Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Claims Gareth Bale didn’t want to play ‘

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:02 am

Zinedine Zidane claims Gareth Bale didn't want to play in Man City clash as Real Madrid boss holds tense press conference

'All I'll say is he preferred to not travel. The rest is between us and him'

Friday 7th August 2020

Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has sensationally claimed Gareth Bale was left out of his squad for Friday's Champions League clash with Manchester City because he didn't want to travel.

Zidane's relationship with the Welsh superstar is thought to be at an all-time low and the rift between the boss and player was seemingly widened on Wednesday this week when Bale was left out of the 24-man Real squad for the last-16 clash with City.

Now, speaking ahead of Friday's huge match at the Etihad Stadium, Zidane lifted the lid on the situation with the 31-year-old.

"Many things have been said but we have a respectful relationship between the club and player," Zidane said.

"But all I'll say is he preferred to not travel. The rest is between us and him.

"We had a private conversation that will remain private."

He later added: "Bale didn't disappoint me. I'm not going to tell you anything. It's the third question about Gareth, I just said what happened.

"I have a lot of respect for Gareth and I think what goes on in the changing room stays in the changing room. This is a private matter."

Asked if Bale had a future at Real, Zidane said: "I don't know. Now he is a current player at Real Madrid.

"That has not changed. He is our player. I respect that and I respect him, like everyone else.

"He preferred not to play. That is the only thing I can tell you.

"The rest of us are all here, preparing for the game. The only thing we are concentrating on is the game."

It remains to be seen if Bale is moved on this summer, with the player previously claiming he is willing to see out his contract, which runs until the end of the 2021-22 season. His wages of around £600,000 a week before tax mean few teams could match his salary unless he was willing to take a substantial pay cut.

Bale has become a peripheral figure at the Bernabeu after falling out of favour under Zidane.

The situation in the Spanish capital has intensified in recent weeks, with Bale coming in for heavy criticism for his antics on the Madrid bench, pretending to be asleep at one match as Zidane refused to use him.

Club fans then voted him Real Madrid's worst player of the year, while Bale appeared an ostracised figure during La Liga title-winning celebrations.

Despite that, Real teammate Casemiro gave Bale a huge vote of confidence by claiming he can still be in the top three players in the world.

"Gareth knows he’s not having the best time of his career, but he has the support of us, the coach and the club", he told Esporte Interativo.

"It is very important to us and can surprise at any time." You can read the full story here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Claims Gareth Bale didn’t want to play ‘

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:09 am

Forever Blue wrote:Zinedine Zidane claims Gareth Bale didn't want to play in Man City clash as Real Madrid boss holds tense press conference

'All I'll say is he preferred to not travel. The rest is between us and him'

Friday 7th August 2020

Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has sensationally claimed Gareth Bale was left out of his squad for Friday's Champions League clash with Manchester City because he didn't want to travel.

Zidane's relationship with the Welsh superstar is thought to be at an all-time low and the rift between the boss and player was seemingly widened on Wednesday this week when Bale was left out of the 24-man Real squad for the last-16 clash with City.

Now, speaking ahead of Friday's huge match at the Etihad Stadium, Zidane lifted the lid on the situation with the 31-year-old.

"Many things have been said but we have a respectful relationship between the club and player," Zidane said.

"But all I'll say is he preferred to not travel. The rest is between us and him.

"We had a private conversation that will remain private."

He later added: "Bale didn't disappoint me. I'm not going to tell you anything. It's the third question about Gareth, I just said what happened.

"I have a lot of respect for Gareth and I think what goes on in the changing room stays in the changing room. This is a private matter."

Asked if Bale had a future at Real, Zidane said: "I don't know. Now he is a current player at Real Madrid.

"That has not changed. He is our player. I respect that and I respect him, like everyone else.

"He preferred not to play. That is the only thing I can tell you.

"The rest of us are all here, preparing for the game. The only thing we are concentrating on is the game."

It remains to be seen if Bale is moved on this summer, with the player previously claiming he is willing to see out his contract, which runs until the end of the 2021-22 season. His wages of around £600,000 a week before tax mean few teams could match his salary unless he was willing to take a substantial pay cut.

Bale has become a peripheral figure at the Bernabeu after falling out of favour under Zidane.

The situation in the Spanish capital has intensified in recent weeks, with Bale coming in for heavy criticism for his antics on the Madrid bench, pretending to be asleep at one match as Zidane refused to use him.

Club fans then voted him Real Madrid's worst player of the year, while Bale appeared an ostracised figure during La Liga title-winning celebrations.

Despite that, Real teammate Casemiro gave Bale a huge vote of confidence by claiming he can still be in the top three players in the world.

"Gareth knows he’s not having the best time of his career, but he has the support of us, the coach and the club", he told Esporte Interativo.

"It is very important to us and can surprise at any time." You can read the full story here.

Trying to push him out again ,nice pay off coming for him i think

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 am

I reckon that the conversation was that Bale asked Zidane if he was going to play, and Zidane either said I cannot guarantee that or No you are not going to play, so Bale said ok it's pointless me traveling then, just my opinion :thumbup:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 am

Igovernor wrote:I reckon that the conversation was that Bale asked Zidane if he was going to play, and Zidane either said I cannot guarantee that or No you are not going to play, so Bale said ok it's pointless me traveling then, just my opinion :thumbup:

Yes probably along those lines, they are having a pissing competition and neither want's to give way, they will try and bully him out, he's strong and stubborn enough to stick it out unless they pay :thumbup:

Well done Bale tell him where to go :thumbup:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:51 am

I dont believe anything Zidane says regarding Bale. Bale is a welsh hero and legend and its so disrespectful putting his name in shame with everyone in Spain wanting the welshman gone. I feel for Bale people may point to how much he is earning but he cant do what he loves and playing football is that. He has been restricted with little to no impact throughout the La Liga season. I for one wish Bale comes home to the UK and start making a name for himself again in the Premier League. Every welshman backs Bale and im sure he knows whats the right thing to do is. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:07 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I reckon that the conversation was that Bale asked Zidane if he was going to play, and Zidane either said I cannot guarantee that or No you are not going to play, so Bale said ok it's pointless me traveling then, just my opinion :thumbup:

Yes probably along those lines, they are having a pissing competition and neither want's to give way, they will try and bully him out, he's strong and stubborn enough to stick it out unless they pay :thumbup:

Well they needed someone tonight as hazzard modric were crap tonight and go out of cup... :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:13 pm

I read somewhere that Bale did apparently say to Zidane its pointless going all that way if you have no intention of playing me...and Bale is right.

What I don't understand is that no team will get an offer for a player that is not even getting on the subs bench. If Real really wanted to sell him they needed to put him in the shop window by playing him. They will lose tens of millions because of Zidane's stubbornness.

Glad they lost tonight!

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 pm

He must feel like whats the point in playing for a team that clearly dont want him, and fans boo him everytime. If he came on and scored he would still get booed. Its a waste of time and energy giving a club that hates him whatever he does. so he goes elsewhere and ignore football politics while playing a sport he wants to be doing golf. But Bale will forever have a home here in Cardiff whenever he wants and we will welcome him with open hearts whenever he does his bet for Wales. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Well they needed someone tonight as hazzard modric were crap tonight and go out of cup... :mrgreen:

Spot On Allan :thumbup:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 pm

Bale will be on his way soon. Guys dont believe in this he can stay there for 2 years if he wants. Real can offer him a payoff and if bale rejects it then Real can enforce it through a court and they will win providing its a good deal.

If Zidane wants him out then why are Madrid pussying about? Ideally they would want him to be transfered but due to his contract that looks like a no go as no one would be willing to pay that much for a player that old. So the only other option is a payoff.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:07 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Bale will be on his way soon. Guys dont believe in this he can stay there for 2 years if he wants. Real can offer him a payoff and if bale rejects it then Real can enforce it through a court and they will win providing its a good deal.

If Zidane wants him out then why are Madrid pussying about? Ideally they would want him to be transfered but due to his contract that looks like a no go as no one would be willing to pay that much for a player that old. So the only other option is a payoff.

the contract... quoted as 350k a wk and 35 million over 2 years.. i do not really see a problem purely with the amount....if given a free transfer 35 mill really is not a lot to take on to have Bale ..id imagine lesser players will move clubs for similar transfer fees this summer with the buying club haveing the wage to find as well... what could well be a problem is clubs not wanting to be seen paying those sort of wages and the knock on effect when existing players come to renew contracts..like the ozil / Ramsey mess at Arsenal..

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:06 am

Real Madrid will have to pay his contract up before he goes. Don’t blame him at all for staying out!

As he knows a bad start next season and old Zidane will be gone first.

What an over rated manager he is and imo nothing special at football either.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Zidane comes out with the " he didn't want to play " crap now they are out but previous to travelling Bale was not in squad !!
Make your mind up ZZ !!

Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:49 am

Anyone with half a brain cell knows this is just zidane spin. He hasn’t played him for weeks letting him watch from the stands so there’s no way he’d ask him if he wanted to play all of a sudden. Does ZZ think we are all that naive? Hope he gets a decent move got a feeling it’s going to be Man Utd though.

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 am

Bale is trying to force them to pay up the majority of his contract so he can come and play for his home town club. He can then work part time in his bar to REALLY learn the ropes and retire as the full time landlord there

Wants to get Cardiff in the prem and keep us there first. He sees this as the ultimate achievement in his football career

Heard it here first

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:15 am

Spoilt and entitled club that massively overpaid on Bale extension spitting its dummy out because they can't get their own way.

I can't see how they can do anything other than sell him for £25 ~35 million and come to an arrangement with Gareth's agent with a salary make up agreement so he doesn't lose his £35 over two years. Madrid will come out of it at least neutral but probably with a few quid.

Probably every move is scrutinized by lawyers as exclusion is a form of bullying and against EU employment law, but so is refusing to perform your job.......

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:33 pm

JulesK wrote:Zidane comes out with the " he didn't want to play " crap now they are out but previous to travelling Bale was not in squad !!
Make your mind up ZZ !!

the story is a few days old mate.. ZZ said this the day prior to the game. doubt its a flat out lie but probably not the whole truth either...

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Totally disagree

Bale is a spoilt, arrogant, stroppy little boy in a man's body. He expects to play, do you guys know how he trains, acts etc, NO you just believe a paper that generally spouts shit.

He maybe Welsh hero but he's an arrogant prick, my mates his cousin and said hes so far up his own arse AND DOESN'T BOTHER WITH THEM now he's Mr Big boy..

Wether he plays or not he should be travelling regardless.

There's a reason the fans, players hate him.

Wales golf Madrid

Guys a prick and not fit to lace Ronaldo or Messi boots.

Regardless of anything Zidane is manager, he should have told the arrogant prick to travel or he's sacked.

That's how it works in the real world.

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Citysince72 wrote:Totally disagree

Bale is a spoilt, arrogant, stroppy little boy in a man's body. He expects to play, do you guys know how he trains, acts etc, NO you just believe a paper that generally spouts shit.

He maybe Welsh hero but he's an arrogant prick, my mates his cousin and said hes so far up his own arse AND DOESN'T BOTHER WITH THEM now he's Mr Big boy..

Wether he plays or not he should be travelling regardless.

There's a reason the fans, players hate him.

Wales golf Madrid

Guys a prick and not fit to lace Ronaldo or Messi boots.

Regardless of anything Zidane is manager, he should have told the arrogant prick to travel or he's sacked.

That's how it works in the real world.

well thats certainly a different take on it...

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Indeed it is mate

I know he's a proud Welsh man (we all are) and a very good player, but if this was CCFC and he couldn't be bothered to travel unless he plays (if true) id want him out of our club, what happened to earning your place in the team, training hard, forcing your way in.

Whatever Zidane thinks of him, I'm certain he'd play him if he was up to standard,

He had a bad attitude at Spurs, the attention he's received has built his ego to a ridicolous level.

He's injured more than he plays, sorry to be harsh but for his wage etc he should be more professional.

There's a reason he's disliked, even by some of his own family.

And if not picked, why doesn't he still go and support his team mates, the club that pays his wages it's not a long way to travel to be fair.

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Citysince72 wrote:Indeed it is mate

I know he's a proud Welsh man (we all are) and a very good player, but if this was CCFC and he couldn't be bothered to travel unless he plays (if true) id want him out of our club, what happened to earning your place in the team, training hard, forcing your way in.

Whatever Zidane thinks of him, I'm certain he'd play him if he was up to standard,

He had a bad attitude at Spurs, the attention he's received has built his ego to a ridicolous level.

He's injured more than he plays, sorry to be harsh but for his wage etc he should be more professional.

And if not picked, why doesn't he still go and support his team mates, the club that pays his wages it's not a long way to travel to be fair.

ive met him twice very briefly and he was great.. but i sure do not know him well enough to have an opinion.. but there are always two sides to a story..

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:18 am

skidemin wrote:

ive met him twice very briefly and he was great.. but i sure do not know him well enough to have an opinion.. but there are always two sides to a story..

Always 2 sides my friend.

My mate (his cousin) I've known 35 years and is as sound as they come. He told me they were close as kids, holidays etc. But,at a family wedding a few years back he blanked him and other family members and he's not spoke to him since. Said he was acting like he was bigger than Elvis. His own mother kicked off with him.

If I said to my boss I'm not bothering travelling as possibly not much work I'd be handed my p45.

That's my opinion if what ZZ said is true.

Defoe said he become such a prema Donna at Spurs he would dictate when he trained.

Plus he looks like a chimpanzee.

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:33 am

Jimmykingz wrote:Bale is trying to force them to pay up the majority of his contract so he can come and play for his home town club. He can then work part time in his bar to REALLY learn the ropes and retire as the full time landlord there

Wants to get Cardiff in the prem and keep us there first. He sees this as the ultimate achievement in his football career

Heard it here first

It amazes me why people just can't see this. We have some smart people on this forum yet even they can't see this.

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:57 am

Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

My mate (his cousin) I've known 35 years and is as sound as they come. He told me they were close as kids, holidays etc. But,at a family wedding a few years back he blanked him and other family members and he's not spoke to him since. Said he was acting like he was bigger than Elvis. His own mother kicked off with him.

If I said to my boss I'm not bothering travelling as possibly not much work I'd be handed my p45.

Defoe said he become such a prema Donna at Spurs he would dictate when he trained.

so i take it you dont much like him :lol:
ive heard the Spurs training story before , and although from an ex international he had it from someone else so it was 2nd hand so i tend to take stuff like this with a pinch of salt as it could just mean one or two sessions for good reasons that were private, or him being an egomaniac..

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:57 pm

skidemin wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

ive heard the Spurs training story before , and although from an ex international he had it from someone else so it was 2nd hand so i tend to take stuff like this with a pinch of salt as it could just mean one or two sessions for good reasons that were private, or him being an egomaniac..

Haha, not a fan after my mates stories

That's the fun of it all, we will never know the real truths

But I'm a realist that often gets it wrong but I certainly don't think Bale is a victim in it, he's definitely an egomaniac for me

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

But I'm a realist that often gets it wrong but I certainly don't think Bale is a victim in it, he's definitely an egomaniac for me

taking aside what sort of person he is... it really is Real Madrids problem to solve , he clearly is not in breach of contract as they would sack him... so its how much are they are prepared to lose... my take on them is no club is more responsible for driving fees and wages up and its been over an eternity .. so the bigger the hit the better..

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I have no personal knowledge of how he is but I do know that he often flies friends out from Cardiff to holiday with him and his wife on a private jet. That includes girlfriends of mates and there were around 20 of them last time.

Maybe the people who think he's arrogant just weren't included in that closer circle and are a bit bitter ?

I don't know what type of guy he is but unless you have direct dealings it's always dangerous to take other people's word for it.

Two sides to every story as they say.

Also, players dictating when they train is not unusual particularly when they are managing longstanding injuries (Bale has long had calf issues). It happened with Bellamy at a number of clubs (including ours), Ledley King, Paul McGrath, etc.

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:32 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Citysince72 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I have no personal knowledge of how he is but I do know that he often flies friends out from Cardiff to holiday with him and his wife on a private jet. That includes girlfriends of mates and there were around 20 of them last time.

Maybe the people who think he's arrogant just weren't included in that closer circle and are a bit bitter ?

I don't know what type of guy he is but unless you have direct dealings it's always dangerous to take other people's word for it.

Two sides to every story as they say.

Also, players dictating when they train is not unusual particularly when they are managing longstanding injuries (Bale has long had calf issues). It happened with Bellamy at a number of clubs (including ours), Ledley King, Paul McGrath, etc.

Absolutely mate, always 2 sides

We all just give our views/comments but not one of us knows the real truth.

I don't doubt his quality but I definitely doubt his attitude and don't think he is a victim in this.

But as we say, it's just opinions.

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:34 pm

I have friend of a friend who says that Bale is one of the nicest guys around, so shall I believe him or citysince72 what a dilemma no proof either way, but it is easy to put stuff on the internet with absolutely no proof whatsoever :thumbup:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:31 pm

The problem with some family is that as soon as someone becomes famous or wins/gets a lot of money a lot of them seem to think that they should get something from it or are owed something and when they don't get anything or perceive that they have been slighted they tend to make up shit or blow things out of proportion.