Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tonight For me all the hard work City had done

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:38 pm

Cardiff City 2 Blackburn 3
H/t 2-1

For me all the hard work CARDIFF had done to get themselves in to the top 6 of the Championship could have been nearly lost in a terrible defensive display tonight against an ordinary Blackburn side.

Individual errors by City players were costly tonight.

After such great wins and brilliant defence work in the previous 4 games City today just made some terrible defensive errors.

Why are City struggling to teams like Charlton and Blackburn at home ?

But beat Leeds, Preston and Bristol City.

Tonight was a big set back.

Thankfully it’s still in Cardiff’s hands with four games to go, but we can’t afford no more nights like tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: For me all the hard work City had done

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:38 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:41 pm

So confused with our masterful displays against promotion rivals.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Individual errors cost us the game. Bacuna especially. It happens. I thought Blackburn played very well to be fair. Mowbray got his tactics spot on. Still in this and no need to panic.

Re: Tonight For me all the hard work City had done

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:45 pm

The second half today was very poor.

I think Bacuna has been our best player since we came back, but he was at fault for their third goal today.

Not a good performance at all and we need to bounce back at Fulham on Friday.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Awful defensive display. To get ourselves back in the lead before HT then to go and let an early goal in put us on the backfoot. That goal spured Blackburn on and we look like a schoolboy team not knowing what to do. Let down by the defense tonight.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Gutted with the result but could always see it coming tonight. Blackburn has every bounce, decision and 50/50 go in their favour. Incredibly lucky and just one of those nights I guess. Very disappointed but the universe just didn’t want us to pick a point up tonight. I just hope WBA and Brum can do us a favour tomorrow

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 pm

They did a good job on us by pressing high up pitch causing defenders to make errors 2and half! Think Harris could have broken with tradition and use subs much earlier than 75mins to counter mowbrays change of tactics, pointless once went behind never looked like scoring 2and half :o

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Updated:

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Took the lead twice and still lost the game .

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Lots of poor performances tonight, both fullbacks were poor, Joe Bennett asleep for second goal. Poor starting choice and any team relying on Marlon Pack to rescue is buggered. Tough game Friday but I think away teams have a massive advantage so no real damage if Swansea and Derby both lose tough fixtures tomorrow.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Looks like we are playing a bit of a mugs game. Lots of sideways passing, I want us to pass it but Mowbrey let the centre halfs have it then pressed and we are not good enough for that. The conditions would have been difficult for Man City let alone Cardiff City.

If Sean Morrison had demonstrated passing ability he'd be in the premier league, but he hasn't and he plays for us.

I thought we'd started to believe our own hype a bit. There is a time to play it and a time to hit the channels. We chose poorly tonight. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 pm

What a difference in two halves. Whatever Neil Harris said at half time I hope he never says it again

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 pm

These results happen in football especially in the championship,give credit to Blackburn in coming back twice and the way they closed us down.
Bad day in the office for players and manager alike.
Confidence needs to be put bs k into players before Fulham.

It ain’t over yet.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Stats:

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:45 pm

Dion sanderson is so poor defensively and I don't even think his attacking play compensates for it. He is the weak link.
Rinsed in 2mins blackburn should of been 1 up
1st goal he was caught wrong side of Armstrong morrison covered and cleared for corner, which he was beaten to for diving header.
2nd goal again he doesn't stop the cross, even tho nelson maybe Could of dealt with it who was very poor tonight.
Sanderson isn't the answer we desperately need to be bringing in someone permanently at RB

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 pm

aberdare-blue wrote:Dion sanderson is so poor defensively and I don't even think his attacking play compensates for it. He is the weak link.
Rinsed in 2mins blackburn should of been 1 up
1st goal he was caught wrong side of Armstrong morrison covered and cleared for corner, which he was beaten to for diving header.
2nd goal again he doesn't stop the cross, even tho nelson maybe Could of dealt with it who was very poor tonight.
Sanderson isn't the answer we desperately need to be bringing in someone permanently at RB

One bad performance doesn’t make a bad player but I do agree he struggled tonight...along with Morrison. Onwards and upwards though.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 pm

Updated:

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 pm

I agree with much that has been said already. We were second best all over the pitch tonight, but these thing happen in football, that's why we love it. It was like watching the Hamburg match all over again. We cannot afford another loss Friday. :sad7:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 am

One bad performance doesn’t make a bad player but I do agree he struggled tonight...along with Morrison. Onwards and upwards though.

bluebirdoct1962

Im struggling to think of a game where he's been solid, is it for his attacking play we signed him?? Cos he poor on the ball too. Nelson was the centre back that was really disappointing the lad Samuel absolutely run him ragged
he's not for me, I wouldn't be bothered if we re signed him next season, I'd take him on loan and buy another.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 am

aberdare-blue wrote:One bad performance doesn’t make a bad player but I do agree he struggled tonight...along with Morrison. Onwards and upwards though.

bluebirdoct1962

Im struggling to think of a game where he's been solid, is it for his attacking play we signed him?? Cos he poor on the ball too. Nelson was the centre back that was really disappointing the lad Samuel absolutely run him ragged
he's not for me, I wouldn't be bothered if we re signed him next season, I'd take him on loan and buy another.

He's been part of a defence that, up til last night has been solid. Nelson and Morrisson have been too. Just a night when 2 or 3 of our back four struggled for whatever reason. I wouldn't be surprised if we won on Friday evening; this is the Championship after all :thumbup:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:28 am

Agreed with a lot on here tonight defended poorly all Blackburn goals were bad ones to give away sloppy defending. Don’t agree with nelson comments he’s been our best defender. Sanderson I’m not convinced wolves wouldn’t loan him out if he was any good, and teams always seem to target Bennett side. Saying all that don’t forget Blackburn have to win all their games just for an outside chance of playoffs they had to win tonight a draw was no good so had nothing to lose. Where we are good is against teams who play tici taci football side to side, that’s why I never watch Man City boring. Blackburn played cut and thrust tonight and it payed of. Go passed and player and he’s out of the game. Hopefully lift ourselves for Fulham.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:05 am

A reality check for the team. Hopefully we will learn from this and come back stronger. Blackburn are no mugs and but for an individual error by Bacuna which was expertly dispatched we would have got something from the game.

Only our 5th defeat since Harris took over and we are still in with a good chance in the playoffs.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Neil Harris has told his Cardiff City players that the 3-2 defeat by Blackburn Rovers should serve as a reality check that they have no given right to be in those play-off spots come the season's end.

The Bluebirds have restarted the season tremendously, winning three and drawing one of their first four games before the visit of Tony Mowbray's side.

Harris knew there was bound to be a blip along the way somewhere during this nine-game mini-season and that appears to have come at the hands of Rovers on Tuesday night.

City fans could be forgiven for getting carried away following such a rip-roaring restart, but a sobering home defeat, in which they shipped three goals, has prompted Harris to remind his players they have won nothing yet.

NEIL HARRIS:

"It hurts to lose at home, because it's our place, we don't want to lose to anybody," Harris said after the match. "So that's frustrating.

"I thought the game was too open at times, for my liking, if you score two goals in any game you expect to win the game.

"So I just said to the players: 'That's the reminder, if we thought we were cruising, that we would just turn up and it would happen for us. Oh no.'

"We've had to work ridiculously hard to get to where we are and that's just a little kick up the backside to remind us.

"Today I just felt that in both boxes, Blackburn were better than us."

Harris believes the Bluebirds' uncharacteristically lax defending was ultimately the deciding factor in the match.

A stunning 40-yard strike from Adam Armstrong proved to be the winning moment after an end-to-end clash at Cardiff City Stadium, but while Harris concedes there was very little they could do about that wonder-strike, he was left feeling disappointed at his players' efforts for the first two goals.

"The first two goals were avoidable," Harris added.

NEIL HARRIS:

"We could have scored a couple more, they could have scored a couple more, but at the end of the day, the first two goals were avoidable and disappointing.

"A little bit of the rub of the green wasn't there for us for the two goals, but I've just said to the players we have to learn from that.

"I look at myself, did I pick the right team? Did I make the right subs? We will do all that. But then you have to say: 'Could we just defend better for the first two goals?'

"I'm disappointed, but it's 10 points from five games and it's no time for over-analysing or berating the players. It's about moving on to Friday."

That game on Friday now carries far more importance, with City doubtless having hoped that they would carry a bigger buffer over the chasing pack after the Rovers clash.

But Harris, whose side still occupy sixth spot, is adamant that there is no time to dwell on the past and it's full steam ahead for the remaining four matches.

"We have got two weeks of the season left, so there is no time for regret or disappointment, it's on to the next one.

"I'll review that, look at where we need to be better and we have to respond on Friday night in a really tough game at Fulham."