Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Neil Harris says Mehmet Dalman has made it clear "

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 pm

Neil Harris: Mehmet (Dalman, the chairman) has been very clear and honest that, at the moment, it's sit-tight time for everybody, let's see what unfolds.

By Glen Williams

Saturday 4th July 2020

As Joe Ralls puts it, there wasn't any other player Cardiff City supporters would want to see on the end of that 85th-minute Lee Tomlin pass than Danny Ward.

He has had to wait patiently for his chance after the restart, having suffered from a training-ground calf injury, but when he was given his chance, boy did he take it.

With the game locked at 0-0, Tomlin released the City marksman and, without taking a look at the goal, he rifled his chance into the bottom corner.

Will that sight become a thing of the past, though?

Ward's contract is up at the end of this campaign, after the player had agreed to sign a short-term extension until the end of the season.

He has seen fellow team-mates Matthew Connolly, Omar Bogle and Jazz Richards leave this week, but Ward's future is one which stirs many a conversation among City fans.

And while football's finances have, of course, been hit by the impact of coronavirus, Harris didn't hide his desire to continue working with the player.

"Danny has been excellent for me," Harris said after the 1-0 win over Bristol City. "He was a wonderful fella, a terrific character and a very good pro.

"I really like working with him. I do a lot of work with the centre forwards and he is a big part of that.

"We really missed him on Tuesday (against Charlton), not having him as an impact on the bench. I want to continue working with him.

"He is happy here, he likes it here.

"Mehmet (Dalman, the chairman) has been very clear and honest that, at the moment, it's sit-tight time for everybody, let's see what unfolds.

"We have got two-and-a-half weeks, hopefully slightly longer, until the end of the season and things like out-of-contract players will be dealt with then."

A lot has been spoken about City's lack of cutting edge against Charlton in midweek and it looked as though the Welsh outfit would be blunted against against Bristol City, despite dominating the match.

As Joe Ralls puts it, there wasn't any other player Cardiff City supporters would want to see on the end of that 85th-minute Lee Tomlin pass than Danny Ward.

He has had to wait patiently for his chance after the restart, having suffered from a training-ground calf injury, but when he was given his chance, boy did he take it.

With the game locked at 0-0, Tomlin released the City marksman and, without taking a look at the goal, he rifled his chance into the bottom corner.

Will that sight become a thing of the past, though?

Ward's contract is up at the end of this campaign, after the player had agreed to sign a short-term extension until the end of the season.

He has seen fellow team-mates Matthew Connolly, Omar Bogle and Jazz Richards leave this week, but Ward's future is one which stirs many a conversation among City fans.

And while football's finances have, of course, been hit by the impact of coronavirus, Harris didn't hide his desire to continue working with the player.

"Danny has been excellent for me," Harris said after the 1-0 win over Bristol City. "He was a wonderful fella, a terrific character and a very good pro.

"I really like working with him. I do a lot of work with the centre forwards and he is a big part of that.

"We really missed him on Tuesday (against Charlton), not having him as an impact on the bench. I want to continue working with him.

"He is happy here, he likes it here.

"Mehmet (Dalman, the chairman) has been very clear and honest that, at the moment, it's sit-tight time for everybody, let's see what unfolds.

"We have got two-and-a-half weeks, hopefully slightly longer, until the end of the season and things like out-of-contract players will be dealt with then."

A lot has been spoken about City's lack of cutting edge against Charlton in midweek and it looked as though the Welsh outfit would be blunted against against Bristol City, despite dominating the match.

Wigan Athletic fall into administration after 'significant impact' of coronavirus

The Swansea City promotion dream that's turning stale, Chelsea loanee's chance and a tale of two records

But having Danny Ward available just offered the Bluebirds another option, a no-nonsense poacher who feasts on those sorts of chances.

"He's a goalscorer. If we feed him opportunities in the box, he will score," he added.

"If we look at that goal, Robert Glatzel at home against Reading in the FA Cup, Callum Paterson against Barnsley, it's about getting the players in the right positions to keep building opportunities up the pitch.

"A lot of it can be natural, though, and Danny Ward is a natural goalscorer."

And Ralls, the man so often trying to architect those chances, was also singing Ward's praises.

"In those sorts of positions, those sorts of chances, there's no one I'd rather be on the end of it," Ralls said after the win which put City three points clear of Derby County in seventh.

"He's a great finisher, everyone at the club knows what he can do and it was a great finish.

"The two lads (Lee Tomlin and Danny Ward) came on, combined and won the game for us."

One thing is for certain, if Ward is playing to convince the higher-ups that he deserves a new contract, he couldn't have started post-lockdown in much better fashion: One appearance, one match-winning goal and three vital points.

Re: " Neil Harris says Mehmet Dalman has made it clear "

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm

That's fair comment to sit tight, as not only do we have the Coronavirus fallout to contend with, we just might (emphasise might at this point) be in the Premier League next season :thumbright:

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:15 pm

Sven wrote:That's fair comment to sit tight, as not only do we have the Coronavirus fallout to contend with, we just might (emphasise might at this point) be in the Premier League next season :thumbright:

If we're not I would definitely offer him a new contract.

We know he can score goals at Championship level and with it being made clear that there will be absolutely f**k all available to buy players next season where are we likely to pick up a proven Championship goalscorer for nothing?

Pato always give 100% and we love him for that but a) he would never have made that run and 2) he'd never have scored that goal.

Danny Ward, like Mendez-Laing, can't seem to do it when he starts the game but as an impact sub he can be a match winner as shown today.

Don't think it would be easy to replace him when we'll be looking in the 50p section of Poundland next season according to Dalman.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:52 am

davids wrote:
Sven wrote:That's fair comment to sit tight, as not only do we have the Coronavirus fallout to contend with, we just might (emphasise might at this point) be in the Premier League next season :thumbright:

If we're not I would definitely offer him a new contract.

We know he can score goals at Championship level and with it being made clear that there will be absolutely f**k all available to buy players next season where are we likely to pick up a proven Championship goalscorer for nothing?

Pato always give 100% and we love him for that but a) he would never have made that run and 2) he'd never have scored that goal.

Danny Ward, like Mendez-Laing, can't seem to do it when he starts the game but as an impact sub he can be a match winner as shown today.

Don't think it would be easy to replace him when we'll be looking in the 50p section of Poundland next season according to Dalman.

With the money we're unlikely to have should we remain where we are, I tend to agree

Wardy is a great player off the bench, the manager likes him and he's chipped in with some valuable goals before today! :D :thumbup:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 am

Harris needs to stay - Already proved what he can do - Give the guy time .

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:08 am

I would keep Danny even if we went up, he is quick and has an eye for goal as he showed yesterday, he can turn defenders inside out and also makes runs to create space for others. We wouldn't have the money to buy a replacement so keep him.

Mr Harris, you're doing great, keep it up. The way he is using this team is excellent also helps when you have a genius like Tomlin to call on, what a reader of the game the best I have seen for a long time.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 am

I would certainly like to see him stay never been given a run in the team even under warnock but what ever league we are in they should keep him as Neil Harris said he loves it here that’s always a big factor for me loved to see him up front with glaztel I think that would be a good pairing and we have always had decent pairings in the past