Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHY DO SO MANY WANT JOSH MURPHY

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:32 pm

GONE....

Still only 25, can score goals from midfield and be a real threat in the right system, if we can keep the ball more, think he can do great things for us...

I will get ripped for this post I know that, but he is very capable with the right management and system,he will be a very useful squad player at the very least, capable of 10 plus goals if stays fit and gets the chances..

he deserves at least one more year, and given more of a chance, if we are looking to push next season, we need at least 4-5 wingers that can do a job over the 46 games plus cup games.

like I say will get ripped, but would love Josh to be with us next season!

:bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Re: WHY DO SO MANY WANT JOSH MURPHY

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:45 pm

on his day he is class mate.. but hasnt really seemed right for most of the season for whatever reason { homesick has been mentioned, but who knows } ..with just the one year left on his contract its either attempt to get him to extend { he could well not accept even if offered } , sell if an offer comes in or leave him go for nothing next June...as much as i rate his potential ability his actual effectiveness this year was very limited . if it were my choice im afraid id accept any half decent offer...

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:54 pm

skidemin wrote:on his day he is class mate.. but hasnt really seemed right for most of the season for whatever reason { homesick has been mentioned, but who knows } ..with just the one year left on his contract its either attempt to get him to extend { he could well not accept even if offered } , sell if an offer comes in or leave him go for nothing next June...as much as i rate his potential ability his actual effectiveness this year was very limited . if it were my choice im afraid id accept any half decent offer...

Fair point mate for sure, I thought he still had 2 years, if 1 year tricky as you say, for me hope he gets his head down, if there is no reasonable offer, and does the job for us next season! :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm

The trouble is, how long does this player get to prove himself ? There are others, e.g. Flint, Pack, etc., who haven't had half the chances he's had but everyone wants them out already.

Just because he scores the odd good goal doesn't mean he's going to realise the undoubted natural talent that he has. He's now played under Warnock and Harris and is one of the few who has not performed under either for any sustained period.

I think we may have to cut our losses here because I just don't see any improvement in his consistency levels. It is not as if he's a youngster, at 25 he should be at his peak and I'm not sure how long we can wait for a player we played £10m for.

It's a shame but unless Harris can get to the bottom of why he's underperforming quickly I don't see what he has to offer. The aged Adomah had much more of a positive influence on the performances, making others around him reach higher levels. Murphy has never done that for more than one game in ten.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:00 pm

piledriver64 wrote:The trouble is, how long does this player get to prove himself ? There are others, e.g. Flint, Pack, etc., who haven't had half the chances he's had but everyone wants them out already.

Just because he scores the odd good goal doesn't mean he's going to realise the undoubted natural talent that he has. He's now played under Warnock and Harris and is one of the few who has not performed under either for any sustained period.

I think we may have to cut our losses here because I just don't see any improvement in his consistency levels. It is not as if he's a youngster, at 25 he should be at his peak and I'm not sure how long we can wait for a player we played £10m for.

It's a shame but unless Harris can get to the bottom of why he's underperforming quickly I don't see what he has to offer. The aged Adomah had much more of a positive influence on the performances, making others around him reach higher levels. Murphy has never done that for more than one game in ten.

Murphy 8 goals and 3 assists aged 25, Albert 0 goals 0 assists age 31, I know which one I’d prefer!

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:19 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:The trouble is, how long does this player get to prove himself ? There are others, e.g. Flint, Pack, etc., who haven't had half the chances he's had but everyone wants them out already.

Murphy 8 goals and 3 assists aged 25, Albert 0 goals 0 assists age 31, I know which one I’d prefer!

Albert adomah for me was really bad, nothing like 3-4 years ago when he looked a player, so 100% agree this,
Murphy 8 goals and 3 assists aged 25, Albert 0 goals 0 assists age 31, I know which one I’d prefer! :thumbup:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:23 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

So you think Murphy 8 goals and 3 assists is Ok in over 50 games :roll: :shock: Adomah played less than 9 full games, he certainly made Sanderson play and also brought others into the game. If you want to get technical if Murphy is averaging a goal every 8 games then Adomah wasn't far off matching his scoring rate with 0 :lol: :lol:

I'm not arguing we buy Adomah, merely pointing out Murphy does not deliver and questioning how long we have to wait for him to reach his potential when he can walk away for nothing in 12 months.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:30 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

So you think Murphy 8 goals and 3 assists is Ok in over 50 games :roll: :shock: Adomah played less than 9 full games, he certainly made Sanderson play and also brought others into the game. If you want to get technical if Murphy is averaging a goal every 8 games then Adomah wasn't far off matching his scoring rate with 0 :lol: :lol:

I'm not arguing we buy Adomah, merely pointing out Murphy does not deliver and questioning how long we have to wait for him to reach his potential when he can walk away for nothing in 12 months.

Was over 31 this season I think, many off the bench, but great points in your post, with underperforming and can we get the best out of him :thumbup:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 pm

DJ would have got at least 15 goals and 15 assists out of him. Different player to Whitts but the same underlying issues, he can't defend (properly) but compensates with innate talent. At our club none of the grafters put together can do what he can, but everyone concentrates on the stuff he can't do....

His dead balls are better than Ralls (massive Ralls cheerleader) they are accurate but flatter and faster (that's why Whitts was so special)

If we got Keiffer Moore (who has got so much better in my eye the more i watch Glatzel) then we add bulk up top and he will pin both centre halfs leaving NML and Murphy to run off him or at least give them the channel they both want in between the full back and centre halfs.

I have never been convinced when we play 4231, we look far better 433 but that leaves no room for Tomlin.... Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks have enough power, guts and athleticism to let the two wingers only need to drop a bit to help out like the Liverpool wingers do...Their job is to score GOALS because that's what win football matches.

I can see the logic he either signs an extension or we sell him, its up to Harris.

But for Josh, he and his twin brother both haven't settled at any club. That would be concerning.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:03 pm

It doesn't help that he barely defends and loses the ball a lot.

If he worked on his defending and showed a bit more aggression he would be starting and justify his price tag.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

You need to check your facts Josh played in 33 games for his 8 goals and 3 assists and still has 2 years left on his 4 year contract!
Adomah is a player not to sign we need some youngsters loaned from Prem Clubs !

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 pm

droyal wrote:GONE....

Still only 25, can score goals from midfield and be a real threat in the right system, if we can keep the ball more, think he can do great things for us...

I will get ripped for this post I know that, but he is very capable with the right management and system,he will be a very useful squad player at the very least, capable of 10 plus goals if stays fit and gets the chances..

he deserves at least one more year, and given more of a chance, if we are looking to push next season, we need at least 4-5 wingers that can do a job over the 46 games plus cup games.

Im not sure its to do with the system, he's a winger and we've played with out and out wingers for a while now. We can keep the ball all we want but the idea is when the winger gets the ball he beats his man and creates chances.

He has flashes of brilliance but we've seen it all before. 2 seasons here now and I keep waiting to be proven wrong!

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:04 am

llan bluebird wrote:DJ would have got at least 15 goals and 15 assists out of him. Different player to Whitts but the same underlying issues, he can't defend (properly) but compensates with innate talent. At our club none of the grafters put together can do what he can, but everyone concentrates on the stuff he can't do....

His dead balls are better than Ralls (massive Ralls cheerleader) they are accurate but flatter and faster (that's why Whitts was so special)

If we got Keiffer Moore (who has got so much better in my eye the more i watch Glatzel) then we add bulk up top and he will pin both centre halfs leaving NML and Murphy to run off him or at least give them the channel they both want in between the full back and centre halfs.

I have never been convinced when we play 4231, we look far better 433 but that leaves no room for Tomlin.... Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks have enough power, guts and athleticism to let the two wingers only need to drop a bit to help out like the Liverpool wingers do...Their job is to score GOALS because that's what win football matches.

I can see the logic he either signs an extension or we sell him, its up to Harris.

But for Josh, he and his twin brother both haven't settled at any club. That would be concerning.

What the same kiefer Moore that scored 2 more than Glatzel this season? I will give you that Moore has more assists,but that's because he knows the leagues here,and hasn't had to settle in a strange country,without family,and expected to get on the end of balls from, as someone said 30,000 ft!! But for 2m Moore would be a good addition,and I'd even suggest a super sub role for Glatzel, but certify wouldn't get rid,he has improved his game under Harris, and for me,he will be fine, all opinions of course :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:10 am

nubbsy wrote:
droyal wrote:GONE....

Im not sure its to do with the system, he's a winger and we've played with out and out wingers for a while now. We can keep the ball all we want but the idea is when the winger gets the ball he beats his man and creates chances.

He has flashes of brilliance but we've seen it all before. 2 seasons here now and I keep waiting to be proven wrong!

In his defence,that's what you tend to get with wingers, inconsistent performances,even the great Tony evans,he who walked on water :thumbup: had dips in form,on his day unplayable, on an off day,you wouldn't know he'd played.all the best wingers are snapped up by the big guns unfortunately, perhaps a young loan player from the prem,or for me spain,plenty of talented wingers there :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

You need to check your facts Josh played in 33 games for his 8 goals and 3 assists and still has 2 years left on his 4 year contract!

No, you check your facts.

He also played 30 games in 2018/19 season. Have a look at his goals/assists for that season too, it doesn’t help you argument !!!!!

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:56 am

piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

He also played 30 games in 2018/19 season. Have a look at his goals/assists for that season too, it doesn’t help you argument !!!!!

I was talking about this season! Last season in Premier League he scored 3 goals doesn’t give assists it’s the same as Mendez this season, Whyte 1, yet you don’t pick on them!

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

I was talking about this season! Last season in Premier League he scored 3 goals doesn’t give assists it’s the same as Mendez this season, Whyte 1, yet you don’t pick on them!

Maybe that's because NML was injured for most of the season, and when he came back looked one of our most dangerous players :roll:

As for Whyte, why would I mention him :? I don't think we should keep him either based on performances although admittedly he's had much less time than Murphy at Championship/Premiership level to adapt.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:36 am

piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Maybe that's because NML was injured for most of the season, and when he came back looked one of our most dangerous players :roll:

As for Whyte, why would I mention him :? I don't think we should keep him either based on performances although admittedly he's had much less time than Murphy at Championship/Premiership level to adapt.

Again if you check records, Mendez played more minutes than Murphy this season and he is a far better sub than starter as he soon runs out of energy and can’t pass to save his life!

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Guess signing in the Prem, his wages will be one of the highest we have, but hope we hold on, at least see what he is doing up until Jan, if getting the goals possible we cash in, if not look to get off the wage bill, either way love to have him doing well and playing his part :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 pm

For me Murphy doesen,t want to be here count his goals by the times he hits the deck at the minimal touch total waste of money

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm

skidemin wrote:on his day he is class mate.. but hasnt really seemed right for most of the season for whatever reason { homesick has been mentioned, but who knows } ..with just the one year left on his contract its either attempt to get him to extend { he could well not accept even if offered } , sell if an offer comes in or leave him go for nothing next June...as much as i rate his potential ability his actual effectiveness this year was very limited . if it were my choice im afraid id accept any half decent offer...

Agree with this.

Far too inconsistent.

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:15 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:

he wasnt talking about goals and assists though , he was talking about positive influence on performances... you cant measure two players effectiveness one against other purely by going on goals and assists... they might play roughly in the same part of the park but are very different players..

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am

skidemin wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

he wasnt talking about goals and assists though , he was talking about positive influence on performances... you cant measure two players effectiveness one against other purely by going on goals and assists... they might play roughly in the same part of the park but are very different players..

Goals and assists win games, we have defenders to defend who rarely score goals, like Tomlin, Murphy can’t defend but he can score goals to win games!

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Goals and assists win games, we have defenders to defend who rarely score goals, like Tomlin, Murphy can’t defend but he can score goals to win games!

thats why clubs always base transfer policy purely on goals and assists, and managers pick teams likewise ? they dont do they.. we wouldnt need a manager just someone with access to wiki..

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:07 pm

llan bluebird wrote:DJ would have got at least 15 goals and 15 assists out of him. Different player to Whitts but the same underlying issues, he can't defend (properly) but compensates with innate talent. At our club none of the grafters put together can do what he can, but everyone concentrates on the stuff he can't do....

i dont think Josh is anywhere near giving us a Whitts contribution at the moment tbh...your right in that Whitts didnt tear around tackling people but his positioning on the field i thought was always excellent. and you could always rely on him to be in the right place to take a yellow for the team.. Josh just drifts out of games, doesnt seem to see danger and overloads and its been worse this season...

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:43 pm

skidemin wrote:

i dont think Josh is anywhere near giving us a Whitts contribution at the moment tbh...your right in that Whitts didnt tear around tackling people but his positioning on the field i thought was always excellent. and you could always rely on him to be in the right place to take a yellow for the team.. Josh just drifts out of games, doesnt seem to see danger and overloads and its been worse this season...

Agreed. The game that sealed it for me was the second leg of the play-off against Fulham.

The whole team was right up for that game from the off. Murphy looked disinterested, didn't get involved and contributed very little in probably the most important game he's been involved in.

If you can't get up for a game like that then I'm not sure you're ever going to make a contribution.

That half hearted header from 6 yards out just about summed it all up !! He was substituted, yet again, and was lucky to stay on as long as he did.

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:03 pm

With the money from Murphy, Flint and Pack , we might get a half decent forward.
Murphy can’t seem to deal with the physical side of the championship....great on the ball at times but goes down too easily and too inconsistent....and don’t even go there with his tackling !

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:59 am

Blueman39 wrote:With the money from Murphy, Flint and Pack , we might get a half decent forward.
Murphy can’t seem to deal with the physical side of the championship....great on the ball at times but goes down too easily and too inconsistent....and don’t even go there with his tackling !

there have to be interested clubs prepared to offer us and them adequate money first... and thats only if Harris wants rid which isnt as obvious to me as it is some on here..

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 am

Has there been any indication that NH wants to get rid?

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Valley Blue wrote:Has there been any indication that NH wants to get rid?

all our players like most things, are for sale at the right price...only the manager knows to what degree he values them.. Harris has said 5 or 6 to leave to allow 3 or 4 to come in... bogle,jazz and connolly gone already and maybe danny ward...which means another 2 ?

and what on earth happened to connolly..? 5 promotions to the prem..player of the year in 2016 and hardly ever mentioned...