Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who should be regulating football?

You may select 1 option

View results

" Is football still capable of regulating itself? "

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:12 am

Following the situation at Wigan Athletic, many have been asking the question whether football is capable of regulating itself anymore.

Politicians on all sides and from all political parties have been asking this question. One of them is Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham, who has a conversation about this situation with a Wigan fan - you can see the video below.

But it's not just politicians asking the question - it's people from all walks of life.

So my questions are these, do you think football is still capable of regulating itself?

Should it instead be regulated by the Government or an independent body?

Just to add.. I would please request that people don't turn this into another left wing v right wing debate, because that's not what this is intended to be about. As I say, this opinion has been put forward by politicians and people in all walks of life.

I've included the interview with the Mayor of Greater Manchester as he's the most high profile figure who has spoken in length about it. In his interview, he says the situation at Wigan "looks dodgy."

Re: " Is football still capable of regulating itself? "

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:21 am

The national sport should have national solutions and regulation; it seems those in the corridors of footballing leadership aren't actually up to the job when the real world enters the fray! :(

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:08 am

You can't have government near anything for me. This is not about left or right its about pointless, useless civil servants, because that who the government really is.

We live in a free market society and there will always be winners and losers. Watching Portsmouth yesterday demonstrated that even after appalling financial management you may rise from the ashes.

The Man Citehs, Wolves, Chelsea's are playthings of the uber rich , they are the 0.001% ers. Others like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs are trying to raise the value of the asset as an investment strategy. The premier leagues wealth will alway be a lure for those who have too much to spend, but fancy having even more. Its their gamble. I don't see fans owned club rising about L1 as the championship is a stratospheric different level. The best one's may yoyo between L1 and the championship because when the next Vinnie Tan or Fosun group decide they want a bit of the premier league pie it's almost impossible to compete.

Local or regional normal "rich" have always bought the local club and mostly failed,lost money and had to sell to another to do the same thing.

Life is unfair.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm

seems very political to me...