Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

IAN BOTHAM: FROM LORDS TO LORDS...!

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:22 pm

Sir Ian becomes Lord Botham after being awarded peerage

Sir Ian Botham is set to join the House of Lords after being awarded a life peerage, the UK government has announced.

Botham is among 18 new political peers announced on Friday, and will sit as a crossbench (independent) peer. His appointment was widely anticipated after a story in the Times earlier this month which revealed Prime Minister Boris Johnson would mark his first anniversary in the role by "rewarding Brexit loyalists with peerages".

He is the first cricketer to be awarded a peerage since the pioneering women's captain Rachael Heyhoe-Flint in 2011, following David Sheppard, Colin Cowdrey and Learie Constantine as others who have been honoured.

Botham has been an active charitable campaigner since his retirement from the game, raising tens of millions of pounds for research into leukaemia after being staggered to learn that children were dying of the disease when he took a wrong turn in a hospital during his playing career. He was knighted in 2007 in the Queen's birthday honours.

He played 102 Tests and 116 ODIs for England between 1977 and 1992, and until 2015 remained their leading Test wicket-taker. He has been chairman of Durham since 2017, and was a regular on Sky's cricket coverage as a commentator until the end of last summer's Ashes series.
Attachments
Lord Botham of Lords.jpg
Lord Botham of Lords.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 2896 times

Re: IAN BOTHAM: FROM LORDS TO LORDS...!

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm

Don't know enough about the man (as opposed to the brilliant cricketer) to know if this is genuinely warranted but I do know he was a 'Boris Brexiteer' and the cronyism continues, as Boris gives Life Peerages to his brother (former MP) Joe Johnson and Ken Clark :?

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 pm

a great cricketer when i used to follow cricket in a big way but wish these type of awards would be abolished

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 pm

Ian Botham - Meet this guy quiet a few times when Glam played Somerset many moons ago - Always had time to talk .

The guy at the time was not just a cricketer but a footballer as well - Scunthorpe ( Better Cricketer !! ) .

Done a lot for charity when he finished Cricket - along with his work for Sky .

Good Luck to Beefy - Always says what he thinks .

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Ian Botham - Meet this guy quiet a few times when Glam played Somerset many moons ago - Always had time to talk .

The guy at the time was not just a cricketer but a footballer as well - Scunthorpe ( Better Cricketer !! ) .

Done a lot for charity when he finished Cricket - along with his work for Sky .

Good Luck to Beefy - Always says what he thinks .

:thumbup: indeed .
i think he started doing those charity walks while still playing..

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Sven wrote:Don't know enough about the man (as opposed to the brilliant cricketer) to know if this is genuinely warranted but I do know he was a 'Boris Brexiteer' and the cronyism continues, as Boris gives Life Peerages to his brother (former MP) Joe Johnson and Ken Clark :?

Ken Clarke was/is a massive remainer so the exact opposite of a Brexiteer. I think his brother also voted remain. Botham was a tremendous sportsman and raised millions for charity. So cronyism is certainly not true in these cases.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:27 am

glas wrote:
Sven wrote:Don't know enough about the man (as opposed to the brilliant cricketer) to know if this is genuinely warranted but I do know he was a 'Boris Brexiteer' and the cronyism continues, as Boris gives Life Peerages to his brother (former MP) Joe Johnson and Ken Clark :?

Ken Clarke was/is a massive remainer so the exact opposite of a Brexiteer. I think his brother also voted remain. Botham was a tremendous sportsman and raised millions for charity. So cronyism is certainly not true in these cases.

I referred to Both as a 'Boris Brexiteer' and then added cronyism to describe promoting his brother (who he fell out with over the Brexit issue) now he's out of a job; and also the choice of recent 'Father of the House' Ken Clark

Cronyism at all levels and on all sides when it comes to selecting people for the 'new-style' House of Lords ;)

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:28 am

IF we have to have a house of 'Lords' then I'd rather have Botham in it than some arch bishop who believes in the man in the sky will come to save him.

Anyone else realise that the members of the house of Lords get £330 a day as expenses just for turning up and doing 5 minutes work.

Anyone remember when Corbyn gave 'independent' Shammi Chakrabarti a peerage so she could over see Labour anti semitism issues. She denied it was all pre setup years before (although it was).

The whole system is pathetic - there are now over 880 members of the house of Lords. They need to have a bit of a cull. Some of them do good work - lots of them dont.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 am

If you study such things - you'll see her eye movements suggest she is not exactly telling the truth

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:46 am

I thought we were supposed to be getting rid of all these unelected Bureaucrats? Wasn’t there a big vote about that a few years back? :?

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:I thought we were supposed to be getting rid of all these unelected Bureaucrats? Wasn’t there a big vote about that a few years back? :?

That was to rid the 'hereditary' peers, i.e. the ones who were in there by birthright alone :thumbright:

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Too many sub standard politicians and civil servants (majority labour) are given it as a type of retirement present.
Remember Labour (under Blair and Brown) used it as a money generating opportunity. Like Bernie Ecclestone and his £1million donation to the Labour party.
I know one labour peer (ex MP) who was given it as a sweetener to retire, so his constituency could be handed to a defector from the Tory party.
He told me this himself so it is true. He used to get £150 per day for attending parliament, plus travel costs etc.

It is a total scam in the people appointed, although the Lords itself can fulfil a good function. It is just the people appointed is the problem. Sports people , retiring civil servants, should not be considered unless they have done something worthwhile or have something to offer. Botham fills both categories there.

It used to be given for exceptional service to the country, but not as now a trade off for something or to raise money for your party.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Anachronistic waste of time and money
Post a reply