Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City : 17 years ago after 18 years in the wilderness

Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 am

17 years ago after 18 years in the wilderness of Division 3 & 4 Up popped Andy Campbell to score one of the most important goals in Cardiff City history sent 40,000 bluebirds absolutely wild.

Today is affectionately known in the blue half of Wales as Andy Campbell day.

Some many amazing memories during those years and united as a club :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City : 17 years ago after 18 years in the wilder

Sat May 23, 2020 11:03 am

We have to admit what ever anyone thinks of Sam, it was Sam who united our club, put the club out there to the world, brought Joy and the crowds came back. No one else wanted us. Great day and what a memory :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat May 23, 2020 11:13 am

Can still see that goal going in now,sat there thinking we are not going to win this then bang ,one of my favourite memories

Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am

Its monday mate the 25th

25/5/03 Cardiff got promoted
25/5/04 My son was born
25/5/05 Liverpool accomplished the greatest come back in EC history

Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am

ion wrote:Can still see that goal going in now,sat there thinking we are not going to win this then bang ,one of my favourite memories

Yea I remember having the same thoughts. It was one of those days where it seemed we would never score, then out of the blue bang Campbell did his stuff!

Also on another point when Lennie brought Campbell on and took Earnie off I remember screaming "Ho no the man (Lennie) doesn't have a clue" :oops:

Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am

Barryblue08 wrote:Its monday mate the 25th

25/5/03 Cardiff got promoted
25/5/04 My son was born
25/5/05 Liverpool accomplished the greatest come back in EC history

Oops Sorry Gary, I knew it was around this weekend :lol:

Even better memories for you :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat May 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We have to admit what ever anyone thinks of Sam, it was Sam who united our club, put the club out there to the world, brought Joy and the crowds came back. No one else wanted us. Great day and what a memory :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

100% ..nobody wanted us even after Rick Wright had brought us hope and got our average crowds back up over 8k ..

personally I think if Sam hadn't come along no one would have , or at least not anyone that actually believed our club could be anything more than a run of the mill lower tier club.. not everything worked out..but without him getting us in motion our last 20 years would look very different..

Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 pm

skidemin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:We have to admit what ever anyone thinks of Sam, it was Sam who united our club, put the club out there to the world, brought Joy and the crowds came back. No one else wanted us. Great day and what a memory :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

100% ..nobody wanted us even after Rick Wright had brought us hope and got our average crowds back up over 8k ..

personally I think if Sam hadn't come along no one would have , or at least not anyone that actually believed our club could be anything more than a run of the mill lower tier club.. not everything worked out..but without him getting us in motion our last 20 years would look very different..

Or we could be like Man city and be top of the premier league

Nobody knows what could or would have happened .

He caused more damage than he fixed by the end of it all. Hes no hero here and held this club back financially for years after he left and nearly sent us under. He left us in a worse state than he found us that's a fact and it was Peter Ridsdales management then Vincent Tans money who kept us alive and got us here today not Sam Hamman

Sat May 23, 2020 3:05 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

He caused more damage than he fixed by the end of it all. Hes no hero here and held this club back financially for years after he left and nearly sent us under. He left us in a worse state than he found us that's a fact and it was Peter Ridsdales management then Vincent Tans money who kept us alive and got us here today not Sam Hamman

no mate Manchester City are and have always been one of the top 5/6 supported clubs in the country.. and never short of investors... absolutely zero comparison..
as for the worse state ..how is 2 divisions higher and treble the crowds with plans for a new stadium worse... come off it..
its not sam v tan here.... and I wish people wouldn't get carried away with it being that....tan wouldn't be here if not for sam because there is no way in Europe vt would be buying a 4th tier club ...so it should be sam v dai the papershop or whoever else would have been owning us..

Sat May 23, 2020 3:40 pm

This was one of the best moments of my life besides my children being born lol when that goal went in and yes Sam did start the last 17 years without doubt we were going down and down until Sam came in for us.

I remember taking my son to meet all the players and poor Andy Campbell was there on his own and I walked up to him to tell him that he scored one of the most important goals in Cardiff City history I felt so sorry the way his career went as he had great potential he was fast and could score but I wonder when Earnie went he felt the pressure as his confidence seem to go

Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

no mate Manchester City are and have always been one of the top 5/6 supported clubs in the country.. and never short of investors... absolutely zero comparison..
as for the worse state ..how is 2 divisions higher and treble the crowds with plans for a new stadium worse... come off it..
its not sam v tan here.... and I wish people wouldn't get carried away with it being that....tan wouldn't be here if not for sam because there is no way in Europe vt would be buying a 4th tier club ...so it should be sam v dai the papershop or whoever else would have been owning us..

Behave
He loaned all the money he spent and made us pay it back at massive interest whilst trying us up in court cases for years after.

He bought us when we had £1.5 million debt and left us a few years later owing over £30million and the tax man chasing us with days left to save the club.

Ridsdale delivered the stadium not Sam Hamman.

Yes he started a revival but at a massive cost to us as a club and if it wasnt for Ridsdale he would have finished us off like he did Wimbledon

Man city have always been well supported but they were struggling through the 80s and 90s yoyoing between lowered divisions and financially unstable and were known as a sleeping giant like Cardiff.

Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave
He loaned all the money he spent and made us pay it back at massive interest whilst trying us up in court cases for years after.

He bought us when we had £1.5 million debt and left us a few years later owing over £30million and the tax man chasing us with days left to save the club.

Yes he started a revival but at a massive cost to us as a club and if it wasnt for Ridsdale he would have finished us off like he did Wimbledon

Man city have always been well supported but they were struggling through the 80s and 90s yoyoing between lowered divisions and financially unstable and were known as a sleeping giant like Cardiff.

Thomas ,

The squad Sam left was worth more than the debt and outline planing for a new stadium and we were top of the Championship.

We were going No where end off and crowds were 3-4,000 and the club was dying , Ninian Park rundown and unsafe , no one moaned end off :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat May 23, 2020 5:33 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?
and then your final line is like Cardiff... no mate they hadn't spent the best part of 2 decades in the lower leagues they spent 1 year... and their average attendance had only dropped under 20k for 1 season since the war not like us dropping to 2k...
as for finishing Wimbledon off, he sold a Premier league club... how on earth is that finishing them off ..I know a few diluded Wimbledon fans have said that. but get real..they had been a non league club for their whole history.. go ask ANY non lge fan if 4 promotions an FA cup ..and 14 premier/top tier seasons would be regarded as finishing them off....
im glad he gave it a go...glad he believed in us..

Sat May 23, 2020 5:51 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?
and then your final line is like Cardiff... no mate they hadn't spent the best part of 2 decades in the lower leagues they spent 1 year... and their average attendance had only dropped under 20k for 1 season since the war not like us dropping to 2k...
as for finishing Wimbledon off, he sold a Premier league club... how on earth is that finishing them off ..I know a few diluded Wimbledon fans have said that. but get real..they had been a non league club for their whole history.. go ask ANY non lge fan if 4 promotions an FA cup ..and 14 premier/top tier seasons would be regarded as finishing them off....

So you would take us getting to the premier league for a few seasons

Winning the FA cup

Then not existing as a club again just for a bit of success ?

I doubt I would find any non league fans who would take that deal

Sam screwed Wimbledon by buying plough lane , removing the covenant and selling it for flats leaving them homeless. He sold a sinking ship to foreign owners before trying again with us.
He wanted to move Wimbledon to Ireland at one point, then came to us and wanted to call us the Cardiff celts playing in the millennium stadium where we would have been homeless aswell.

He hurt us more over twenty years than his small amount of on field success was worth. That's just a fact

Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 pm

100% correct! :notworthy:

Great days and probably the best in our time, Annis :ayatollah:

Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 pm

A few blurry pics from a great day...
IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?

Winning the FA cup

Sam screwed Wimbledon by buying plough lane , removing the covenant and selling it for flats leaving them homeless. He sold a sinking ship to foreign owners before trying again with us.
He wanted to move Wimbledon to Ireland at one point, then came to us and wanted to call us the Cardiff celts playing in the millennium stadium where we would have been homeless aswell.

He hurt us more over twenty years than his small amount of on field success was worth. That's just a fact

where have I said the not exist bit ? really mate you need to take the anti sam glasses off and at least read and check..
he sold a premier league club that did exist...its really not reasonable to then blame the old owner for whatever the new owner does...if you can you can start off with crediting sam with every positive thing VT has done....Sam had bought plough lane but they no longer played there and was never going to be a big enough area to build a decent ground... it was infact sold to Sainsbury.. the whole plough lane thing is a business man selling some land.. their reserves played there but anyone that ever visited the place and is even 1/10th honest will tell you it could never be developed into anything more than a non lge ground { which of course..it was }.. btw Wimbledon bought the lease for 100k and Sam bought it off the club for 3 million a year later...

Sat May 23, 2020 7:00 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?

Winning the FA cup

where have I said the not exist bit ? really mate you need to take the anti sam glasses off and at least read and check..
he sold a premier league club that did exist...its really not reasonable to then blame the old owner for whatever the new owner does...if you can you can start off with crediting sam with every positive thing VT has done....Sam had bought plough lane but they no longer played there and was never going to be a big enough area to build a decent ground... it was infact sold to Sainsbury.. the whole plough lane thing is a business man selling some land.. their reserves played there but anyone that ever visited the place and is even 1/10th honest will tell you it could never be developed into anything more than a non lge ground { which of course..it was }.. btw Wimbledon bought the lease for 100k and Sam bought it off the club for 3 million a year later...

That is exactly what happened though. He paid pennies for a non League club with a large ground. Somehow Took them to the premier league. Sold the ground for £8million then sold the club for £25million plus. Making an absolute fortune whilst condemning the club itself to the history books as with no ground they had no future.
Very shortly afterwards the club did not exist anymore . The only person who made out of it was Sam.

His introduction to Cardiff started a brief period of success but that was down to him loaning the club money at high interest rates coupled with a few really good youngsters coming through the youth team like Earnshaw.

He in no way should take any credit for the good financial and League position the club is in now that is all down to Vincent Tan and Peter ridsdale somehow working miracles to get us out of the shit Sam got us in financially

Sat May 23, 2020 7:57 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?

Winning the FA cup

That is exactly what happened though. He paid pennies for a non League club with a large ground. Somehow Took them to the premier league. Sold the ground for £8million then sold the club for £25million plus. Making an absolute fortune whilst condemning the club itself to the history books as with no ground they had no future.
Very shortly afterwards the club did not exist anymore . The only person who made out of it was Sam.

His introduction to Cardiff started a brief period of success but that was down to him loaning the club money at high interest rates coupled with a few really good youngsters coming through the youth team like Earnshaw.

He in no way should take any credit for the good financial and League position the club is in now that is all down to Vincent Tan and Peter ridsdale somehow working miracles to get us out of the shit Sam got us in financially

Always one, we are celebrating a great time in our past history :bluebird: :bluebird:

I for one am glad Sam came to our club for 7 yrs :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I was there for every game Cardiff ever played in the 4th Division for 9 yrs home and away , our support away had gone as low as 11 of us at one away game, 50 , 100 and sometimes 150 away . That for me sums it up.

11 away At Gillingham, 25 away at Hartlepool, 50 away at Preston, 100 away at Tranmere , 110 away at Rochdale etc

7 -9 visits away at these type of clubs Darlington, Stockport etc etc

Why did these so called fans not support us then but now have the cheek to moan :lol:

Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?

Winning the FA cup

a large ground ???????????????????...…..your obviously to young to have been there...it was small and probably in the worse condition of any ground ive been to
but yes its easy you pay pennies go to the prem and get millions...….sorry Thomas its not FIFA 20
your throwing answers without being reasonable or objective.

Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?

Winning the FA cup

Always one, we are celebrating a great time in our past history :bluebird: :bluebird:

I for one am glad Sam came to our club for 7 yrs :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I was there for every game Cardiff ever played in the 4th Division for 9 yrs home and away , our support away had gone as low as 11 of us at one away game, 50 , 100 and sometimes 150 away . That for me sums it up.

11 away At Gillingham, 25 away at Hartlepool, 50 away at Preston, 100 away at Tranmere , 110 away at Rochdale etc

Why did these so called fans not support us then but now have the cheek to moan :lol:

All I see from his ownership is on or two good seasons on the pitch followed by a decade of financial problems court cases and the tax man chasing us ending in Peter Ridsdale having to work magic to keep the club alive whilst others bailed.

£1.5 million debt when he bought the club , over £30million debt when he left 7 years later speaks volumes.

I'm sure I'm wrong though

Everyone entitled to a opinion though and I was there throughout the 90s aswell as the sam years.
This so called fan remembers it all well.

Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Behave

behave... ?

Winning the FA cup

a large ground ???????????????????...…..your obviously to young to have been there...it was small and probably in the worse condition of any ground ive been to
but yes its easy you pay pennies go to the prem and get millions...….sorry Thomas its not FIFA 20
your throwing answers without being reasonable or objective.

It had a capacity of 16,000 with possible expansion to 23000

Hardly small for a club of Wimbledon's size

Sat May 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Thomas

On this one it’s facts / not opinions :thumbright:

Two good seasons?

How many relegations?

How much was the squad worth when Sam left?

Sun May 24, 2020 12:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:Thomas

Two good seasons?

How many relegations?

I agree
what is never mentioned is what went wrong...

Sam behaved like a fan, not the buying ice creams/ walking around the pitch bit , but the not running it like a business bit... he believed like most of us at the time..4th tier promotion = 8/9 k possibly more...we got 7k...
challenging 3rd tier 12/13k which we got... 2nd tier 15k minimum. going for promotion 20k easy he believed we could achieve this.. I did.. most did and Sam was told this numerous times by lots of people...the reality was we averaged 11k one year. it actually took us a cup final and selling final tickets in a deal with STs to get our crowds back / new fans..
yes he borrowed .. I would say who wouldn't.. but having read how many want refunds off a club they profess to support to donate elsewhere it seems lots wouldn't.

Sun May 24, 2020 8:28 am

skidemin wrote:

Two good seasons?

How many relegations?

I agree

Sam behaved like a fan, not the buying ice creams/ walking around the pitch bit , but the not running it like a business bit... he believed like most of us at the time..4th tier promotion = 8/9 k possibly more...we got 7k...
challenging 3rd tier 12/13k which we got... 2nd tier 15k minimum. going for promotion 20k easy he believed we could achieve this.. I did.. most did and Sam was told this numerous times by lots of people...the reality was we averaged 11k one year. it actually took us a cup final and selling final tickets in a deal with STs to get our crowds back / new fans..
yes he borrowed .. I would say who wouldn't.. but having read how many want refunds off a club they profess to support to donate elsewhere it seems lots wouldn't.

Fair play there is a lot of truth you what you’ve posted :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun May 24, 2020 10:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Two good seasons?

How many relegations?

I agree

Fair play there is a lot of truth you what you’ve posted :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

he took too many gambles that didn't properly pay off as you might think they would..
Thomas mentioned sleeping giant, the term got used lots and by most of us...

Sun May 24, 2020 11:26 am

Sam was certainly the catalyst for everything that happened after, I would say, and some great times were had, no doubt about that. There were also some terrible times too, certainly towards the end of his tenure. If I remember rightly, the threat of being wound up by HMRC seemed to be a constant occurrence, and the day Graham Kavanagh had to be sold, to stop the bank calling in debts I believe, I remember being absolutely gutted.

Overall I'm glad Sam came to the club at the time he did. Who knows where we would be now if he hadn't. Probably still a lower league club with low attendances going nowhere, as I don't recall many billionaires wanting to invest at that time. The things that have happened since, FA and League Cup Finals, promotions to the Premiership, new stadium, big crowds etc would probably still be a pipedream.

However I'm also glad he is no longer at the club, because when he was here times were very different to what they are today. If you were to ask me if I had a choice today between who I would want as chairman now, Sam Hammam or Vincent Tan, sorry Sam absolutely no way would I want you here.

Sun May 24, 2020 11:36 am

llantrisantblue1927 wrote:Sam was certainly the catalyst for everything that happened after, I would say, and some great times were had, no doubt about that. There were also some terrible times too, certainly towards the end of his tenure. If I remember rightly, the threat of being wound up by HMRC seemed to be a constant occurrence, and the day Graham Kavanagh had to be sold, to stop the bank calling in debts I believe, I remember being absolutely gutted.

Overall I'm glad Sam came to the club at the time he did. Who knows where we would be now if he hadn't. Probably still a lower league club with low attendances going nowhere, as I don't recall many billionaires wanting to invest at that time. The things that have happened since, FA and League Cup Finals, promotions to the Premiership, new stadium, big crowds etc would probably still be a pipedream.

However I'm also glad he is no longer at the club, because when he was here times were very different to what they are today. If you were to ask me if I had a choice today between who I would want as chairman now, Sam Hammam or Vincent Tan, sorry Sam absolutely no way would I want you here.

that's it though....its not a choice and never has been....we had Sam , he was not chosen over VT and during those years Sam was here and for decades before and a few years after no billionaire came in to invest...had they and Sam had been lucky enough to get a sheik offering a small fortune for the club some peoples take on Sam would be completely different..

Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 am

I agree with you skidemin on your last comment. Overall I would say the positives from Sam's tenure outweighed the negatives. Did he leave the club in a better position when he left compared to when he came, I would say yes absolutely, others may disagree. Was he here at the right time I would say yes to that too. Did he leave at the right time for sure.

Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 pm

llantrisantblue1927 wrote:I agree with you skidemin on your last comment. Overall I would say the positives from Sam's tenure outweighed the negatives. Did he leave the club in a better position when he left compared to when he came, I would say yes absolutely, others may disagree. Was he here at the right time I would say yes to that too. Did he leave at the right time for sure.

my first relegation was in the 70s... from where we are now having only a few years earlier been challenging and having big crowds especially in cup games to the 3rd tier Bolton home { in think we needed to win by a few and someone else lose } broke my heart at the time. but got my head around it maybe being a good thing after a couple of poor seasons, re group and come up stronger.. ..we went up ok but stronger we were not , 6 bottom half finishes before going down again..
roll forward 25 years from that 1st relegation im in Gillingham watching us go down again.. to the 4th tier for the 4th time..a seemingly never ending nightmare
Sam coming here changed all that, and it gave people like me hope that I had all but lost of us ever being a real club again...
all this maybe someone else might have come in ? id waited 25 years and im only going to live for so long...
what annoys me is most of our current Sam haters were not there.. they just repeat half stories and the bit at the end...