Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What the f**k does this achieve?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:52 pm

:evil: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What the f**k does this achieve?

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote::evil: :cry:

scumbags

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 pm

That's a statue of Robert Lee, the slave owning confederate soldier.

Statues of Robert Lee have only a couple of years ago been used as a meeting place for KKK rallies as he's somewhat of a favourite amongst that type of people.

In terms of what this vandalism has achieved, it has renewed talk in government there about getting this statue removed and looks like it will now be getting removed from it's current location.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm

It's people using the killing by the policeman in America to riot ,and do what they want,then when the police try to stop them they cry wolf,and claim there being racist,

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:41 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:That's a statue of Robert Lee, the slave owning confederate soldier.

Statues of Robert Lee have only a couple of years ago been used as a meeting place for KKK rallies as he's somewhat of a favourite amongst that type of people.

In terms of what this vandalism has achieved, it has renewed talk in government there about getting this statue removed and looks like it will now be getting removed from it's current location.

Spot On .

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Robert E. Lee statue and other Confederate monuments to be removed from Richmond's Monument Avenue

RICHMOND, Va. – Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday for the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond’s prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

The Democratic governor will direct the statue to be moved off its massive pedestal and put into storage while his administration seeks input on a new location, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak before the governor’s announcement.

Many black activists and lawmakers have long called for the statue’s removal and cheered the news.

“That is symbol for so many people, black and otherwise of a time gone by of hate and oppression and being made to feel less than,” said Del. Jay Jones, a black lawmaker from Norfolk. He said he was “overcome” by emotion when he learned the statue was to come down.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:That's a statue of Robert Lee, the slave owning confederate soldier.

I don't think many knew who that statue was of in truth,but you are spot on,its been targeted for his link to slavery,it should be removed completely imho. :old: :bluebird:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:26 pm

You cannot rewrite history.

Its like changing the name of the Colston Hall in Bristol becuase Colston was connected to the slave trade. Yes, he was, and it was a perfectly legitimate occupation in that historical moment.

Robert E Lee was a General in the Confederate Army which fought the Civil War for two reasons. Yes to keep slavesd but also (and this why Texas was in the Confederacy) to allow any state that wished to to secede from the Union.

By all means protest against racism and predjudice in all its forms. Racism is abhorrent. But do not pretend that history didnt happen.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

I don't think many knew who that statue was of in truth,but you are spot on,its been targeted for his link to slavery,it should be removed completely imho. :old: :bluebird:

:thumbup:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 am

philrogers wrote:You cannot rewrite history.

Its like changing the name of the Colston Hall in Bristol becuase Colston was connected to the slave trade. Yes, he was, and it was a perfectly legitimate occupation in that historical moment.

Robert E Lee was a General in the Confederate Army which fought the Civil War for two reasons. Yes to keep slavesd but also (and this why Texas was in the Confederacy) to allow any state that wished to to secede from the Union.

By all means protest against racism and predjudice in all its forms. Racism is abhorrent. But do not pretend that history didnt happen.

I don't agree that a person who has any link to slavery should be allowed to have a statue in this day and age,and name changing is done every day in many fields, so changing the name of Colston Hall wouldn't cause upset at all imho,we are trying to get rid of racism in the world.as a black person walking past that memorial,it must provoke some kind of emotion? Just because he was a general,doesn't make it cool in this day and age,why not put it in a museum? Then those who wish to see it can,and those who do not wish to be reminded that this guy may well have owned their great grandfather/mother don't maybe have to walk past it in their daily life.as you say, part of his cause was to KEEP slaves/slavery,his military cause in my eyes is not as important,as the aforementioned. :old: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 am

It's not rewriting history to have a shrine to someone who killed thousands and attempted to keep thousands in chains removed. Statues are to celebrate someones story... that's not a story which needs celebrating

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:28 am

Nelson’s Column in London next then? If that is the road we are going down.

First of all, I’m not convinced the killing was racially motivated. I’m not sure why everyone has now automatically assumed so. The issue should be police brutality; which kills all races at an alarming rate every year in the US (most of which are white). I’m not saying it wasn’t racially motivated either though, but unless I have missed something, there isn’t any evidence of race being a factor is there?

If racism did not exist for example, does that mean no black people would ever be killed by police again and all victims at the hands of the police would then be white? Of course not. So applying racism to all police killings if the victim is black is crazy.

Is racism at play for “some” incidents of that nature? Yes, it would probably be safe to say so. But to automatically assume every time an African American gets killed then it must be racially motivated is a very dangerous game to play.

People may point to the % being larger than the population split in America (in terms of black/white police killings) but for me that is a socio-economic issue. Most crime dense areas are areas of poor wealth, most areas of poor wealth have a higher black demographic than the overall country wide split (which may validly be put down to the affect of generational historical racism, granted). So applying a split across America isn’t accurate. It would be more accurate to apportion a racial split of the type of areas these killings happen in (of both races) in order to make a comparison.

On this subject however, the officer in question should be jailed for 20+ years without question. Horrific abuse of power and someone that should clearly never, ever have had any position of power - especially with a clear record of past violence and brutality. Just sickening to watch someone value another persons life so sparingly, one that was also clearly posing no threat whatsoever.

Humans, when given power, are capable of horrendous things and history is littered with examples of this from the start of time. The police and army serving Nazi Germany in the 40’s were just people like you and I at one time, yet were more than capable of carrying out the shocking things the modern human race has seen when given extreme power and the right mental conditioning.

Police dominance and brutality has been going on for decades in America. Stopping racism won’t stop police killing people. Tackling police brutality may. They can then look at education to work on the racial problem they have in some quarters and improving the socio-economic state of the country.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 am

What I'm so angry about is the fact all those people at these do gooder protests have been out on the door step applauding the NHs, now they're all out in their thousands completely contradicting the whole point of the lockdown we've gone through, Hypocrites the fuckin lot of them!

The pic I have attached is Hyde Park,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:07 am

What America first did when they won the Iraq war was remove all statues of Saddam Hussien. He was a leader of a cruel regime. The same can be said of this General so why is this statue there?

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:40 am

Bakedalasker wrote:What America first did when they won the Iraq war was remove all statues of Saddam Hussien. He was a leader of a cruel regime. The same can be said of this General so why is this statue there?

A very good point indeed

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:06 am

BLUECHUGGY wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:What America first did when they won the Iraq war was remove all statues of Saddam Hussien. He was a leader of a cruel regime. The same can be said of this General so why is this statue there?

A very good point indeed

Absolutely, I find it very disappointing that some people on here can't even recognise how a statue of this guy could cause offence. I don't endorse the vandalism but I do understand why the protestors felt it necessary to make their point.

And actually, in terms of not re-writing history how many statues of Hitler are there in Germany ? I could go on all around the world with similar examples but not worth the effort as people already seem to have made up their minds on this topic.

The lack of empathy for black people exhibited by some people on this thread, and others, is so disappointing in this day and age.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:11 am

piledriver64 wrote:
BLUECHUGGY wrote:

A very good point indeed

Absolutely, I find it very disappointing that some people on here can't even recognise how a statue of this guy could cause offence. I don't endorse the vandalism but I do understand why the protestors felt it necessary to make their point.

And actually, in terms of not re-writing history how many statues of Hitler are there in Germany ? I could go on all around the world with similar examples but not worth the effort as people already seem to have made up their minds on this topic.

The lack of empathy for black people exhibited by some people on this thread, and others, is so disappointing in this day and age.

I agree with you mate. I’m pleased that something will eventually be done to ensure equality and an end to police brutality. However I think some of that empathy goes out of the window when pictures are shown of hundreds of black people taking the opportunity to loot and attack innocent people.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:14 am

LaBamba wrote:It's not rewriting history to have a shrine to someone who killed thousands and attempted to keep thousands in chains removed. Statues are to celebrate someones story... that's not a story which needs celebrating

Why stop there... remove the pyramids and colosseum, melt down Tutankhamun and destroy all the statues of the Emperors.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:19 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
BLUECHUGGY wrote:

A very good point indeed

I agree with you mate. I’m pleased that something will eventually be done to ensure equality and an end to police brutality. However I think some of that empathy goes out of the window when pictures are shown of hundreds of black people taking the opportunity to loot and attack innocent people.

Yep, no way looting and attacks on innocents can be defended and actually weakens the movement. However, that does seem to be dying down and the leaders of the demonstrations have been very vocal in trying to stop it.

Let's hope that doesn't deflect from the real argument.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:22 am

piledriver64 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
BLUECHUGGY wrote:

A very good point indeed

Yep, no way looting and attacks on innocents can be defended and actually weakens the movement. However, that does seem to be dying down and the leaders of the demonstrations have been very vocal in trying to stop it.

Yes mate tbf it does seem to have stopped. I agree with all of this. :thumbup:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I agree with you mate. I’m pleased that something will eventually be done to ensure equality and an end to police brutality. However I think some of that empathy goes out of the window when pictures are shown of hundreds of black people taking the opportunity to loot and attack innocent people.

I just think this whole saga has been hijacked by race when I still don’t know how it qualifies as a race problem. It’s a police brutality problem, a problem that has taken the lives of all races.

This was a chance for ALL people to stand up for ALL victims of this. But yet again identity politics and social justice takes over and the focus is now completely off the topic that needs to be fought and it becomes a white vs black issue yet again.

What happened to George Floyd is sickening beyond belief and was a chance for real change. Just concerned all that is going out the window by the day, we don’t want his death to be for nothing. Change needs to happen and the focus on the police and their lack of de-escalation skills as well as harsh punishments for any police that break or bend the law in order to get some power buzz at the expense of others.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:11 am

YDdraigGwyn wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I agree with you mate. I’m pleased that something will eventually be done to ensure equality and an end to police brutality. However I think some of that empathy goes out of the window when pictures are shown of hundreds of black people taking the opportunity to loot and attack innocent people.

I just think this whole saga has been hijacked by race when I still don’t know how it qualifies as a race problem. It’s a police brutality problem, a problem that has taken the lives of all races.

This was a chance for ALL people to stand up for ALL victims of this. But yet again identity politics and social justice takes over and the focus is now completely off the topic that needs to be fought and it becomes a white vs black issue yet again.

What happened to George Floyd is sickening beyond belief and was a chance for real change. Just concerned all that is going out the window by the day, we don’t want his death to be for nothing. Change needs to happen and the focus on the police and their lack of de-escalation skills as well as harsh punishments for any police that break or bend the law in order to get some power buzz at the expense of others.

To a point you are, of course, right about general police brutality.

However, just look at the disproportionality of the numbers of black people dying in police custody to understand why the main problem has to be racism against the black community. There is a problem there that needs sorting.

Important that I make the distinction between those in police custody and those shot as a result of gun/gang crime, that's a whole different conversation !

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:16 am

piledriver64 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
BLUECHUGGY wrote:

A very good point indeed

and what is the real argument.... what that cop did was vile, all four got sacked and charged very quickly .
2 of the 4 police were not white. so this was not purely white on black..
and personally I have sympathy for the man that died and zero empathy with the looters..

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:19 am

Great point. Also why is there a statue to honour someone who LOST a war?

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 am

piledriver64 wrote:
YDdraigGwyn wrote:

However, just look at the disproportionality of the numbers of black people dying in police custody to understand why the main problem has to be racism against the black community. There is a problem there that needs sorting.

Important that I make the distinction between those in police custody and those shot as a result of gun/gang crime, that's a whole different conversation !

I had a look yesterday on some stats and it seemed a similar proportion to me of all races that get killed by police in proportion to that races contribution to the countries crime rate. But this didn’t really specify “in police custody” as such, it was just killings by police. It was something like 35% of violent crimes committed by black people and they made up 33% of the police killings - something to that affect.

I just think it’s bizarre the world has now seemingly taken this as a racially motivated murder. You can’t judge the motivation of a crime based on the victims skin colour. It looks like a power issue to me, the crowd telling him to back off, him refusing and feeling if he did he would be backing down. Scary that someone would commit such an act in order not to lose face. Power is such a potent thing, it’s like a drug.

I honestly find the way it’s being protested quite divisive. Saying “this is a black problem” and “you don’t understand unless you are us” and I think Michelle Obama has actually said something along the lines of “why is this only a problem that African American families have to face?”. It’s so disrespectful to the victims and victims family of the vast majority of these cases.

About 1000 people get killed by police every year. About 700 of which are white. Had my son been killed by the police and I was being told “It’s a black problem and I don’t know what it’s like” - I would be furious.

Why everyone can’t fight for everyone I will never know.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:30 am

the Sadam statue was pulled down by the forces of an invading army... the Robert E lee statue was put up 50 plus years after his death.... so its not quite the same thing..

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:58 am

rumpo kid wrote:
LaBamba wrote:It's not rewriting history to have a shrine to someone who killed thousands and attempted to keep thousands in chains removed. Statues are to celebrate someones story... that's not a story which needs celebrating

Why stop there... remove the pyramids and colosseum, melt down Tutankhamun and destroy all the statues of the Emperors.

None of the SJWs have responded to this because in there universe everything that’s wrong with the World is the white mans fault and inter tribal slavery never existed in Africa.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 am

YDdraigGwyn wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
YDdraigGwyn wrote:

I had a look yesterday on some stats and it seemed a similar proportion to me of all races that get killed by police in proportion to that races contribution to the countries crime rate. But this didn’t really specify “in police custody” as such, it was just killings by police. It was something like 35% of violent crimes committed by black people and they made up 33% of the police killings - something to that affect.

I just think it’s bizarre the world has now seemingly taken this as a racially motivated murder. You can’t judge the motivation of a crime based on the victims skin colour. It looks like a power issue to me, the crowd telling him to back off, him refusing and feeling if he did he would be backing down. Scary that someone would commit such an act in order not to lose face. Power is such a potent thing, it’s like a drug.

I honestly find the way it’s being protested quite divisive. Saying “this is a black problem” and “you don’t understand unless you are us” and I think Michelle Obama has actually said something along the lines of “why is this only a problem that African American families have to face?”. It’s so disrespectful to the victims and victims family of the vast majority of these cases.

About 1000 people get killed by police every year. About 700 of which are white. Had my son been killed by the police and I was being told “It’s a black problem and I don’t know what it’s like” - I would be furious.

Why everyone can’t fight for everyone I will never know.

Great post, the driving of identity politics by the media, the entertainment industry and particularly academia is the problem, they view everything through a prism of race. It’s absurd and actually causes division.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:18 am

Jock wrote:None of the SJWs have responded to this because in there universe everything that’s wrong with the World is the white mans fault and inter tribal slavery never existed in Africa.

I was listening to the radio the other day and some spokesman who represents some diversity organisation made an incredible statement that inter tribal slavery had never happened in Africa. :o

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:20 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Jock wrote:None of the SJWs have responded to this because in there universe everything that’s wrong with the World is the white mans fault and inter tribal slavery never existed in Africa.

I was listening to the radio the other day and some spokesman who represents some diversity organisation made an incredible statement that inter tribal slavery had never happened in Africa. :o

What??!?! Was he serious?!?! :o :o :o