Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Harris has told his Cardiff City players that the 3-2

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Neil Harris has told his Cardiff City players that the 3-2 defeat by Blackburn Rovers should serve as a reality check that they have no given right to be in those play-off spots come the season's end.

The Bluebirds have restarted the season tremendously, winning three and drawing one of their first four games before the visit of Tony Mowbray's side.

Harris knew there was bound to be a blip along the way somewhere during this nine-game mini-season and that appears to have come at the hands of Rovers on Tuesday night.

City fans could be forgiven for getting carried away following such a rip-roaring restart, but a sobering home defeat, in which they shipped three goals, has prompted Harris to remind his players they have won nothing yet.

NEIL HARRIS:

"It hurts to lose at home, because it's our place, we don't want to lose to anybody," Harris said after the match. "So that's frustrating.

"I thought the game was too open at times, for my liking, if you score two goals in any game you expect to win the game.

"So I just said to the players: 'That's the reminder, if we thought we were cruising, that we would just turn up and it would happen for us. Oh no.'

"We've had to work ridiculously hard to get to where we are and that's just a little kick up the backside to remind us.

"Today I just felt that in both boxes, Blackburn were better than us."

Harris believes the Bluebirds' uncharacteristically lax defending was ultimately the deciding factor in the match.

A stunning 40-yard strike from Adam Armstrong proved to be the winning moment after an end-to-end clash at Cardiff City Stadium, but while Harris concedes there was very little they could do about that wonder-strike, he was left feeling disappointed at his players' efforts for the first two goals.

"The first two goals were avoidable," Harris added.

NEIL HARRIS:

"We could have scored a couple more, they could have scored a couple more, but at the end of the day, the first two goals were avoidable and disappointing.

"A little bit of the rub of the green wasn't there for us for the two goals, but I've just said to the players we have to learn from that.

"I look at myself, did I pick the right team? Did I make the right subs? We will do all that. But then you have to say: 'Could we just defend better for the first two goals?'

"I'm disappointed, but it's 10 points from five games and it's no time for over-analysing or berating the players. It's about moving on to Friday."

That game on Friday now carries far more importance, with City doubtless having hoped that they would carry a bigger buffer over the chasing pack after the Rovers clash.

But Harris, whose side still occupy sixth spot, is adamant that there is no time to dwell on the past and it's full steam ahead for the remaining four matches.

"We have got two weeks of the season left, so there is no time for regret or disappointment, it's on to the next one.

"I'll review that, look at where we need to be better and we have to respond on Friday night in a really tough game at Fulham."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.