Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Exiled Bluebirds

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 am

At club level it's only city for me to be honest, you can't replace 20 years as a season ticket holder at city plus all those away trips with a club you have no connection with apart from current locality. I've gone to a few local games but I spend most of my time using thousands of Ugandan Shillings getting scores and updates if city are playing at the same time.

Saying that I do follow the Ugandan national team quite closely.... They beat Angola 3-1 yesterday.. Up the Cranes!

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Well when you live in Cardiff you can't really take an interest in other teams :lol:
As the teams closest to us are Swansea, Newport, Bristol City and Bristol Rovers :| (not including Welsh League teams, such a boring league :lol: )

:ayatollah:

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Live in between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth but always preferred Carmarthen for watching some local footie, however as I work in Aberystwyth and colleagues have links with the club I watch their matches a lot more now.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Huddersfield Town, but only for midweek matches because I come home every weekend ;)

Nice little family club, makes me realise how good our fans really are :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:28 am

Cwmbran Town :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:27 am

I've been to see plenty of teams around here - Sheffield Utd do student tickets for a fiver so I tend to go to them, I went to Wednesday v Palarse last game of last season because it was too expensive to go to a dead rubber game in Derby. I've been to see the oldest club in the world, Sheffield FC, and also popped down to Forest when they play the Jacks at home :lol:

Can't say I support any of them though, it's more like checking out the opposition, nothing will ever be the same as watching my one true love, the mighty Bluebirds. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:41 am

Indeed nothing will replace watching Cardiff City Dan. Interesting you say you have been to Sheffield FC because strangley that reminded me when I was in the Middle East and went to some local team there. While in Saudi I went to watch Al Hillal and what a stadium they had. In fact you could drivce around some of the smaler cities in Saudi and see they have a stadium alot bigger than CCS. Even more strange that these stadiums are not used at all except for perhaps a schoolboys team nearby. So imagine Sheffield FC owning a stadium the size of Brammel Lane and you have a Saudi setup without the grey skies.

Theire are some strange football environments out there.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:43 am

tomccfc you are hardly in exile :D

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Indeed nothing will replace watching Cardiff City Dan. Interesting you say you have been to Sheffield FC because strangley that reminded me when I was in the Middle East and went to some local team there. While in Saudi I went to watch Al Hillal and what a stadium they had. In fact you could drivce around some of the smaler cities in Saudi and see they have a stadium alot bigger than CCS. Even more strange that these stadiums are not used at all except for perhaps a schoolboys team nearby. So imagine Sheffield FC owning a stadium the size of Brammel Lane and you have a Saudi setup without the grey skies.

Theire are some strange football environments out there.

Different world isn't it in some ways?! I got to announce the team on the PA the first time I went down to SheffFC, that's how good they are!

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Southend Utd, very rarely go to see them though. Keep my shekels for the City. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I've lived in Bristol since the 70's, but have no interest whatsoever in the local teams I'm a Bluebird through and through, my second team when I was a youngster was Merthyr, I'm hoping to see some of their games over here in the Toolstation Western League.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am

Used to go Plymouth games when i lived down cornwall, then Man city when i had a spell up there, then Yeovil when i spent time down there. Im moving to Neath so hoping to get in a bit of Welsh Premier action down there.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:39 pm

I live right next to Melwood and go watch Liverpool train now and again and go to their matches sometimes.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Forest Of Dean... There is only one team on the planet :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am

Lived in London for many years. Not interested in anyone else.

Bluebirds all the way!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:36 am

Taffy in London wrote:Lived in London for many years. Not interested in anyone else.

Bluebirds all the way!

Same really - been back and forth living Cardiff or London for the past 8 years.
Back in London now - but never supported anyone else but Cardiff.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Living in Luton I guess I hope they win each week and hopefully bring league football back to this area, however I was with my girlfriend (now wife) at Kenilworth Rd in August 99 when they decided to burn the welsh flag in the stands!!!!!!!

So mixed feelings i guess but nobody else local, 20 miles away watford......Uh NO
20 miles north.......MK Dons......Uh NO, or Northampton.....Uh NO.

Cardiff home and away is all i`m interested in. :P

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Living in Derby its great for away games. Tomorrow is a 20 minute train journey to Leicester. Coventry is a Tuesday night away game in October, nice. Derby is obviously the best away game for me. Then I have Forest to look forward to in February, another 15 minute train journey. Also in less than an hour drive I have Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed and Doncaster. Just over an hours drive I have Barnsley and Leeds if I put my foot down. So cant complain.

However next season when we are in the Premier that will all change. Stoke will be the nearest away game which will take about an hours drive. I'm willing to suffer that.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 am

Ebbw vale rfc :( but i keep my spendohs for the bluebirds .. those long train rides take your money by the pound ;)

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Lived on the Bournemouth/Poole border for 18 years.
I am still a Cardiff season ticket holder and go to a few away games which costs a lot of money.
However, I do love watching Bournemouth as they have always played football the correct way, on a superb playing surface, despite shit support numbers wise ( they are third and had 5,500 watching them win 3-0 last week despite having scored 8 times in two previous home league games! )and having been bankrupt, and several times on the verge of going out of business. Their hard core fans do get behind them, and they take a good few away from home.
Very occasionally I have watched Poole, although they are several rungs below Bournemouth in the football league pyramid. They are also cash strapped after being slung out of their stadium a few years ago in favour of speedway ( very popular in Poole ) and greyhound racing and do not currently have a suitable ground in order to progress. They have won their league twice in a row but were not allowed to go up as it is not suitable. The season before last their top scorer was Charlie Austin ( now Swindon ) and Bournemouth agreed to sign him in the close season, but the football league would not sanction the deal because of their financial difficulties. ( I may be wrong here, but I believe that Poole is the largest town in England or Wales without a team in the football league )
Most people think of Bournemouth and Poole as one place ( Bournemouth Uni is in Poole ) although there is actually a
massive rivalry between them. The Poole fans ( they average a couple of hundred )hate Bournemouth with a passion as they reckon they were treated very badly when they briefly ground shared with then after being evicted from their old stadium

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:44 am

I suppose Borussia Dortmund is the closest to me. I am trying to muster a few others to go watch some matches, but i'll follow City wherever I go.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:43 pm

GermanBlue wrote:I suppose Lüdenscheid-Nord is the closest to me. I am trying to muster a few others to go watch some matches, but i'll follow City wherever I go.

soso ne Zecke die den Bluebirds fröhnt... ;)

aber schön noch mehr Deutsche an Bord zu haben... :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Hofmeister wrote:
GermanBlue wrote:I suppose Lüdenscheid-Nord is the closest to me. I am trying to muster a few others to go watch some matches, but i'll follow City wherever I go.

soso ne Zecke die den Bluebirds fröhnt... ;)

aber schön noch mehr Deutsche an Bord zu haben... :ayatollah:

Hey you two, I have followed Schalke for 20 years and am popping over in the new year to watch
them, perhaps it would be a good idea to have a bluebirds bit of a bash there with a few beers!
What you think?
Not far from Dortmund and I know hofmeister likes Schalke. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Schalke..now ur talking, mate.. :D :ayatollah:

I was born into a Schalke family, my grand even played for their reserves...

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:50 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Living in Derby its great for away games. Tomorrow is a 20 minute train journey to Leicester. Coventry is a Tuesday night away game in October, nice. Derby is obviously the best away game for me. Then I have Forest to look forward to in February, another 15 minute train journey. Also in less than an hour drive I have Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed and Doncaster. Just over an hours drive I have Barnsley and Leeds if I put my foot down. So cant complain.

However next season when we are in the Premier that will all change. Stoke will be the nearest away game which will take about an hours drive. I'm willing to suffer that.

I moved to Derby in January and the best thing about it is the distance to so many championship clubs

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:12 am

botw2 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Living in Derby its great for away games. Tomorrow is a 20 minute train journey to Leicester. Coventry is a Tuesday night away game in October, nice. Derby is obviously the best away game for me. Then I have Forest to look forward to in February, another 15 minute train journey. Also in less than an hour drive I have Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed and Doncaster. Just over an hours drive I have Barnsley and Leeds if I put my foot down. So cant complain.

I moved to Derby in January and the best thing about it is the distance to so many championship clubs

Absolutely.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Worcester City :D

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Western Blue wrote:Moved down to Pembrokeshire so the local 'Bluebirds', which is Haverfordwest county. Also Llanelli, as an old mate playes for them.

hey mate same as u keep that blue flag flying im living and working in milford haven at the moment

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 pm

used to live in Dublin and still go back to watch Shamrock Rovers, will be there next week

Re: " Exiled Bluebirds "

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Off to see Plymouth tonight, against local rivals Exeter, with group of Argyle fans.

Will let you know how get on !