Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Marlon Pack

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm

What an awful buy, surely that’s the last 4 out of 10 performance he puts in yet still finishes 90 minutes. He loses the ball in midfield and has to be saved like vaulks did late today or when he nearly gave Swansea the goal in the derby, doesn’t even have the legs to then get back (which is why Sanderson had to take a card when Charlton broke) or press which is how we won the last two games and his long range passes always end up in touch. No club will touch him with a 10 foot pole in the summer and he’ll end up leaving on a free eventually like Madine did

Re: Marlon Pack

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

The way he's been used the last couple of games - coming on towards the end of the game to shore things up and see out the game is really about the best we can get out of him now I think.

Certainly doesn't look like he can provide a productive 90 minutes.

Thought Harris got it wrong tonight - should have started with the same team that started on Saturday and changed it later on. I guess he wanted to rest some players but that backfired a bit tonight.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Jord1927 wrote:What an awful buy, surely that’s the last 4 out of 10 performance he puts in yet still finishes 90 minutes. He loses the ball in midfield and has to be saved like vaulks did late today or when he nearly gave Swansea the goal in the derby, doesn’t even have the legs to then get back (which is why Sanderson had to take a card when Charlton broke) or press which is how we won the last two games and his long range passes always end up in touch. No club will touch him with a 10 foot pole in the summer and he’ll end up leaving on a free eventually like Madine did

is Pack paying randoms to fight him as well ?

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm

Why Harris started him i'll never know. Offers nothing and spends the entire game marking and chasing Sean Morrison and Curtis Nelson. Praised by people for his passing when in reality its no better than Vaulks, Ralls or Bacuna's passing range. Quite frankly im sure you could find an Under 23 player like Sam Bowen who could do the job Marlon Pack does.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Don't know what's happened to him.

In his first few games for us, he was one of our best players. Always seemed comfortable in the midfield.

But he's gone down rapidly, and is nowhere near the level of Bacuna, Vaulks and Ralls.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Pack in the summer should be sent packing

Nowhere near good enough for this level now.

Offers nothing for me

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Money

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 am

Citysince72 wrote:Pack in the summer should be sent packing

Offers nothing for me

I disagree that he offers nothing as he can certainly do a job at times.
Unfortunately that job is not at home to Charlton when we need 3 points!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 am

I think we are being a bit harsh on him, this is a complicated time. We had one eye on 9 games, that hopefully led to 3 more games. 12 games in 7 week is a lot considering what we expect out midfielders to do. There's no point getting to the play offs with a knackered patched up first 11. The playoffs are not the goal, promotion is, the playoffs are merely a vehicle to get to your goal because we didn't do enough to deserve automatic.

Pack has barely played since Christmas. I never knew why Warnock bought him except he is a big unit and has a reputation as a bit of a passer. Our 1st midfield 3 are mobile, fit and aggressive. They are no worse or better passers or tacklers than Marlon but to win the second ball you have to get to it, they do. We seem to be protecting Joe Ralls, probably as our only genuine left footed midfield option, so we are sharing the load between the 4 of them.

Hindsight is wonderful, perhaps it would have been better to start with the end formation with Tomlin as an AMC and 2 holders. I do think that is Packs only position for us as he can't do it in a three a bit more forward.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:11 am

Offers nothing for me

You can’t blame one player for that terrible performance, the only players that came out with any credit were Nelson,Morrison and Smithies. The rest were all very poor against a Charlton team that made 7 changes!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:41 am

I know mate

Only Nelson turned up for me

I just don't think he offers anything different to what we have, I find he also slows play down when we need to be more forward thinking.

I'm going to be controversial here,

Patterson, now I know he gives his all, but he's not good enough, he wins headers but they go nowhere, never looks like scoring (I know he's scored a few) but let's face it he ain't no striker.

And going forward as we know, we need a decent striker

I like the guy but he's league 1 at best, just my opinion don't shoot me as I know he's a club icon to many

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:

Offers nothing for me

You can’t blame one player for that terrible performance, the only players that came out with any credit were Nelson,Morrison and Smithies. The rest were all very poor against a Charlton team that made 7 changes!

it was an awful performance against Charlton reserves...

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 pm

If NW keeps up Boro he’ll get a 2 yr contract and Warnock
will take Bamba, Pack, Ward and maybe a few others.

Oh well I can only hope.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 pm

I am disappointed with Pack also. Seems to try the "Hollywood pass" even when there's a simple option that would keep play moving faster.

I don't think he's terrible, and he's a nice guy, but just doesn't fit the way we play. We need someone far quicker in there as the half-back. I can understand why he played as Charlton like to play two up front and play very narrow football. He did okay positioning himself to stop their counter attack but on the ball he is too slow.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 pm

I have not rated this guy from day one , The worzels must be laughing their head off and glad to get rid this was a total panic buy to replace Gunnerson but sadly he is no where near Gunnerson.

We always play better without him he cant tackle and his passing is terrible , why we change a winning formula I will never know if it aint broke leave it alone

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I have not rated this guy from day one , The worzels must be laughing their head off and glad to get rid this was a total panic buy to replace Gunnerson but sadly he is no where near Gunnerson.

We always play better without him he cant tackle and his passing is terrible , why we change a winning formula I will never know if it aint broke leave it alone

I would have kept the same team yesterday too. but looking around we were not the only ones to rotate.. Charlton themselves changed 7 after 2 wins and I think Luton also made 7 changes after a win and draw..