Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW:CARDIFF AFTER 2 CONSECUTIVE WINS, AGAINST STRUGGLIN

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION:

CARDIFF AFTER TWO CONSECUTIVE WINS, AGAINST STRUGGLING CHARLTON ATHELTIC TONIGHT, COULD ONLY MANAGE A BORING 0-0 DRAW.

CARDIFF HAD ONE SHOT ON TARGET ALL NIGHT / CHARLTON NONE.

But 7pts from 9pts is still good over all, but Charlton were there to be beaten and looked poor.

It took nearly 70 mins to see a goal-keeper make a save and it was a good one from the Charlton keeper after Adomah shot.

The last 20 mins Cardiff piled on some pressure, but wasted some good chances.

First-half: both goal-keepers had virtually nothing to do for the whole of the first-half, high light was Glatzel bang of heads with Sam from Charlton, sadly both went of injured. Quite boring.

Charlton fighting for their lives against being relegated.

Cardiff made 3 changes for tonight, with the visitors Charlton making 7 changes from their last matches.

CARDIFF CITY 0 CHARLTON 0 :bluebird: :bluebird:
H/T 0-0

Cardiff City :(4-3-3): Smithies; Sanderson, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Pack, Bacuna, Ralls; Adomah, Mendez-Laing, Glatzel

Subs: Etheridge, Flint, Bamba, Smith, Vaulks, Whyte Tomlin, Hoilett, Paterson

Cardiff were the better team for periods, but Charlton never stopped and defended well.

32nd min Glatzel banged heads with a Charlton player Sam Field, Glatzel was clearly shaken up. Blood coming from his forehead as the medical staff bandaged it up.
Field went off replaced by Darren Pratley.

42nd min, Glatzel went ff injured and was replaced by Paterson.

I dont remember a save from either goalies.

H/T 0-0

The game continued like it was in the first-half, quite dire.

No one striking at goal from either side, the game was so close, nothing in it.

Charlton nearly scored, but thanks to Nelson blocking the ball, it was on its way in.

Charlton made two subs.

Then Harris took Bacuna off, Tomlin came on.

Mendez-Laing went off, Hoilett came on.

First proper save came after nearly 70 mins.

Joe Ralls slid in, Adomah and the winger swung a left foot at it and sent it across goal, but Phillips stuck out a big left hand!

What a chance by Cardiff! A cross was fired in from Adomah and Hoilett, unmarked controled it just yards from goal. He swiveled it and hits it but it flew over the bar!
Unbelievable miss.

Cardiff had a free kick

Well welll over the bar by Lee Tomlin, like a rugby kick :shock: :shock:

85th min Ralls came off, Vaulks on.

City attacked but another chance went missing.

My man of the match Nelson or Adomah :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW:CARDIFF AFTER 2 CONSECUTIVE WINS, AGAINST STRUGG

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm

May looked poor but have won past two games so take 7 out 9 points upwards onwards :bluescarf:

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very disappointing to not win this.

But I'll give Charlton credit, they defended very well.

Big game at Bristol City on Saturday now.

Very fortunate with other results today, means we'll stay 6th.

Could do with a draw in the Preston v Derby match tomorrow - if that happens, nothing will have really changed.

Seven points from our first three games back is still very good.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:02 pm

7 from 9 really good. Especially considering who we've played.

Except Chalton who are shite

:)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Should have gone all out on them from the start and played 3 at the back. They came for a draw and got it easily

Thought hoilett was poor when he came on tonight. And alot of packs passing was over hit. Mom hard choice tonight with no standout

Foghorn65 wrote:7 from 9 really good. Especially considering who we've played.

I think it's 2 points lost
Soured 2 great wins

Don’t know why Pack started, he gave the ball away time and time again. Nelson was the only positive tonight. If we knew we would take 7 from 9 points mind I think we all would have been happy with that. :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:04 pm

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Foghorn65 wrote:7 from 9 really good. Especially considering who we've played.

I think it's 2 points lost
Soured 2 great wins

I have to agree with Thomas, 2pts lost.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Need to overhaul Forest

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Toothless.

Lacked the runners from midfield. Paterson isolated and coming too deep. Although could've had a tap in if Adomah had only squared.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Paterson is a black hole of footballing ability, as we leave Warnockball he looks like a full back trying to get to a few flick ons with nobody around him as a desperate last 5 mins stand

I get we need to rest with so many games, but Pack just kills us and I am still waiting for Adomah to do something.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:12 pm

Too many players unable to do the basics.
Paterson in particular cannot play football.
All had an off day but the set up was wrong playing a team obviously playing for a point.
Disappointed with Harris’ selections tonight.
Thankfully we won’t have to suffer Adomah again. (Why pick him?)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Replies on FB

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Replies on FB

Poor performance tonight, we really do struggle to break teams down who park the bus

But 7pts from 9 is still good and we all would have settled for that 10 days ago, but a win tonight would have put us in a really strong position with Blackburn losing and Derby playing Preston tomorrow when at least one of them would drop points

Charlton got what they wanted out of the game. 7 from 9 is good but I feel we dropped 2 pts tonight from a struggling Charlton. Onwards to our old friends the bandit-bashing Wurzels.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 pm

Reply FB

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 pm

Never that keen when Pack plays he is essentially a rather slow defensive player who gives you very little coming forward. We don't seem to create many chances when he plays. Need to play better than that with some tough looking fixtures coming up.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Replies FB

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Supposed we have been spoilt the last 2 games but as said above 7 from 9 is a great start back.Roll on the next.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Very poor tonight all round

A point is good, but is it enough

will we rue 2 points lost in a few weeks

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Replies FB

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Two points dropped today, while I think 7 out of 9 is a brilliant start that game was there for the taking today and it does slightly sour things. If something isn't broke we shouldn't have tried to fix it, I understand players needed a rest and Glatzel got unlucky with his injury but we should have stuck to what was working. Nothing much changed though due to other results so onwards and upwards! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Championship leaders Leeds being held by Luton

Wigan lead Stoke after Butland error
Brentford 3-0 winners at Reading to boost automatic promotion hopes
Fulham come from behind to beat QPR

Chaplin & Brown give Barnsley victory over Blackburn

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:40 pm

We can’t break down teams that just sit back and play on the break as we normally do! Charlton made 7 changes and came for a point and we just couldn’t break them down. The substitutes didn’t have an impact this time, 2 vital points lost!

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Cardiff City's Championship play-off push lost some of its momentum as they were held to a goalless draw at home by relegation-threatened Charlton Athletic.

BBC

Although both sides entered this fixture with a perfect record since the season's resumption, neither could muster a shot on target in a lifeless first half.

The second period was better, with Cardiff's on-loan winger Albert Adomah forcing Charlton goalkeeper Dillon Phillips into a fine save.

Junior Hoilett then blasted over for the hosts, who always looked likeliest to force a breakthrough, but the visitors dug in for a point.

Cardiff keep hold of the final play-off spot as they remain sixth in the table, though their four-point cushion could be reduced when seventh-placed Preston host Derby on Wednesday.

For Charlton, meanwhile, a third game without defeat edges them further away from the relegation zone, with the Addicks now four points clear of the bottom three.

This point at Cardiff City Stadium could prove useful for Lee Bowyer's side in their fight for survival, whereas his counterpart Neil Harris will undoubtedly view it as a squandered opportunity.

And unlike November's dramatic 2-2 draw at the Valley in this season's reverse fixture - Harris' first game in charge of Cardiff - this was a match which never set pulses racing.

It might have been a different story, as both sides had resumed their campaigns in excellent form.

Cardiff climbed into the play-off places with wins over leaders Leeds and Preston, while Charlton clawed their way out of the relegation zone thanks to victories against Hull and Queens Park Rangers.

Robert Glatzel had scored as a substitute in each of Cardiff's wins and the tall German striker's reward was a return to the starting line-up as one of three changes - but his evening was cut short by a head injury.

With fixtures beginning to pile up, Charlton went further with their rotation as Bowyer made seven changes from the QPR victory.

Those wholesale alterations might have been a contributing factor to this game's disjointed nature.

The visitors created a couple of early half-openings for Andre Green but home goalkeeper Alex Smithies was not called into action.

The same was true for his opposite number Dillon Phillips, even if there were glimpses of attacking threat from Bluebirds wingers Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - another who came off the bench to score at Preston - and Adomah.

Any hope either side had of generating momentum was then halted by a long stoppage as Glatzel and Charlton's Sam Field clashed heads and received lengthy treatment before both being forced off the field.

The first half drifted to its goalless conclusion, and the second was similarly short on excitement.

Charlton had the first chance of sorts after an hour as their Wales international centre-back Tom Lockyer fired a dangerous low cross inside the Cardiff penalty area, but it was well blocked by Curtis Nelson.

Then on 67 minutes, the game finally had its first shot on target as Joe Ralls' through ball found Adomah, whose low left-footed effort across goal was well palmed away by Phillips.

Adomah then found Hoilett with an excellent pass, but the substitute winger rushed his shot and fired it over.

That was the last of Cardiff's scoring opportunities on a frustrating evening for the hosts and their play-off aspirations, but one which could prove valuable to Charlton's hopes of avoiding an instant return to League One.