Former Stoke City & Wolves star defends huge Cardiff Flop

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am

Former Stoke City and Wolves star defends huge Cardiff City flop and dubs him 'one of the best I've played with'

Gary Madine failed to score a goal during his two-year stint with the Bluebirds, but his former Bolton Wanderers team-mate has leapt to his defence and calls him 'brilliant'

By Glen Williams

Friday 22nd May 2020

Gary Madine's spell at Cardiff City was a disaster, but a former team-mate has defended his abilities (Image: Getty Images)
Wolves and Stoke City legend Karl Henry has leapt to the defence of £6million Cardiff City flop Gary Madine, branding him one of the best strikers he has played with.

Madine's two-year stay in the Welsh capital was a disaster, with the striker failing to even score a single goal after his big money transfer under Neil Warnock.

Bluebirds boss Neil Harris took the decision to axe Madine's contract six months before it was due to expire, thus allowing him to join League One Blackpool on a free transfer and put him out of his Cardiff misery.

Madine, 29, was bought from Bolton in 2017, with the fans frustrated by his lack of impact and the two-year goal drought.

But Henry, who played with him at Bolton and lined up alongside a multitude of hugely-talented forwards during his 19-year career, has defended the former Bluebirds front man. Madine hit his peak while playing for Wanderers, scoring 26 goals in just over 100 appearances.

"Of all the players, Gary Madine is one of the best strikers I've played with," Henry told the Lion of Vienna Suite podcast. "I loved playing with Gary Madine.

"This is when I realised how bad the financial situation was - I've never known a team who is bottom of the league sell their top goalscorer and main focal point.

"Our whole game was based around Gary Madine, I think that was clear for everybody to see. He was brilliant. As a player, to have someone like that in your team was unbelievable.

"He would bring balls down on his chest that defenders were trying to head. He was so strong and I loved playing with him. He was a brilliant player for us"

While Madine never hit his stride in the blue of Cardiff City, his pedigree in the lower leagues is unquestioned, with reputable goal returns at Bolton and his hometown club Carlisle.

He also enjoyed a good time of it up in Sheffield, scoring 28 goals for Wednesday and netting three times last season to help United reach the Premier League.
Attachments
199203AE-E789-4F96-BF3A-200D2F3B0B1F.jpeg
199203AE-E789-4F96-BF3A-200D2F3B0B1F.jpeg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Former Stoke City & Wolves star defends huge Cardiff Flo

Postby buckleys brewery » Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am

Useless lump of shit. End of.
buckleys brewery

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 am

buckleys brewery wrote:Useless lump of shit. End of.

Can't possibly add anything to that :(
Tony Blue Williams

Postby valleyrambill » Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:
Useless lump of shit. End of.

Was he that good ??? :banghead:
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby Jasonccfc » Sat May 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:Useless lump of shit. End of.

Can't possibly add anything to that :(

I can. Utter useless lump of shit
Jasonccfc

Return to General Chat