A forum for all things Cardiff City

Shock as Leon Britton quits Swansea City

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am

Club legend Leon Britton quits Swansea City in shock announcement

The 37-year-old has stepped down from his position as sporting director

By Mathew Davies

Saturday 13th June 2020

Leon Britton has left his role at Swansea City

Swansea City legend Leon Britton has stepped down from his role as sporting director.

The 37-year-old has played a major part in the club's direction over the past 18 months, having been appointed by chairman Trevor Birch as an advisor to the board on footballing matters.

Alongside Alan Curtis and Birch, Britton played a key role in the appointment of head coach Steve Cooper following Graham Potter's decision to join Brighton last summer.

Britton enjoyed a stellar 16-year playing career at Swansea too, helping them avoid relegation from the Football League in 2003 and playing a major part in their rise to the Premier League.

The midfielder revealed that he wanted to spend more time with his family after a long career in football.

“I’m obviously disappointed to leave,’’ Britton told the club website. “But the time is right for me to take a break, spend some quality time with my family and enjoy the freedom and flexibility of a ‘normal’ life.

“From the time I joined Chelsea as an eight-year-old, moved to Arsenal at nine and became a full-time apprentice with West Ham at 16, football has dominated my life.

“I was always going to take some time out when I finished playing, but Trevor (Birch) asked me to help him in his restructure of the football side of the club when he arrived; a task that escalated following the departure of Graham Potter to Brighton.

“I said I would help because I love the club, always will, but it was always my intention to step back once things had settled down, which it has following the arrival of Steve (Cooper) and Andy (Scott).

“I’ve enjoyed the role and it has given me a real insight into how a football club operates behind the scenes. It’s been a great experience and I’ve learnt a lot from Trevor and Andy; they’ve been a massive help, together with Steve (Cooper) and I would like to thank them for the opportunity

“But the job is 24/7, all-consuming, and now is the time I have to keep the promise to myself and my family to take a break from the game after nearly 30 years.

“I will keep in touch with the club and help wherever I can because the Swans and the fans mean everything to me. I really hope it’s not the end of my close relationship with the club and I can come back in some capacity sometime in the future.’’

His exit will leave a huge void at the club, with Birch singing his praises in a statement, adding that the door will always remain open to him.

Birch said: “We are all sorry to see Leon relinquish his role. He has made a huge contribution in helping to restructure and drive the football operation forward.

“While he always wanted to take a break from the game, he didn’t hesitate in agreeing to my request to help out when we needed his knowledge, intelligence and passion for the club. I was hoping he may have changed his mind over the lockdown period, but he is focused on taking a break from the game and we must respect that.

“He has really impressed me over the last 18 months and is respected by everyone at the club. He is an icon of the club who typifies what Swansea City is all about and I’m sure his relationship with the club is not over. The door will always be open for him.’’
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Shock as Leon Britton quits Swansea City

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Another Little Britton leaves 'Exit Stage Right'... :laughing6:

On a more serious note, of all the 'Jack' players during their surprising but creditable rise and fall in recent years, this guy simply has to be their No.1?

Wish him nothing but the best and compliment him by saying he is one I would like to have had at the CCS and one of the few that might have made the divide

Good luck, Leon Britton :clap:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Sven wrote:Another Little Britton leaves 'Exit Stage Right'... :laughing6:

On a more serious note, of all the 'Jack' players during their surprising but creditable rise and fall in recent years, this guy simply has to be their No.1?

Wish him nothing but the best and compliment him by saying he is one I would like to have had at the CCS and one of the few that might have made the divide

I second that :thumbup:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Leon Britton is actually a top man, he’s a bit of a comedian too. I met him quite a few years ago and actually went out with few of the players, he was quality. One that I would’ve loved at the ccs.
Good luck Leon :thumbup:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Sven wrote:Another Little Britton leaves 'Exit Stage Right'... :laughing6:

I second that :thumbup:

A very rare phenomenon, a decent Jack, good luck to him.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 pm

And a very good player it must be said

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Mathew Jones their under 23s manager also left his post in late May … and has since been appointed Wales under 18s manager..

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:06 am

Reading between the lines it could be that it was an offer he couldn’t refuse. :thumbup:

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 am

Strange how he puts forward the excuse of wanting to spend more time with his family. Just what has he been doing during the last 3 months during lock down? :?

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Reading between the lines it could be that it was an offer he couldn’t refuse. :thumbup:

Or something he has done?

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Good riddance to him another shit stirring jack who just wanted to stir up trouble between rival fans never had a good word to say about us have you seen the video him and Curtis in a bar in Spain singing an anti Cardiff song with reference to Neil warnock in it I thought Curtis was better than that and they got away it

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:29 am

so sorry was i supposed to say what a charming man and may the good lord look after him :evil:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:04 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Good riddance to him another shit stirring jack who just wanted to stir up trouble between rival fans never had a good word to say about us have you seen the video him and Curtis in a bar in Spain singing an anti Cardiff song with reference to Neil warnock in it I thought Curtis was better than that and they got away it

somehow they manage to brainwash their players into hating Cardiff... I understand it from the jack born players but Britton, Tate , Trundle , McBurnie , Cornforth . Pratley etc. etc .. probably did not know where Swansea was before signing , six months later they are massive Cardiff haters....

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:40 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Good riddance to him another shit stirring jack who just wanted to stir up trouble between rival fans never had a good word to say about us have you seen the video him and Curtis in a bar in Spain singing an anti Cardiff song with reference to Neil warnock in it I thought Curtis was better than that and they got away it

:lol: :lol: so you don't like him because he doesn't like you? Are you really bothered by the fact Swansea players don't like Cardiff? We've signed loads of players who couldn't pick Cardiff on a map and have never turned up on Derby day because it meant f**k all to them..... If whitts never said a good word about Swansea would you say the same about him....

Even though he's a jack he did visit alot of schools and did talks with the kids... I don't know if we do that as a club but no Cardiff players have been to any schools around here (port Talbot).

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 pm

bluebird04 wrote:

:lol: :lol: so you don't like him because he doesn't like you? Are you really bothered by the fact Swansea players don't like Cardiff? We've signed loads of players who couldn't pick Cardiff on a map and have never turned up on Derby day because it meant f**k all to them..... If whitts never said a good word about Swansea would you say the same about him....

Even though he's a jack he did visit alot of schools and did talks with the kids... I don't know if we do that as a club but no Cardiff players have been to any schools around here (port Talbot).

if Whitts…. isn't that the point ? tbh mate I don't want our players { especially ones who come from elsewhere and will most likely leave to play somewhere else again..} running around with a f**k OFF Swansea flag...making dicks of themselves in the away end...making statements about never ever playing for them its small minded and ill thought out.... hardly role models by any stretch... but they visited your school..... :lol:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:06 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:

if Whitts…. isn't that the point ? tbh mate I don't want our players { especially ones who come from elsewhere and will most likely leave to play somewhere else again..} running around with a f**k OFF Swansea flag...making dicks of themselves in the away end...making statements about never ever playing for them its small minded and ill thought out.... hardly role models by any stretch... but they visited your school..... :lol:

In that case we'll never have any players play for us who care about the Derby. All our players come from elsewhere... However the likes of britton, Angel, trundle to them are the same as whitts, mcnaughton etc for us... They become part of the club. And the rivalry becomes more and means more to them.

And as the fact the visited schools yes... Its a huge thing... Port Talbot schools are mainly Swansea fans. The amount of children I've noticed in recent years go from supporting united Chelsea and arsenal to supporting the Jack's is scary. And a huge part of that is, ex Swansea players like trundle and britton are visiting these schools. Talking to kids and building a connection which leads to support. This is something we as a club should be doing. If we are that's great but I haven't noticed any coming as far as here yet.

And also regarding the school comment I meant it as he comes across as a friendly bloke. Could take a joke and didn't mind a bit of rival banter....all the best of luck to him

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:25 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:

In that case we'll never have any players play for us who care about the Derby. All our players come from elsewhere... However the likes of britton, Angel, trundle to them are the same as whitts, mcnaughton etc for us... They become part of the club. And the rivalry becomes more and means more to them.

And as the fact the visited schools yes... Its a huge thing... Port Talbot schools are mainly Swansea fans. The amount of children I've noticed in recent years go from supporting united Chelsea and arsenal to supporting the Jack's is scary. And a huge part of that is, ex Swansea players like trundle and britton are visiting these schools. Talking to kids and building a connection which leads to support. This is something we as a club should be doing. If we are that's great but I haven't noticed any coming as far as here yet.

And also regarding the school comment I meant it as he comes across as a friendly bloke. Could take a joke and didn't mind a bit of rival banter....all the best of luck to him

there is a huge difference in those players you've named who became part of a club and having 1 good season and then doing what mcburnie did .. the hatred is instilled and no that doesn't mean they are going to be twats to kids in a school ….think your probably correct about the derby games... but id prefer our players not to be small minded dicks tbh...

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 pm

bluebird04 wrote:

You’re missing the point I couldn’t give a dam whether he liked me or not but to slag of Neil warnock in a bar on a karaoke machine is unprofessional in my book you think he’s a nice guy as I said stirring up crap because some jack has told him he got to hate Cardiff pathetic you say he’s visit our schools in port talbot have the fans in this town jumped on the band wagon and took there kids with them would he have gone if he knew a lot of the kids where Cardiff fans

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:10 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:

You’re missing the point I couldn’t give a dam whether he liked me or not but to slag of Neil warnock in a bar on a karaoke machine is unprofessional in my book you think he’s a nice guy as I said stirring up crap because some jack has told him he got to hate Cardiff pathetic you say he’s visit our schools in port talbot have the fans in this town jumped on the band wagon and took there kids with them would he have gone if he knew a lot of the kids where Cardiff fans

is Port Talbot still a Cardiff stronghold or have Swansea eaten into it..?

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:13 pm

skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:

You would be surprised how many Cardiff fans we got in port talbot and Neath and there are quite a few in Swansea has well and further west than Swansea we still hod our own port talbot

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:36 am

cardiff 74 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:

You would be surprised how many Cardiff fans we got in port talbot and Neath and there are quite a few in Swansea has well and further west than Swansea we still hod our own port talbot

Very nice to see that we still have strong holds down west you should all be proud of yourselfs especailly the kids for not jumping on the jack band wagon :bluebird: