Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Harris warns Fulham that Cardiff City

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Neil Harris warns Fulham that Cardiff City can be a 'dangerous wounded animal'

The Bluebirds must overturn a two-goal deficit if they are to remain in the tie at Craven Cottage on Thursday night

By Glen Williams

Thursday 30th July 2020

Neil Harris has warned Fulham that Cardiff City can be a "dangerous wounded animal" as his Bluebirds bid to overturn a two-goal deficit at Craven Cottage on Thursday night.

The Welsh club were downed by two second-half goals on Monday, leaving them with the monumental task of coming from two goals behind in the second leg of their play-off semi-final clash, a feat which has never been achieved in the Championship.

But Harris said he is heartened by the sheer number of games, even in his own relatively short tenure as manager, in which his side have had to pick themselves up off the canvas to produce dramatic comebacks.

Now, he is just asking for one more.

NEIL HARRIS:

"The 3-3 at Leeds, we were 2-0 down at Charlton in my first game in charge and we came back for the draw, we were 2-0 down after 18 minutes against Brentford and drew - and should have won the game," Harris said of his side's resilience.

"We have trailed a lot of games and found a way to come back and either win or draw. That gives me a lot of faith in my group - and belief.

"And it should give my players the belief that they can do it. We are a team that finds a way of scoring a goal or winning a game. A lot of credit goes to the players for that. They have done it time and time again, not just this year but in years gone by as well.

"We can be a dangerous, wounded animal to come back and hurt teams. We have to use that passion, determination and resilience in abundance on Thursday night."

It will be no easy task, of course, but if City fans can take solace in one thing it is that their team has been pretty free-scoring of late.

While no player has been prolific - four players sit on eight goals as the club's leading scorer - they have found ways to hit the back of the net in key moments this season.

"We need to make sure we’ve got goalscorers from the start and we finish with goalscorers on the pitch as well," Harris added.

"We have got players that can produce big moments and they’ve done it time and time again in the last few months.

"It gives me the belief that when we get the chance, we will score. That’s what disappointed me the other night, we have been clinical in key moments, especially post-January and we weren’t in the first 20 minutes the other night.

"Goals win games and I know I’ve got players in my group who are capable of scoring in big matches."

Cardiff are huge underdogs going into this clash and the Bluebirds manager knows it.

However, given the circumstances, someone can make themselves a hero at Craven Cottage and if it was the Cottagers' turn on Monday night, then on Thursday Harris wants it to be his players who grab the headlines.

"I give Fulham some praise for the other night, but it’s now up to our players to produce those moments," Harris said.

"We’ve done it, we’ve had match winners and we have had players who want to be heroes.

"The players want to achieve. It’s not about ‘well done’ for what the group has achieved - we want more.

"It’s another opportunity for us to prove ourselves and the players are prepared to do it."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Neil Harris warns Fulham that Cardiff City

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm

He was right - We got the win but not the trip to the Final - Good Times ahead if we start next season as we ended this one.