Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A Poem For The Working Class

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:06 am

I am a white, working class bloke who grew up in poverty in the South Wales valleys - no one is going to tell me that I have white privilege. I have thought for a long time now that the distinction we have accepted between left and right is there to divide us - as is the whole Woke culture. This poem made me cry because it expresses everything I have been feeling about politics for bloody ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hxf4Yxfx0

Re: A Poem For The Working Class

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 am

Fantastic

What a brilliant piece of work.

I really enjoyed that and he speaks for what all us normal folk feel

Brilliant.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:36 am

What white privilege?
Most of us came from families who lived in virtual slavery for 100's of years. They just got on with it. We accept history and by learning about the true history of our country can ensure we strive to improve things for our children and grandchildren. Not use incidents/practices that died out 100's of years ago to justify violence, robbery and an excuse not to work.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 am

This white privilege nonsense baffles me

I grew up in a council estate, abusive father, mother that struggled on the breadline with 3 of us

1 pair of school shoes and clothes per term, other peoples hand me downs

Warming by the oven as the electric run out (50p metres then)

Runny porridge made with water, basic cheap food

Council pop not coke & squash etc

Had to do 3 paper rounds to follow Cardiff

And most of my white friends lived exactly the same.

And the boy who had the best house, trendiest clothes in my estate, his parents who give a dam about him was black, no one thought anything of it as colour didn't mean a thing to us. We are all just human after all.

And they just like the poorer people got on just fine

White privilige certainly wasn't around in South Wales when I was growing up in the 70s & 80s

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Citysince72 wrote:This white privilege nonsense baffles me

I grew up in a council estate, abusive father, mother that struggled on the breadline with 3 of us

And the boy who had the best house, trendiest clothes in my estate, his parents who give a dam about him was black, no one thought anything of it as colour didn't mean a thing to us. We are all just human after all.

White privilige certainly wasn't around in South Wales when I was growing up in the 70s & 80s

I also lived on a council estate and can relate to everything you say. When things got bad we used to get coal from the tip on the mountain and the gas and electric were both on the fiddle. We had only one black family living on the estate and the eldest boy was built like a brick shithouse. When he played rugby, we used to call him 'Tanko'. The idea of race never occured to me - and I have never been racist. I also had a mate who was gay and I have never been homophobic.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 pm

Exactly the same as me mate

Colour should never be an issue for any normal thinking human being.

My attitude is live and let live

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Borders Blue wrote:I am a white, working class bloke who grew up in poverty in the South Wales valleys - no one is going to tell me that I have white privilege. I have thought for a long time now that the distinction we have accepted between left and right is there to divide us - as is the whole Woke culture. This poem made me cry because it expresses everything I have been feeling about politics for bloody ages.

white privilege really grinds my gears.. the people saying it really have no inclination of how ordinary people who didn't particularly see them selves as poor have lived and really not that long ago.... damp in bedrooms, single glazed often broken wooden sash windows, no family car no landline , no colour tv, no fridge no central heating... ice on the inside of windows in the winter.. they come on here telling people who have lived through 10 times worse how deprived some of our community are as if we were all born into todays world / conditions... B E A U T S

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:17 pm

skidemin wrote:
Borders Blue wrote:I am a white, working class bloke who grew up in poverty in the South Wales valleys - no one is going to tell me that I have white privilege. I have thought for a long time now that the distinction we have accepted between left and right is there to divide us - as is the whole Woke culture. This poem made me cry because it expresses everything I have been feeling about politics for bloody ages.

white privilege really grinds my gears.. the people saying it really have no inclination of how ordinary people who didn't particularly see them selves as poor have lived and really not that long ago.... damp in bedrooms, single glazed often broken wooden sash windows, no family car no landline , no colour tv, no fridge no central heating... ice on the inside of windows in the winter.. they come on here telling people who have lived through 10 times worse how deprived some of our community are as if we were all born into todays world / conditions... B E A U T S

Spot on mate

The days when no landline, we had to go out and knock for people to see them.

Shared bath water

Ice cream van coming round and having no money for ice cream.

Never asked what you wanted for tea, you had what you were given. If you didn't like it you went without.

Going out for food then was pretty unheard of

Only the mega rich could do that haha

Must have been 5 or 6 and thought I was in heaven when I had connect 4 for Christmas.

My mother knitted me a jumper with Cardiff City on it, I wore that jumper to it's death

Money can't buy that

But has it harmed us

Not a chance, I value money, take care off all i have, morals, standards, respect

We were certainly not privallaged but we learnt life long lessons.

Unlike todays brainwashed youth

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:56 pm

:clap:

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Speaks well for many ex-Labour voters before they descended into political purity. Trouble is, too many on the left have never grafted, just talked. BLM would have been seen as extremists by Labour of old..

Worked at Redcar once.. very cold, great people up there...

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 pm

Sad but true.

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch the 4 Yorkshiremen.

One upmanship...

"We were happy in those days because we were poor..."

:)

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Jeez you were lucky ....

We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean out the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t’mill, fourteen hours a day, week in week out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Luxury...

My Dad would beat me round the head and neck with a broken bottle...

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Luxury...

My Dad would beat me round the head and neck with a broken bottle...

Yeah ..... if we were lucky

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:08 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean out the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t’mill, fourteen hours a day, week in week out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

if you had a better life lucky you.......that's not my life or experience so dismiss it...

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 am

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:12 am

Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

mate..i never saw myself as poor because most everyone I knew was the same... and I wouldn't go back and change much either.. and that's the point.. the have nots now have a hell of a lot more than we had.. and we had more than our parents ,who in my case grew up during the war and for years had rationing.. didn't seem to have an adverse effect on us or them... we accepted ...

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 am

skidemin wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

mate..i never saw myself as poor because most everyone I knew was the same... and I wouldn't go back and change much either.. and that's the point.. the have nots now have a hell of a lot more than we had.. and we had more than our parents ,who in my case grew up during the war and for years had rationing.. didn't seem to have an adverse effect on us or them... we accepted ...

Definitely, back then we never knew we were poor because everyone around us was in the same boat,

I wouldn't change anything, it's made me stand up on my 2 feet, taught me morals, standards and respect for others and look after myself and my family, .look after what you have etc

I'm divorced and have equal access to my 9 year old,

His mum gives him whatever he wants, I dont

He has to earn it, yet he still loves coming to me as I give him the best thing of all

Time & love, that's all they need not all the new mod cons

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 am

Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

:lol: :lol:

Shut up ya dick!

That’s a famous Monty Python sketch and you thought I wrote it?!
:lol:

Try getting a sense of humour instead of wallowing in the past.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:10 pm

Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

Shut up ya dick!

Wallowing, it was 30 odd years ago DICK

WHO is wallowing Dick

It was a dig at white privilege DICK

past is gone DICK

And humour, now I could have come back with many little funny replies.

As I'm a very humorous chap, but couldn't be arsed

I know it is, I've seen the sketch many times

Bit dated now though isn't it DICK

easy to name call isn't it DICK

Although name calling is a tad childish DICK

Wouldn't you agree

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:59 pm

I remember a joke told by Owen Money, I think - many years ago. This family was so poor that they couldn't afford an 'eiderdown' for their two children but had a coat on the bed instead. The mother told the kids that this coat was their eiderdown and that's what they should call it. She was a little ashamed that they couldn't afford proper bedding. Anyway, one day the kids were playing in the bedroom and the coat was damaged. Meanwhile the mother had people visiting downstairs - when one of the children ran down and shouted Mummy, Mummy, the sleeve's fallen off the eiderdown!!' Yes, I know; it's the way I tell 'em - otherwise they could be funny (or maybe not). Someone said that being poor wasn't so bad - and I agree, when everyone else is in the same boat - but you still can't tell us that we had white privilege. Anyway, what inspired me most about the poem was that it kicked against this left-right barrier that divides the working class. I haven't accepted the distinction for a long time and I wish it wasn't there.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Citysince72 wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

Shut up ya dick!

WHO is wallowing Dick

past is gone DICK

Wouldn't you agree

Comedy gold mate, you obviously thought I wrote it from your reply!

Try getting a bit of humour like the foghorn poster, he got it right away.

One pair of shoes, hand me downs, cry me a f*cking river. :lol:

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

Shut up ya dick!

yes it was monty python.... based on people going to the extreme to out do each other re being poor..
not what ive read on this thread...
no I didn't live in a paper bag.. or have Nike trainers, a Stone island jumper or an I phone 26

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Citysince72 wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:

Jeez you were lucky ....

Comedy is an art, that

You clearly dont have.

Shut up ya dick!

WHO is wallowing Dick

past is gone DICK

Wouldn't you agree

Comedy gold mate, you obviously thought I wrote it from your reply!

Try getting a bit of humour like the foghorn poster, he got it right away.

One pair of shoes, hand me downs, cry me a f*cking river. :lol:

and no...sorry foghorn... but foghorn doesn't get anything its all a joke apart from corona virus which is 100 times more deadly than the plague... … how can it be funny being told your talking from a position of white privilege , explain how and why you are not ,only for it to be belittled and ridiculed...

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Borders Blue wrote:I remember a joke told by Owen Money, I think - many years ago. This family was so poor that they couldn't afford an 'eiderdown' for their two children but had a coat on the bed instead. The mother told the kids that this coat was their eiderdown and that's what they should call it. She was a little ashamed that they couldn't afford proper bedding. Anyway, one day the kids were playing in the bedroom and the coat was damaged. Meanwhile the mother had people visiting downstairs - when one of the children ran down and shouted Mummy, Mummy, the sleeve's fallen off the eiderdown!!' Yes, I know; it's the way I tell 'em - otherwise they could be funny (or maybe not). Someone said that being poor wasn't so bad - and I agree, when everyone else is in the same boat - but you still can't tell us that we had white privilege. Anyway, what inspired me most about the poem was that it kicked against this left-right barrier that divides the working class. I haven't accepted the distinction for a long time and I wish it wasn't there.

It was Billy Connolly mate.

Classic.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:41 pm

I was poorer than that boy in Kes. He could afford to feed his falcon whereas i used to take my goldfish for a drive around our living room which was also our kitchen. Beat that!

Rhondda boys needn't try, i believe u can lol

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Feel guilty now. Im the child of a infant school teacher and a bricklayer so never felt any poverty ever. We holidayed once a year. I bet i could prob ask my mam for £50 and she'll give me it....

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:
Borders Blue wrote:I remember a joke told by Owen Money, I think - many years ago. This family was so poor that they couldn't afford an 'eiderdown' for their two children but had a coat on the bed instead. The mother told the kids that this coat was their eiderdown and that's what they should call it. She was a little ashamed that they couldn't afford proper bedding. Anyway, one day the kids were playing in the bedroom and the coat was damaged. Meanwhile the mother had people visiting downstairs - when one of the children ran down and shouted Mummy, Mummy, the sleeve's fallen off the eiderdown!!' Yes, I know; it's the way I tell 'em - otherwise they could be funny (or maybe not). Someone said that being poor wasn't so bad - and I agree, when everyone else is in the same boat - but you still can't tell us that we had white privilege. Anyway, what inspired me most about the poem was that it kicked against this left-right barrier that divides the working class. I haven't accepted the distinction for a long time and I wish it wasn't there.

It was Billy Connolly mate.

Classic.

Yes - of course. I used to have at least three of his albums - no idea where they are now.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:11 pm

ThomasC wrote:I was poorer than that boy in Kes. He could afford to feed his falcon whereas i used to take my goldfish for a drive around our living room which was also our kitchen. Beat that!

:laughing6:

Some drama queens on here aye

Grangetown boy myself mate. Had f**k all when I was young but I kept my sense of humour for sure.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:41 pm

ThomasC wrote:I was poorer than that boy in Kes. He could afford to feed his falcon whereas i used to take my goldfish for a drive around our living room which was also our kitchen. Beat that!

:laughing6:

Some drama queens on here aye

Grangetown boy myself mate. Had f**k all when I was young but I kept my sense of humour for sure.

you'd be very streetwise growing up round there mate! yeah, I think there is a big difference between 'working class' and 'dysfunctional' families. Working class parents back in the day could raise kids easier than now!! i'm sure there was free school meals when I was at school :ayatollah: