City fans BOYCOTT on behalf of NUKES

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Daya » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Wickes Trade And DIY Store Deny Multiple Sclerosis Sufferer Use Of The Toilet As She Nearly Soils Herself Leaving The Store
HomepageNews

Wickes Trade And DIY Company deny multiple sclerosis sufferer use of a toilet and come under heavy criticism

Steven and Cath Thomas from Bargoed South Wales visited Wickes Trade And DIY store in Caerphilly this weekend to pick up some bits and bobs for their new patio and were horrified to find the company hold no regard to the disabled.

Cath Thomas, who suffers severely from the crippling disease, multiple sclerosis required to go to the toilet whilst within the store.

As she and her devoted husband Steven headed to the store’s customer toilets on arrival they found them locked up, so Steven went to customer services and presented them with wife Cath’s card requesting toilet use.

As Steven presented the card with his desperate wife beside him, explaining that his wife urgently needed to use the store’s toilet facilities, was left in utter shock when the man behind the customer services desk bluntly replied ”They're closed”

Thomas who was stunned by the rudeness replied: ”This isn’t good enough, this isn’t the way to treat disabled people – they shouldn’t be treated this way, look my wife is desperate here, she needs the toilet, please give me a key to unlock it”

Unfortunately, the reply fell on deaf ears with no compassion from the customer services representative, whilst clearly seeing Cath Thomas was in distress with tears in her eyes, replied: ”Don’t blame me it’s a company policy fella”

Steven Thomas told Global247news what then unfolded:

“There I was stood there with my disabled wife, totally desperate to go to the toilet due to her condition and a man stood in front of me refusing to give her access, I was furious at his replies but kept my cool and told him that it was appalling behaviour to deny a disabled lady access to a toilet, he just didn’t care and kept harking on it was company policy and he also stated that he agreed with me but still denied Cath access, I had to throw down my selected goods and rush Cath out the store in hope of finding access to a toilet, but unfortunately it was nearly too late and my wife came close to an accident as we just got out the store and rushed to another where they were far more understanding of disabled person needs.”

Cath Thomas herself told Global247news: ”I have never been so embarrassed in all my life, I was desperate, really desperate and I just could not believe the man on customer services was being so obnoxious considering the circumstances, I was desperate and in tears and he just did not care at all, Steven in fairness kept calm and got me out to a nearby store just in the matter of time otherwise I would have had an accident – Wickes need to understand, disabled lives matter, we will never shop there again.”

As the married couple shared their experience on social media, Wickes came under serious fire from many quarters with friends family and associates declaring to never use the store again.

Close friend, Headmaster, Gareth Hughes in Newport said:

”I and many friends will never spend a penny in Wickes again, and we don’t mean the toilet, despicable behaviour against a disabled woman, they should be hanging their heads in total shame”

“We come from a big community and that community will be boycotting Wickes,” he said – ” We all support Cardiff City together and the words spreading fast, you don’t mess with City fans and we don’t forget” Hughes finalised.
Chuckles is a newbie fan who jumped on the glory bandwagon
Daya

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: City fans BOYCOTT on behalf of NUKES

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Daya wrote:https://global247news.com/2020/07/26/wickes-trade-and-diy-store-deny-multiple-sclerosis-sufferer-use-of-the-toilet-as-she-nearly-soils-herself-leaving-the-store/

Unfortunately it was nearly to late?
I presume they mean fortunately it was just in time.

Anyway terrible policy by Wickes. Feel for the guy behind the counter being on the front line of this.
Bigmarkw

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Ridiculous.
Big Hill Blue

Postby Sven » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:16 pm

I never open Daya's 'spam' links but when it was brought to my attention that this one was in relation to our very own 'Nukes', I made an exception

On the subject, I've known 'Nukes' for a number of years and would like to think of him as a friend. We have a number of things in common; not just the mighty Bluebirds but also the fact that both our wives (sadly in my case now 'late wife') suffered from Multiple Sclerosis

For this to occur is nothing short of a disgrace and I am hoping that Wickes upper management will respond to the farce in a contrite and understanding manner, which would include educating the specific member of staff and also reminding all staffs of their responsibilities and duty of care to others; particularly the disabled

Now, in defence of all DIY centres I have visited since 'lockdown', these are exceptional times and I have noted the public toilets have been closed at all times

However, there are staff toilets, which are easily accessed and monitored by store staffs 'for exceptional circumstances', of which this was most certainly one

Ironically, I'm not a fan of Wickes, as I find it often understocked and many (but not all) of staff in that particular store a little disinterested and usually congregated around the till area chatting amongst themselves; a complete contrast with another large DIY store not 400 yards away from the one mentioned

There, the staff appear a lot more customer friendly, welcoming and willing to put themselves out. I've witnessed it on many occasions and the contrast between the two, for me, is chasmic

Shame on Wickes and bigger shame on Mr Jobsworth, who appearingly couldn't or wouldn't be arsed to help someone with a proven (card carrying) disability

Shame indeed but we wait in hope of a positive response from a bad publicity averse Wickes management :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby RV Casual » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Sorry to here that Nukes wife had to go through that. You would have thought there would have been some human empathy there but it sounds like they were sticking to their 'rules' without seeing the bigger picture, sounds like a total lack of understanding of the illness on the part of the staff member and the lack of trying to find a solution is not good. Nukes is right to make this public if for no other reason than to raise awareness and hopefully stop these types of situations happening again.

On a side note and it's not really important in the grand scheme of things but that article looks like it's been written by a 9 year old.
RV Casual

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Yes certainly did happen. My wife stopped me creating one hell of a fuss. But we left quick because she was getting desperate but we got to a Tesco down the road.
But even there she had a little issue with the in store cleaner there who told her to hurry as he wanted to clean the toilet.
Now that one has been dealt with and a word in that guy’s ear has been had.
But to Wickes. I found the managing directors email and sent a stinging email. Which was sent back as unknown. So I sent one to customer services of which they replied back they are not excepting any messages to this email but I do now have a phone number. Thinking of going to the press if I don’t get a satisfactory answer.
But this is what it’s come down to that people who are disabled now just don’t matter in today’s fucked up world. Cath even had a card which Cath always carries and no one has ever said no to her before but then again she hasn’t had to produce it.
Was absolutely tamping yesterday.
Nuclearblue

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Sven wrote:I never open Daya's 'spam' links but when it was brought to my attention that this one was in relation to our very own 'Nukes', I made an exception

On the subject, I've known 'Nukes' for a number of years and would like to think of him as a friend. We have a number of things in common; not just the mighty Bluebirds but also the fact that both our wives (sadly in my case now 'late wife') suffered from Multiple Sclerosis

For this to occur is nothing short of a disgrace and I am hoping that Wickes upper management will respond to the farce in a contrite and understanding manner, which would include educating the specific member of staff and also reminding all staffs of their responsibilities and duty of care to others; particularly the disabled

Now, in defence of all DIY centres I have visited since 'lockdown', these are exceptional times and I have noted the public toilets have been closed at all times

However, there are staff toilets, which are easily accessed and monitored by store staffs 'for exceptional circumstances', of which this was most certainly one

Ironically, I'm not a fan of Wickes, as I find it often understocked and many (but not all) of staff in that particular store a little disinterested and usually congregated around the till area chatting amongst themselves; a complete contrast with another large DIY store not 400 yards away from the one mentioned

There, the staff appear a lot more customer friendly, welcoming and willing to put themselves out. I've witnessed it on many occasions and the contrast between the two, for me, is chasmic

Shame on Wickes and bigger shame on Mr Jobsworth, who appearingly couldn't or wouldn't be arsed to help someone with a proven (card carrying) disability

Shame indeed but we wait in hope of a positive response from a bad publicity averse Wickes management :(

Yes you are definitely a friend and we had spent time talking about our wives and Multiple Sclerosis. A hidden illness and it’s hard enough for her to go out especially alone but knowing in the past that businesses treat disabled with respect and humility was always a comfort. But yesterday I saw the other side mate and I won’t let it go that’s for sure. I don’t want any other disabled person having to go through that embarrassment of being denied a toilet.
Nuclearblue

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:00 pm

Shocking attitude by that company.

I can only hope they learn from this mistake, but that will be of no help to Nukes and his wife.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby maccydee » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Yes certainly did happen. My wife stopped me creating one hell of a fuss. But we left quick because she was getting desperate but we got to a Tesco down the road.
But even there she had a little issue with the in store cleaner there who told her to hurry as he wanted to clean the toilet.
But to Wickes. I found the managing directors email and sent a stinging email. Which was sent back as unknown. So I sent one to customer services of which they replied back they are not excepting any messages to this email but I do now have a phone number. Thinking of going to the press if I don’t get a satisfactory answer.
But this is what it’s come down to that people who are disabled now just don’t matter in today’s fucked up world. Cath even had a card which Cath always carries and no one has ever said no to her before but then again she hasn’t had to produce it.

Nukes was this the one you tried?

david.wood@wickes.co.uk
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 pm

RV Casual wrote:Sorry to here that Nukes wife had to go through that. You would have thought there would have been some human empathy there but it sounds like they were sticking to their 'rules' without seeing the bigger picture, sounds like a total lack of understanding of the illness on the part of the staff member and the lack of trying to find a solution is not good. Nukes is right to make this public if for no other reason than to raise awareness and hopefully stop these types of situations happening again.

On a side note and it's not really important in the grand scheme of things but that article looks like it's been written by a 9 year old.

They always are. Horrific standard.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Sven wrote:I never open Daya's 'spam' links but when it was brought to my attention that this one was in relation to our very own 'Nukes', I made an exception

Yes you are definitely a friend and we had spent time talking about our wives and Multiple Sclerosis. A hidden illness and it’s hard enough for her to go out especially alone but knowing in the past that businesses treat disabled with respect and humility was always a comfort. But yesterday I saw the other side mate and I won’t let it go that’s for sure. I don’t want any other disabled person having to go through that embarrassment of being denied a toilet.

Thanks, Steve. I know that store well and it's not the best IMHO and the treatment of Cath was simply disgraceful in a world where people are supposedly being 'educated' to assist with the disabled to the best of their ability

Clearly no 'best' and seemingly no 'ability' on the part of the Wickes guy involved; and the cleaner in Tesco didn't seem to have any thought either

Chase it until you have an answer and your many friends on here will hope it is one to you satisfaction

Stay safe, fella; you're a bloody good husband to an exceptional lady! :clap: :notworthy: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby skidemin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 pm

maccydee wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Sorry to here that Nukes wife had to go through that. You would have thought there would have been some human empathy there but it sounds like they were sticking to their 'rules' without seeing the bigger picture, sounds like a total lack of understanding of the illness on the part of the staff member and the lack of trying to find a solution is not good. Nukes is right to make this public if for no other reason than to raise awareness and hopefully stop these types of situations happening again.

They always are. Horrific standard.

yep. strangely enough they are all written by different correspondents :?
skidemin

Postby bluewho » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:46 am

It is awful the staff themselves may have been under strict instructions not to let any member of the public use staff toilets. They could face a disciplinary for doing so due to covid 19. Toilet access is always a problem with retail parks as not all have them
bluewho

Postby Nuclearblue » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:59 am

maccydee wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Yes certainly did happen. My wife stopped me creating one hell of a fuss. But we left quick because she was getting desperate but we got to a Tesco down the road.

david.wood@wickes.co.uk

Will try that one thanks chief :thumbright:
Nuclearblue

Postby maccydee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:17 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

david.wood@wickes.co.uk

No snags. CEO apparently. Mate has done some digging.
maccydee

Postby Nuclearblue » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:22 pm

maccydee wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

david.wood@wickes.co.uk

Nice one mate. I have posted an email this morning so we will see if he replies. Tell your mate thank you :thumbright:
Nuclearblue

Postby maccydee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

david.wood@wickes.co.uk

Nice one mate. I have posted an email this morning so we will see if he replies. Tell your mate thank you :thumbright:

Will do. I think a reply from someone high up is likely. Good luck.
maccydee

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Still waiting for a reply back off Wickes. In the meantime anyone has any links to the Echo or know an email I can send to them. So I will give Wickes a few days to even acknowledge my email, or will talk to the Echo
Nuclearblue

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Still waiting for a reply back off Wickes. In the meantime anyone has any links to the Echo or know an email I can send to them. So I will give Wickes a few days to even acknowledge my email, or will talk to the Echo

Just about sums up the diabolical Wickes organisation mate. Service, customer attention and feedback dire
Big Hill Blue

Postby Stan_B » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 pm

The Echo is part of Wales Online -

Email newsdesk@walesonline.co.uk

Tel 029 2024 3600
Stan_B

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Stan_B wrote:The Echo is part of Wales Online -

Email newsdesk@walesonline.co.uk

Tel 029 2024 3600

Cheers will give them a few more days to answer me then I will email them. Nice one :occasion5:
Nuclearblue

Postby jtc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 pm

That's awful mate.No wonder you are going ballistic
How's Cath?
jtc

Postby Patron » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:46 am

This is my first post although I have been an avid follower of this site for many years. I am a season ticket holder and also the Coordinator of Caerphilly Support Group of thr MS Society.
To say I was outraged to hear of the treatment of a fellow sufferer by Wickes is an understatement.
I am no solicitor but I think there may be a case for arguing they acted unlawfully under the 2010 Equality Act. You can either take it further through the Citizens Advice Bureau or let us approach them on your behalf?
Patron

Postby Nuclearblue » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Patron wrote:This is my first post although I have been an avid follower of this site for many years. I am a season ticket holder and also the Coordinator of Caerphilly Support Group of thr MS Society.
To say I was outraged to hear of the treatment of a fellow sufferer by Wickes is an understatement.
I am no solicitor but I think there may be a case for arguing they acted unlawfully under the 2010 Equality Act. You can either take it further through the Citizens Advice Bureau or let us approach them on your behalf?

PM sent to you mate
Nuclearblue

Postby Nuclearblue » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Patron wrote:This is my first post although I have been an avid follower of this site for many years. I am a season ticket holder and also the Coordinator of Caerphilly Support Group of thr MS Society.

Hiya Jeff nice to hear from you hope the wife and kids are doing well. Yeah Cath doing good she is a fighter as you well know she won’t let anything beat her. The one thing she always makes sure of when she goes out she knows where the toilets are etc. But at the moment many are locked up and that is a disgrace. Who the hell thinks the6 can treat the disabled this way is a disgrace. I was very angry and it was upsetting for Cath. I have given Wickes enough time to answer my email or even acknowledge they have it. I won’t let it lie Chief
Nuclearblue

Postby Bigmarkw » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 am

Did they ever bother to respond?
Bigmarkw

Postby Nuclearblue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 am

Bigmarkw wrote:Did they ever bother to respond?

Yes mate they did I’m going to put a separate post up on there response now. Over a week went by without a response and I then sent another email with a threat of the next email would be to the press. And boom just like that I got my apology.
Nuclearblue

Return to General Chat