Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Neil Etheridge '

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Why Blues should be looking at Cardiff ‘keeper Neil Etheridge

By Sean Kennedy

Sunday 9th August 2020

We are one day away from pre-season and with Lee Camp released and Connal Trueman loaned out to AFC Wimbledon, we find ourselves without any senior keepers.

There has been speculation in the past week linking Karl Darlow and Joe Hart to Blues, although, the latter is very doubtful due to reports from BBC WM. However, I think a realistic target that Blues should have their eyes on is Cardiff shot-stopper, Neil Etheridge.

The 30-year-old played a large part in Cardiff’s promotion to the Premier League in the 2017/18 season starting 45 out of 46 league games. Etheridge kept the fourth most clean sheets in the Championship that season, shutting out his opponents 19 times and averaged conceding a goal every 109 minutes of play, which was the second-longest period only behind John Ruddy who conceded every 113 minutes*.

* These statistics were gathered from Transfermarkt and only include goalkeepers who played over 40 matches

Despite Cardiff getting relegated from the Premier League in the 18/19 season; Neil Etheridge was a player who caught my eye. He kept the joint 6th most clean sheets in the league along with Kasper Schmeichel keeping out their opponents 10 times in 38 games.

Etheridge also made three penalty saves that season out of 7 kicks from 12 yards. Just by watching him at times, he kept Cardiff in games and was a big part in them taking their survival battle to the penultimate game of the season when many had tipped them to comfortably finish rock bottom.

Stu Forster/Getty Images SportStu Forster/Getty Images Sport

Unfortunately for Etheridge, since the sacking of Neil Warnock and the appointment of Neil Harris, he found himself relegated to the bench in January and was replaced by Alex Smithies.

Etheridge is a brilliant keeper at this level and at 30 years old, he still has a few good years left in him which he surely doesn’t want to spend sitting on the bench. This season he made some fantastic saves at the Cardiff City Stadium against Blues which kept the score down and allowed Cardiff to clinch all three points. If Blues want to push up the table next season we’ll need to be tighter at the back and Neil Etheridge would be a good start at strengthening defensively.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Neil Etheridge '

Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:02 pm

He is in talks with an overseas club I believe

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:42 am

Who are the blues? So many “blues” out there. How is there an article about a link to a move away for our Goalkeeper and not once is the club in question even named in the article lol

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:47 am

Capn Birds Eye wrote:Who are the blues? So many “blues” out there. How is there an article about a link to a move away for our Goalkeeper and not once is the club in question even named in the article lol

Birmingham :thumbup:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am

moonboots wrote:
Capn Birds Eye wrote:Who are the blues? So many “blues” out there. How is there an article about a link to a move away for our Goalkeeper and not once is the club in question even named in the article lol

Birmingham :thumbup:

Ah okay. I looked up blues originally and Chelsea came up and I was fairly sure it wasn’t Chelsea lol

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:32 am

Charlie Harper wrote:He is in talks with an overseas club I believe

Yes thats what i was told :thumbright:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yeah I had it from a good source, sad if true but apparently he wants to go and wanted to go last season.

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm

its a blog written by a Birmingham fan... bit like you writing one and referring to us as City... its just a fans opinion mate like some of ours think we should be signing Bale

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 pm

skidemin wrote:

its a blog written by a Birmingham fan... bit like you writing one and referring to us as City... its just a fans opinion mate like some of ours think we should be signing Bale

;) :thumbup:

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:51 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Yeah I had it from a good source, sad if true but apparently he wants to go and wanted to go last season.

True,it will be sad.but if he wants to go,and did last year,then this season would have maybe swung it for him,with Smithies grabbing the Number one shirt,and holding on so tightly to it,thus etheridge has been number two,not getting game time, and wants to be a number one elswhere,as he would have to pull up trees, to recapture the shirt in pre season.
been a good player for us, and if he decides to move on,I wish him good luck,plus he has his international career to coside too.plus he's in last year of contract,so maybe best to cash in,for however much,rather than him leave for nothing.would also save a few bob on wages,plus promote this young keeper we have, who looks the part according to reports. :old: :bluebird: