PNE's Andrew Hughes is desperate to beat his former side Car

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 am

PNE's Andrew Hughes is desperate to beat his former side Cardiff City

Preston North End host Cardiff City at Deepdale on Saturday

By George Hodgson Preston North End Writer

FRIDAY 26 JUN 2020

SPORT

Preston North End's Manager Alex Neil speaks to Andrew Hughes

Eight years at Cardiff City as a youngster will mean nothing for Preston North End full back Andrew Hughes on Saturday.

North End's No.16 was with the Bluebirds up until the age of 15, before being let go and making the move to Newport County.

This weekend Hughes will pull on the Preston shirt as Alex Neil's side host Cardiff at Deepdale - it's a huge game in the race for the Play-Offs, with the two sides occupying sixth and seventh spot in the Championship.

He might've been at the club from the age of seven, but Hughes will have only one thing on his mind come the weekend.

He said: "There's no attachment to Cardiff for me no more, you've always got that kind of 'I'm going to come back and bite you in the future' attitude, so hopefully that'll be the case.

Andrew Hughes:

"It makes me just want to beat them more to be honest.

"I was 15 when I left just before you get offered a scholarship or not.

"I don't really support anyone, yeah I tried to watch Cardiff whenever they were on the TV in the Premier League, but now they're in the same league there's nothing more than I want than to come away from Deepdale with three points on Saturday."

Hughes played the 90-minutes at Kenilworth Road last weekend as PNE drew 1-1 at Luton Town.

Having conceded late in the day, with Preston looking comfortable and on course for three points, the left-back knows the size of the upcoming clash.

He added: "Last Saturday was a bit of a disappointment but on the flip side, we played well so hopefully we can take that into this game.

"There's been times when we haven't played so well, won the game, and you're walking away buzzing because you're coming away with three points you probably didn't deserve.

"The game is massive, Cardiff played Leeds and looked good and the way the table is panning out, the game speaks for itself really with the magnitude of it.

"To have the first game at home will be a little strange but I'm sure everyone will be watching on TV and they'll still be there with us and supporting from a distance."
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

PNE's Andrew Hughes is desperate to beat his former side Car

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: PNE's Andrew Hughes is desperate to beat his former side

Postby HarriRhys22 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 am

Another youngster playing Championship football, we let go for nothing from our Academy!
HarriRhys22

Postby Abergavenny » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:37 am

According to wiki he is 28 I know it is not always right but if it is far from a youngster
Abergavenny

Postby Abergavenny » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am

Abergavenny wrote:According to wiki he is 28 I know it is not always right but if it is far from a youngster
Also no team has ever paid a penny for him
Abergavenny

Postby JJ1927 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Abergavenny wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:According to wiki he is 28 I know it is not always right but if it is far from a youngster

I remember him at Newport and he was OK but surprised he is playing for a top six championship side and certainly never considered him as someone we were daft to let go. Probably have a stormer now!
JJ1927

Postby skidemin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:39 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Another youngster playing Championship football, we let go for nothing from our Academy!

should defo have hung on to him and the 200 or so other kids released since just in case one is good enough to play for Preston 12 years later.
skidemin

Postby HarriRhys22 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm

skidemin wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:Another youngster playing Championship football, we let go for nothing from our Academy!

should defo have hung on to him and the 200 or so other kids released since just in case one is good enough to play for Preston 12 years later.

What a ridiculous statement! It’s about recognising the ones to retain which our Academy staff are not very good at! No players are coming through to our first team yet five rejected players are now playing for Championship clubs and one for a Premiership club!
HarriRhys22

Postby HarriRhys22 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Abergavenny wrote:

Preston bought him from Peterborough and he’s now valued at £1m + according to Transfermarket!
HarriRhys22

Postby LORD LUCAN’S LOAFERS » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 pm

let’s hope we are right up for this, as will caulks stated in his recent interview about the Leeds game “we really fancied it” let’s hope that same mentality is absolutely echoing around the training ground and dressing room as every single one of them will need to be ‘bang at it’ come on city :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: ‘UP AND AT ‘EM’
LORD LUCAN’S LOAFERS

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:34 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

What a ridiculous statement! It’s about recognising the ones to retain which our Academy staff are not very good at! No players are coming through to our first team yet five rejected players are now playing for Championship clubs and one for a Premiership club!

Harri, whilst I agree with your sentiment and that recognising talent is an art, unfortunately some players develop later than others. This could be down to physical attributes or just that they are mentally more receptive to learning, but as Skideman has said, we’d have a lot of youngsters on our books. It’s all part of the game and happens at every level of football. :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Postby Abergavenny » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:10 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:

Preston bought him from Peterborough and he’s now valued at £1m + according to Transfermarket!

He was a free transfer
Abergavenny

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Abergavenny wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:

He was a free transfer

You obviously can’t read Abergavenny, Wiki says he was transferred from Peterborough to Preston for an undisclosed fee NOT a free transfer?
HarriRhys22

Postby wez1927 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:07 pm

:lol:
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby moonboots » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:15 pm

skidemin wrote:

:lol: :lol:
moonboots

Return to General Chat