Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW " CARDIFF CITY TOOK THEIR CHANCES AND "

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 pm

MY VIEW " CARDIFF CITY HAD HARDLY ANY OF THE BALL BUT TOOK THEIR CHANCES AND CAME AWAY WITH A HUGE WIN "

Massive win for Cardiff City and I think Neil Harris got his tactics spot on :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Cardiff City went into this match knowing that a win would only keep them out of the top six on goal difference

Leeds went into the match 2nd in the table, but only needing a point to go back top over West Brom

The match was played at Cardiff City Stadium but with no crowd, and live on Sky Sports

Neil Harris named an unchanged team, with most of his key players available again

Both clubs were allowed to name nine substitutes and use up to five of them in three separate intervals during the match

Smithies, Sanderson, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett, Vaulks, Bacuna, Ralls, Hoilett, Adomah, Paterson

Before kick off both sets of players took part in a minutes applause and also took to their knees.

Cardiff City started quickly, with a couple of set pieces in the first ten minutes that didn't come to anything

Junior Hoilett shot just wide from distance in the 12th minute, in the match's first opportunity

Leeds had a penalty shout in the 17th minute but the referee wasn't interested

Cooper headed just over for Leeds in the 20th minute

As the players had their first cooling break halfway through the first half, Leeds were beginning to control the match but neither keeper still hadn't needed to make a save

Leeds nearly took the lead in the 32nd minute from a corner, but Will Vaulks made a brilliant goal line clearance

GOAL: CARDIFF CITY 1-0 LEEDS UNITED - Against the run of play, but Junior Hoilett scored in the 35th minute from just outside the penalty area after Leeds gave the ball away

Costa was booked for Leeds in the 37th minute after a late challenge on Joe Ralls

Costa's shot from distance in the 40th minute was straight at Alex Smithies

Albert Adomah booked in the 42nd minute

Junior Hoilett booked in the 43rd minute

Leeds nearly equalised in first half stoppage time, but the shot was blocked by one of their own players

Phillips booked for Leeds in first half stoppage time

HALF TIME: CARDIFF CITY 1-0 LEEDS UNITED

Callum Paterson headed just wide in the 52nd minute

Roberts booked for Leeds in the 57th minute

Smithies made a brilliant save in the 61st minute

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Robert Glatzel replaced Albert Adomah and Callum Paterson in the 65th minute

Joe Ralls shot wide in the 66th minute

GOAL: CARDIFF CITY 2-0 LEEDS UNITED - Another mistake by Leeds and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing got the ball to Robert Glatzel, who brilliantly scored in the 71st minute

Marlon Pack replaced Joe Ralls in the 75th minute

Klich booked for Leeds in the 81st minute

Brad Smith and Lee Tomlin came on for Will Vaulks and Junior Hoilett in the 83rd minute

Bamford should have got one back for Leeds in the 87th minute but couldn't get to the ball

Leeds nearly scored in the 88th minute when Smithies couldn't hold the ball, but Morrison made a crucial interception

Harrison shot over from close range in the 93rd minute

FULL TIME: CARDIFF CITY 2-0 LEEDS UNITED

My MOTM was Leandro Bacuna :thumbright:

Next up is another difficult game with Preston away next Saturday

Re: MY VIEW " CARDIFF CITY TOOK THEIR CHANCES AND "

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:43 pm

We beat the better team by putting in a performance that beats better team. That being we scored from our only chances.