Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Gazumping Swansea City '

Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 am

Gazumping Swansea City

Roger Johnson was just one day away from signing for Swansea City back in 2006, who had tabled a £100,000 bid to take him from Wycombe.

ROGER JOHNSON:

"I spoke to Kenny Jackett and it was, well, I'm not going to say it was done, but I am a man of my word, I was on my way up there," he told WalesOnline.

"I'm sure it would have happened if Cardiff didn't hijack it. I had a call from my agent and he told me about Cardiff, I said, 'Cardiff? Are you going mad? You said it was Swansea the other day?'

"He said, 'No, no, Cardiff have joined the hunt!'

"So, obviously, Swansea were in League One at that time and Cardiff were in the Championship, so it was an absolute no-brainer.

"I was due to go there (Swansea) the following day!"

What a decision that would prove to be. Johnson went on to win two Player of the Season awards in three years at the club and was named in the Championship Team of the Year, becoming a huge fan favourite in the process.

It just makes it that bit sweeter for Cardiff fans that they took him under Swansea's nose. A phone call right in the nick of time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Gazumping Swansea City '

Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Not sure Swansea lost out. Didn't they sign Ashley Williams instead not long after?