Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff players looking likely to be leaving City '

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:27 pm

' Outgoings at Cardiff City '

By Glenn Williams

Monday 24th August 2020

There is a delicate balance which needs to be struck in order to ensure City have ample squad depth moving forward next season.

But, with anywhere between one and three players expected to be bought in the coming weeks, some City stars will have to make way.

We have already seen Danny Ward leave the club upon completion of his contract, signing for his former club Huddersfield Town, but there are likely to be more as the weeks go by.

Neil Etheridge is someone who is sought after at this level and for good reason, too. The goalkeeper was Cardiff City's Player of the Season in the Premier League and few can deny what a top-class player he is.

Birmingham City are one of a number of clubs who have sounded out the Bluebirds over a deal for Etheridge, who is desperate to get back playing again and wants to be a No.1 somewhere.

Any club that signs him will be getting a top goalkeeper, that's for sure.

The player has only one year left on his Bluebirds contract, too, and City would not want to let him leave for free next summer. His exit would fit all parties, really.

Joe Day would then move up to become the natural No.2.

The centre-backs are a tricky one.

Both Sol Bamba and Aden Flint spent much of last season, certainly the back end of it, watching on from the sideline.

Their only crime, too, was that Sean Morrison and Curtis Nelson saw their relationship blossom on the pitch to form a solid centre-back partnership.

It is understood the club are happy with both Bamba and Flint and would want them to stay, however both of them doubtless want more first-team action, given their experience and pedigree at this level.

They are both excellent trainers and leaders within the group and that certainly adds value, even if it can't be seen on match days.

Bamba is said to be wanted by Neil Warnock up at Middlesbrough, however the Bluebirds hierarchy hold the Ivorian in incredibly high regard and understand the importance of his relationship with the supporters. He also has a coaching role lined up for when he hangs up his boots, so that must be taken into consideration.

Flint could be one who actively seeks football elsewhere.

The towering centre-back started well under Warnock; he is excellent in the air and carried a real goal threat at the start of the season. But some believed he was just too similar to Morrison and if it became a straight shootout between the two, the skipper would always win when it came to selection.

Flint was bought for £4million last summer, too, so he looks a costly luxury to have on the bench and it may be best for all parties if he finds a club who needs a first-choice centre-back to slot straight in.

No clubs have sounded the Bluebirds out over a potential move for Flint yet

Re: ' Cardiff players looking likely to be leaving City '

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Birmingham have...sounded out.....last week it was almost done with him talking personal terms...

this Glen fella cant even remember what last weeks lie was...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Why not offer Flint to Warnock he bought him in the first place he brought him to Cardiff. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:28 pm

brynleybridle wrote:Why not offer Flint to Warnock he bought him in the first place he brought him to Cardiff. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Because he’s expensive,and Warnock knows it! He’s not as bad as people say 5 goals and 5 assists last season but he can’t play with Morrison as they are too similar. Unless we get a good offer for Flint or Morrison, I’d let Bamba go and bring back Brown to cover Nelson.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:33 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
brynleybridle wrote:Why not offer Flint to Warnock he bought him in the first place he brought him to Cardiff. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Because he’s expensive,and Warnock knows it! He’s not as bad as people say 5 goals and 5 assists last season but he can’t play with Morrison as they are too similar. Unless we get a good offer for Flint or Morrison, I’d let Bamba go and bring back Brown to cover Nelson.

too late to bring Brown back as he has already gone... i thought Flint was ok, seen far worse here but as you say him and Morrison doesnt seem to work..

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:04 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

Flint has his strengths but he's a donkey. Let's move away from this route one type player and onto better things.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:32 am

We need another player like Nelson (cheap from the lower leagues). One we can mould into the squad initially as a replacement for Flint or Bamba, then longer term as a replacement for Morrison.

I still think it's a shame we let Semi Ajayi leave.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am

Floppsy wrote:We need another player like Nelson (cheap from the lower leagues). One we can mould into the squad initially as a replacement for Flint or Bamba, then longer term as a replacement for Morrison.

I agree that Ajayi would have been superb but hindsight is a wonderful thing mate. Nobody really complained when he left.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Floppsy wrote:We need another player like Nelson (cheap from the lower leagues). One we can mould into the squad initially as a replacement for Flint or Bamba, then longer term as a replacement for Morrison.

What about Lockyer? Oh we let him go as well!

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:11 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I agree that Ajayi would have been superb but hindsight is a wonderful thing mate. Nobody really complained when he left.

its not even hindsight..
he was a free agent and the best offer he had was lge 1 Rotherham... had it been an obvious mistake at the time other championship clubs would have snapped him up... some players develop differently to others but decisions have to be made in the here and now...same with Lockyer , 7 years playing lower leagues or non league after leaving .
good luck to these boys for digging in and working hard but you quite simply cant keep them all just in case inb a few years they might be good enough...and not sure Ajayi is better than what we have, Lockyer certainly isnt...

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:49 am

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

its not even hindsight..
he was a free agent and the best offer he had was lge 1 Rotherham... had it been an obvious mistake at the time other championship clubs would have snapped him up... some players develop differently to others but decisions have to be made in the here and now...same with Lockyer , 7 years playing lower leagues or non league after leaving .
good luck to these boys for digging in and working hard but you quite simply cant keep them all just in case inb a few years they might be good enough...and not sure Ajayi is better than what we have, Lockyer certainly isnt...

Lockyer certainly looks better than our centre backs when he plays for Wales, he is comfortable on the ball and can actually play football rather than hoofball!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:50 am

Murphy if we can find a buyer