Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VAR

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:55 pm

I'm generally a supporter of VAR. But I also think it's not working in the Premier League as it should.

Watching the Aston Villa v Manchstser United match at the moment.

Jon Moss gives a penalty to United. Video shows that Bruno Fernandes stood on Ezri Konsa and then fell over. But VAR don't change the referee's decision.

Everyone else who saw the replay can see it's definitely not a penalty.

Sometimes it just baffles me.

Next season they are saying that FIFA will insist that with any leagues that use VAR, the referee must go over to the monitor and make the decision himself.

I think that would be much better. If that happened tonight then I can see Jon Moss changing his decision.

You can see the incident below from 28 seconds in.

Re: VAR

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 pm

Exactly how they used it in the last world cup. I thought it worked well. Certainly got more correct than wrong.

I'm sure it's only the PL that have this silly way of doing it. Directed by the top ref cos he thought it would be quicker. Ridiculous. Champs league use the screen don't they?

It should be used as a tool for the guy in the middle. "excuse me mate, I think you want to jog over and check that"

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 pm

In spurs game a blind man could see kane was pushed yet var said no ....as commentator he said needed only one look to give it but obviously var couldn't see it.... but the utd pen was clearly a foul by utd player he stood on villa players leg did a pilloette and died why didn't var see it when everyone else did? Var does not work to enhance game it detracts from it by stupid decision making. :roll:

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Exactly how they used it in the last world cup. I thought it worked well. Certainly got more correct than wrong.

I'm sure it's only the PL that have this silly way of doing it. Directed by the top ref cos he thought it would be quicker. Ridiculous. Champs league use the screen don't they?

It should be used as a tool for the guy in the middle. "excuse me mate, I think you want to jog over and check that"

On both crap decisions tonight ref didnt need to go to screen var should have made the right calls but for some reason they see something different that we and punters see and get it clearly wrong

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:28 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Exactly how they used it in the last world cup. I thought it worked well. Certainly got more correct than wrong.

On both crap decisions tonight ref didnt need to go to screen var should have made the right calls but for some reason they see something different that we and punters see and get it clearly wrong

I think the referee should go to the monitor for every VAR decision, at least it's his decision then.

For the United penalty tonight, if Jon Moss looks at the monitor then I'm certain he would have overturned his decision.

Saying that, you're right - both were simple decisions for VAR.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:35 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I think the referee should go to the monitor for every VAR decision, at least it's his decision then.

For the United penalty tonight, if Jon Moss looks at the monitor then I'm certain he would have overturned his decision.

Saying that, you're right - both were simple decisions for VAR.

Moss gave the pen so upto var to say he was wrong? Whilst it was not a clear obvious mistake it was wrong decision by moss... it was opposite in spurs game ref didnt give pen so var should have told him it was one and he was wrong ? Both obviously wrong decisions and var should have made them the right decisions.. but they failed miserably :old:

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:43 pm

No VAR at all for me

Part of the game is the talk after, if the ref got it wrong or not

I've spent numerous hours on a coach on the way home with City blaming the ref for our

Close hammerings in the prem :D

No VAR for me even though it probably cost us the 3 points home against Chelsea.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:50 pm

Citysince72 wrote:No VAR at all for me

I've spent numerous hours on a coach on the way home with City blaming the ref for our

No VAR for me even though it probably cost us the 3 points home against Chelsea.

its the Welsh assembly of football...
a pointless extra layer of authority..

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 pm

Was the linesmans dodgy positioning that cost us didn't need var to see was offside... :roll:
But agree dont want var prefer to argue about real ref not an imaginary one..

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Was the linesmans dodgy positioning that cost us didn't need var to see was offside... :roll:

I do agree

He had a complete nightmare

I'm in the family stand above the touchline

with bad eye sight and I could see he was clearly offside

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

I'll never forget the next day when Jamie Carragher trying to defend him by using virtual reality on Sky with Gary Neville and the host just ridiculing him.

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen live in a football stadium.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:55 pm

You can see tonight's incident below from 28 seconds in.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:04 pm

Citysince72 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I do agree

He had a complete nightmare

I'm in the family stand above the touchline

with bad eye sight and I could see he was clearly offside

Whatever possessed him to move and stay behind player? A one in a million event shame it had to be against us! :roll:

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:06 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I'll never forget the next day when Jamie Carragher trying to defend him by using virtual reality on Sky with Gary Neville and the host just ridiculing him.

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen live in a football stadium.

Couldn't defend the stupidity of the linesman even if you was his mother! :D

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 pm

VAR is only as good as the muppets using it until that changes and people with common sense are using it things won’t change. Get rid of the incompetent people in charge of it or we will have further problems.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:50 pm

Premier league say the 3 decisions made by the match officials today were wrong and that var should have changed the decisions and var was wrong not to overturn them.... what does that say about their competency to be a referee with var.? :roll:

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:38 am

Two shocking decisions

What did the pundits say about it?

I saw the Kane one live, the Bournouth lad literally ran into the back of him and barged him over, 100% penalty, don't see how it could possibly be argued against.

Just the Man Utd one and that's never a penalty.

They need to sort it out otherwise its just a farce.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:00 am

RV Casual wrote:Two shocking decisions

I saw the Kane one live, the Bournouth lad literally ran into the back of him and barged him over, 100% penalty, don't see how it could possibly be argued against.

Rv you can excuse the match officials getting it wrong but you cannot excuse var officials looking at things from several angles but in case of kane as pundits said needed one look to decide it was pen! Truly Shocking decisions by var

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Rv you can excuse the match officials getting it wrong but you cannot excuse var officials looking at things from several angles but in case of kane as pundits said needed one look to decide it was pen! Truly Shocking decisions by var

VAR are scared to make a decision. That's why I'm with Worcester. They should only advise the ref to take another look. Then let him make the decision.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:33 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

VAR are scared to make a decision. That's why I'm with Worcester. They should only advise the ref to take another look. Then let him make the decision.

That looks the best way forward. VAR advises the referee to go to the monitor. Then the referee makes the decision himself.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:44 am

^^^^

Agree with all chaps

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:02 am

glas wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

That looks the best way forward. VAR advises the referee to go to the monitor. Then the referee makes the decision himself.

Only problem with this is time it takes we will be having 20mins added time a half, var looks at everything how many times will he ask ref to go to monitor? Some decisions taking 2mins or more by time he decides to ask ref that's more time... it should be scrapped because it does nothing to enhance game? It micro analysis 1 inch offside and spots handball for which the law is an ass at moment .. defending no handball attack its handball for exactly same thing. :roll:

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:26 am

i dont get why anyone would tinker with it tbh..
its rubbish...bin it...

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:28 pm

skidemin wrote:i dont get why anyone would tinker with it tbh..
its rubbish...bin it...

You cannot tinker with var only the laws of the game and those are getting more sillier as they change them ! EG (Handball) the monitor is ok for red card but then in slow motion tackle will always look bad even a simple tackle... like said bin it put decisions back to on field officials nevermind how useless they are .....

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Some shocking decisions last night :?

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Since when is your shoulder joint classed as handball? When I played it was elbow downward! :o so var decides shoulder joint is handball! scrap it they've lost the plot regarding what constitutes illegal play :old:

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:36 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Since when is your shoulder joint classed as handball? When I played it was elbow downward! :o so var decides shoulder joint is handball! scrap it they've lost the plot regarding what constitutes illegal play :old:

Agreed, another terrible decision by VAR.

They seem to forget that there are tens of millions of pounds at stake for these clubs in a relegation battle.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Since when is your shoulder joint classed as handball? When I played it was elbow downward! :o so var decides shoulder joint is handball! scrap it they've lost the plot regarding what constitutes illegal play :old:

Agreed, another terrible decision by VAR.

They seem to forget that there are tens of millions of pounds at stake for these clubs in a relegation battle.

It's the law that's causing all the problems because if that's a defender it's not handball? Game is being ruined slowly by incompetent officials most remember var are premier league refs in the centre making decisions... :o

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:45 pm

As Jose said - The ref is in an office now - For me they are Pressing buttons and not getting it right :shock:

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:As Jose said - The ref is in an office now - For me they are Pressing buttons and not getting it right :shock:

Think need to scrap the handball rule in place at moment and make it deliberate again? At least var can see its deliberate or should do....and offside should go to benefit of striker again so if cannot easily see if offside it shouldn't be given! none of this after 2 mins looking his toe is offside .. got to be a mark like at least a players foot must clear of defender no ambiguity then .. because previously unless there is daylight between players it was always inline with defender so not offside so simple really