Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wales Government Powers

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Maybe some of my more learned friends on here can educate me on the Welsh Governments powers ?

Police issues on the spot fines or arrest you under breaking of the 2018 (or whatever) xxxxx act.

What act gives Drakeford the right to impose or retract restrictions or thinking about it even Boris in a press conference.

I remember parliament debating the Coronavirus act 2020, how does that trickle down to Drakeford being the singular authority over 3 million people.

So many on here bored me silly over Cummings drive with did he break or not break the law. If he did (and i don't care) he wouldn't have 6 weeks later. How the hell do you legislate that. How is half of this stuff legal ?

I guess the question I am asking is how are Drakefords rulings legal ?

Re: Wales Government Powers

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Must presume that the things he as power over are devolved to WG or there is something
in the corvid 2020 act that gives him the power so he makes the decisions after consulting advisers WG have same system just like England! Not that he can make decisions without waiting 2wks or more to make them?

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:29 pm

The National Assembly for Wales has the power to make laws on the following areas:

Agriculture, fisheries, forestry and rural development
Ancient monuments and historic buildings
Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Fire and rescue services and promotion of fire safety
Food
Health and health services
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
National Assembly for Wales
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Town and country planning
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Coronavirus: Welsh ministers to be given 'draconian' powers - 19 March 2020.

New emergency legislation is to give the Welsh Government "draconian" powers to isolate and detain individuals.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said the law will give ministers powers not normally seen in peacetime.

It will allow senior politicians to prohibit mass gatherings, and close premises where they are happening.

Meanwhile the first minister defended the decision to test the health minister, Vaughan Gething.

Mr Gething is back at work after a period of self-isolation, after receiving a negative test.

The new legislation provides sweeping measures, for up to two years, to help UK authorities tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

It is a UK government bill, but has been produced in co-operation with the administrations in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

To be introduced to Parliament on Thursday, the law is expected to come into force by the end of the month.

Ministers in Wales will be able to:

take or keep people in quarantine, or direct a person to attend a designated place
restrict or prohibit mass gatherings
close premises
Mr Drakeford told a press conference: “The bill responds to the unprecedented difficulties that we face and is based on the need to reduce the rise in coronavirus on the one hand, and to free up public services... so they can be doing more at the front line.

“These are powers to be used if we reach a point where such draconian interventions in the lives of individuals are necessary."

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:44 pm

When not detain the protesters last weekend and fine as appropriate?

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Maybe some of my more learned friends on here can educate me on the Welsh Governments powers ?

Police issues on the spot fines or arrest you under breaking of the 2018 (or whatever) xxxxx act.

What act gives Drakeford the right to impose or retract restrictions or thinking about it even Boris in a press conference.

I remember parliament debating the Coronavirus act 2020, how does that trickle down to Drakeford being the singular authority over 3 million people.

So many on here bored me silly over Cummings drive with did he break or not break the law. If he did (and i don't care) he wouldn't have 6 weeks later. How the hell do you legislate that. How is half of this stuff legal ?

no idea mate.. but having adhered to the rules so far im now at a point where im going to adhere to UK law and take my chances in court if need be..

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:31 pm

skidemin wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Maybe some of my more learned friends on here can educate me on the Welsh Governments powers ?

no idea mate.. but having adhered to the rules so far im now at a point where im going to adhere to UK law and take my chances in court if need be..

There is no uk law in matters of health...just English, Welsh, Scottish and N.Irish. If you live in Wales you would be wilfully breaking Welsh law and could be putting the lives of vulnerable people at risk. So many good citizens making so many sacrifices by sticking to the rules, but you seem to think you are above them!! Nice.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:08 pm

moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:

There is no uk law in matters of health...just English, Welsh, Scottish and N.Irish. If you live in Wales you would be wilfully breaking Welsh law and could be putting the lives of vulnerable people at risk. So many good citizens making so many sacrifices by sticking to the rules, but you seem to think you are above them!! Nice.

he thinks he is above UK law and is not...

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:The National Assembly for Wales has the power to make laws on the following areas:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

Too much, in other words, I wouldn't trust him to decide what colour bin to put out on a Thursday night!

We need to stop this mickey mouse parliament they are a total joke!!!

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:13 pm

skidemin wrote:

Along with the rest of Wales!!!

Driving 5.1 miles in a car is not dangerous, protesting in Bute park with thousands of scruffy feckers and not keeping a sensible distance is!

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Along with the rest of Wales!!!

Driving 5.1 miles in a car is not dangerous, protesting in Bute park with thousands of scruffy feckers and not keeping a sensible distance is!

:thumbup: if protesting with BLM is ok so is protesting stupidity by our first minister...

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:07 pm

An unnecessary level of government. Shut it down. Third rate wannabees in a second rate parliament.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:48 pm

moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:

So did the countless thousands protesting past week.. they didn't care about nhs or putting lives at risk did they? :shock:

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:

So did the countless thousands protesting past week.. they didn't care about nhs or putting lives at risk did they? :shock:

Another march today in Newport .

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Cheers :thumbup:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Cheers :thumbup:

think its safe to say all bets are off regarding social distancing , public gatherings and 5 mile radius after this week...

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:49 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:The National Assembly for Wales has the power to make laws on the following areas:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

You forgot to mention he/it has the power to raise income taxes

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Also their own pay rises

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I wasn't commenting on those. Clearly if they travelled more than 5 miles in Wales they were breaking Welsh law.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

Too much, in other words, I wouldn't trust him to decide what colour bin to put out on a Thursday night!

There was no substance or evidence in your comment...just your opinion. The re-infection rate is significantly lower in Wales than in England despite the fact that all the indicators regarding Wales having an older, poorer and sicker population should lead to Wales being hit hardest by coronavirus. The Welsh Government is taking the pandemic seriously despite those on here openly admitting to breaking the rules. Your comments are infantile at best.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:An unnecessary level of government. Shut it down. Third rate wannabees in a second rate parliament.

Just your opinion. It seems the people of Wales have more faith in the Welsh government according to recent polls than they do in Boris and his fellow clowns who made the announcement on opening schools before doing the planning, rather than the other way around. Such a basic error to make. End result...they had to do a U-turn. :oops:

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:22 pm

moonboots wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

There was no substance or evidence in your comment...just your opinion. The re-infection rate is significantly lower in Wales than in England despite the fact that all the indicators regarding Wales having an older, poorer and sicker population should lead to Wales being hit hardest by coronavirus. The Welsh Government is taking the pandemic seriously despite those on here openly admitting to breaking the rules. Your comments are infantile at best.

some people are taking a common sense approach … just following orders doesn't cut it when your dictator doesn't care who he kills … all lives matter not just covid ones

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm

skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

some people are taking a common sense approach … just following orders doesn't cut it when your dictator doesn't care who he kills … all lives matter not just covid ones

You'll need to explain that in a bit more detail. Not sure you're on the right thread.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:39 pm

moonboots wrote:
Foghorn65 wrote:An unnecessary level of government. Shut it down. Third rate wannabees in a second rate parliament.

Just your opinion. It seems the people of Wales have more faith in the Welsh government according to recent polls than they do in Boris and his fellow clowns who made the announcement on opening schools before doing the planning, rather than the other way around. Such a basic error to make. End result...they had to do a U-turn. :oops:

You know that polls depend on question asked or who they poll? Recent poll shows tide turnin against drakefords stance.. considering how many people on furlough would expect more to be in favour of keeping lockdown! "You wouldn't go to work if paid to say home would you" when would you say its safe to go outside or be able to meet others open shops like rest UK are doing? Because nothing as changed in many weeks yet rest uk can relax but we can't! By time he decides ok to go outside properly deaths from other things like cancer ect will be far worse than corvid because of delay in relaxing lockdown so experts say..... every organisation say need to open up tourism sector drakeford respons to it was will do it in my own time .... so doesnt matter how many jobs will go as long as hes happy so could be 2021 according to him..

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:58 pm

moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

You'll need to explain that in a bit more detail. Not sure you're on the right thread.

someone needs to explain it to those in charge too by the looks of things.... people are dying and will die through HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of missed treatments, appointments and therefore diagnosis across Wales ..suicides are through the roof as are all types of abuse , loneliness and depression which will all effect the national health and contribute going forward to more suicide.... but your ok jack so its blindfold on time...….. all lives matter not just covid lives..

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 pm

skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

someone needs to explain it to those in charge too by the looks of things.... people are dying and will die through HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of missed treatments, appointments and therefore diagnosis across Wales ..suicides are through the roof as are all types of abuse , loneliness and depression which will all effect the national health and contribute going forward to more suicide.... but your ok jack so its blindfold on time...….. all lives matter not just covid lives..

Waiting lists have doubled orthopedic treatment is god knows how long now as it was the longest before lockdown my sister is house bound until they rearrange her op it was cancelled a week before due... these deaths will be happening long after corvid as gone away

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:14 am

pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

Waiting lists have doubled orthopedic treatment is god knows how long now as it was the longest before lockdown my sister is house bound until they rearrange her op it was cancelled a week before due... these deaths will be happening long after corvid as gone away

people seem to be absolutely obsessed with covid to a point where it doesn't seem to matter if they die or how many die providing they can avoid a covid death.... unfortunately our first minister is one of them, maybe its his age ?

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 am

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Culture
Economic development
Education and training
Environment
Food
Highways and transport
Housing
Local government
Public administration
Social welfare
Sport and recreation
Tourism
Water and flood defence
Welsh language

people seem to be absolutely obsessed with covid to a point where it doesn't seem to matter if they die or how many die providing they can avoid a covid death.... unfortunately our first minister is one of them, maybe its his age ?

They are obsessed drakeford as got blinkers on to such an extent he cannot see what's happening around him! As for advisors where on earth as he got them from? Rest uk slowly easing lockdown but we still stalled for weeks now even though deaths and infections are low, in fact some low the R measure he swears by is ineffective and inaccurate and thats from experts! Boris is going to change way corvid is measured because of this soon...

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Also their own pay rises

;)