Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Owner Vincent Tan admits having to convince club to sign & p

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:27 am

Hmmmmm, very interesting?

Owner Vincent Tan admits having to convince club to sign & play player.

KV Kortrijk owner Vincent Tan admits having to convince club to sign Luqman Hakim

By Luqman Hakim, Malaysia

6th Aug 2020

Malaysian teen sensation Luqman Hakim Shamsudin has finally put pen to paper with Belgian top side KV Kortrijk, in an event held in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday, August 6.

But when talking to the press, the club's Malaysian owner Tan Sri Vincent Tan revealed that the Belgian side had initially been reluctant to bring the forward over.

VINCENT TAN:

"It was a big decision by the club, to give him a five-year contract. The management thought that he is too young, but as the owner I said 'we'll give him a chance.' When they are young they can run faster than the older players, and they have a higher value,sometimes managers have to listen to their owners advice."

"And it helps that Luqman has been listed as one of the best young footballers in the world and that he's recognised," says the tycoon, referring to The Guardian and Goal's top youth footballers lists that the 18-year old has been named on.

"I told the club that they must let him play instead of simply benching him, I want to see him start. He needs to prove to the coaches that he's good enough to play, even only as a substitution, even just for 10, 15 minutes. Let's see if the manager agrees with me. Sometimes a club owner can't simply tell the manager what he doesn't want to do."

"As the owner, I decided to give an opportunity to another Malaysian. And the club need to train him and give him opportunities. Surely they can give him a chance when the owner is Malaysian himself? They'd better play him, or not we'll just be paying him 'gaji buta' (Bahasa Melayu for getting a salary despite not doing any work)!" explained Vincent.

But he is adamant that Luqman can thrive in Europe, while hinting at the prospect of financially profiting from his success.

"However, at the end of the day, he has been signed because I believe that he can succeed. I'm not doing it just for show, it's a five-year contract after all. I am serious.

"God willing he'll succeed, and who knows maybe we'll get to make 20 million [from selling him to another club]. If it's 20 million, Selangor will profit too! They stand to get a percentage [of Luqman's future acquisition by another club], you know? If you want to know how big the percentage is, ask them yourselves," he hinted with a laugh, referring to the Kelantan-born player's former club.

The Malaysia junior international is expected to leave for Belgium next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Owner Vincent Tan admits having to convince club to sign

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:32 am

Annis it seems everyone is raving about this lad, they have given him a 5 year contract. I can see him coming to us on loan :thumbup:

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:36 am

Igovernor wrote:Annis it seems everyone is raving about this lad, they have given him a 5 year contract. I can see him coming to us on loan :thumbup:

Roger, Inwill be over the loo. If he comes to us and turns out brilliant :thumbright: :bluebird: , but this just shows what Malky/ Ole etc all said that Tan tried to tell the managers who to sign and play.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:03 am

Annis Mr Tan clearly says he cannot tell a manager what to do.
Personally surprised he went to Belgium and not us.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am

Annis I understand that KV were going to sign him but only on a 12month contract, may be wrong on this though!

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 am

JulesK wrote:Annis Mr Tan clearly says he cannot tell a manager what to do.

FFP. Like what happened with Zohore when we were in an embargo and had to loan him. I imagine we’ll probably “buy” this lad for nothing if he comes to us.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

Jules,

Thats not how i read it???

VINCENT TAN:

"It was a big decision by the club, to give him a five-year contract. The management thought that he is too young, but as the owner I said 'we'll give him a chance.' When they are young they can run faster than the older players, and they have a higher value,sometimes managers have to listen to their owners advice."

"And it helps that Luqman has been listed as one of the best young footballers in the world and that he's recognised," says the tycoon, referring to The Guardian and Goal's top youth footballers lists that the 18-year old has been named on.

"I told the club that they must let him play instead of simply benching him, I want to see him start. He needs to prove to the coaches that he's good enough to play, even only as a substitution, even just for 10, 15 minutes. Let's see if the manager agrees with me. Sometimes a club owner can't simply tell the manager what he doesn't want to do."

"As the owner, I decided to give an opportunity to another Malaysian. And the club need to train him and give him opportunities. Surely they can give him a chance when the owner is Malaysian himself? They'd better play him, or not we'll just be paying him 'gaji buta' (Bahasa Melayu for getting a salary despite not doing any work)!" explained Vincent.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:55 am

So was he scoured by the club OR did VT recommend him?

It sounds like VT signed him and has told the club to play him.

If he is as good as speculated, let's have him here for game time and experience.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Jules,

VINCENT TAN:

He also says:

"Let's see if the manager agrees with me. Sometimes a club owner can't simply tell the manager what he doesn't want to do"

Let's have a bit of balance !!

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Jules,

VINCENT TAN:

He also says:

"Let's see if the manager agrees with me. Sometimes a club owner can't simply tell the manager what he doesn't want to do"

He does but he does what he wants and it’s funny many previous managers say very similar things about him, all can’t be wrong .

Tan:

“The management thought that he is too young, but as the owner I said 'we'll give him a chance.' When they are young they can run faster than the older players, and they have a higher value,sometimes managers have to listen to their owners advice."

"I told the club that they must let him play instead of simply benching him, I want to see him start. He needs to prove to the coaches that he's good enough to play.”

"As the owner, I decided to give an opportunity to another Malaysian.”

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 pm

Capn Birds Eye wrote:

FFP. Like what happened with Zohore when we were in an embargo and had to loan him. I imagine we’ll probably “buy” this lad for nothing if he comes to us.

I think it's less to do with FFP and more to do with the fact he would fail a work permit to come here... However I think Belgium you only need 2/3 years and its much easier to get a work permit.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Annis it seems everyone is raving about this lad, they have given him a 5 year contract. I can see him coming to us on loan :thumbup:

Roger, Inwill be over the loo. If he comes to us and turns out brilliant :thumbright: :bluebird: , but this just shows what Malky/ Ole etc all said that Tan tried to tell the managers who to sign and play.

Owners should never dictate who to sign or play but i bet theres quite a few that do and have. Tan no doubt has and i'm not sure about Ridsdale but Sam hammam used to he even passed notes for the lawrence and went to the dugout to discuss the game and subs. And to be fair ole signed some right crap from Norway who Tan wouldn't have known about.
Malky got us promoted or was it Malky and Tan with his signings and team choice ? Or is it the owners are only interfering when things go bad.
Luckily Harris doesn't come across as a manager to put up with it.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Jules,

VINCENT TAN:

He also says:

He does but he does what he wants and it’s funny many previous managers say very similar things about him, all can’t be wrong .

Tan:

“The management thought that he is too young, but as the owner I said 'we'll give him a chance.' When they are young they can run faster than the older players, and they have a higher value,sometimes managers have to listen to their owners advice."

"I told the club that they must let him play instead of simply benching him, I want to see him start. He needs to prove to the coaches that he's good enough to play.”

"As the owner, I decided to give an opportunity to another Malaysian.”

Just out of curiosity,you say many previous managers Annis, ole,malky& who else? Also I would imagine the paragraph "I want to see him start,he needs to PROVE to the coaches he's good enough to play" says the most to me,this boy is obviously talented,and tan thinks talented enough to play 1st team football,and in truth,don't many owners do what they want anyway?,it's not a new phenomenon, in Turkey every owner interferes and has a say in recruitment! I mean did tan stop Malky buying acorn no,but I and many wished he had!! It seems every close season,some negative posts around tan appear,I don't personally get it? Imho,he is the best owner we have had (in my years of supporting anyway!) Without his money we would be dead and buried,and even more so during these unprecedented times! He has stopped us becoming another casualty (I believe more clubs are on the precipice of obscurity )of the covid fallout.we should be grateful,as if another thread is true,he could have sold us twice to date, but didn't like/trust the buyers were in it for the benefit of moving the club to the next phase (sustainable attempt at staying in premier league ) I for one am grateful that the man still will only sell to someone who has a vision for taking the club forward,look at poor old wigan :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 am

My understanding is that Vincent Tan paid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a lot of money when he left to sign a contract that meant he wouldn't talk about his time at Cardiff City.

That says a lot.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:My understanding is that Vincent Tan paid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a lot of money when he left to sign a contract that meant he wouldn't talk about his time at Cardiff City.

That says a lot.

That’s exactly what I was told from very reputable people in the football game Ned.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

Cool Hand Luq in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wls2ryfPls&vl=en

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:My understanding is that Vincent Tan paid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a lot of money when he left to sign a contract that meant he wouldn't talk about his time at Cardiff City.

That says a lot.

standard practice mate.. Malky apart , what manager left without a chunk of money ..or including MM has said anything interesting about Tan

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Owners should never dictate who to sign or play but i bet theres quite a few that do and have. Tan no doubt has and i'm not sure about Ridsdale but Sam hammam used to he even passed notes for the lawrence and went to the dugout to discuss the game and subs. And to be fair ole signed some right crap from Norway who Tan wouldn't have known about.
Malky got us promoted or was it Malky and Tan with his signings and team choice ? Or is it the owners are only interfering when things go bad.
Luckily Harris doesn't come across as a manager to put up with it.

more and more managers are called head coaches and have little say in who is signed... and who amongst us given the opportunity to own the club would turn up, sit there and say nothing ? to various degrees most owners get involved..including Sam who was forever in the changing room / dug out..

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:25 pm

Seems to me to be a pop at tan,as per usual during close season! As a poster above said,did tan dictate who played when we got promoted under mm,and warnock? Plus tan wouldn't have had the knowledge of scandanavian players,that was ogs choices. :old: :bluebird: