and penned a lengthy four-and-a-half-year deal at Selhurst Park.

That contract, though, would prove to be both a blessing and a curse. He was tied down for so long that clubs simply couldn't afford to buy him out.

Barring one season when he made 20 Premier League appearances, Mutch was seemingly marginalised at Palace and it seemed his career was hastily declining.

He made 11 starts in three years at Palace and was soon becoming a much maligned figure there, as they Croyden Advertiser reported in March 2018.

The midfielder failed to impress a succession of managers, including Alan Pardew, Sam Allardyce, Frank de Boer and Roy Hodgson, while at Selhurst Park and went consequently shipped on loan to Reading in 2017.

Mutch, meanwhile, blamed the managerial merry-go-round for his lack of game-time and it all got a bit ugly.

After a loan spell at Vancouver Whitecaps, where he linked up with Bluebirds great Robert Earnshaw, who was coaching there at the time, Mutch returned to Palace, who tore up his contract last January, six months before it was due to end.

By some bizarre turn of fate, however, Cardiff City were linked with re-signing him again. Would he come back to the place which saw his stock rise astronomically?

Unfortunately for him, no, a move never materialised.

Since being linked with a Bluebirds reunion and being unceremoniously axed from his Palace contract, still less than 18 months ago, remember, Mutch's career has dropped off a cliff.

With a dearth of options on the table, Mutch headed to the Far East last February in a desperate bid to resurrect his career with Gyeongnam FC in the South Korean top flight.

But, again, something was amiss and he played only one match.

By the July, just five months into his one-year deal and after just 13 appearances, it was another embarrassing contract termination for him, with the club citing his inability to make an adequate transition on and off the field.

So, 27 and jobless, what next? A whole lot of nothing.

Mutch, the age he should be at his prime, spent seven months searching for his next club. With nothing forthcoming, it looked desperate, as though he would never catch another break.

That was until Norwegian second tier club Aalesunds FK, situated right on the western coast of the country, took a punt back in February. And, let's face it, it was a punt, given he had not played regular football in such a long time and had not settled at his last three clubs.

They did, however, earn promotion to the top flight and will compete in the Eliteserien next season, when football returns there.

"We are very pleased that Jordon has signed for us," Bohinen said after signing him. "This is a solid reinforcement.

"He showed his qualities of training with us during the days he was up here, proving that he can add a lot to us.

"The dialogue with the player has been very good since he returned to England, and he himself has had a strong desire to sign for us."

Mutch, meanwhile, said: "I can't wait to get started. I hope the supporters show up and support us when the season starts. In me they get a player who gives everything. I bring my experience and skills, and hope to help lift the team. I really look forward to it."

Whether it's a case of same old, same old, or whether a fresh challenge in the Norwegian premier division is exactly what he needs is anyone's guess.

But what is for certain is that, six years since he departed the club, Mutch's best days were by far and away in a Cardiff City shirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Jordon Mutch still only '

Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 am

He was one of our better players that season. Carried the ball forward very well and I’ll never forget Rooney kicking him in our hand game v Man U. Definitely should have walked for that.

Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Loved his goal at Fulham that resulted in Neil kinnocks removal from the directors box for what Fulham regarded as over celebration. Maybe he applauded loadly without the aid of a clapping device

Thu May 21, 2020 9:12 am

JM was a class act in that first PL season and seemed to be one of the few that adapted well to the highest level.

It is really sad to see his career fall off a cliff.

You have to wonder that he can't be earning a lot at the Norwegian club Bohinen so he could potentially be the type of signing we could take a punt on (a years contract and/or pay as you play deal) with a very small or no fee.

He would provide both back up and competition to Lee Tomlin which we saw when LT got injured is desperately needed.

Thu May 21, 2020 9:13 am

JM was a class act in that first PL season and seemed to be one of the few that adapted well to the highest level.

It is really sad to see his career fall off a cliff.

You have to wonder that he can't be earning a lot at the Norwegian club Bohinen so he could potentially be the type of signing we could take a punt on (a years contract and/or pay as you play deal) with a very small or no fee.

He would provide both back up and competition to Lee Tomlin as we were left wanting when LT got injured.

Thu May 21, 2020 11:51 am

I was never really a fan of mutch but I got to give it to him - his goal at Fulham was top! I felt at times he was quite lazy. I was glad to see him go but he has got ability.

Thu May 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Norris ninian wrote:Loved his goal at Fulham that resulted in Neil kinnocks removal from the directors box for what Fulham regarded as over celebration. Maybe he applauded loadly without the aid of a clapping device

I've not heard about this but would have loved to have seen it.

Thu May 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Norris ninian wrote:Loved his goal at Fulham that resulted in Neil kinnocks removal from the directors box for what Fulham regarded as over celebration. Maybe he applauded loadly without the aid of a clapping device

I've not heard about this but would have loved to have seen it.

unfortunately the accompanying picture of him has him in a red scarf and one of those ties MM used to wear with a caption saying how he loves to cheer...the reds.

https://metro.co.uk/2013/10/01/cheer-we ... m-4129948/

Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am

That was a great goal but his pass for Campbell's goal against Man Utd remains one of the best I've seen in 50 years of watching the city.

Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 am

epping blue wrote:

That was a great goal but his pass for Campbell's goal against Man Utd remains one of the best I've seen in 50 years of watching the city.

Yes I remember that. There was one spot that the pass could have been put in for FC not to break his stride and JM found that space
https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/947117
:bluescarf:

Fri May 22, 2020 12:01 pm

What a day that was!

Seems like ages ago. His pass was sublime, completely shredded the defence.

My mate jumping and celebrating landing on my foot.

Never forget it

He's lost about 5 stone since.

:)

Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:What a day that was!

Never forget it

I think you have the wrong player mate.. Tomlin ?

Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm

skidemin wrote:

Never forget it

He may be talking about his mate who landed on his foot :thumbup:

Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Never forget it

yes I know. but I couldnt resist..

Fri May 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Just called my slimmed down mate :)

Fri May 22, 2020 4:37 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Never forget it

yes I know. but I couldnt resist..

Argh I thought it may be a ‘whoosh’ moment for me. :thumbup:

Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am

I liked Jordan much I thought he was going to be a player who would have been with us a long time like peter whittingham I was at Fulham that day when he got the winner it was hell of a goal the place went mental I thought that was the day we arrived in the pl I didn’t even think we would get relegated but that’s another storey