Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If you remove history or what's happened in the past,

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:02 am

If you remove history or what's happened in the past, you will never learn! How will our children ever know or learn?

Re: If you remove history or what's happened in the past,

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 pm

I think it's best we do, that way NO ONE can complain , protest and march about it.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 pm

Completely erase everything from a few months ago.

No protesters, no mob rule. No history, no industrial revolution etc.

Just tell the young kids it's always been like this....laptops, X box, internet ad infinitum.

Sorted.

Simples

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:If you remove history or what's happened in the past, you will never learn! How will our children ever know or learn?

Not removing history, just not celebrating anyone with a racist past...which is fair enough. Statues of racists can still be put in museums where they belong, which means people can still learn about them without celebrating their evil past. :thumbup:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:19 pm

moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:If you remove history or what's happened in the past, you will never learn! How will our children ever know or learn?

Not removing history, just not celebrating anyone with a racist past...which is fair enough. Statues of racists can still be put in museums where they belong, which means people can still learn about them without celebrating their evil past. :thumbup:

not one of these statues is there to celebrate slavery or racism.. and yes without being able to accept things were somewhat different in days gone by you are re writing history....its really quit difficult to find a point in history when slavery was part and parcel of how things were , many of our ancestors were slaves ...so do we erase history and everything to do with history ?

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:26 pm

You can airbrush the past in symbolism, but it doesn’t really change any ongoing and real issues.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:17 am

The past is gone

Where would anyone of us be if we made mistakes and didnt learn from it

Would our family just erase us if we done wrong to them

Would our friends?

I dont mean serious wrong obviously

I've made many mistakes and been forgiven for them, I'm not proud of them but I learned from them

I've forgiven for mistakes against me

But I dont bang on about it 30 years late

Slavery existed, black people get over it, does harping on about it, help

I dont think so

Soldiers lost there lives for us, millions upon millions grieved for them

And I bet there family are still not banging on about it to every German they see, calling them all nazis

In my opinion only I think it's an excuse a black man uses when he fails or cant be bothered to try,

Just like white people do, but were not seen as ever "suffering racism"

Tell that to the white farm families being burned out of there homes by black people in South Africa

The world as we know it

Is fxcked

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 am

moonboots wrote:

Of course your removing history?????

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am

Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I think the museum is the best place for these monuments. What better place to learn ? Not removing history merely moving it it's monuments.

Let's be honest, many of us didn't even know about the subjects of some of these statues before so they clearly weren't educating us where they were !! Museums have an important role in educating us on our history and culture.

Auschwitz is a good example of a a terrible part of history that now educates future generations. Once visited never forgotten.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 am

piledriver64 wrote:
I think the museum is the best place for these monuments. What better place to learn ? Not removing history merely moving it it's monuments.

Let's be honest, many of us didn't even know about the subjects of some of these statues before so they clearly weren't educating us where they were !! Museums have an important role in educating us on our history and culture.

Auschwitz is a good example of a a terrible part of history that now educates future generations. Once visited never forgotten.

I think the context of the statue has to be taken into consideration. The Colston statue in Bristol and the Rhodes statue in Oxford were erected to celebrate their philanthropy and rather than connections to the slave trade or belief in white supremacy.

I would agree that description plaques should be placed alongside the statues explaining the full history of the individual highlighting both the good and bad their actions had during their lifetimes as well as giving a background on the values of the times they lived in. That is how you give a balanced education to young people rather than brainwashing children that all of history is bad.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am

Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I fully agree Annis. By removing history you are removing and rewriting it and children are being deprived of a balanced education where all circumstances are included rather than being brainwashed by anyone with an agenda.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:15 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I fully agree Annis. By removing history you are removing and rewriting it and children are being deprived of a balanced education where all circumstances are included rather than being brainwashed by anyone with an agenda.

what on earth is balanced about slavery??? there is no argument that justifies it in order to give a balanced view. Why don't you start and gives the other side of the "Balance" that condones it? or an example of your so called BALANCE.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:42 am

mm3260 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

what on earth is balanced about slavery??? there is no argument that justifies it in order to give a balanced view. Why don't you start and gives the other side of the "Balance" that condones it? or an example of your so called BALANCE.

Agreed.

Those that were involved in the slavery trade are surely somewhat different to others who may have had a tainted past ?

Are we really saying that because they made charitable contributions, from some of the profit they made in trading people, that's OK ?

How many statues of Hitler are there in Germany ? Is that removing history or recognising that Nazis were wrong ?

I'm not intelligent enough to have any real answers to this but can only speak for myself by saying that, as a white man, even I can't see any real justification for public monuments celebrating the lives of those involved in slavery no matter what society looked like at the time they lived.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Completely erase everything from a few months ago.

No protesters, no mob rule. No history, no industrial revolution etc.

Just tell the young kids it's always been like this....laptops, X box, internet ad infinitum.

Sorted.

Simples

In the future kids in Wales will be asking what those strange buildings called "schools" were used for.

That's if they can actually speak rather than just grunting.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Spot on Tony.

The Romans, The Egyptians, The Viking’s had slaves. Are those countries going to remove everything??

No because it’s part of their true history, liked or disliked .

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Spot on Tony.

The Romans, The Egyptians, The Viking’s had slaves. Are those countries going to remove everything??

The Romans, The Egyptians and the Vikings were an entire race of people akin to countries. They weren't individuals like Rhodes and Colston. Those civilisations died out hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

The history needs to be taught in schools but is there a balance that needs to be discussed? balance means arguments for and against. If anyone has an argument for slavery then stand up now. The is no balanced debate possible. Just because these people traded in humans and gave some of the money to communities does not make it right. As someone said there are no statues of Hitler and the like so that people can get a "balanced view" about what he did to the Jews or Milosovic for what he did to muslims. Teach that slavery was wrong but don't hold these slavers in high esteem because they threw a few quid our way

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:55 pm

mm3260 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Spot on Tony.

The Romans, The Egyptians and the Vikings were an entire race of people akin to countries. They weren't individuals like Rhodes and Colston. Those civilisations died out hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

The history needs to be taught in schools but is there a balance that needs to be discussed? balance means arguments for and against. If anyone has an argument for slavery then stand up now. The is no balanced debate possible. Just because these people traded in humans and gave some of the money to communities does not make it right. As someone said there are no statues of Hitler and the like so that people can get a "balanced view" about what he did to the Jews or Milosovic for what he did to muslims. Teach that slavery was wrong but don't hold these slavers in high esteem because they threw a few quid our way

Much more eloquently put than my post but I agree totally.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Rhodes and Colston are just tinkering at the sides.. why not go for the Empress of India herself. Rum, coffee, rubber, cotton, tobacco are all historical products of the slave trade. As there are no positives, all have to go. And the Royal Albert Hall, Victoria and Albert Museum... someone’s going to be busy..

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Rhodes and Colston are just tinkering at the sides.. why not go for the Empress of India herself. Rum, coffee, rubber, cotton, tobacco are all historical products of the slave trade. As there are no positives, all have to go. And the Royal Albert Hall, Victoria and Albert Museum... someone’s going to be busy..

But I don't think many people are arguing that we dismantle those institutions, just that we shouldn't have monuments celebrating their benefactors. So your point is a poor one and plain silly.

Similarly, in Bristol they haven't knocked down the Colston Hall (and nobody asked to) just renamed it. It takes away the symbolism.

Is that really so out of order ?

Not in my eyes but I'm certainly in the minority on this site :roll: :lol:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Rhodes and Colston are just tinkering at the sides.. why not go for the Empress of India herself. Rum, coffee, rubber, cotton, tobacco are all historical products of the slave trade. As there are no positives, all have to go. And the Royal Albert Hall, Victoria and Albert Museum... someone’s going to be busy..

those things would exist today without the slave trade, people who make and grow rum, cotton' coffee etc aren't slaves, they are paid workers so quite a pointless comparison.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm

those things would exist today without the slave trade, people who make and grow rum, cotton' coffee etc aren't slaves, they are paid workers so quite a pointless comparison. Queen vic was head of state and not a slave owner

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm

mm3260 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Spot on Tony.

these entire erm races that died away :? they made collective decisions or did they also have wealthy people and leaders .. or is the point that slavery is not so bad if its collective ? much cherry picking going on here... Hitler.. you are aware he lost and died ? so no a hundred years later its unlikely communities will honour him for all his good work after being the fuhrer… jesus please buy another book...

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 pm

mm3260 wrote:

those things would exist today without the slave trade, people who make and grow rum, cotton' coffee etc aren't slaves, they are paid workers so quite a pointless comparison. Queen vic was head of state and not a slave owner

Just highlighting your pointless selectivity on the matter.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Don't get me started on the Romans!!

What have they ever done for us??

:)

(Topic is sort of historical, only the more senior on here will remember)

:)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm

skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:

not one of these statues is there to celebrate slavery or racism.. and yes without being able to accept things were somewhat different in days gone by you are re writing history....its really quit difficult to find a point in history when slavery was part and parcel of how things were , many of our ancestors were slaves ...so do we erase history and everything to do with history ?

Do you consider the Barbary Pirate Slavers, who occupied Lundy Island for a quarter of a century, racists or was it ok to raid villages around the Bristol Channel and enslave the villagers. Should their descendants seek reparations from North African Countries?

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

I think the context of the statue has to be taken into consideration. The Colston statue in Bristol and the Rhodes statue in Oxford were erected to celebrate their philanthropy and rather than connections to the slave trade or belief in white supremacy.

I would agree that description plaques should be placed alongside the statues explaining the full history of the individual highlighting both the good and bad their actions had during their lifetimes as well as giving a background on the values of the times they lived in. That is how you give a balanced education to young people rather than brainwashing children that all of history is bad.

Spot on, people including children will pass these statues everyday, if there was a plaque explaining warts n all what they did, it would educate far more people. How often do we visit a museum or gallery.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Jock wrote:
skidemin wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Do you consider the Barbary Pirate Slavers, who occupied Lundy Island for a quarter of a century, racists or was it ok to raid villages around the Bristol Channel and enslave the villagers. Should their descendants seek reparations from North African Countries?

thing you've quoted the wrong post babe..
but in answer its no they shouldn't seek reparations its insanity... you can not apply todays values with what was part of life a hundred or 3 hundred years ago ..
and how someone is perceived as being good or bad a person is best left to those who existed at that point in time.. as for slavery it exists today and has always existed.. and it certainly is not purely a white European thing. either..

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Jock wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Spot on, people including children will pass these statues everyday, if there was a plaque explaining warts n all what they did, it would educate far more people. How often do we visit a museum or gallery.

All i'm saying is that you don't need a statue to learn about History. Statues are put up of people who are admired and respected in the community. You can learn History without Statues, ask anyone who cant read but can listen or cant see but can hear. Statues immortalise heros and dignitaries. Look at how the mindless Britain 1st yobs tried to defend them over the country. They did it because they are supremacists and not for kids to learn lessons. Carry on with your conversation coz i finished what i need to say

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:03 pm

mm3260 wrote:
Jock wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

All i'm saying is that you don't need a statue to learn about History. Statues are put up of people who are admired and respected in the community. You can learn History without Statues, ask anyone who cant read but can listen or cant see but can hear. Statues immortalise heros and dignitaries. Look at how the mindless Britain 1st yobs tried to defend them over the country. They did it because they are supremacists and not for kids to learn lessons. Carry on with your conversation coz i finished what i need to say

it wasn't just right wing groups defending war memorials take a good look ... if anything they put people off going , I think you under estimate massively the immense offence to our country and its citizens by a very vocal minority whose cause this week happens to be BLM...

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:25 pm

skidemin wrote:
mm3260 wrote:
Jock wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

it wasn't just right wing groups defending war memorials take a good look ... if anything they put people off going , I think you under estimate massively the immense offence to our country and its citizens by a very vocal minority whose cause this week happens to be BLM...

wow and you still don't see that u dont need statues to teach history but instead defend the mindless thugs who were doing nazi salutes in front of the cenotaph and pissing over a fallen pc's memorial
Good luck with your point of view