Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or abroad

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or abroad

Postby Bluebina » Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Coronaphobia is alive and kicking with half not wanting to go back to work, I'm sure the 80% to 100% pay for free helps!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... kdown.html

Coronaphobia is STILL gripping cautious Britain: Almost two thirds of us would feel uncomfortable going to pub or foreign holiday at end of lockdown - and fewer than HALF want to return to work
Poll by Ipsos Mori shows many people have concerns about post-lockdown life
Some 65 per cent said they would feel uncomfortable going to public gathering
Six in 10 people would be uncomfortable returning to pubs and restaurants
Meanwhile, just 47 per cent said they would feel comfortable returning to work

Almost two thirds of Britons would feel uncomfortable going to the pub or taking a foreign holiday when lockdown ends, according to a new survey which suggests 'coronaphobia' is still gripping the UK.

Some 60 per cent of the nation would feel uncomfortable going to a bar or restaurant with the same number saying the same about taking a holiday abroad.

Meanwhile, less than half of people say they would feel comfortable returning to their place of work and 65 per cent would feel uncomfortable attending a large public gathering.

The latest poll numbers published by Ipsos Mori suggest Boris Johnson is facing an uphill battle to get Britain back to normal.

The polling company said that even though the Prime Minister has set out his road map for exiting lockdown 'public mood does not seem to have shifted very significantly' and there are 'still many anxieties that need to be overcome'.

Respondents to the survey were told to imagine that lockdown ended entirely within the next month.

They were then asked how comfortable, if at all, they would feel doing things in the same way that they used to do them before the outbreak.

The findings showed that six in 10 people would be not very comfortable or not at all comfortable going to a bar or restaurant.

Approximately three in 10 (29 per cent) said they would feel very comfortable or fairly comfortable.

On travelling abroad for a holiday, just 20 per cent said they would feel very or fairly comfortable compared to 60 per cent who said not very comfortable or not at all comfortable.

On large gatherings of people, just 18 per cent said they would be comfortable attending in the way that they used to compared to 65 per cent who said they would be uncomfortable.

Gideon Skinner, head of political research at Ipsos MORI, said: 'Despite the summer holidays looming, only two in ten people say they would be comfortable holidaying abroad if lockdown was lifted in the coming month.

'Our findings hold out more hope for those running tourism businesses in the UK, but there are clearly still many people who will need to be reassured.

'Overall, the public mood does not seem to have shifted very significantly – whilst people are looking forward to seeing friends and family again, there are still many anxieties that need to be overcome before life will begin to return to normal.'

Some 45 per cent of people said they would feel very or fairly comfortable going on holiday in the UK versus 44 per cent who said they would be uncomfortable.

The reason the numbers do not add up to 100 is because people who either did not previously do these activities or who have not stopped have been excluded.

Aside from the holidays, pubs and public gatherings issues, the polling suggests Mr Johnson faces a more pressing problem.

The Government is actively encouraging people who cannot work from home to now return to work.

But the survey showed that only 47 per cent of people feel very or fairly comfortable going back.

Almost four in ten (38 per cent) said they would feel not very comfortable or not at all comfortable at the prospect.

There also appears to be considerable disquiet about the Government's plans for the reopening of primary schools with 50 per cent of people saying they would not be comfortable with their children returning to classrooms.

When Mr Johnson set out his lockdown exit strategy he said it would be comprised of three stages.

The first one, which has now been enacted, allows people to exercise as much as they want and to meet one other person from outside of their household outdoors as long as they socially distance.

The second stage, potentially starting from June 1, would see the phased reopening of primary schools and some non-essential shops.

Stage three could then begin in July with places of worship and leisure and hospitality venues reopening.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 10600
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 am

Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or abroad

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby pembroke allan » Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 pm

So many stories about deaths social distancing only a couple of passengers allowed on a bus or train it's no wonder people dont want to do anything unless it suits them (like beach).... some experts say lockdown should end now as the proposals being put into place now are unsustainable and not viable for businesses for length of time being banded about and hoping for a vaccine which every
experts say may never be found.... which is true!
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 20902
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm

pubs / entertainment etc - dont see how they can ever get back to safe levels - and even if they do - they wont have any customers - until a vaccine is found.

When the time comes to try and get the money back , what will happen ?

If you have been furloughed and enjoyed your £2500 a month free money time off - that's great. Whereas if you are a nurse and have been working trying to save lives - as well as risking your own life. Will you be happy for the nurse to pay more tax ?
no - me neither.

If you have been furloughed then you should have your tax code altered until you have paid it back - nothing too harsh - a quid here and there over a decade. And if you were turned down for assistance - you shouldn't pay any more either.
ReesWestonSuperMare
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby skidemin » Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:So many stories about deaths social distancing only a couple of passengers allowed on a bus or train it's no wonder people dont want to do anything unless it suits them (like beach).... some experts say lockdown should end now as the proposals being put into place now are unsustainable and not viable for businesses for length of time being banded about and hoping for a vaccine which every
experts say may never be found.... which is true!



I wonder how that 47% figure would change if furlough hadn't been extended..?
skidemin
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby Bluebina » Thu May 21, 2020 2:02 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:So many stories about deaths social distancing only a couple of passengers allowed on a bus or train it's no wonder people dont want to do anything unless it suits them (like beach).... some experts say lockdown should end now as the proposals being put into place now are unsustainable and not viable for businesses for length of time being banded about and hoping for a vaccine which every
experts say may never be found.... which is true!



I wonder how that 47% figure would change if furlough hadn't been extended..?


Definitely, if you're sitting pretty on 80% pay for feck all work, why would people prefer to risk potential death? (virtually no chance if you're under 30 with no health issues)

That view is a bit short-sighted as the extra furlough will put an even greater strain on business's and now a larger percentage of the people furloughed will be made redundant when the World does start to come back.

You only have to look at the airlines to see what the business response will be, we don't need so many so get rid of as many as we can on good terms and conditions now, and if the business picks up we can recruit cheaper staff to fill the gap.

The balance is shifting from the employee back to the employer, so some of these fussy unions need to be careful making it difficult for people to go back to work.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 10600
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby Bluebina » Thu May 21, 2020 2:09 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:pubs / entertainment etc - dont see how they can ever get back to safe levels - and even if they do - they wont have any customers - until a vaccine is found.

When the time comes to try and get the money back , what will happen ?

If you have been furloughed and enjoyed your £2500 a month free money time off - that's great. Whereas if you are a nurse and have been working trying to save lives - as well as risking your own life. Will you be happy for the nurse to pay more tax ?
no - me neither.

If you have been furloughed then you should have your tax code altered until you have paid it back - nothing too harsh - a quid here and there over a decade. And if you were turned down for assistance - you shouldn't pay any more either.



I've suggested the same idea in the past, and it's probably fairer, the people getting the time off now could pay it back over ten years, in the same way, that a student does with the student loan. It would certainly encourage some back to work and would offer less resistance to go back people realising it's just a loan.

It's all about perspective, someone on furlough would not want this as it would affect them directly.

That's not how it works anyway, taxpayers keep paying and it's used where it's needed and only a small number of the population benefit from any types of handouts, at least in this case they were working up until this virus and will have been paying tax from their own income.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 10600
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby skidemin » Thu May 21, 2020 2:28 pm

Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:So many stories about deaths social distancing only a couple of passengers allowed on a bus or train it's no wonder people dont want to do anything unless it suits them (like beach).... some experts say lockdown should end now as the proposals being put into place now are unsustainable and not viable for businesses for length of time being banded about and hoping for a vaccine which every
experts say may never be found.... which is true!



I wonder how that 47% figure would change if furlough hadn't been extended..?


Definitely, if you're sitting pretty on 80% pay for feck all work, why would people prefer to risk potential death? (virtually no chance if you're under 30 with no health issues)

That view is a bit short-sighted as the extra furlough will put an even greater strain on business's and now a larger percentage of the people furloughed will be made redundant when the World does start to come back.

You only have to look at the airlines to see what the business response will be, we don't need so many so get rid of as many as we can on good terms and conditions now, and if the business picks up we can recruit cheaper staff to fill the gap.

The balance is shifting from the employee back to the employer, so some of these fussy unions need to be careful making it difficult for people to go back to work.



the risking potential death line { I know its not yours } absolutely grinds my gears.. I have 3 adult children all who have worked through this who do not think they are going over the top in Galipoli everyday... been shit on from a great height by those sat at home on 2k a month pretending to be scared stiff but still in Tesco and the range every day...the October extension was a massive kick in the nuts for them and all like them... ..7 million people plus worked through this and went home to their families everyday and im reading things like what if a superfit 25 year olds catches it , would have to shut everything down again...yeah ok ,loads of supermarkets have shut because an employee went ill haven't they ? .....people need to get real stop clapping and get to fckin work..
skidemin
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:53 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:So many stories about deaths social distancing only a couple of passengers allowed on a bus or train it's no wonder people dont want to do anything unless it suits them (like beach).... some experts say lockdown should end now as the proposals being put into place now are unsustainable and not viable for businesses for length of time being banded about and hoping for a vaccine which every
experts say may never be found.... which is true!



I wonder how that 47% figure would change if furlough hadn't been extended..?


Definitely, if you're sitting pretty on 80% pay for feck all work, why would people prefer to risk potential death? (virtually no chance if you're under 30 with no health issues)

That view is a bit short-sighted as the extra furlough will put an even greater strain on business's and now a larger percentage of the people furloughed will be made redundant when the World does start to come back.

You only have to look at the airlines to see what the business response will be, we don't need so many so get rid of as many as we can on good terms and conditions now, and if the business picks up we can recruit cheaper staff to fill the gap.

The balance is shifting from the employee back to the employer, so some of these fussy unions need to be careful making it difficult for people to go back to work.



the risking potential death line { I know its not yours } absolutely grinds my gears.. I have 3 adult children all who have worked through this who do not think they are going over the top in Galipoli everyday... been shit on from a great height by those sat at home on 2k a month pretending to be scared stiff but still in Tesco and the range every day...the October extension was a massive kick in the nuts for them and all like them... ..7 million people plus worked through this and went home to their families everyday and im reading things like what if a superfit 25 year olds catches it , would have to shut everything down again...yeah ok ,loads of supermarkets have shut because an employee went ill haven't they ? .....people need to get real stop clapping and get to fckin work..

Great post mate. So many good points. :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962
 
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:39 am

Re: Two thirds would feel uncomfortable going to a pub or ab

Postby Foghorn65 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Too many people more than happy to sit in their gardens and have 2 grand a month. Why wouldn't they?
Foghorn65
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:19 pm



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: davids, FOOTSOLDIER, Google [Bot], Jimmy Scoular, skidemin and 172 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.