Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Cardiff City player Wanted by Bristol City and “

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:50 pm

Bristol City, Luton Town and Oxford United keen on free agent Jazz Richards after Cardiff City exit

The Wales international is available on a free transfer this summer and a number of clubs have already made contact.

Jazz left Cardiff City as a player last week after not being offered a new contract.

Glen Williams

Bristol City are one of a number of clubs to have made contact.

It was announced this week that the Wales international, along with Matthew Connolly and Omar Bogle, would leave Cardiff City next week after the club decided not to offer the trio fresh deals.

Richards' contract has been a long-running ordeal this season and it is understood that clubs both in the UK and abroad have been monitoring the situation.

And WalesOnline has learned that Severnside rivals Bristol City have sounded out the player over a potential move across the Bridge this summer.

It has been reported that the Robins, who are short in the position, have been briefing agents that they want to sign two full backs and a defensive midfielder this summer and given Richards can play both at left back and right back, he will certainly be an attractive prospect.

Fellow Championship outfit Luton, managed by Welshman Nathan Jones, are also understood to have made contact, while Oxford United, who are in the play-offs in League One, are also thought to be interested.

Further afield, Australian A-League club Brisbane Roar, managed by former Bluebird and Liverpool great Robbie Fowler, have also registered an interest in the player, who has 14 Wales caps to his name.

Bluebirds manager Neil Harris last weekend revealed both the club and Richards decided it was best if the player departed next week to give him the best opportunity to find a new club this summer and relaunch his career.

Despite missing the 2-0 win over Leeds as he worked his way back from a calf niggle, it is understood that Richards is indeed back to full fitness.

Want the latest Cardiff City news straight to your inbox?

Join hundreds of Bluebirds fans in getting the breaking news, transfer gossip and big interviews sent to your inbox on a daily basis.

Sign up to the Cardiff option below and then each day at 4pm you'll receive a handy round-up of all the day's latest news with l

"We've had many a chat over the weeks gone by about his future and the fact it probably lies elsewhere," Harris said.

"So I am not massively surprised [he's decided to leave the club]. If he was fit, did he want to play? Yes. We've come to a joint-decision, because he is not fit at the moment and needs to think about where he goes next.

"He leaves on 30 June with our complete support and understanding and we wish him the best going forward."

Richards initially announced the news of his exit on Instagram, thanking the fans for their continued support.

"End Of An Era," he wrote. "It's time to say goodbye to Cardiff City FC.

"It's been one hell of a journey with a lot of highs and a lot of lows but most of all a great experience.

"I have met a lot of great people along the way and people I can call friends for life.

"It's been a roller-coaster of a ride for me, but one thing I can never doubt and will always be grateful for is the continuous belief and support from (Cardiff) fans I will always appreciate you. The chapter ends but the story continues. Thank you."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Cardiff City player Wanted by Bristol City and “

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:31 pm

If I was Brisbane Roar I would'nt sign Jazz. He would probably injure himself getting off the plane.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Hope they realise he needs his own treatment room :-)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:26 pm

if he can get a contract at another club, then fair play to him. but i find it hilarious anyone would even consider signing him

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:41 pm

3 month contract at best in my opinion till he can totally prove he is over his injuries

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 pm

bluebird04 wrote:if he can get a contract at another club, then fair play to him. but i find it hilarious anyone would even consider signing him

could be an asset if you can get him to play.. the second bit being the difficult bit.. I don't think any manager could show more faith / patience / interest than NH has { bigged Jazz up from the minute he arrived and in every press conference for months after even when Jazz had a new injury or after pelts had played well in a game we had won }

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Ahem! Former Cardiff City player...! ;) :laughing6:

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:47 pm

May as well just give him £1mill upfront as wages and say stay at home for three seasons until the contract expires.

Useless waste of money and time for any team

It's pretty obvious his body can't handle the fitness levels needed for this level of football
Last edited by thomasblue on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Sven wrote:Ahem! Former Cardiff City player...! ;) :laughing6:

yes indeed.… ahem thankfully a former...