Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City players fought in bar '

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 am

Cardiff City duo fought in bar as Jay Bothroyd suffered serious tattoo burn - Anthony Gerrard tells all

The defender played for the Bluebirds for three years and has some amazing stories to tell from those pre-season trips to Portugal

Gerrard, and Parkin, said this sort of unruly behaviour was typical under Dave Jones and players use to be hungover.

By Glen Jones

Thursday 6th August 3020

Anthony Gerrard's time at Cardiff City coincided with arguably one of the greatest periods to be a Bluebirds fan.

From consistently high finishes in the Championship to so many narrow misses on promotion to the Premier League, that team under Dave Jones will go down as many City fans' favourite.

The visible chemistry on the pitch was served by the incredible team bonding which was so commonplace off it.

We heard from Michael Chopra about the countless hours spent playing Call of Duty together, while Gavin Rae shone a light on some of the antics the team got up to while on trips abroad. Now Gerrard has weighed in with some of his favourite yarns.

Gerrard, cousin of Liverpool legend and current Rangers boss Steven, joined the Bluebirds in the summer of 2009 and headed straight out to Portugal on the club's pre-season camp. Although Gerrard refers to the trips as the 'pre-season do', such was the party culture they enjoyed in Estoril.

The first trip down memory lane is a rib-tickler involving Paul Quinn, who had also just signed that same summer from Motherwell, and Gerrard recalls how the initial plan of wanting to make a good first impression went awry for the Scot, who became embroiled in a fight with star striker Chopra on one of his first nights on tour.

"I'm sitting next to Quinny (Paul Quinn), and he loves the booze, and we've just signed, so let's just nail it (training)," Gerrard told the Undr the Cosh podcast, hosted by former Bluebird Jon Parkin.

"Quinny just goes, 'We can go out for one though, can't we?'

"So I said, 'Yeah, lad, but lets just take it easy'. Oh my god, what a loose cannon he was!

"We go out, the lads are cracking on, having a beer, I can't even tell you where I ended up.

"I'm just in the corner thinking, 'This is my chance, what am I doing?'

"My phone goes and it was Macca (Stephen McPhail) and he said, 'Come and get Quinny, he's trying to batter Chops (Michael Chopra).

"I walk in this bar and I can see Quinny windmilling, giving Chops loads."

That first evening gave Gerrard a little taste of what these pre-season trips would entail as a Cardiff City player.

The next evening, though, served only to strengthen further the sort of group Gerrard had walked into.

"The next day, me and Quinny were off so as the lads walked in, we had our training kit on and the lads trot in at 7.30am, soaking wet, walking through the reception in Estoril," he added.

"I am ready to go to the training complex. I am walking down and I ask where they've been and they say they couldn't get a cab.

"I had only been there a day and I could tell they were lying.

"So I asked again and they said, 'You know that inflatable in the sea? That's where we've just been."

"I asked what time and they said, "We've just been, literally half six, we were all on this inflatable'."

Hungover players at these Portugal sessions were commonplace and Gerrard even remembers one of the coaches calling a halt to training and ordering them to go for a nap because the quality was so poor.

After one particularly heavy drinking session, Gerrard recalls, Jay Bothroyd failed to turn up to training one day in Portugal.

The reason is as hilarious as it sounds painful.

"Training finishes and someone comes running from the hotel and speaks to the manager, or whoever it was, and says it's about Jay," Gerrard remembers.

"So Jay had stood there, waiting to go training, and he fell over and landed on a car - in Portugal, which is like a frying pan - and burns all his shoulder and his arm.

"He had a picture, a tattoo, of his lad - I'm laughing because it's funny and terrible at the same time - and he's fallen on it and it's just frying. The skin is bubbling.

"They peeled him off and his kid looks like Freddie Krueger! It burnt the whole of his arm!

"He had been on the ale, hadn't had enough sleep and he has just gone, passed out.

"The scar was naughty. His kid, it looked beautiful, curly hair, a boss portrait, but after it, it looked like Freddie Krueger!"

Gerrard, and Parkin, said this sort of unruly behaviour was typical under Dave Jones.

The defender said if you gave your all on the training ground or in a match, the manager would happily "turn a blind eye" to the shenanigans off the pitch.

Jones gave his players a slackened rope and harnessed a culture of collective responsibility within the dressing room.

However both Gerrard and Parkin are of the mind that some players had too much influence over proceedings at the club, with the former recalling a time when Jones tried to change formation.

"We are jogging around and he (Jones) comes on this jog with us and says, 'Lads, I'm changing formation - 4-3-3'," the defender, who last played for Chesterfield, said

"Jay and Chops said, 'Woah, woah, woah, stop, we are not playing 4-3-3, that means one of us is going on the wing, we're not doing it'.

"(Jones says) 'OK then, we'll leave that one.'"

Gerrard, who turned out 74 times for the Bluebirds over three seasons, has incredibly fond memories of donning the Cardiff City blue.

En route to the play-off final against Blackpool at Wembley in his first season, he had played 46 games and had become a firm fan favourite, known for his no-nonsense tackling and aerial prowess.

He was unfit for the semi-finals against Leicester City but Jones told him he needed him for the final so to rest up and get ready for it.

The manager omitted him from the starting XI for the clash with the Royals, though, and Gerrard was teeming with rage.

He changed his Blackberry Messenger status to "46 games and for what?" and somehow word got back to Jones, who called him out in front of the whole squad on the eve of the Wembley showdown.

It caused a big confrontation, which only heightened Gerrard's rage and the defender claims he ended up grabbing Chopra by the throat, accusing him of telling the manager, before shouting down Bothroyd, claiming it was him who in fact dobbed him in.

After losing that play-off final, Gerrard was sent out on loan for a year, having fallen behind Gabor Gyepes in the pecking order.

Jones had been sacked upon his return and despite forcing his way back into the side, his relationship with Malky Mackay deteriorated as the season wore on.

He subsequently left the club in the summer of 2012, to join Huddersfield, but his lasting memories of the club prove just how deeply he loved being a Bluebird.

Anthony Gerrard:

"When I joined Cardiff, I thought I was staying there forever," he said of Cardiff.

"I just got that vibe from the football club, the city. When I left, it proper broke my heart.

"The fans loved me at that point. I was doing everything, smashing people, scoring a couple of goals, winding the Jacks up when we beat them 2-1, so that endeared me (to Bluebirds fans).

"I was just loving it."

Still just 34, Gerrard went on to have lengthy spells at clubs such as Huddersfield Town and Oldham Athletic.

He was released from his contract at Cheterfield at the start of 2020 and is yet to find a new club.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Cardiff City players fought in bar '

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am

We put this kind of behaviour was happening every week under DJ, Carl on the forum & got criticised and many said it was not true.
Hmmmm?

Gerrard, and Parkin, said this sort of unruly behaviour was typical under Dave Jones.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We put this kind of behaviour was happening every week under DJ, Carl on the forum & got criticised and many said it was not true.
Hmmmm?

I think it was common knowledge in the wider footballing fraternity that this kind of “culture” ,,, and behaviour was going on at our club, at this time period. That all important game v Middlesbrough when we were 0-3 down after 20 odd minutes was just a hint of this. I could never understand also, our tame performance v Ipswich during our last home game at Ninian Park,,, something just wasn’t right,,,, and they were two “must win games”,,, at the time.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We put this kind of behaviour was happening every week under DJ, Carl on the forum & got criticised and many said it was not true.
Hmmmm?

Yep I remember Carl getting stick for it. This sort of stuff always comes out in the open once players come to the end of their careers.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Lost the podcast.... They've all said though to be fair. Players had too much power. DJ said he was thinking of playing 433, and bothroyd and chopra both overruled him. Player power was huge at the club... But they all said, under DJ it might of been wild, but it worked..

Part two come out Tuesday and malky sounds even worse. Some of the stories about malky from some of the guests make me wonder how malky was a success. A man management has come across as shocking

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Hmmmm?

I think it was common knowledge in the wider footballing fraternity that this kind of “culture” ,,, and behaviour was going on at our club, at this time period. That all important game v Middlesbrough when we were 0-3 down after 20 odd minutes was just a hint of this. I could never understand also, our tame performance v Ipswich during our last home game at Ninian Park,,, something just wasn’t right,,,, and they were two “must win games”,,, at the time.

Yes Rick that’s very true, I was thinking of the BORO game and DJ’S players out pissed the night before . We were worse than awful .

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Hmmmm?

Yep I remember Carl getting stick for it. This sort of stuff always comes out in the open once players come to the end of their careers.

That’s exactly what happened Ian. Real stick and I always say wait one day it will all come out and those posters disappear again, never an apology or I was wrong.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Don’t forget the infamous game at Preston where we lost 6-0 and ultimately missed out on play offs ....reading articles like this makes you wonder what condition the players were in for some of these games after going out night before

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:38 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
Hmmmm?

Yes Rick that’s very true, I was thinking of the BORO game and DJ’S players out pissed the night before . We were worse than awful .

Yeah , We were awful that game ..... stories of Soda bar ( I think ) night before ?
I think J.Lloyd Samuel was taken off just after the 3rd goal ?

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:03 pm

billy ronson wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
Hmmmm?

Yeah , We were awful that game ..... stories of Soda bar ( I think ) night before ?

Annis that was the game I had that argument with DJ golfing partner.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm

billy ronson wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
Hmmmm?

it wasnt really the night before though was it. the player awards were Saturday night and the game was on Monday..

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Not a very good culture at the club.
No wonder we kept missing out.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:19 pm

stickywicket wrote:Not a very good culture at the club.

the other side of that is we got to watch some fantastic football , did achieve becoming a serious force in the 2nd tier which we hadnt been for 50 years .
but yes he assembled the dirty dozen.. players who all had baggage who had they all been goody two shoes church goers wouldnt have been playing for us or in the second tier anyway....its not like they had fantastic careers before coming here or went on to become well behaved premier league superstars...
we always want more though..
as for club tours... group of 20 year olds away for a week/ fortnight... yes there is going to be mischief.. at least thats my experience..

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm

skidemin wrote:

the other side of that is we got to watch some fantastic football , did achieve becoming a serious force in the 2nd tier which we hadnt been for 50 years .
but yes he assembled the dirty dozen.. players who all had baggage who had they all been goody two shoes church goers wouldnt have been playing for us or in the second tier anyway....its not like they had fantastic careers before coming here or went on to become well behaved premier league superstars...
as for club tours... group of 20 year olds away for a week/ fortnight... yes there is going to be mischief.. at least thats my experience..

Spot on
Glass half full for me,play offs,Wembley 3 times and FA cup final and some great games with great footballers.
So we eventually failed at the final hurdle but it was a blast of a roller coaster ride.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am

theclaw wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Who knows,,, and It just begs the question what if,,,, what could we have achieved with a more disciplined and focused management approach?

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:19 am

stayed in Vale de Lobo the year if the algrave cup In fact Dave Jones had the villa next to
me ( miserable git ) The players were extremely well behaved in the restaurants and at the golf cup when
i saw them In fact the seemed too well behaved for a group of 20/40 year old footballers Maybe the had a warning lol
Spencer Prior seems to be making sure everything went ok as far as i could see

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:39 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
theclaw wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Who knows,,, and It just begs the question what if,,,, what could we have achieved with a more disciplined and focused management approach?

either less or a lot less... the idea that a bunch of talented but flawed individuals could be assembled and collectively respond to a disciplinarian regime here when a big part of them being here in the first place was not responding in more disciplined groups is a bit ideal world.. yes they could have achieved more but could also have been a hell of a lot less .. thought he handled a difficult group really well and generally got the best out of them.. and gets no credit for it... as good as they were {personally i loved watching that team } non of them kicked on after leaving , in fact hardly anyone wanted them.. having sat in a nearly empty NP week in week out watching dross for 20 years i am glad he came here and will always look at those years as special...

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:41 pm

skidemin wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
theclaw wrote:
skidemin wrote:

either less or a lot less... the idea that a bunch of talented but flawed individuals could be assembled and collectively respond to a disciplinarian regime here when a big part of them being here in the first place was not responding in more disciplined groups is a bit ideal world.. yes they could have achieved more but could also have been a hell of a lot less .. thought he handled a difficult group really well and generally got the best out of them.. and gets no credit for it... as good as they were {personally i loved watching that team } non of them kicked on after leaving , in fact hardly anyone wanted them.. having sat in a nearly empty NP week in week out watching dross for 20 years i am glad he came here and will always look at those years as special...

Good post mate.
Better to have loved and lost than not loved at all as the saying goes.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:13 pm

That squad stuffed Leeds 4-0 and after that game a leeds fan said to me you are a mid Premier team in waiting. I believed he was right but we blew it. If this ulture existed as being described here then that makes me angry it was not sorted out.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:That squad stuffed Leeds 4-0 and after that game a leeds fan said to me you are a mid Premier team in waiting. I believed he was right but we blew it. If this ulture existed as being described here then that makes me angry it was not sorted out.

it probably was for about 70% of our games and probably not mid table championship the other 30%
but angry at not having to watch 11 road diggers scrape staying up...not me mate. had some of them won champions leagues elsewhere, then maybe..

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 pm

You’ve only got to read Craig Bellamy’s “Goodfella” to get an idea of the lack of professionalism under his tenure,,, at that time, and the changes and improvements To attitude and professionalism that Malay Mackay instilled as soon as he arrived.

Let’s not forget also that DJ was one of the best paid managers in the Championship at the time. Very well paid to do his job, and, I believe received bonuses after he left (allegedly).

DJ also had a very good coach, Terry Burton, who, if I remember correctly Sam Hamman brought in the season before DJ was appointed (by Peter Ridsdale). Terry Burton, was in my opinion, was integral to the way we played on the pitch, not off it, which was under DJ’s control,,, to a certain extent anyway.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:You’ve only got to read Craig Bellamy’s “Goodfella” to get an idea of the lack of professionalism under his tenure,,, at that time, and the changes and improvements To attitude and professionalism that Malay Mackay instilled as soon as he arrived.

Let’s not forget also that DJ was one of the best paid managers in the Championship at the time. Very well paid to do his job, and, I believe received bonuses after he left (allegedly).

DJ also had a very good coach, Terry Burton, who, if I remember correctly Sam Hamman brought in the season before DJ was appointed (by Peter Ridsdale). Terry Burton, was in my opinion, was integral to the way we played on the pitch, not off it, which was under DJ’s control,,, to a certain extent anyway.

im not talking about his wage.. which neither of us actually knows... you dont like him simples...burton takes credit for the good DJ gets the shit for anything bad...nope
as for Craig Bellamys book .. he was always right and hard done by and everyone else was wrong.. even talked himself out of a champions league final app... seriously ?

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:11 am

skidemin wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:You’ve only got to read Craig Bellamy’s “Goodfella” to get an idea of the lack of professionalism under his tenure,,, at that time, and the changes and improvements To attitude and professionalism that Malay Mackay instilled as soon as he arrived.

im not talking about his wage.. which neither of us actually knows... you dont like him simples...burton takes credit for the good DJ gets the shit for anything bad...nope
as for Craig Bellamys book .. he was always right and hard done by and everyone else was wrong.. even talked himself out of a champions league final app... seriously ?

Not simples at all, and I’ve got nothing for or against DJ personally. No one can doubt he certainly got City performing in the right direction, However, sticking to the original post, the fact was he allowed a level of freedom And liberty within his squad, that, and most certainly did get taken advantage of,,,,, and certain players certainly did take advantage more than others,,, and were allowed to do so. One rule for one, and one rule for another. There were certainly favourites in the camp, that’s for sure.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:51 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Not simples at all, and I’ve got nothing for or against DJ personally. No one can doubt he certainly got City performing in the right direction, However, sticking to the original post, the fact was he allowed a level of freedom And liberty within his squad, that, and most certainly did get taken advantage of,,,,, and certain players certainly did take advantage more than others,,, and were allowed to do so. One rule for one, and one rule for another. There were certainly favourites in the camp, that’s for sure.

i dunno mate.. how far do you take favourites ? Tomlin doesnt train every day at the moment.. Bellamy couldnt fully train under MM either or play twice a week apparently . and its the same issues at most clubs.. i think managers generally play what they think is in their mind the best team because at the end of the day results effect their job and their careers far more than the players. you or i might not agree but that doesnt mean he is picking based on favouritism.. .. and if getting an extra 5 or 10% out of someone means you cut them a bit more slack, its what you do...and as a fan its what i want them to do. manage as he sees fit whoever the manager is...
i will say again though, my point is not that they were on times not ill disciplined.. because they were.. it was more a case of bringing in under performing problem players who other clubs were willing to let go reasonably and get performances out of them others had failed to.. or were just fed up of .. and most of the time he did..

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 am

skidemin wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:

i dunno mate.. how far do you take favourites ? Tomlin doesnt train every day at the moment.. Bellamy couldnt fully train under MM either or play twice a week apparently . and its the same issues at most clubs.. i think managers generally play what they think is in their mind the best team because at the end of the day results effect their job and their careers far more than the players. you or i might not agree but that doesnt mean he is picking based on favouritism.. .. and if getting an extra 5 or 10% out of someone means you cut them a bit more slack, its what you do...and as a fan its what i want them to do. manage as he sees fit whoever the manager is...
i will say again though, my point is not that they were on times not ill disciplined.. because they were.. it was more a case of bringing in under performing problem players who other clubs were willing to let go reasonably and get performances out of them others had failed to.. or were just fed up of .. and most of the time he did..

Points taken, and your probably right. I suppose you do what you have to do, and manage accordingly. DJ was the right fit for our club at the time, and the big shame was that we just fell short of the “line”.... Such is life.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Points taken, and your probably right. I suppose you do what you have to do, and manage accordingly. DJ was the right fit for our club at the time, and the big shame was that we just fell short of the “line”.... Such is life.

i think it was the right time for him to go mate... time for a change, and MM took us up, i appreciated the football under MM and was chuffed to go up ..but enjoyed the actual games less if that makes sense..

Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:19 am

We have had these stories doing the rounds for years

It’s no secret that the discipline in DJ’s squads was at times shocking and this is the main reason we fell at the final hurdle on so many occasions, That squad could and should have got to the Premier League but it didn’t and players behaving like idiots was the main reason

However, do you notice in all the different stories that come out it’s always the same players, the “usual suspects” who are mentioned tine and time again for their antics

While, they may find it amusing to talk about now, people like Gerrard, Parkin, Chopra and a few others let their team, club and us as supporters down and let us down badly

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:18 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:We have had these stories doing the rounds for years

It’s no secret that the discipline in DJ’s squads was at times shocking and this is the main reason we fell at the final hurdle on so many occasions, That squad could and should have got to the Premier League but it didn’t and players behaving like idiots was the main reason

However, do you notice in all the different stories that come out it’s always the same players, the “usual suspects” who are mentioned tine and time again for their antics

While, they may find it amusing to talk about now, people like Gerrard, Parkin, Chopra and a few others let their team, club and us as supporters down and let us down badly

Chopra was a top striker at that level at the time and regardless of his antics off the pitch imo he never let us down. I di sometimes wonder though what he’d have achieved if he was a total pro off the pitch.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:06 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Chopra was a top striker at that level at the time and regardless of his antics off the pitch imo he never let us down. I di sometimes wonder though what he’d have achieved if he was a total pro off the pitch.

Chopra would almost certainly been an even better player if he concentrated on the game he was playing in rather than the result of the 3.25 at Kempton :old: :old:

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Chopra would almost certainly been an even better player if he concentrated on the game he was playing in rather than the result of the 3.25 at Kempton :old: :old:

I agree mate, but he’s not in the ‘let us down’ category imo