Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jonny Hayes admits:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 am

HAYES HOPING FOR REGULAR MATCH TIME

01/06/20

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215101 :bluebird:

Jonny Hayes admits leaving Celtic will be difficult after being "heavily involved" in the team and having encouraging discussions about a new contract before the pandemic struck.

Celtic announced on Saturday that both Hayes and defender Jozo Simunovic would be leaving the club, who did not take up a one-year option on the Croatian defender's contract.

Hayes' three-year deal is coming to an end and he revealed a decision was taken on his future in the past week.

The 32-year-old told talkSPORT: "I spoke to (manager) Neil Lennon a couple of days before the Rangers game back in December. He was aware I was out of contract in six months and(said) he'd like me to stay.

Jonny Hayes:

"As the season went on we had similar conversations. He was quite keen for me to stay and saw me as part of his plans. I had the same conversations with (assistant manager) John Kennedy.

"When it comes down to the decision being made this week, I don't know if the financial impact the virus has had on Scottish football has contributed to it or not.

"But I wasn't being phased out, I was still playing regularly, in the team or off the bench, up until this virus struck.

"It's always hard to think about leaving a club when you're heavily involved in the team."

However, the Irishman did reflect that he might be better moving on. The versatile left sided player made 68 Celtic appearances, a total which would have been higher had he not broken his leg during his first season.

"Maybe if I stayed, I might not have got as much game time," he said. "I'm a little bit older now, it's probably better for me to go out and play a bit more regularly."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Jonny Hayes admits:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215101 :bluebird:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:52 am

I’m all for not pursuing players who seemed to have used us to engineer a move in the past.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I’m all for not pursuing players who seemed to have used us to engineer a move in the past.

Tend to agree on that point :thumbup: and also his age for a winger is a no for me,even on a free. :old: :bluebird:

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 am

Just till the end of the season with an option by city to have an extension for a season :thumbup:

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Igovernor wrote:Just till the end of the season with an option by city to have an extension for a season :thumbup:

That sounds a bit more like it though we do have NML, Hoilett, Adomah, Murphy & Whyte in that position atm.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:17 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Just till the end of the season with an option by city to have an extension for a season :thumbup:

That sounds a bit more like it though we do have NML, Hoilett, Adomah, Murphy & Whyte in that position atm.

Fair do's,I hadn't looked at it like that :thumbright: and was of the same train of thought,regarding who we have here already!who would lose out? :old: :bluebird: