Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What is the matter with these people

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:02 am

Having somewhere to walk your dog or treating cancer patients in Wales
People protest against the building of a new cancer hospital on Cardiff meadows

The new Velindre hospital is planned on a site known as the Northern Meadows in Cardiff

Over 100 people are currently attending (Image: Mark Lewis)
Enter your postcode for local news and info

Over 300 people joined a Saturday morning protest against the building of a £180m cancer hospital in the north of Cardiff.

The new Velindre cancer hospital is planned built on a green fields site known as the Northern Meadows between Whitchurch Hospital and Asda at Coryton.

The facility is set to replace the current 60-year-old Velindre Cancer Centre.

Though the plans were approved by Cardiff Council in 2018, many residents from the campaign group Save the Northern Meadows say that the plans will cause "irreversible damage" to what is undoubtedly a beautiful area.

Many residents are also in favour of the scheme which support say is deseratly needed to accommodate the growing number of cancer patients in Wales. The new facility would be twice as big as the current hospital with a capacity for 8,500 new patients and 160,000 patient appointments a year.
It is a colourful occasion (Image: Mark Lewis)
People are gathering to protest the new hospital (Image: Mark Lewis)

The Save the Northern Meadows campaign group says it will damage wildlife, cause traffic problems and lead to a loss of green space.

Todays protest, called Stand Up for the Meadows, started at 10.30am. Those taking part are asked to stay at least five-metres apart and to wear a face covering.

Live updates below
11:16
Police are in attendance

There are four police officers at the scene but there is no trouble at all.

Everyone seems to be socially distancing and enjoying the lovely environment and weather.

A few chats of “save our meadow” have broken out.
11:10
There are between 300-500 people at the protest

There seems to have been a very good turnout at protest. Only 100 indicated there would be attending on the Facebook event but many seem to have brought their families.

Our photographer at the meadows says that there are up to 500 people there.

0_WhatsApp-Image-2020-06-20-at-103524jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What is the matter with these people

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:16 am

Protection of open spaces is one I support and but you cannot stop progress and having lost both my wife and my mother to cancer, I know that a new Velindre Hospital is essential if more people are not to go through the same traumatic experiences

Plenty of other (larger) open spaces in or near that particular part of our wonderful city and maybe some accommodation of the Poop Scoop Brigade might be found (better facilities, routes, etc.)

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:03 pm

I've been following this as I am originally from the area and have family that live nearby. The main objections are not about the hospital being built but more about the layout of the road and infrastructure destroying a beautiful part of cardiff for no real reason causing 4 years of roadworks and lane closures in a very busy built up area.

The meadow does not need to be lost and could easily be incorporated by using the old hospital site but plans are to destroy most of it when there is plenty of room to avoid this happening.

More to this than just locals objecting to a cancer hospital

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:24 pm

Absolutely agree with any hospital being built but surely there are more accessible areas?

Why build there?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to locate where access and infrastructures more readily available and likely to cause less disruption?

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Saw the plans for that, and they could easily build through on the old mental hospital site, which is brownfield. But they want to build houses. Radyr to Pentrebane is already gone. I’m usually pro build but it’s the wrong site there.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:35 pm

Site it on the nearest industrial estate. Access and infrastructures sorted

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Nearest is Amersham. There’s also plenty of empty land at Treforest

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Having worked at whitchurch and go to velindre the main problem is the old hospital is blocked in by housing think main buildings are listed so cant be knocked down! access is very limited can see the arguments about not wanting it there ... would be great idea if WG said let's build a new hospital combining a replacement for uhw (been talk if it) and new cancer hospital on a purpose built site on edge of city with associated transport links now that would be perfect..

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:24 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Saw the plans for that, and they could easily build through on the old mental hospital site, which is brownfield. But they want to build houses. Radyr to Pentrebane is already gone. I’m usually pro build but it’s the wrong site there.

agree . :thumbup: