Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: " UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS "

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: " NEIL HARRIS FIRST UPDATE SINCE THE LOCKDOWN & UPDATING CARDIFF CITY FANS AHEAD OF LEEDS UNITED HOME THIS SUNDAY " :bluebird: :bluebird:

NEIL HARRIS:

'A few players' short of match fitness

Q: Are any players ruled out for this weekend?

Harris: “I’ve mentioned a few players are going to be a bit short of match fitness. I’m not going to give too much away to allow the opposition time to prepare for us.”

'Premier League place has always been the focus of the whole club'

Q: Has it refocused ambition of a Premier League place?

Harris: “That’s always been the focus of the whole club, during difficult times away from football, clinging on to the thought process of being in a great position in the league.

“It’s been a focal point for the chats I’ve had with players and staff over Zoom and over the phone.

“The players have been focused in training and wanted to learn and develop as a group.

“We all want to improve and be better. How prepared we are for Sunday we will only know after the game is finished.”

Cardiff planning Black Lives Matter and NHS gestures

Harris is asked about the Black Lives Matter movement.

Harris: “It was great last night to see players and staff taking a knee before the game. We are a powerful industry that carries a lot of weight in society and in Government as well, with the great work Marcus Rashford has done.

“It’s down to the players. I spoke to a chorus of senior players and we will be doing a few things, not only regarding Black Lives Matter but the NHS.”

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: " READ BELOW ALL NEIL HARRIS LATEST UPDATES " :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Q: What are your general thoughts ahead of the game?

Harris: “I’m really excited. It’s great for all of us to see Premier League football last night on the TV.

“It’s been a long time without a game but at the same time Sunday has come around really quickly.

“To see football being football last night with goal line technology mess up, that was really bizarre... Chris Wilder’s interview was first class, could have made a huge thing of it but said everyone should look at the greater good, how fortunate we are to be playing again.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 am

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: Remaining Cardiff City fixtures: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun 21 June - Cardiff City vs. Leeds United 12:00

Sat 27 June - Preston North End vs. Cardiff City 12:30

Tue 30 June - Cardiff City vs. Charlton Athletic 19:45

Sat 04 July - Bristol City vs. Cardiff City 15:00

Tue 07 July - Cardiff City vs. Blackburn Rovers 19:45

Sat 11 July - Fulham vs. Cardiff City 15:00

Tue 14 July - Cardiff City vs. Derby County 19:45

Sat 18 July - Middlesbrough vs. Cardiff City 15:00

Wed 22 July - Cardiff City vs. Hull City
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:17 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Harris: 'Leeds deserve to be top of the table - it will be a great test for us'

Q: First up it’s a real challenge, is it the biggest test?

Harris: “It is yeah, 37 games, you roughly deserve to be where you are barring a point or two.

“Leeds deserve to be top of the table because of how they’ve been over the course of the season.

“They have invested heavily in the setup there so it will be a great test for us. They are regarded as one of the fittest and fastest teams in the division.

“But sometimes you want to put down a marker, but if we play at our best then we have got a chance to put a marker down for the rest of the season.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'A few players' short of match fitness

Q: Are any players ruled out for this weekend?

Harris: “I’ve mentioned a few players are going to be a bit short of match fitness. I’m not going to give too much away to allow the opposition time to prepare for us.”

NEIL HARRIS:

Cardiff planning Black Lives Matter and NHS gestures

Harris is asked about the Black Lives Matter movement.

Harris: “It was great last night to see players and staff taking a knee before the game. We are a powerful industry that carries a lot of weight in society and in Government as well, with the great work Marcus Rashford has done.

“It’s down to the players. I spoke to a chorus of senior players and we will be doing a few things, not only regarding Black Lives Matter but the NHS.”

NEIL HARRIS:

Harris on the new subs rule

Q: With five subs permitted, is there a strategy on how to use them?

Harris: “Well Mikel Arteta had a great plan until he lost two defenders!

“We try and plan for injuries and red-card scenarios. But what I’ve seen in a lot of football recently is that it can all go out the window.

“The drinks break… it was raining in Manchester, it wasn’t about the heat, but it was about getting through the 90 minutes and giving everyone a breather.

“Being able to use nine is hugely important to ensuring players finish the game in relatively good health.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Harris' message to fans who would want to watch Cardiff

Q: What’s your message to supporters who would want to be able to there?

Harris: “There are certain clubs that rely on their fan base to create the atmosphere, we are certainly one of those.

“I put the message out, please stay at home and watch the game rather than come to the stadium.

“We are lucky to be back out there. Enjoy watching it with your families and hopefully we get the right positive result against Leeds.”

NEIL HARRIS:

'The biggest thing is not having that crowd reaction'

Q: Do you think some players might shine behind closed doors?

Harris: “It’s not something that’s been discussed at the moment. I’ve played with players at the moment who have been very good in five-a-side, but then not so good on a Saturday.

“Mentality-wise, physicality-wise, we don’t know. I’ve seen those players.

“Do some of the players really get themselves up for Saturdays? Yes, I’ve played with players like that too.

“The biggest thing is not having that crowd reaction.”

NEIL HARRIS:

Harris most looking forward 'to winning the game'

Q: What one thing are you most looking forward to?

Harris: “Winning the game. Being a football manager is what you work for.

“I’ve had some really tough conversations with my players over the last few months, during difficult spells.

“Just seeing the group out there on the grass, doing what makes them happy and their families happy.

“That puts smiles on the faces of hundreds of millions of people around the world. We are part of something. An advantage being part of it.“

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Harris most looking forward 'to winning the game'

Q: What one thing are you most looking forward to?

Harris: “Winning the game. Being a football manager is what you work for.

“I’ve had some really tough conversations with my players over the last few months, during difficult spells.

“Just seeing the group out there on the grass, doing what makes them happy and their families happy.

“That puts smiles on the faces of hundreds of millions of people around the world. We are part of something. An advantage being part of it.“

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Harris: 'I hope Leeds are not at full strength!'

Harris is asked about Leeds injuries.

Harris: “I hope they are not at full strength!

“You always want to gain an advantage.

“I am trying to keep things close to my chest. We will see the same from Leeds as well.

“We saw Sheffield United’s team last night, that, in my opinion, weakened their team and gave an advantage to the opponent.

“I think that’s going to be the norm for the next three and a half weeks.”

Hernandez, how important is he to come?

“He’s a top player. He’s a super player and his physical output is astounding and a player I admire a lot at the level we play at.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:30 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'Players have to play without fear of making mistakes'

Q: Can you mitigate mistakes?

Harris: “We have to be open-minded. I’ve talked a lot about not having a blame culture at the club.

“Players have to play without fear of making mistakes.

“In the last half an hour of both games, not so much Man City, we saw a lot of giving the ball away.

“The difference between the first half hour and last half hour was epic.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:31 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'The biggest thing is not having that crowd reaction'

Q: Do you think some players might shine behind closed doors?

Harris: “It’s not something that’s been discussed at the moment. I’ve played with players at the moment who have been very good in five-a-side, but then not so good on a Saturday.

“Mentality-wise, physicality-wise, we don’t know. I’ve seen those players.

“Do some of the players really get themselves up for Saturdays? Yes, I’ve played with players like that too.

“The biggest thing is not having that crowd reaction.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:04 pm

“ THE CLUB WANTS CARDIFF CITY FANS “
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215526. :bluebird:

Re: BREAKING NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:33 pm

'We are fortunate to be back on the pitch'

Q: Is it a bigger challenge the opponent or adapting to a different environment?

Harris: “Since my time in charge, the derby against Swansea was a great experience personally, the magnitude, important fixture.

“But apart from that it was Leeds away, two big clubs at this level. To not have that support is not benefiting the home team, or benefiting the away team, in Germany.

“We are fortunate to be back on the pitch.

“A lack of build-up time, yeah, but it’s the same for everyone.

“The answers to all the questions are going to be answered after a period of time.”

Re: BREAKING NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm

'Premier League place has always been the focus of the whole club'

Q: Has it refocused ambition of a Premier League place?

Harris: “That’s always been the focus of the whole club, during difficult times away from football, clinging on to the thought process of being in a great position in the league.

“It’s been a focal point for the chats I’ve had with players and staff over Zoom and over the phone.

“The players have been focused in training and wanted to learn and develop as a group.

“We all want to improve and be better. How prepared we are for Sunday we will only know after the game is finished.”

Re: BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: " UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS "

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Cardiff City's full squad gave Greg Cunningham a standing ovation after he completed his first full week of training, Neil Harris has revealed.

Thursday 18th June 2020

The left back's road to recovery since he sustained an ACL tear in October while on loan at Blackburn Rovers has been arduous and laborious, but this week represented a major step on his road to full fitness.

He recently spoke about having the bit between his teeth and wanting to prove his detractors wrong once he is fully rehabilitated.

While Harris previously predicted that Cunningham might be ready only for pre-season, having the Irishman back in full training perhaps points towards him having some involvement in the final nine fixtures of the current campaign.

And, with Cunningham clearly a popular member of the squad, every Bluebird applauded his return at their Vale HQ this week in acknowledgement of his hard graft in recent months.

"Greg is pretty much back in full training, so that’s a real positive," Harris said ahead of the fixture with Leeds United this Sunday.

"It’s great to get him back in the group. He did his first full training session with us on Tuesday and he got the usual reaction from me.

"I bring all the players in and make a point of mentioning it to everybody and he gets a standing ovation from everybody in the group.

"He’s been out a heck of a long time and it’s a tough road he’s been through.

"That was good, that was nice to see."

Other players fighting for the left-back position, of course, are Joe Bennett and Brad Smith, the Australia international who was brought in on loan from Bournemouth back in January.

Smith has not played a single minute as yet and the returning Cunningham will provide him with further competition for that spot.

While fans might wonder when we will see Smith in a City shirt, Harris said having the player around has only served to ignite the fire in Bennett once again.

"He’s been great since he’s come into the building, competing against Joe Bennett, who we know is an exceptional full back at this level," Harris said of Smith.

"They will fight for that jersey until the end of the current campaign.

"After that, we will have to see what happens in the future.

"But at the moment, Brad is really focused, really enjoying it here, been great with the lads, have a lot of time for him.

"He has been great since he came in, to be honest, but Joe Bennett’s form - he’s been a consistent player for a long time - since Brad came in and added the competition, I thought Benno took his stock up another level."

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Harris: 'We have got the odd niggle in the squad'

Q: Has excitement turned into apprehension at all?

Harris: “Not from the players’ perspective.

“I never worried about getting injured, individuals cross that when they get there.

“I felt for Mikel Arteta last night, losing two of the five subs early, it all goes out the window.

“We have got the odd niggle in the squad and everyone will.

“We can just take one game at a time, planning a week in advance.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:07 pm

'I know my squad better than anyone'

Q: Are there any patterns out of those two games?

Harris: “Just watching the managers, what substitutions will be made and when.

“I know my squad better than anyone, who is fit for 90 minutes and who is fit for 30.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Harris: 'We have a game plan where we can cause Leeds United problems, that’s for sure'

Q: The 3-3 game, where does that rank?

Harris: “We have had some great games and some not so good games.

“To come back from 3-0 down against top of the league and at Elland Road, was great. I saw a lot in my team that day.

“I saw some negatives, like at QPR, but we saw some great things as well.

“I’ve seen so many positives in the group.

“Leeds, this year, one of my favourite games as manager.

“I learned a lot about the group when we went behind. To come from 3-0 down was a huge achievement.

“I wouldn’t say fear, but respect. We have a game plan where we can cause Leeds United problems, that’s for sure.

“You can’t fear anyone going forward. I want to win and force ourselves into the play-offs.

“We have to enjoy every day, every match.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 pm

'We have to focus on ourselves , mini-season'

Q: Is it a continuation of the campaign or a new nine-game tournament?

Harris: “Great question. What is it? Theoretically it’s a continuation.

“But in football you only get these periods in the off-season. It’s like you’re starting again but with handicap on the teams below or above you.

“We have to focus on ourselves as a small, mini-season.

“I spoke to the players about hitting the ground running and laying that marker down.

“We have an opportunity to do that on Sunday. We are right at the business end of the season.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:12 pm

'Momentum you have on the pitch from game to game, that’s broken'

Q: Leeds’ five-match winning streak, it doesn’t carry weight now, does it?

Harris: “No, I think the same for us too, when we were just finding a little momentum and structure in what we are doing.

“The momentum you have on the pitch you carry from game to game, that’s broken.

“That five-game run for them has halted.

“It’s the same for us, we had a good comeback against Brentford and a win over Barnsley before the break.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm

The latest on Greg Cunningham and Brad Smith

Q: What are the Greg Cunningham/Brad Smith opportunities?

Harris: “Greg is pretty much back in full training, so that’s a real positive.

“It’s great to get him back in the group. He did his first full training session with us on Tuesday and he got the usual reaction from me.

“I bring all the players in and make a point of mentioning it to everybody and he gets a standing ovation from everybody in the group.

“He’s been out a hell of a long time and it’s a tough road he’s been through.

“That was good, that was nice to see.

“Regarding Smithy, he’s been great since he’s come into the building, competing against Joe Bennett, who we know is an exceptional full back at this level.

“They will fight for that jersey until the end of the current campaign.

“After that, we will have to see what happens in the future.

“But at the moment, Brad is really focused, really enjoying it here, been great with the lads, have a lot of time for him.

“He has been great since he came in, to be honest, but Joe Bennett’s form - he’s been a consistent player for a long time, Joe - since Brad came in and added the competition, I thought Benno took his stock up another level.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm

'Momentum you have on the pitch from game to game, that’s broken'

Q: Leeds’ five-match winning streak, it doesn’t carry weight now, does it?

Harris: “No, I think the same for us too, when we were just finding a little momentum and structure in what we are doing.

“The momentum you have on the pitch you carry from game to game, that’s broken.

“That five-game run for them has halted.

“It’s the same for us, we had a good comeback against Brentford and a win over Barnsley before the break.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Potential opportunities for academy players over next nine games

Q: Are we likely to see some academy players on the bench this weekend?

Harris: “It’s a real tough balancing act. Some players we have not been able to have in the building for various logistical reasons. They might have had opportunities.

“Some have trained with us, but we have a relatively healthy group at the moment, so over the course of the next nine games, there could well be opportunities.

“Will it be for this weekend? We probably won’t see any 18, 19-year-olds this weekend. But moving forward, there is every possibility towards the end of the season and certainly moving into the following season.”

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:23 pm

'The last six games, form and momentum goes completely out the window - it's all bets off'

Q: Has there been a new ethos or new tactics during this break?

Harris: “We saw it as an opportunity to develop slowly, there has been no transfer window [during the break] so looking a completely different team come Sunday, no.

“There’s been a lot of reviewing regarding what’s required.

“Are we going to be playing completely different come Sunday, I don’t think so.

“Is it not just about winning football? If you look at it during the course of the season, the last six games, form and momentum goes completely out the window.

“It’s all bets off.

“You have asked me a lot on the style of play and you know my thoughts on it, but at the moment, it’s about winning a game of football.

“We have got to be effective and winning games at this stage of the season, we want to develop.”

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:04 am

Cardiff City have a few notable names, chiefly right back Jazz Richards, who injured his calf while doing his own fitness during lockdown.

Greg Cunningham and Isaac Vassell are also injured, but Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Lee Tomlin are set to contend for starting berths this weekend, both having recovered from fitness issues before the enforced break.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:16 am

Jazz !!! Again FFS.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:21 am

JulesK wrote:Jazz !!! Again FFS.

Jules,
I know it’s beyond a joke, cost Cardiff £millions, surely there is No way he will get a new contract .