Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Peter Whittingham, Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry "

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:20 am

:thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cardiff City and Leeds United to hold minute's silence to remember Peter Whittingham, Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry

Players from both sides will pay tribute to the club greats on Sunday

By Katie Sands

Saturday 19th June 2020

Cardiff City legend Peter Whittingham died in March this year

Cardiff City will hold a minute's silence in memory of Peter Whittingham, Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry when they return to the field this weekend.

The club say the minute's silence will also pay tribute to all those who have lost their lives since the last time the Bluebirds played.

Cardiff face Leeds United in their behind-closed-doors return to Championship action on Sunday, June 21, at Cardiff City Stadium.

Players from both sides will wear black armbands.

The club say players of both sides will stand at the centre circle to observe the silence, and will then take a knee in support of the Black Lives Matter movement following the referee's whistle.

Players of both sides will also warm up in Black Lives Matter T-shirts to show their support.

Club icon Whittingham died aged 35 in March. He had been on life support after suffering a head injury following an incident at a Barry pub on March 7.

Leeds United legend Norman Hunter died aged 76 in April. The former England defender, who was part of England's 1966 World Cup-winning squad, had been admitted to hospital with coronavirus.

Trevor Cherry, also a former Leeds and England defender, died "suddenly and unexpectedly" aged 72 in April.

Cardiff City stress that discussions are still ongoing regarding a more specific gesture to pay tribute to club great Whittingham.

Club bosses believe it is only right that a designated tribute is carried out when Bluebirds supporters are allowed to be there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Peter Whittingham, Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry "

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 am

Great players RIP

Norman Hunter & Trevor Cherry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:29 am

I really hope there’ll be a PW one when we get crowds back too :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:31 am

A minute's silence or applause for PW once CCS full.

Legend

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 am

A statue wouldn't be bad way to recognise his contribution to club plus a true legend... after all only have one statue at ground

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am

Whits needs to have a testimonial type match - with the money raised either going to his kids (if he had any) or going to the head injuries charity that Len Noakes is associated with after his daughter. A great local charity that does fantastic work.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:37 am

Plus a stand named in his honour

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Plus a stand named in his honour

I usually would say that is over the top - but I Whitts literally is the definition of a club legend - probably the only true legend in my lifetime, others are heroes and icons but Whitts literally was one of the very best of the very best players to grace the shirt and was loyal to a tea as well. and it still breaks my heart to think of him being taken so young.

The Whittingham Stand would make a smashing gesture. Also, perhaps a trust fund for developing grass roots talent in his name could be another fitting tribute.

Something special to honour him should deffo be done though.

:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:20 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

I usually would say that is over the top - but I Whitts literally is the definition of a club legend - probably the only true legend in my lifetime, others are heroes and icons but Whitts literally was one of the very best of the very best players to grace the shirt and was loyal to a tea as well. and it still breaks my heart to think of him being taken so young.

The Whittingham Stand would make a smashing gesture. Also, perhaps a trust fund for developing grass roots talent in his name could be another fitting tribute.

Something special to honour him should deffo be done though.

:ayatollah:

Totally agree

Fitting tribute to a club great

On and off the pitch

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:46 pm

I liked the idea of a large banner at the back of the stand.

Just a giant picture of him in his kit permanently looking over the pitch with the number 7

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:05 pm

pembroke allan wrote:A statue wouldn't be bad way to recognise his contribution to club plus a true legend... after all only have one statue at ground

Personally I would absolutely love this to happen, an absolute true legend for us that could’ve chased the money and left us many times. Along with Tony Evans, Whitts was my favourite player of all time.
Get the statue done for Mr Whittingham :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 pm

Totally agree with this too :thumbup:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:09 pm

thomasblue wrote:I liked the idea of a large banner at the back of the stand.

Just a giant picture of him in his kit permanently looking over the pitch with the number 7

That’s a cracking idea :thumbup:

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:58 am

I’m a strong advocate of naming the family stand after him as he was a family man also.
He had one small child and his wife was pregnant at the time of his death.

This way he would always be remembered for generations with youngsters growing up and asking about who he was.

RIP Whitt’s.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’m a strong advocate of naming the family stand after him as he was a family man also.
He had one small child and his wife was pregnant at the time of his death.

This way he would always be remembered for generations with youngsters growing up and asking about who he was.

RIP Whitt’s.

This :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: