Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City and Swansea squads / Black lives matter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 am

Cardiff and Swansea squads discuss Black Lives Matter show of support

By Rob Phillips BBC Sport Wales football correspondent

Tuesday 16th June 2020

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris has backed his players who wish to show public support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Head coach Steve Cooper says Swansea City have also discussed the topic and hopes any gesture will be "collective".

The English Football League is expected to give advice on anti-racism messaging as matches resume in the next few days.

"I respect my players, I respect their opinions and the freedoms everybody has to have that opinion," Harris said.

"I would like us to do something as a group, but if it's an individual I would have no problem with that. We have not discussed what gestures individuals or the group might like to make.

"We have discussed the importance of it and equality, and how important everybody is in the football industry but society as well. It is something I believe in quite strongly."

In the Premier League, players' names will be replaced on the back of their shirts with "Black Lives Matter" for the first 12 matches of the restarted season and the league has said it will support any player who chooses to take a knee before or during matches.

Like his Championship counterpart Harris, Swansea boss Cooper said his squad had also talked about a group show of support for Black Lives Matter.

"The discussion will be going on. I think if we do something it will definitely be the collective, but I think it's important the players have a really good say," Cooper said.

"If and when we do something it will be done properly, we will do it with respect and, hopefully, it will have an impact."

Players in Germany have made gestures of solidarity with people protesting about the death of George Floyd.

As the EFL resumes - with League Two kicking off on Thursday and the Championship and League One this weekend - clubs will pay tribute to NHS staff and key workers with a rainbow emblem and "thank you" message on their shirts.

There will also be a period of applause before all matches, as Swansea travel to Middlesbrough on Saturday, 20 June (15:00 BST) and Cardiff host Championship leaders Leeds United on Sunday (12:00 BST).

Harris added: "What they have done for us has been phenomenal and we have to remember every day that passes."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City and Swansea squads / Black lives matter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 pm

I think clubs and leagues need to be very careful over the wording of these shows of solidarity.

Are they supporting the message that black lives matter or are they supporting the activist group black lives matter.

Two very different things but very closely related at the moment

I'm not sure the club will want to be associated with some of the black lives matter groups ideas

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:59 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think clubs and leagues need to be very careful over the wording of these shows of solidarity.

Are they supporting the message that black lives matter or are they supporting the activist group black lives matter.

Two very different things but very closely related at the moment

I'm not sure the club will want to be associated with some of the black lives matter groups ideas

i will be quite surprised if the championship does not follow the Prem... and fully expect the players will be doing this knee thing..

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:11 pm

I agree with the statement black lives matter but I most certainly do not agree with the group black lives matter. The BLM group are an incredibly racist and prejudiced movement who want to “empower” black/brown lives only.
I have just seen sky sports wearing BLM badges for the villa game which I totally disagree with.
I hope that our players do not adopt the knee protest.
I never relied on my skin colour to wave the race flag but it seems that many are jumping on the bandwagon without knowing what they’re really doing

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm

blue for you wrote:I agree with the statement black lives matter but I most certainly do not agree with the group black lives matter. The BLM group are an incredibly racist and prejudiced movement who want to “empower” black/brown lives only.
I have just seen sky sports wearing BLM badges for the villa game which I totally disagree with.
I hope that our players do not adopt the knee protest.
I never relied on my skin colour to wave the race flag but it seems that many are jumping on the bandwagon without knowing what they’re really doing

this wouldn't be universally accepted if there were fans allowed in grounds that's for sure...

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:37 pm

I'm not sure they are grasping the fact they are supporting a racist group, it's crazy especially after all the hard work football has put in regarding racism. Are they saying it's fine as long as it's against whites not blacks ?

They are also by wearing that badge supporting a group that wants to abolish the police force. I wonder what the SWP will think of that.

They should be making there own sign supporting the message not the group

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Do it get it out the way any player/club that don't will get hounded my the media and on social media. However good a reason they have and articulate it for not kneeling it won't be accepted. In a few weeks something else will be in the headlines and football will be promoting another cause.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Pencoed wrote:Do it get it out the way any player/club that don't will get hounded my the media and on social media. However good a reason they have and articulate it for not kneeling it won't be accepted. In a few weeks something else will be in the headlines and football will be promoting another cause.

yes, but what ever cause it will be I doubt it will be one whose supporters have just targeted war memorials... rainbow laces is one thing... forces lives do not matter is a bit different.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm supporting the young black woman who was walking through tCardiff City centre,A gang of blokes walked past and one turned round and done monkey gestures to her.I would like to know who that prick was.
Has anyone of us white people experienced anything like that in our lives?

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:19 pm

stickywicket wrote:I'm supporting the young black woman who was walking through tCardiff City centre,A gang of blokes walked past and one turned round and done monkey gestures to her.I would like to know who that prick was.

Scumbag and a coward whoever he was.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Stickywicket that sounds so fabricated it’s untrue! Many white youths are being attacked just for being white but because it doesn’t fit the narrative you are choosing to ignore it.
You are a mushroom- living in the dark and fed sh*t

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Scumbag, coward and a MORON

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:33 pm

stickywicket wrote:I'm supporting the young black woman who was walking through tCardiff City centre,A gang of blokes walked past and one turned round and done monkey gestures to her.I would like to know who that prick was.

I wanted to be a fireman when I was 18. I was turned away because they were recruiting ethnic minorities only at the time.
Does that count ?
Looking back now I would say I was rejected because of the colour of my skin, didnt register at the time.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:40 pm

ive seen gangs of young men both black and white abuse lots of people of all colours and genders throughout my life.. you have too.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:47 pm

skidemin wrote:

ive seen gangs of young men both black and white abuse lots of people of all colours and genders throughout my life.. you have too.

True.. I was in the queue at the late Spar by the Grange one night, and this black guy walked past calling everyone ‘white c***s’..

Also seen a guy chasing two black guys down Paget St shouting ‘ you black b******s’. Everywhere mate.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Are you being this dull on purpose or are you just dull in general??

If your fairy tale story happened do you think most of us decent white folk would clap and applaud the racists, absolutely not, you complete tool.

Fxck bending a knee, to me it reminds me of that scumbag who likes to attack pregnant women. His murder was vile but to be honest so was he judging by his criminal past.

Are we going to bend a knee to all vile thugs now ??

What about a brown ISIS thug, we gonna bow our knee to him just after our children been slaughtered as hes non white

Why highlight black lives matter any further, all lives matter for fxcks sake.

I'm not saying all, but for me the majority of black people play the victim to often.

And white people can crawl, scared to offend the black race and quite frankly it's pathetic.

We are all equal

End of.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Worst I’ve seen is a Somali gang in Grange blocking the pavement so an old white couple had to walk on the road..blew my top and shoved a few out of the way.. tw**ts

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:02 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Worst I’ve seen is a Somali gang in Grange blocking the pavement so an old white couple had to walk on the road..blew my top and shoved a few out of the way.. tw**ts

Exactly mate

There's good and bad in all colours.

People can call me whatever, but this bending the knee is the most pathetic thing I've seen in 47 years of life, would not be so bad if it was a decent life lost

And listening to Redknapp and Dalglish daughter milking the "look I'm white but I love black peopĺe don't I comments"

Is cringeworthy.

And not worth my time, I've cancelled now tv sports.

I don't need to bend my knee and shout from the rooftops I'm not racist

I know I'm not, end of.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Totally agree citysince72, I’m x forces and would never bend the knee. The guy that died will not be a loss to society regardless of his skin pigment. White commentators declaring their love for black people and almost apologising for being white is hollow and self appreciating.
Sky and BBC are corrupt and only promoting one side of the story.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:46 pm

do you honestly think a white person or disabled person being abused or mocked feels any better ? do you think Martin Keown loved having 16 years of opposition fans singing … hes got a monkeys head.. and on that topic the 20 occasions ive witnessed the worse abuse of a player I think 19 were white and the 20th was having it for beating his wife...

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Citysince72 turn your private messenger on mate

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Would they even dare do this with a ground full of supporters who could well end up booing them.

Imagine doing this at Millwall!

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:57 am

stickywicket wrote:Citysince72 turn your private messenger on mate

It is on mate