Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Nathan Blake: “ Lee Tomlin “

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 am

Cardiff City must start Lee Tomlin against Bristol City, it's like having a million dollar chip which you don't cash in

By Nathan Blake

Thursday 2nd July 2020

Seven points out of nine, two big wins over Leeds and Preston, what could yet prove to be a crucial draw against Charlton - Cardiff City post lockdown have certainly started like a house on fire and hauled themselves into pole position when it comes to the play-off places.

Credit where it's due. I have always argued this season the Bluebirds, for a variety of reasons, would probably finish around eighth in the table.

But I'm changing my mind. It's like they were able to press the re-set button because of the enforced break and have come back out of the blocks quicker than their immediate top six rivals.

Suddenly they are in there, have a bit of a cushion and it's going to be hard for the others dreaming of the play-offs to displace City.

The win over Leeds was impressive, the performance in beating Preston like a moment of wonderful fresh air - control of the game, passing the ball, lots of energy. It's the style of play we have been crying out for this season and it just shows, doesn't it, these Bluebirds can play that way, rather than just lump it up, get up the pitch, try to win the second ball.

I'm not saying I expect Manchester City football from these Cardiff players, but they are certainly good enough to produce patterns and triangles, stretch teams with fast free-flowing football, whilst also remaining defensively resolute.

Ask the players and I guarantee you they'd rather adopt those methods than an out of date route one approach. Preston needs to be the template for the remaining six games as the Bluebirds look to get over the play-off line.

Yet Neil Harris still has one huge ace to play, the thought of which will terrify the others seeking to overhaul the Bluebirds, and that comes in the shape of Lee Tomlin.

Another huge bonus for Cardiff is that whereas they thought they'd lost Tomlin for the season with a bad knee injury, the unexpected break has enabled him to regain fitness.

He simply has to come into the team for Bristol City this weekend.

Why? Because Tomlin was Cardiff's talisman before getting injured, can provide that creative spark and those moments of magic which are beyond others in the team. He can become the talisman again in these remaining games.

My guess is that were Harris to have his time again, he'd have started Tomlin ahead of Marlon Pack against Charlton. His inventiveness, ability to put someone through, was clearly needed in that game.

That moment has gone, but I really hope Harris acts and plays Tomlin from the start at Ashton Gate.

It's his old club, he'll have a bit to prove, football is littered with players going back to their former teams and doing well against them.

I can certainly see that with Tomlin this weekend. I can understand Cardiff starting him as a substitute in the first two games, although it should have been with a view to Tomlin being in the first XI against Charlton, then Bristol.

This is the beauty of it though. Cardiff played so well against Preston and also beat the league leaders Leeds - yet Tomlin didn't really feature that much.

It's like having a one million dollar chip in your hand and you're yet to cash it in. That's the value of Tomlin to Cardiff. He's the ace in the pack.

When you have a player of that quality in the line-up, it lifts the others around him.

So who drops out, you may well ask, from Joe Ralls, Will Vaulks and Leandro Bacuna, who each played so well at Preston?

I don't think it really matters, is the honest answer to that. They can each play the holding midfield role, if necessary. They can each play the kind of number eight role where they charge box to box, if necessary.

Any two of those three, with Tomlin just ahead of them, is the way to go. Harris should rotate as he sees fit to keep legs fresh, energy levels high.

But there are only six games to go. Get your talisman in there - and do it double quick. The other two midfield players have the athleticism to be able to cover anything Tomlin may lack defensively.

More importantly, he will drop into those little pockets of space to pick up the ball, look around and has the vision to release a Mendez-Laing, Junior Hoilett or, hopefully, a fit again Josh Murphy.

Cardiff lack that quality when Tomlin is not playing. With him in the side, and the likes of Ralls, Bacuna or Vaulks running from midfield beyond the striker, they will stretch teams far more than we have seen for the majority of this season.

Tomlin also seems to be on the same wavelength as Robert Glatzel, who scored against Leeds and Preston and thus has some confidence and momentum behind him. We know how strong Cardiff are defensively, but we need to see goals from the front three - with the number nine being the spearhead of that.

Even in promotion winning years Cardiff strikers struggled to get into double figures. Let's be honest, if you go up you'd normally expect your front man to have bagged 20-plus goals, but in Cardiff's case it's not even been 10.

That's because of the style of play in recent years. It's been effective, but it doesn't really turn me on.

But it's not too much to ask for greater free-flowing football, with those moments of magic Tomlin can produce and what we witnessed at Preston has definitely shown the way forward.

Cardiff have put themselves into a really strong position, with their play-off fate firmly in their own hands, and it's about having the nous to see that through.

A big part of that is the manager's team selection, how he utilises his squad and what he does with Tomlin.

I think that Tomlin effect will drive them to a 2-0 win at Ashton Gate because he performs at such a level it should be enough to win the game.

If so, it will merely reinforce Cardiff's position inside that top six and pile even more pressure upon their rivals who are suddenly playing catch up.

The Bluebirds have had a magnificent start to the new mini season, so to speak, and keeping the momentum going this weekend is crucial.

But however good they have been, they still have that Tomlin ace to play. That's some position to be in, you know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Nathan Blake: “ Lee Tomlin “

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:22 am

Well said.

Tomlin must start the remaining games. He has the genius touch.

I'll never forget the quote about him from another player...

" If you make a run and think I can't see you, don't worry I'll find you".

Talk about gifted.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:56 am

Foghorn65 wrote:Well said.

Talk about gifted.

He’s not fit enough to play 90 minutes so I think he’s better coming on in the second half, Mendez showed he couldn’t play for 90 minutes against Charlton!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:23 am

I watched the high lights of the bristol city game last night. They played very well and were unlucky to lose.
us v them has a draw written all over it as we'll cancel each other out.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:31 am

For me Tomlin has to start, key player, key game BLOOBIRDS

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

He’s not fit enough to play 90 minutes so I think he’s better coming on in the second half, Mendez showed he couldn’t play for 90 minutes against Charlton!

Point taken but rather him on from the start, work his magic, go 2 up then take him off at half time

:)

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

Point taken but rather him on from the start, work his magic, go 2 up then take him off at half time

Of course he’s fit enough. How the hell does he get fit otherwise?
He should have started against Charlton and if he faded late on he could have been subbed. That’s 75 or so minutes under his belt.

You don’t keep your best player constantly on the bench especially when our creativity against Charlton was so poor.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:32 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Foghorn65 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

He should have started against Charlton and if he faded late on he could have been subbed. That’s 75 or so minutes under his belt.

You don’t keep your best player constantly on the bench especially when our creativity against Charlton was so poor.

hmmm...of course he is fit..
he has spent the best part of 3 years not being fit...enough ??????

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:24 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

How do you know this? He was as fit and hardworking as anyone in the squad before the break. Even if he's at that level he's got a good 60 minutes in him. Agree with mendez though, great impact player but over 90 mins, no.

I agree quite the OP. Get him in the pitch!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:24 pm

skidemin wrote:
Foghorn65 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

Nonsense, he’s played loads this season before the injury prior to lockdown and been one of the best players.
Been training for weeks with three sub appearances.
But yeah keep our best player on the bench!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:32 pm

nubbsy wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

How do you know this? He was as fit and hardworking as anyone in the squad before the break. Even if he's at that level he's got a good 60 minutes in him. Agree with mendez though, great impact player but over 90 mins, no.

Spot on nubbsy he’s the creative spark we need and he’ll be up for it against his old club.

Whether Harris is adventurous enough to start him is another point though.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm

skidemin wrote:
Foghorn65 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

Nonsense, he’s played loads this season before the injury prior to lockdown and been one of the best players.
Been training for weeks with three sub appearances.
But yeah keep our best player on the bench!

well since my post the manager has spoken.. I suggest you catch up..
obviously if he was fully fit he would play more...

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:21 pm

nubbsy wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Talk about gifted.

I thought he was injured before the break.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:46 pm

Don’t play Paterson.

That’s as important as playing Tomlin.

Paterson is next to useless as a centre forward. In the 3 games he’s participated since lockdown he has been incompetent and a passenger. I don’t care that he’s a nuisance or puts himself about; at the end of the day Flint would do a better job up top. So would Ward or even Murphy playing just to receive Tomlin’s passes if Glatzel is unfit.

Why Ward was not on the bench v Charlton was ridiculous.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:37 pm

I noticed the headline on wol was cardiff city "legend" again,I hate the term used for people who were certainly not classed in the legend bracket :banghead: :old: :bluebird:

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I agree with Nathan if he is fit play him and subsitute him if he is running out of steam. I would like to see Ward given a run out too if Glatzel is injured. Patterson is going through a spell which shows why he was never a forward in the first place.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Crayfish wrote:I agree with Nathan if he is fit play him and subsitute him if he is running out of steam. I would like to see Ward given a run out too if Glatzel is injured. Patterson is going through a spell which shows why he was never a forward in the first place.

My view as well but it comes down to Harris and if he’s adventurous enough to go for it instead of keeping it tight.
Whatever his reasons Tomlin is fit enough to start.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm

I’d expect Tomlin , Pack and possibly even Flint to play against Bristol - Providing they’re first of course.

( not what I’d do but I think it’s possible )

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Danny what is your issue with Patterson ? ffs get off his back he is the best striker we have and he has proved it he gives defenders nightmares he knackers them out for even Glatzel to score he also scored goals and kept us in the fight in the premiership so your attack on him I feel is totally unfair.

Tomlin is brilliant coming off the bench as is Glatzel when defenders are tired results have proved it

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Tomlin probably not 100% fit.You dpn't need to be a rocket scientist to work that one out. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: