Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " WOW "

Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:If thats a genuine picture from today i find that shocking.

I dont know whats so difficult in the Gov advice, this should not be happening. whats the saying, give an inche and they take a yard.

Barry island all but empty today.

Here we go once again Luke :lol:

Genuine picture ??

I took it of ITV news today

I know Barry island was almost empty , I never mentioned there.

Annis you get so defensive :lol:

I dont know if its genuine, i dont think you provided a link at the time that i seen and i dont watch the news. I wasnt saying it wasnt real im saying if it is then it shockong behaviour.

I know you never mentioned Barry island and i never said you did, i was adding my own in put to the thread as i knew Barry Island was empty as i seen the with my own eyes.

not everything is an arguement :lol: If anything i was agreeing with you. i wont bother in future.

AS TO DEFENSIVE? WHEN THE SAME PERSON CONTINUES TO ASK PATHETIC QUESTIONS ALL THE TIME & ASKING IF THE PHOTO IS REAL KNOWING I HAVE ARGUED FOR WKS WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU, WHY WOULD I PUT FAKE STUFF OUT/ MAYBE ITS BECAUSE THAT IS THE TYPE OF STUFFF YOU DO OR MIX WITH THOSE TYPE OF PEOPLE.

Luke, i cant be bothered even answering you anymore as you will always have a snipe making out a photo or a story might not be real, youve done it for yrs with me.

You also say you wont come on here if Roathie is on, but will if not on, to be honest , I would rather him on here than you anytime.

Your the one that always tries to put doubt in my pictures or stories, so yes please stay of :thumbright: :thumbright:

fine, i wont post :lol:

you seem to be confusing yourself but nevermind as you have quite clearly misunderstand what im saying while im agreeing with you :lol:

Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm

We scientists said lock down. But UK politicians refused to listen.

By Helen Ward

The Guardian
For 11 fateful days in March, the government ignored the best coronavirus advice. It must learn from that mistake

Helen Ward is professor of public health at Imperial College London
Coronavirus –

Boris Johnson arrives at a news conference on 12 March.

In mid-February a colleague mentioned that for the first time in his life he was more concerned than his mother, who had been relatively blase about the risks of Covid-19. It felt odd for him to be telling her to take care. We are both professors in a department of infectious disease epidemiology, and we were worried.

Two months on, that anxiety has not gone, although it’s also been joined by a sense of sadness. It’s now clear that so many people have died, and so many more are desperately ill, simply because our politicians refused to listen to and act on advice. Scientists like us said lock down earlier; we said test, trace, isolate. But they decided they knew better.

Am I being unfair? The government assures us that its decisions and timing are based on science, as if it is a neutral, value-free process resulting in a specific set of instructions. In reality, the science around coronavirus is in its infancy and developing daily, with researchers across the world trying to understand how the virus spreads, how the body responds – and how to treat it and control it. The speed at which our knowledge has increased is impressive, from the sequencing of the virus in January through to having candidate vaccines in early February.

Mathematical models are being refined to predict the extent and speed of spread and estimate the impact of control methods. My own group is studying the response of communities, showing how the epidemic is amplifying existing social inequalities. People with the lowest household income are far less likely, but no less willing, to be able to work from home or to self-isolate.

But while scientists carry out observations and experiments, testing, iterating and discovering new knowledge, it is the role of policymakers to act on the best available evidence. In the context of a rapidly growing threat, that means listening to experts with experience of responding to previous epidemics.

When I say that politicians “refused to listen”, I am referring to the advice and recommendations coming from the World Health Organization, from China and from Italy. The WHO advice, based on decades of experience and widely accepted by public health leaders and scientists around the world was clear – use every possible tool to suppress transmission. That meant testing and isolating cases, tracing and quarantining contacts, and ramping up hygiene efforts.

The UK did well in the early phase, but then, on 12 March, the government alarmed many public health experts by abruptly abandoning containment and announcing that community case-finding and contact-tracing would stop. The aim was no longer to stop people getting it, but to slow it down while protecting the vulnerable.

The evidence underpinning the government’s decision appears in a report from 9 March summarising the potential impact of behavioural and social interventions. The report did not consider the impact of case-finding and contact-tracing, but it did suggest that the biggest impact on cases and deaths would come from social distancing and the protection of vulnerable groups.

Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 pm

People living in seaside resorts have said they are "horrified" by the influx of visitors as temperatures soared ahead of the bank holiday weekend.

Thousands of people have headed to English beaches, with many apparently unconcerned about public health issues.

"Hundreds die every day yet people think it's OK to have a jolly on the beach," a walker in Southend said.

Norfolk Chief Constable Simon Bailey said he feared there was a perception that lockdown was "done and dusted".

Fri May 22, 2020 9:04 pm

People in England are being urged to stay away from tourism hotspots over the bank holiday weekend, with warm weather again forecast.

Pictures of large numbers visiting beaches in Brighton and Southend in recent days have raised fears over social distancing, with no limit in place on how far people can travel.

Visitors to Brighton will find stewards stationed around the beach to encourage physical distancing and direct people to less busy parts of the seafront if it becomes too busy.

Councillor Carmen Appich, from Brighton & Hove City Council, said it would be an "insult to the NHS staff and frontline workers" to promote the city as a destination to visit.

Hastings Borough Council says the area is "closed to visitors from outside the town" and on the Isle of Wight the council's "clear advice" is to stay away.

People are also being advised not to visit Blackpool and have been asked to think twice before visiting the Peak District or Morecambe Bay.

In Cornwall, council leaders have warned there is no lifeguard cover, and a large coastal swell and spring tide will bring hazardous sea conditions over the weekend.

The National Trust is urging people across England to stay close to home and explore local green spaces and countryside this weekend.

Speaking at the daily Downing Street press conference, Home Secretary Priti Patel said people can enjoy the outdoors as long as they follow social distancing advice.