Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best place to live abroad?

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:28 pm

During the lockdown, I’ve found myself looking at properties abroad as a future retirement option, ideally with low - reasonable living costs and favourable all year round weather. This could be achieved by selling my house and buying a cheap valleys based property as well as a cheap property abroad, or completely selling up in the UK and buying a nicer property abroad.

Has anyone got any experience in this (I’m aware Annis lives in Spain) or had similar thoughts?

Where would you say is the best option abroad for living costs and weather? What would be the minimum monthly income for two people to live in that country mortgage free (no rent involved)?

Are there any known Brexit implications as yet?

Can my wife and I still use the NHS if I own a UK based house and spend a certain time period in the UK? Would this mean paying council tax on the UK based property as well as possibly abroad?

Any other considerations?

Naturally I would conduct more research, but thought this would be a good start state, especially as there’s no football to talk about.

Re: Best place to live abroad?

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Think you need to decide which countries you are looking at If you keep a house in uk you will pay the usual council taxes As a Uk passport holder you will have the right to NHS treatment if required However health care agreements with other countries will differ and likely to change post Brexit
One thing that catches a lot of people out is the exchange rate and that could change your income drastically positive or negative For instance you get over 25% less euros that
you did to the pound 10 years ago

The cost of living depends on the country you choose and the area within those countries You can live reasonable comfortable in Spain on £500 a week for two without any mortgage in most parts Similar in Portugal , Malta ,Greece

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Why would you want to keep a house in the UK if you're living elsewhere ? Are you just looking at Europe or worldwide ? There's always places like Thailand if you're looking for value for money & cost of living.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Abergavenny wrote:Think you need to decide which countries you are looking at If you keep a house in uk you will pay the usual council taxes As a Uk passport holder you will have the right to NHS treatment if required However health care agreements with other countries will differ and likely to change post Brexit
One thing that catches a lot of people out is the exchange rate and that could change your income drastically positive or negative For instance you get over 25% less euros that

The cost of living depends on the country you choose and the area within those countries You can live reasonable comfortable in Spain on £500 a week for two without any mortgage in most parts Similar in Portugal , Malta ,Greece

I didn’t realise that I’d still be entitled to NHS as a UK passport holder if I don’t live in the UK. My wife is an American citizen, with an indefinite right to remain in the UK visa, so I’d have to look into that. There’s always medical insurance I suppose.

Country-wise, Cyprus would be the dream move having spent 4 great years there. However, I’m hoping to move and live off my work pension which I get aged 43. I’d have to live off that - with employment being a bonus as never guaranteed - until state pension kicks in later on in life. Cost of living would rule out Cyprus.

I’ve always loved Spain, so that is probably the favoured one at the moment for cost, weather and geographical reasons. I’ve read that Thailand is quite cheap, but was putting it out there to see if any other options are viable from people’s own experiences.

Thank you for the information. :thumbup:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:28 pm

As you're wife is American have you thought of Florida ? With the exception of the odd hurricane it meets your criteria, get dual citizenship or just a green card and you're good to come & go, I've had my green card for 14 years now. The language is a bit of a barrier to start but you've had plenty of practice.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Why would you want to keep a house in the UK if you're living elsewhere ? Are you just looking at Europe or worldwide ? There's always places like Thailand if you're looking for value for money & cost of living.

I was merely thinking it would allow me to still use the NHS as an emergency. Financially, I would prefer not to have a house here as I can buy a better house abroad. I take it there’s nothing to be gained by doing so then?

Europe would be my preference, but Thailand is a great shout for cost of living and definitely on my list of options to explore further. The houses there are surreal for the price you pay. My missus lived in Florida growing up and says that would be on her list of places to live.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:35 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:As you're wife is American have you thought of Florida ? With the exception of the odd hurricane it meets your criteria, get dual citizenship or just a green card and you're good to come & go, I've had my green card for 14 years now. The language is a bit of a barrier to start but you've had plenty of practice.

:lol: She”s just starting to understand my valleys accent.

I’ll look into the cost of living per month in Florida as it would need to be less than my pension. Thanks, you’ve given me another good option to explore. :thumbup:

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I’m no expert but can see a lot of pitfalls in buying property abroad. I personally just wouldn’t be happy making a huge commitment, but I can see why people would be tempted

Have you thought of renting?? I have a friend who took early retirement at 55 and has a decent pension. What he did was sell his house and downsize to something smaller and cheaper to run

Every year in October he and his wife drives down to the Algarve and spends 6 months there (he flys home for Xmas/New Year leaving the car in Portugal)

He rents a villa in Algarve for 6 months and lives in his own house spring/summer

It seems to work for him with no major commitment. He uses his own car abroad which is a lot cheaper than hiring one and has some kind of long term travel insurance policy which I believe is reasonably priced

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Can see it now.. house boat on the keys, nice set of daps and a cravat..

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:33 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I’m no expert but can see a lot of pitfalls in buying property abroad. I personally just wouldn’t be happy making a huge commitment, but I can see why people would be tempted

Have you thought of renting?? I have a friend who took early retirement at 55 and has a decent pension. What he did was sell his house and downsize to something smaller and cheaper to run

Every year in October he and his wife drives down to the Algarve and spends 6 months there (he flys home for Xmas/New Year leaving the car in Portugal)

He rents a villa in Algarve for 6 months and lives in his own house spring/summer

It seems to work for him with no major commitment. He uses his own car abroad which is a lot cheaper than hiring one and has some kind of long term travel insurance policy which I believe is reasonably priced

You’re right. This would lessen the commitment and also allow me to see more of the world. I suppose it would depend on the cost of renting as once the money freed up from selling my house is gone, I’d have no way of replacing it from my pension. I still haven’t been to Portugal, but the Algarve looks amazing.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:34 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Can see it now.. house boat on the keys, nice set of daps and a cravat..

:lol: I’ll take it as long as it involves early retirement.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Algarve will tick alot of boxes cheap flights and very low cost of living.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:13 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I’m no expert but can see a lot of pitfalls in buying property abroad. I personally just wouldn’t be happy making a huge commitment, but I can see why people would be tempted

You’re right. This would lessen the commitment and also allow me to see more of the world. I suppose it would depend on the cost of renting as once the money freed up from selling my house is gone, I’d have no way of replacing it from my pension. I still haven’t been to Portugal, but the Algarve looks amazing.

Long term rental is extremely cheap over the winter months in the Algarve, think he pays about £3000 for 6 months and that includes all gas and electric. Cost of living is cheaper over there as well. Aldi and Lidl shops in most towns, good markets for fresh veg and beer cheaper than over here. Petrol about the same and decent temperature and sunshine.

Everybody speaks English which comes in handy if you get any problems while your over there

Like someone has already said ticks a lot of boxes the Algarve

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:03 am

I hadn’t considered the Algarve, but it looks stunning. I’d get a nicer house in Thailand, but the Algarve could very well be more suited to my lifestyle and is nearer to UK for family visits. It’s definitely where I’ll be booking my next holiday as I’ve been been meaning to go for years.

Thanks for all the different ideas.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:I hadn’t considered the Algarve, but it looks stunning. I’d get a nicer house in Thailand, but the Algarve could very well be more suited to my lifestyle and is nearer to UK for family visits. It’s definitely where I’ll be booking my next holiday as I’ve been been meaning to go for years.

Thailand is a fantastic place to visit, incredibly cheap and property prices are really low away from the main resorts.
Property ownership is difficult as farang, foreigners are not allowed to own the property outright so you would need legal redress about how to do this.
Probably better to rent.
You also need a guaranteed minimum amount of income before you are allowed a long stay visa.
Incredible people and love travelling there.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am

You mention you get your company pension at 43 How do you get it that early 55 is the earliest the UK allows someone to take a pensions Unless terminally ill or in some very special circumstance

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:I hadn’t considered the Algarve, but it looks stunning. I’d get a nicer house in Thailand, but the Algarve could very well be more suited to my lifestyle and is nearer to UK for family visits. It’s definitely where I’ll be booking my next holiday as I’ve been been meaning to go for years.

You’re not allowed to buy a house in Thailand mate. I’ve been many times.

Unless of course you ditch the Mrs and remarry a 21yr old Thai bird.

I’ve also been to Portugal about 40 times. Love it it there, fantastic country but the winters can be cold at times with a fair bit of rain.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:11 am

I’ve had a place in NORTH Cyprus for the past 12 years. Living costs are dirt cheap compared to rest of Europe. £12 a month council tax,£10 a month electricity,the most expensive yearly cost is my £500 pool maintenance.
I have a 4 bedroom villa with my own pool cost me 95 grand ( down the South of Cyprus it would cost approx 300 grand).

There are approx 30 thousand ex pats who live in North Cyprus. I get 17% interest on my savings in the bank ( who have the same guarantee as UK banks)
A pint of local beer EFES is 8 or 9 Turkish Lira and I’m currently getting about 8 lira to the pound.

Me and Mrs actually go out most nights cos it’s so cheap. 3 course meal approx £8.

We tend to fly from Bristol with EasyJet to Larnaca and then get a North taxi to pick us up for £25 ( hours drive).

North Cyprus isn’t recognised by any Country apart from Turkey so if we fly into the North we have to travel via Istanbul.

This is definitely the cheapest place to the UK

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 am

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I’ve had a place in NORTH Cyprus for the past 12 years. Living costs are dirt cheap compared to rest of Europe. £12 a month council tax,£10 a month electricity,the most expensive yearly cost is my £500 pool maintenance.
I have a 4 bedroom villa with my own pool cost me 95 grand ( down the South of Cyprus it would cost approx 300 grand).

There are approx 30 thousand ex pats who live in North Cyprus. I get 17% interest on my savings in the bank ( who have the same guarantee as UK banks)
A pint of local beer EFES is 8 or 9 Turkish Lira and I’m currently getting about 8 lira to the pound.

Me and Mrs actually go out most nights cos it’s so cheap. 3 course meal approx £8.

We tend to fly from Bristol with EasyJet to Larnaca and then get a North taxi to pick us up for £25 ( hours drive).

North Cyprus isn’t recognised by any Country apart from Turkey so if we fly into the North we have to travel via Istanbul.

Turkish banks don’t have the same guarantees as UK banks Their cover is 150,000 Turkish ira which is about £18k UK accounts protect at least £80k It has always been recommend to ex pats in Turkey to spread their money into several accounts to get better protection
Interest rate amazing but that must say something about the debt and inflation on the Turkish economy As the Turkish said to me Same island same sun half the price
I do prefer the south thou

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:59 am

If you prefer the South then that’s your choice each to their own. As you say same Island,same sun, three times ( or more) the price. Nothing wrong with either in my opinion I’ve holidayed down the South myself loads of times.

With regards to the banks I don’t keep savings of anywhere near 18k ( I wish) I’m quite happy taking my 17% interest on what I do have though. In the 12 years 17% is the least I’ve ever got. When I first opened an account I was getting 28%!!!

North Cyprus is definitely the cheapest ( best value for money) closest place to the UK by far but I get it’s not to everyone’s taste same as a lot of places.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I’ve had a place in NORTH Cyprus for the past 12 years. Living costs are dirt cheap compared to rest of Europe. £12 a month council tax,£10 a month electricity,the most expensive yearly cost is my £500 pool maintenance.

Hadn’t thought about this, despite living in the south for 4 years, as my knowledge of the north isn’t the best. I do remember needing an additional car insurance that was much cheaper in the local village as opposed to buying it on the border.

We did have two separate incidents over the north where guys tried to over charge us, but you get good and bad everywhere. The way of life was very laid back which is good and it also provides the option of easily visiting the south. Something to look into. Thanks!

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:

Hadn’t thought about this, despite living in the south for 4 years, as my knowledge of the north isn’t the best. I do remember needing an additional car insurance that was much cheaper in the local village as opposed to buying it on the border.

We did have two separate incidents over the north where guys tried to over charge us, but you get good and bad everywhere. The way of life was very laid back and it also provides the option of easily visiting the south. Something to look into. Thanks!

Is a UK bank account an option?

Also, what’s the food costs over there?

Food in the south that was really expensive, as well as the electricity (which I’m led to believe is the most expensive in Europe by my friends in the south), so good to see the cheap north price for electricity.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:Think you need to decide which countries you are looking at If you keep a house in uk you will pay the usual council taxes As a Uk passport holder you will have the right to NHS treatment if required However health care agreements with other countries will differ and likely to change post Brexit

I didn’t realise that I’d still be entitled to NHS as a UK passport holder if I don’t live in the UK. My wife is an American citizen, with an indefinite right to remain in the UK visa, so I’d have to look into that. There’s always medical insurance I suppose.

Country-wise, Cyprus would be the dream move having spent 4 great years there. However, I’m hoping to move and live off my work pension which I get aged 43. I’d have to live off that - with employment being a bonus as never guaranteed - until state pension kicks in later on in life. Cost of living would rule out Cyprus.

I’ve always loved Spain, so that is probably the favoured one at the moment for cost, weather and geographical reasons. I’ve read that Thailand is quite cheap, but was putting it out there to see if any other options are viable from people’s own experiences.

Good luck, what works pension pays out at 43?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:36 am

Bluebina wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

Thank you.

Military. I should have had an immediate pension aged 42 upon completion of a 22-year career, but I’ve extended a year which I’m really grateful about given the current climate. :thumbup:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:20 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

Thank you.

Military. I should have had an immediate pension aged 42 upon completion of a 22-year career, but I’ve extended a year which I’m really grateful about given the current climate. :thumbup:

Oh yes of course!

Having read through the thread, North Cyprus seems like a good option, certainly sounds cheaper than most countries, especially with the house price? Good luck anyway keep us informed of your choice!

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 am

Bluebina wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

Thank you.

Oh yes of course!

Having read through the thread, North Cyprus seems like a good option, certainly sounds cheaper than most countries, especially with the house price? Good luck anyway keep us informed of your choice!

Look on BBC iplayer player Mediterranean with Simon Reeve, episode two he's in North Greece, I remember watching it :thumbup:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:01 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

We did have two separate incidents over the north where guys tried to over charge us, but you get good and bad everywhere. The way of life was very laid back and it also provides the option of easily visiting the south. Something to look into. Thanks!

Is a UK bank account an option?

Also, what’s the food costs over there?

Food in the south that was really expensive, as well as the electricity (which I’m led to believe is the most expensive in Europe by my friends in the south), so good to see the cheap north price for electricity.

Food costs are dirt cheap compared to rest of Europe. That includes supermarkets and restaurants.
The North has its own ( old) power station but Turkey have recently run a cable under the sea to provide even cheaper electricity and a giant water pipe to provide more water.
They drive on the left and all street signs are in English.

We love the laid back nature of the Turkish Cypriots. The North isn’t that well known but still has 30 thousand ex pats who live there.
The main seaside/tourist resort is Kyrenia which is gorgeous. We live in a village called Catalkoy which is ten mins from Kyrenia but the whole main road between the two is full with bars/shops/restaurants etc.
There are many 5 star hotels and even some 6 star ones who all do cracking daily deals....for example all you can eat and drink from 7-10pm for £15 including local alcohol. Not sure where else you can get these type of deals in such high class hotels.

A lot of the big hotels are very much like Las Vegas hotels with huge water parks and casinos. A lot of Turks fly over to visit the casinos at weekends.

Currently you can pick up some apartments in places like Esentepe ( a further 20 mins drive from Kyrenia) for around £30 grand.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:10 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

Thank you.

You've gone for an EDP have you? How does that work for you? I'm under AFP75 myself so it's 60 for me. A pal of mine retired two years ago as a Colonel and is pulling in around 40k a year.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:42 pm

New Zealand - atm ;)

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:49 pm

I'd avoid Minneapolis