Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Crowds to return to football in the stadiums “

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Test events are set to be held as early as this month in preparation for certain sports to potentially open their doors to fans in August.

Football.London report that the events will be held under an observation programme with plans in place to open doors to fans for the first time in August should everything go to plan. Certain sports, which could well include the Premier League and the EFL, will be allowed to let fans into games for the first time in August..

Re: “ Crowds to return to football in the stadiums “

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Football.London reports that the events will be held under an observation programme with plans in place to open doors to fans for the first time in August should everything go to plan.

Certain sports, which could well include the Premier League and the EFL, will be allowed to let fans into games for the first time in August.

It is anticipated that all sports would then be allowed to welcome fans into stadiums in late August and early September, with strict social distancing restrictions in place.

That means that stadiums would not be allowed to open at full capacity at the start of next season - which would obviously impact the level of crowds allowed at a Premier League and Championship level.

However, the news will hand a boost to EFL clubs that rely more heavily on gate receipts than those in the Premier League.

How stadiums will realistically look at a reduced capacity is currently unknown but it will likely mean empty seats between fans in a similar way to how substitutes have been spaced out at behind-closed-doors matches since football's resumption.

The start date for next season has not been revealed as of yet but it is anticipated that there will be a quick turnaround after the end of this campaign in order to lessen the impact the three-month break for the coronavirus will have had on the football calendar.

With this campaign set to finish at the end of July and the Champions League held in August, it is currently expected that next season will start in early September.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 pm

33k capacity stadium means we'd have a max capacity of around 8k/9k I believe if it's 4 seats between people.
I suppose the easiest solution with ~18k season tickets is to allow only ST holders to attend and split it so a ST only counts for every other game. 9k one week, the other 9k the next.

As for the feasibility of this, it's hard to call but if pubs, restaurants, offices, etc are all expected to be open by July/August, socially distanced stadiums being open by September is a possibility.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:45 pm

How would it work with a family that live at the same property, surely they would not have to be spaced out & that would hopefully then lend itself to a greAter number of seats being available

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:53 pm

caegarwblue wrote:How would it work with a family that live at the same property, surely they would not have to be spaced out & that would hopefully then lend itself to a greAter number of seats being available

Good point which I'd not considered. It would be easy enough for the club to allocate seats together for these groups.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:33k capacity stadium means we'd have a max capacity of around 8k/9k I believe if it's 4 seats between people.
I suppose the easiest solution with ~18k season tickets is to allow only ST holders to attend and split it so a ST only counts for every other game. 9k one week, the other 9k the next.

As for the feasibility of this, it's hard to call but if pubs, restaurants, offices, etc are all expected to be open by July/August, socially distanced stadiums being open by September is a possibility.

Social distancing is supposedly going down to one metre I think so by August if things remain the same or better than now then it could possibly be every other seat I guess.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:36 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:33k capacity stadium means we'd have a max capacity of around 8k/9k I believe if it's 4 seats between people.

Social distancing is supposedly going down to one metre I think so by August if things remain the same or better than now then it could possibly be every other seat I guess.

That's what I was thinking too. Also, have we got 18K season tickets sold for next season?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:47 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. Also, have we got 18K season tickets sold for next season?

We have zero season tickets sold for next season mate.

People like myself have a credit for the next time season tickets go on sale but none as yet.
How many people actually purchase when they’re available remains to be seen at the moment.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:34 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

People like myself have a credit for the next time season tickets go on sale but none as yet.
How many people actually purchase when they’re available remains to be seen at the moment.

Sorry wasn't trying to be sarcastic mate. Even with the credits from this year plus any that renew / buy ST I think it'll be closer to 10k

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:45 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Sorry wasn't trying to be sarcastic mate. Even with the credits from this year plus any that renew / buy ST I think it'll be closer to 10k

Nah I didn’t take it that way at all mate.
Could be around 10k I guess but who knows?!!

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:27 am

I wonder if I can sit in Vincent's seat because he never uses it!

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:55 am

The biggest problem will be under the stands at halftime and at the end of the game

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Also need to take into account that many of our older fans, particularly those with underlying health conditions, may not risk attending until there is a vaccine. I fall into this category and not sure whether I will chance it at the moment.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:06 pm

davids wrote:I wonder if I can sit in Vincent's seat because he never uses it!

i'm sure if you use a wet wipe afterwards it shouldn't be a problem :roll: :lol:

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:23 pm

TERRYB wrote:Also need to take into account that many of our older fans, particularly those with underlying health conditions, may not risk attending until there is a vaccine. I fall into this category and not sure whether I will chance it at the moment.

that could be forever and a day though..

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:53 am

Surely there has to be no alcohol on sale at the grounds.
Anyone looking like they are drunk refused entry.
Limited food - the queues are bad enough when it was normal - a socially distanced queue with us would stretch back to Canton.
Open up the Tan Stand for people fit enough to climb the stairs.
No away support

Anyone else get the feeling that the Govt will do a few trials - and see if the infection rate goes up or not. Basically using people as guinea pigs.

Unless something changes then clubs will either have to cease trading or more likely staff laid off as no longer needed , and players take a 50% pay cut. I read the wage bill for championship and premiership clubs is something like 85% of the turnover of a club. Most businesses - wages are about 15-20% - so it doesnt take a genius to work out what will happen next. Players take a cut or clubs will go to the wall unfortunately

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:26 pm

I think the way we're going it will become the case that if you are older or have other illness you'll need to be careful and look out for yourself until a vaccination arrives.
Only 2 in ever 100 deaths are people under 50. Unless hospital emissions start to rise I only see more and more restrictions lifted.